Cutting in Line at Buffet- Discuss

LynnTTT

There's been lots of discussion about people cutting in line at buffets, especially when there are no "stations" .  When there is one line and maybe you only get plates at the entrance.

I agree that you should get in line for that first go-thru. But if I've gone thru the line once and just want to go back and get another scoop of potatoes or a hot dog does it make any sense to get back at the end of the line and pass 100 items of food in order to get to the one you want?

Assuming you can get plates at various spots in the buffet line, what's wrong with getting a plate, going to the line and asking "do you mind, I just need a piece of that chicken?", do it fast and then get out of line and go back to your seat (or go to another place in line).

Opinions?  Remember, I'm not talking about butting in at the beginning of the line.  And never at lines for any other reason.  Just a Lido type buffet line.

There is nothing wrong with skipping the line to pick up a single item.  Nor is there anything wrong with going around a befuddled diner who has brought the line to a complete halt because they are unable to make up their minds.  You will however risk the disapproval or and public admonishment from anyone who believes otherwise. 

• Like 10

If you see an opening at the station which has what you want, going to it is not really “cutting” because you are not causing the next person - who may be hemming and hawing over which slice of cheese to take - any delay:  you are simply not letting them delay you, you are not “cutting”.

Mindlessly standing in a buffet line to follow a “no cutting” rule, when stepping into a gap in the line would not delay anyone is, simply put, mindless.   Of course you should not “cut” in front of anyone - but you should understand what “cutting” is.

• Like 5

I see nothing wrong with moving ahead into an empty space created by somebody who can't make up their mind or who is incredibly slow. I'm happy to do this first time around as well and simply pass on anything that's blocked by the roadblock. There's plenty of other stuff.

• Like 5

I am not a fan of buffets....but if I have to use one, I prefer those with separate "stations", so you can move about without staying "in line".  Yes...if someone is holding up the line, and you don't want what they're getting...pass on by.  

• Like 4

On my most recent cruise there was a lady having an issue with the toaster. She was there for over 60 seconds while people waited. I was about three people behind her. I finally went to her and said "do you mind if I skip ahead while you deal with the toaster?" She was like I'm sorry, of course. Once I did it, everyone followed. She was still standing there when I sat down. No need to be rude, but also no reason to waste anyone's time.

This is not a high school cafeteria. Passengers should act accordingly. There is nothing wrong with moving into an unoccupied spot to get the item you want. There is no shame in moving around the picky person who is examining each lettuce leaf they choose at the salad bar. It makes no sense waiting in line when what you want is on the other end of the buffet. I have never had any problem with people accusing me of cutting in line.

• Like 4

While I hate line cutters, in buffets I am fine with moving quickly into an empty spot to get an item--but not with forcing your way between a line of people with no gaps.  Just be aware of whether or not you will be holding up the line by cutting in.  It's all about respect.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

While I hate line cutters, in buffets I am fine with moving quickly into an empty spot to get an item--but not with forcing your way between a line of people with no gaps.  Just be aware of whether or not you will be holding up the line by cutting in.  It's all about respect.

On one cruise I was in line at the breakfast buffet (not even up to the food yet) when a woman cut in front of me, saying "I only want scrambled eggs." I replied, "Well, I only want corned beef hash." Didn't seem to faze her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see no problem with asking to get just one thing or another. My problem is the folks who put things back into the serving trays after having them on their plate. Also the people that each as they go along the buffet and have not idea that their fingers are now touching their mouths and every set of utensils in the line.

25 minutes ago, CruiseRonJulie said:

I see no problem with asking to get just one thing or another. My problem is the folks who put things back into the serving trays after having them on their plate. Also the people that each as they go along the buffet and have not idea that their fingers are now touching their mouths and every set of utensils in the line.

I'm looking forward to our first Oceania cruise where the buffet is served to you, you don't get to touch it 🙂

15 minutes ago, clo said:

I'm looking forward to our first Oceania cruise where the buffet is served to you, you don't get to touch it 🙂

We had this on the Aria and it was actually a pain.

It also lead to longer wait times when we had it on the Equinox (servers gave you the food due to a Noro alert)

The servers always gave out too much when I wanted a little try or would pick the slice of fish/cake that you may not have chosen. This still happened even if I said 'that one on the left' or 'just 1 slice of bacon'.

16 minutes ago, Velvetwater said:

It also lead to longer wait times when we had it on the Equinox (servers gave you the food due to a Noro alert)

The servers always gave out too much when I wanted a little try or would pick the slice of fish/cake that you may not have chosen. This still happened even if I said 'that one on the left' or 'just 1 slice of bacon'.

I'm quite assertive when the occasion calls for it so won't mind saying "oh, no, not that one," or "no, just one piece of bacon please."  When I have something that bothers me I either speak up or accept that by not speaking I'm giving my okay."  

21 minutes ago, Velvetwater said:

Totally agree. 

8 minutes ago, clo said:

I'm quite assertive when the occasion calls for it so won't mind saying "oh, no, not that one," or "no, just one piece of bacon please."  When I have something that bothers me I either speak up or accept that by not speaking I'm giving my okay."  

So am I but they are so in auto pilot/used to large portions I don't think some listen sometimes.

There's also the logistics that once it is on your plate they don't like putting it back. Even if its behind the serve station still.

Couple that with an amount of hungry Australians waiting behind you and the fact you just want to eat while it is hot.

In theory it did sound good but after experiencing personally I would rather serve myself at the buffet. I realise it is done for sanitary reasons and to cut waste but there was still food left on plates (including mine) and the usual handrails.surfaces and doorknobs ready for hands to touch.

I didn't and still don't see how it is worth it.

2 hours ago, fyree39 said:

Cutting in line for ANYTHING other than a forgotten condiment (pat of butter, tub of jelly) is extraordinarily rude. If you want food, even a piece of chicken or a slice of bread, get back in line with everyone else. 

I walk the buffet first and just get an idea of what's available.  Then I get in line already knowing what I want on my plate.

We usually do walk the buffet first, but I don't like to pile my plate up and I also don't like having too much food on y plate at one time.  So to eat lunch, I'd end up getting back in line one for a runny pasta dish, then again for a bit of chinese and again for a slice of pizza.  Maybe standing in line for 30 minutes.  

And it takes the same amount of time to get some more butter as it does to grab another pastry .

Edited by LynnTTT
another thought

I think cutting in a line is rude, even if it is for a piece of chicken,etc.  After saying that, if I'm in line behind someone who can't make up their mind after a litte while, I will go around them instead of standing their waiting for them to decide.  Best thing to do, what I do, is to walk around the buffet and see what is available where and then stand in the line at the station you want.

• Like 2

I don't mind.   And, I think it's a matter of geographical custom.  My anecdote:

Back in the 80s (before I traveled to Europe), I went with 2 girlfriends to Club Med in Canun.  First lunch after arrival: all the Americans were lined up like dutiful sheeple at the food line for the buffet.  The Europeans were darting in and out, getting what they wanted and moving on.  The next day at lunch,  everyone started doing the "darting" maneuver - no one yelled, no one got indignant, and it seemed like no one waited longer than usual.   When I finally did a trip to Europe, I notice that the breakfast  buffet at hotels seemed to work the same way - dart in and out.  

If you've ever been to a European ski resort, sometimes lift line queues are just a suggestion...

Since then, I'll do a quick observation of the line and do what I see I can do.  If some loud-mouth American says something, I can say "I don't understand" in several foreign languages 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I walk around the buffet first having a look at what is ón Offer. Before I decide what I want. I have never been in a cruise ship buffet where they only option.

From my observation they have everything repeated several times. Also generally there is usually no one at the end most sections.

Now if there is a line at the carvery or the omelet station then get in line, there should be no line cutting.

But if there are empty stations just walk up to them. I think it is crazy to stand in a line where what you want is 10 stations away and there is no one at that station.

Also I would never lean over someone to grab food or butter or whatever that too would be rude.

• Like 2