Very few people on our two roll calls.

PAKathy

We are on two Princess roll calls for next year, Regal Princess Baltic, June 1 and Royal Princess northbound Alaska, June 22.  So far there have been very few others joining the roll calls.  This seems unusual to me.  Previously there were lots of CC cruisers on each roll call.  Does anyone have any ideas why there are so few people joining?

1 hour ago, PAKathy said:

We are on two Princess roll calls for next year, Regal Princess Baltic, June 1 and Royal Princess northbound Alaska, June 22.  So far there have been very few others joining the roll calls.  This seems unusual to me.  Previously there were lots of CC cruisers on each roll call.  Does anyone have any ideas why there are so few people joining?

Sometimes that happens. We were on a HAL cruise this past summer. I joined a roll call that had been started, and the original poster and I ended up the only ones on the roll call. 

I noticed that too. I used to get some great info on the roll calls. Set up meets, share taxis, set up tours, etc. I believe however many people have migrated to fb. I don't happen to like that place so I hope people start to find the'r way back to the roll calls.

Thanks everyone for your responses.  I keep hoping some more people will sign up so we can coordinate some excursions before sailing.  I too have found the new format a bit confusing and hard to use.  Hopefully CC notices.

Since I am in and out of the roll calls all the time, I can tell you that some of the roll calls are VERY active and some not so much. Some of the roll calls have meet & greets, slot pulls, stateroom crawls, etc and on some people don't have anything planned even though people are posting. One of the Sky sailings has an incredible roll call filled with lots of great posters and activities.  

It's kind of the same as it's been throughout the last few years.  I have had some rolls calls where people were chatty and planned activities and then some where it wasn't active at all.   

3 hours ago, figmentdj said:

I noticed that too. I used to get some great info on the roll calls. Set up meets, share taxis, set up tours, etc. I believe however many people have migrated to fb. I don't happen to like that place so I hope people start to find the'r way back to the roll calls.

Yes we agree FB is the worse place to discuss any cruise plans:classic_blush:

I booked our Panama Canal cruise about 1 year out.

Our Roll Call didn't start getting really busy until about 1 month ago which is about 1 month before the cruise! I suppose some folks just don't plan far ahead!

From maybe half a dozen posters our Meet n Greet is now up to 53 and people are talking about tours together etc.

I was surprised that it took so long for folks to really start chatting!

I noticed Roll Calls no longer work like this did prior to Cruise Critics’ recent changes to the boards.  Roll Calls are now very confusing, they are no longer easy to find, and the the only way to join a Roll Call is to post a message on the Roll Call.  As other’s have stated the Cruise Critic apps for tablets and smart phones no longer work.  I have started using cruiseline(dot)com and the Shipmate app to track my roll calls.  

Edited by OR_Cowboy_1952
Typos

The roll calls for the Circle Caribbean and British Isles cruises we went on were very busy.  Lots of private tours coordinated.  Lots of gatherings attended.

The roll call for our upcoming Australia/New Zealand cruise is all but a ghost town.. 

9 hours ago, PAKathy said:

Be patient and stay active on your respective Roll Calls. I was quite surprised at how people seem to be joining Roll Calls later and later. While YMMV, I believe it's just a sign of the times. People are very busy and are doing things at the 11th hour.

Our Roll Calls for a Crown TA and then British Isles have been dead and then busy, then dead, then busy. We have booked several private excursions and I think the 4th taxi to Bruges is filled. 

Don’t give up yet. In the past I’ve been on Roll Calls that buzzed nonstop and some that were absolutely dead. People would post and ghost. 

I set up Bunco on a TA that had 36 people sign up to play and added more after we sailed. 

The next  Roll Call was the worst...no nothing. 

The new format is getting easier to navigate as I stumble along. 

Now if there was just rhyme or reason to why I can get kicked off 20 minutes after I get on, but can come back after 3 hours and I’m still logged on. 

Edited by jagsfan
FFS problem

13 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I don't participate in roll calls, I just don't see the point.  I have no idea if this is a common attitude.

I don't participate in roll calls, either.  While I appreciate the information that I can gather here on Cruise Critic I am not one to socialize with people I don't know on a cruise.  Nothing against those who enjoy roll calls, it's just not for me.

While I once was very active on roll calls I no longer participate.  One reason is that I have a friend who I met on a cruise a few years ago and we cruise together all the time and she isn’t interested.  The bigger reason is that I find most participants are just interested in organizing private tours which doesn’t interest me.  I like cruises with lots of sea days and keep busy all day on my own.