Family left in Ketchikan

3 hours ago, breezy_carol said:

Frank, I hear so many good things about Captain Marek.  Do you know how long he will be on Radiance?  We sail August 2.

According to the Current Captains thread, Captain Marek started his rotation on May 31 2019.  10 weeks would have him getting off the ship August 9 so you may have him as Captain!

Wolfcathorse has a spreadsheet she keeps and may can give you a date he leaves the ship :) 

I was on a day trip out of London - Windsor, Stonehedge, Bath.   On our first stop, one couple was late when they returned to the Coach , the guide stated “we are on a tight schedule and anybody late will have to make their own way back to London”.  No one was late.

42 minutes ago, ryano said:

According to the Current Captains thread, Captain Marek started his rotation on May 31 2019.  10 weeks would have him getting off the ship August 9 so you may have him as Captain!

Wolfcathorse has a spreadsheet she keeps and may can give you a date he leaves the ship 🙂

Thank you.  I had seen that thread and didn't understand how to read it.  It would be nice to have him as captain, from what I hear, but I will enjoy the cruise regardless.

3 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

No problem Snit... I wish you had mentioned that in your post. Obviously you're light years ahead of 99.99% of us on this forum with that kind of travel time and experience, including myself. My post was aimed more to the ignorant assumptions of safety/people dying/nothing to do/excursions to Yukon/etc. 

That is ok Hoopster.  I have been extremely fortunate to have had the opportunity to travel extensively.  Just took up serious cruising in 2008.  It would be wonderful if everyone who enjoys seeing the world would have the opportunity to do so.  Believe it or not I did this on a teacher's salary.  I was fortunate in that my husband was in aviation management until EAL decided to go belly up.  Then we had to resort to auto, train, ferry and ship travel.  Tough life.  We did not do Yukon when in Alaska but worked around via Alaska ferry, rail and one week car rental when we drove from Anchorage to Homer.  We did not stay in any hotels just B&B's.  As I posted hope this family is ok as we did not find much of interest in Ketchikan thus concerned that they did not make it back to the ship.

6 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Really dangerous port? No

Many tourists die in Alaska? No

Excursion to Yukon from Ketchikan? No

Nothing to do in Ketchikan? Yes, lots to do... however if anyone's idea of visiting a port in Alaska to walk around a couple of blocks, visit Diamonds international and have a drink then yes, of course you will be disappointed. I think it's obvious common sense that Alaska is all about the great outdoors and wilderness, not shopping and walking around aimlessly.

3 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

No problem Snit... I wish you had mentioned that in your post. Obviously you're light years ahead of 99.99% of us on this forum with that kind of travel time and experience, including myself. My post was aimed more to the ignorant assumptions of safety/people dying/nothing to do/excursions to Yukon/etc. 

Since this seems your post was partly in response to my first one, let me repeat some info as it may be you somehow missed it - the point of my post was less about the specific excursions out of Ketchikan and more about that accidents can happen that could cause someone to be late for a ship as an alternative to the immediate reaction I often see that they are just irresponsible idiots. To be honest, I was about to head to the office and just grabbed an Alaska excursion to put in as an example (forgetting in my rush how obsessive some people in CC can be over the most minor details and the need of some to argue over air.

In fact we love Alaska and British Columbia and try to spend extra time there anytime we visit; it is highly unusual in our experience to find arrogant or mean-spirited people in either.  But most people aren’t heading to Alaska or BC to kick back - most are seeking small adventures or large ones in areas of relative wilderness (that is after all the attraction for many to the area; that’s not a slander but a fact). We are talking about cruisers here, not your AK or CA average citizen. For example, residents  don’t typically pay hundreds of dollars to go up in a helicopter to get a bird’s eye view of the landscape. They aren’t people many people in those areas who, for example, are in their 60’s or who have children with them doing things that they don’t normally do not do in terrain that can be difficult even for those with a great deal of experience with it.  My post merely suggested that there are great expanses of wilderness in *many parts of Alaska and Canada* and people visiting can be injured - that is leagues away from suggesting that the port is dangerous. 

July 11, 2018 -  Floatplane crashes near Ketchikan with only minor injuries to 11 aboard.
August 17, 2018 - Soldotna Public Safety Dispatch was notified of an injured hiker approximately 2 miles up the Powerline Trail near Flattop Mountain in Anchorage. 
August 25, 2018 - Soldotna Public Safety Dispatch was notified of an injured hiker on Byron Glacier Trail in Portage Valley outside of Anchorage. 
August 27, 2019 - A woman received minor scratches after an encounter with a family of black bears on Married Man’s Trail in Ketchikan.
May 15, 2019 - Alaska floatplane crash: 6 dead, 10 injured after midair collision.
June 27, 2019 - Floatplane with 5 aboard flips in Ketchikan harbor.
June 16, 2019 - Alaska State Troopers received a report of two overdue hikers from the Juneau Ice Field.  Investigation revealed Kirk Miller, 67 of New York, and Bohdan Petryszak, 69 of New York, were scheduled to return to Juneau by 1800 hours on 6/15/19.  The hikers were located alive in a deep ravine with hazardous terrain and a hoist was required as the terrain was too hazardous for searchers to attempt rescue.  

Maybe your wealth of knowledge of Alaska and Canada is vastly superior to that of my brother-in-law who is a BC native and the AK warden with whom we had a conversation about this issue both areas last June. I doubt that is the case, but we will agree that anything is possible. But it is both rude and unnecessary for you to call people “ignorant” because they hold a different opinion from you (or because you misinterpreted what you read). I do understood that you included others in the name calling, but as for the part about my post you should know that you perceived my statements incorrectly and created a problem where there wasn’t one. 

Edited by 2Beeze
  • Like 2

We were in Barbados on the Song of Norway back in 1990 when we (my parents and I) almost missed the boat. They had hired a private cab driver who took us all over the island... great tour until we realized we were on the far side of the island with an hour left to get back on the ship. Driver proceeded to get not one, but two flat tires... drove us back to the pier on rims. We were running towards the boat in bathing suits and coverups (and, fortunately, my dad’s AmEx) as they were pulling up the gangplanks. 

Maya Chan earlier this month is the first non-ship sponsored excursion I’ve taken on the half dozen cruises I’ve been on as an adult. 

22 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Don't know what the situation was here...

In most ports, it is self-important people who disregard all aboard times and think that the ship will wait for them. You see it on many shore excursions, so every one sits and waits and loses out on tour time. Captains should just wave bye bye to all of the pier runners.

We these ships carrying 6000 passengers I'm surprised that it doesn't happen more often.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, frank808 said:

Good news from Capt Marek.  The family is ok and will be reboarding at our next stop tomorrow in Juneau.  

That is great to hear.  When I looked the other night, there were flights from Ketchikan to Juneau non stop.  Pricey for a 1 hour flight, starting price was $369pp, but at least they can finish out the cruise.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, frank808 said:

Good news from Capt Marek.  The family is ok and will be reboarding at our next stop tomorrow in Juneau.  

Great news. Thank you Frank. And thank you for staying on topic. Lol.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

Since this seems your post was partly in response to my first one, let me repeat some info as it may be you somehow missed it - the point of my post was less about the specific excursions out of Ketchikan and more about that accidents can happen that could cause someone to be late for a ship as an alternative to the immediate reaction I often see that they are just irresponsible idiots. To be honest, I was about to head to the office and just grabbed an Alaska excursion to put in as an example (forgetting in my rush how obsessive some people in CC can be over the most minor details and the need of some to argue over air.

In fact we love Alaska and British Columbia and try to spend extra time there anytime we visit; it is highly unusual in our experience to find arrogant or mean-spirited people in either.  But most people aren’t heading to Alaska or BC to kick back - most are seeking small adventures or large ones in areas of relative wilderness (that is after all the attraction for many to the area; that’s not a slander but a fact). We are talking about cruisers here, not your AK or CA average citizen. For example, residents  don’t typically pay hundreds of dollars to go up in a helicopter to get a bird’s eye view of the landscape. They aren’t people many people in those areas who, for example, are in their 60’s or who have children with them doing things that they don’t normally do not do in terrain that can be difficult even for those with a great deal of experience with it.  My post merely suggested that there are great expanses of wilderness in *many parts of Alaska and Canada* and people visiting can be injured - that is leagues away from suggesting that the port is dangerous. 

July 11, 2018 -  Floatplane crashes near Ketchikan with only minor injuries to 11 aboard.
August 17, 2018 - Soldotna Public Safety Dispatch was notified of an injured hiker approximately 2 miles up the Powerline Trail near Flattop Mountain in Anchorage. 
August 25, 2018 - Soldotna Public Safety Dispatch was notified of an injured hiker on Byron Glacier Trail in Portage Valley outside of Anchorage. 
August 27, 2019 - A woman received minor scratches after an encounter with a family of black bears on Married Man’s Trail in Ketchikan.
May 15, 2019 - Alaska floatplane crash: 6 dead, 10 injured after midair collision.
June 27, 2019 - Floatplane with 5 aboard flips in Ketchikan harbor.
June 16, 2019 - Alaska State Troopers received a report of two overdue hikers from the Juneau Ice Field.  Investigation revealed Kirk Miller, 67 of New York, and Bohdan Petryszak, 69 of New York, were scheduled to return to Juneau by 1800 hours on 6/15/19.  The hikers were located alive in a deep ravine with hazardous terrain and a hoist was required as the terrain was too hazardous for searchers to attempt rescue.  

Maybe your wealth of knowledge of Alaska and Canada is vastly superior to that of my brother-in-law who is a BC native and the AK warden with whom we had a conversation about this issue both areas last June. I doubt that is the case, but we will agree that anything is possible. But it is both rude and unnecessary for you to call people “ignorant” because they hold a different opinion from you (or because you misinterpreted what you read). I do understood that you included others in the name calling, but as for the part about my post you should know that you perceived my statements incorrectly and created a problem where there wasn’t one. 

Thank you for posting, even without looking it up  I'm aware all accidents in Alaska. Most from  Air and Water Travel, but can't forget Nature... 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, frank808 said:

So happy to hear they are ok.  Thanks for informing us.

17 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

No, but they tend to move Robert around a lot.  He joined the Serenade in May. 

Ahh...thanks.  I know he loved being on Radiance Alaska runs due to being home to Vancouver every other week.  He is a very nice...(and very smart!) man.  Lots of energy, and a wealth of knowledge about music!  

13 hours ago, frank808 said:

Thanks for the update. That was the only news I was waiting to hear on this thread. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, island lady said:

He is?!!!  Do you know how long?  

I am on Serenade early 2021 for over three months!  🙂  Would love to see him again!  

He boarded in Amsterdam during the TA, so early May

Ketchikan was one of my favorite ports when on X a couple of years ago - my son and I did the floatplane excursion to the Misty Fjords which was amazing and then a walkabout the town to the Lumberjack Show.  A fantastic day.

Cheers!

Joan

Dublin Ireland

On 7/15/2019 at 7:45 AM, Snit13 said:

Had ship held for over an hour when 2 bus loads on ship sponsored tour in Patagonia were late due to some private tour vehicle getting stuck and blocking road.  We all got a big cheer.  Some  ship officers were on the bus with us and I guess they were needed back on ship so captain and passengers waited for us.

That is the catch.  They WILL wait if you are on cruise sponsored excursion.  They will wait a "little while" for others on self chosen tours, but are under no obligation to wait if you are late.  

4 minutes ago, CapeGal said:

That is the catch.  They WILL wait if you are on cruise sponsored excursion.  They will wait a "little while" for others on self chosen tours, but are under no obligation to wait if you are late.  

If you are on a ship sponsored excursion, they will wait if they can.  If they have to leave port, they will pay the costs to get you to the ship at the next port or at the port of disembarkation.

In the unlikely event that your tour is significantly delayed, we’ll make all the arrangements for you to return to the ship at the earliest opportunity at no expense to you.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booked/shore-excursions

On 7/14/2019 at 9:20 PM, cb at sea said:

What is up with that?  I mean...how do you miss the ship?  I don't get it! Some people are operating in the ozone, I reckon.

As grandparents, my wife and I know how easy it is to be delayed when you are traveling with children.  For example, a child says "My ear hurts", you go to the nearest emergency clinic and then to Walgreens.  By the time you come out of Walgreens with a bottle of Amoxicillin, the ship is long gone.  We take the grand children to Disney World and cruise without them.  They like Disney World better anyway and, while we sometimes lose a fast pass,  "It's a Small World" never leaves without us!

Edited by actuarian

Back in 2001, on our honeymoon we were on the Voyager of the Seas. Our excursion was late coming back. There were several of us and there the ship was with everyone yelling at us. Lucky for us it was a RC excursion and a lot of us walking back. Needless to say, we have never been late again. Casio G-shock for the win!! 🙂