Dinner in the Windjammer

8 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Thanks!👍

If at all possible we will stick with the MDR - dinner in the WJ is just not what we would like!👎

Just the site of the melting mushy ice-cream and the line at the crepe - station and people working on their laptops or reading books....is turning me off enough - to leave that place - before I even looked at the mushed up foods....😱🙄🤢

Well, some things are just not suitable for buffet serving due to their temperature or consistency.  I don’t really mind people on their laptops or reading in the buffet area, so long as they aren’t tying up tables that others might be waiting for.  In the dining room, I would agree that is not an appropriate place for that, as it may be making it more difficult for the kitchen and wait staff, not to mention, just not the proper place for it, with the intent and perception  of being a more refined dinner venue.  

9 minutes ago, A2Mich said:

Was it the selection, presentation, or quality that made it so bad? I’ve found some dishes that were either rather bland, over seasoned, or some that were just not what I was expecting, or how I would make something.  Which is why I enjoy the selection and variety, as I can generally find something that appeals to me.  Inconsistency seems to be the norm for many buffets in my experience.  While the preparation should theoretically be the same each time, I think the holding times for various dishes is not consistent, whether they are kept in a hot box too long, or on the serving line for too long.  Dishes can become flavorless, dry out, change in texture, etc.

Quality for sure on that occasion...  Carol said

it best the previous page: results will vary from ship to ship. This exact same answer goes along with Chops, Giovanni’s, your stateroom

attendant, the Coconut ranger cookies, production shows, etc etc etc etc. Unfortunately, as repeated on this forum often, RCI = Really Consistently Inconsistent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Quality for sure on that occasion...  Carol said

it best the previous page: results will vary from ship to ship. This exact same answer goes along with Chops, Giovanni’s, your stateroom

attendant, the Coconut ranger cookies, production shows, etc etc etc etc. Unfortunately, as repeated on this forum often, RCI = Really Consistently Inconsistent.

Good to know!  Thanks for the info.

We usually opt for the WJ.  Don't have to wait for tablemates.  Selection is usually the same. I can eat the entree I choose before having a salad.  We've even had the much dissed lobster tails in there.  Smiles & Kindness go a long way.  We even bus our own tables at breakfast, telling the staff they are not our servants.  I've too often seen people cruising around looking for a proper table when all they need to do is set their "stuff" down and carry a few napkins, coffee cups to the bussing station.

1 hour ago, A2Mich said:

Have to agree about drink service.  Ok if you have a drink package and carry that plastic cup around if you want soda.  Otherwise, you are limited to whatever is pre-poured into glasses or coffee.  Outside of that, it seemed to be looking for a bar nearby.

Simple to just walk in with your glasses of wine and find a table.  Grab a few bites for late night snacks...and done.  😉 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

Simple to just walk in with your glasses of wine and find a table.  Grab a few bites for late night snacks...and done.  😉 

We aren’t wine drinkers, but know what you mean. Just as easy to stop at a bar before going in.  Getting subsequent drinks can be a challenge, though.

31 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

Why would anyone want a 'cold' or 'wet' burger or hot dog when there are so many other foods available to try in the WJ?

Amazing how our experiences in the WJ are so different than some other folks on here......

When you have picky eaters, such as my kids, burgers and dogs are a welcome find. My kids won’t eat grilled chicken, and are super picky even about pizza and Mac and cheese, won’t eat spaghetti, and the list goes on and on.  

Now, to me that is interesting.   I have never experienced cold food in the WJ.  (unless, of course, it was supposed to be cold).  You can see the heating elements right there.  Not sure how it can be cold.

And I also never eat hotdogs or hamburgers or pizza for dinner.  Sure, they are there, for A2Mich's kids, but I don't want them.  I find much more interesting stuff to eat. 

And I really like rice pudding.  I have never ever seen that in the MDR.  🙂  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Now, to me that is interesting.   I have never experienced cold food in the WJ.  (unless, of course, it was supposed to be cold).  You can see the heating elements right there.  Not sure how it can be cold.

And I also never eat hotdogs or hamburgers or pizza for dinner.  Sure, they are there, for A2Mich's kids, but I don't want them.  I find much more interesting stuff to eat. 

And I really like rice pudding.  I have never ever seen that in the MDR.  🙂  

LOL...😁. I grew up at least trying nearly anything.  Even now, I’ll at least try different things.  But the kids?  Nope. Not a chance.  I don’t mind a burger or hot dog once in a while for dinner, but usually more for lunch.  As a matter of fact, just had smoked and grilled Costco beef dogs and homemade chili last night. 😉. That’s the beauty of a buffet.... options for almost anyone!

I live in a very rural area where everything is at least 45 minutes from me.  We rarely eat out (I do have lunch with the girlfriends every now and then).   I like the MDR because it is nice to sit and have someone bring me my food.  I like to meet and talk with strangers from other places.  

I look forward to onion soup and savory bites.  And someone handing me my napkin and putting it in my lap (but I don't think they do that anymore), picking up my plate and asking me if there is anything else I want.  Cause it never happens at my house.

I cook excellent hamburgers on the grill at home.  I don't want a hamburger or hot dog when I go somewhere, especially on a cruise.  I want real food on a plate that has a meat, starch and vegetable.  Yes, I know all food is "real" but even on embarkation day I see people going straight to the hamburger station to get one of those burgers and I wonder "why choose that with all these choices?"  But then I remind myself it is their vacation and their right to eat what makes them happy.   I do stand by the hamburger station at times and wait for them to dump the hot fries!

However, I do understand people with children sometimes do things differently.  If I had ever had children I would have given them whatever they wanted while we were on vacation.  It is a vacation.  And they can go home and say "I had hamburgers every night" if that is what makes them happy.  Or even RCL pizza.  When my sis' son was little all he wanted to eat was baloney sandwiches.   The doc said it won't kill him and sooner or later he will be tired of baloney and he was right.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, bouhunter said:

fOn a 7 night cruise we do a 3 night specialty package and the other nights in Windjammer.

We do the same.  But may do one or two MDR, especially lobster night. 🙂

🙂Although we do 9 - 12 night cruises, so more time to mix it up.

Edited by SRF

19 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Seriously doubt that! 🙄🤔

They are not china plates, but they are heavy duty, reusable plates.

Not disposable plastic plates.

And yes, real metal tableware.

• Like 3

On 10/6/2019 at 7:52 AM, KeywestK said:

We will be sailing next week on Majesty (our third time on her.)  We booked this cruise late, and MTD was filled, so they assigned us Late Seating.  We are currently waitlisted for MTD.  So, DH informed me that if we can't get switched to MTD when we're on the ship, he prefers we just have dinner each evening in the WJ.   Yikes!  After 25 years of cruising, we have never once had dinner in the WJ.  What can we expect?

Can't speak to Majesty specifically...but dinner in Windjammer usually very good to great.  Quieter than MDR, no long waits, can be casual.  It's not hectic like lunch time.  You will likely see at least 75% of the main MDR menu being offered, along with many other items.  Expect larger desert displays, roaming waiters to bring drinks, sometimes an ice cream sundae bar, etc.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SailingSal said:

We have heard so many positive comments about dinner in the WJ we tried it one night on Anthem.  It was a terrible experience for us - crowded and poor selection and quality of food.  That doesn't mean we won't try it again - but never on Anthem!

We felt the same on our Anthem cruise back in March.  Only ate breakfast 1 time and dInner one time in the WJ.   Food was Meh and the crows were insane.  Might just be that one because the food was much better all around on every other ship I have beenon.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, A2Mich said:

Food used to be better quality years ago, in my opinion, as was the course by course service.  Then again, ships tended to be smaller and didn’t offer so many diversions as they do now.  Years ago, spending two hours in the dining room wasn’t a big deal, as there weren’t many other things happening at the same time.  Now there are so many options for things to do, I would rather spend my vacation time doing other things, instead of being in the dining room.  Many years ago, there were no dinner options other than the dining room.  First cruise was on the Carnivale, and there was no buffet option, other than a continental breakfast on the pool deck, and no MTD type option.  We are the type of people that go on a cruise every few years, so our time is better spent exploring the ship and it’s activities.  

My first cruise wasn't until 2009 but speaking to many old-timers that used to cruise in the 1970's & 80's, they all agree that dinner was the big event of the night. which is they people used to get "glammed up" for the night. 

I think one of the reasons for the death of formal night is that - as you stated - with so many diversions, most want to eat and move on and don't want to take the time to get dressed-up or eat a leisurely dinner.

23 hours ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

I'm a sucker for the escargot in the MDR! - has anyone spotted it in the WJ for dinner as I'd most certainly give it a go if so?

If you see an attendant in the Windjammer - just ask for the escargot - they'll go out of the way to get it for you.

• Thanks 1