Dinner in the Windjammer

We will be sailing next week on Majesty (our third time on her.)  We booked this cruise late, and MTD was filled, so they assigned us Late Seating.  We are currently waitlisted for MTD.  So, DH informed me that if we can't get switched to MTD when we're on the ship, he prefers we just have dinner each evening in the WJ.   Yikes!  After 25 years of cruising, we have never once had dinner in the WJ.  What can we expect?

6 minutes ago, KeywestK said:

We will be sailing next week on Majesty (our third time on her.)  We booked this cruise late, and MTD was filled, so they assigned us Late Seating.  We are currently waitlisted for MTD.  So, DH informed me that if we can't get switched to MTD when we're on the ship, he prefers we just have dinner each evening in the WJ.   Yikes!  After 25 years of cruising, we have never once had dinner in the WJ.  What can we expect?

we have not sailed on the Majesty, but we have had many dinners in the WJ on other ships and enjoyed them very much. 

Sometimes we like the flexibility to go when we choose...

• Like 3

The WJ at night is very different than the WJ during the day. It's much quieter, the lights are low, they have great specialty or cooked to order options, each night will have a theme. The dessert selection is much better than the MDR. It's a well kept secret. 

• Like 8

for the last 6-7 years we haven't done MDR.  They turn down the lights at Windjammer, it's usually pretty calm and quiet.  Food is fine, some or all of the same things they're offering in the MDR.  And you can come and go as you please and eat what you want when you want.  Maybe best of all it isn't a 1.5 hour process.    On a 7 night cruise we do a 3 night specialty package and the other nights in Windjammer.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

for the last 6-7 years we haven't done MDR.  They turn down the lights at Windjammer, it's usually pretty calm and quiet.  Food is fine, some or all of the same things they're offering in the MDR.  And you can come and go as you please and eat what you want when you want.  Maybe best of all it isn't a 1.5 hour process.    On a 7 night cruise we do a 3 night specialty package and the other nights in Windjammer.

Same here. We used to enjoy dressing up and eating in the MDR. Now we prefer 1 or 2 meals at a specialty restaurant and the rest at WJ. I have a gluten allergy and have  had many options made available for me in the WJ. Plus, DH & I can go when ever we want, for as short or long a meal as we want. 

I think you will be happily surprised. 

• Like 2

I have been trying for years to get my wife to try the Windjammer for dinner. She has always balked. Om our last cruise with our son and his girlfriend, I told them I was going to eat in there one night. I said they were welcome to join me if they wished or they could eat in the MDR. They all decided to give it a try with me. We found the choices to more extensive than in the MDR and the food was much better than what is offered during lunch. We really enjoyed the experience and my wife has agreed to do it again on future cruises.

• Like 1

Usually do dinner in the WJ one night when I cruise. Typically if we're getting back from an excursion late and don't want to fuss to get ready for dinner. There's a wider variety of choices and typically some kind of "theme". Also, in terms of drinks, they had a happy hour I think up to 7pm(BOGO house drinks). Try it and enjoy, it's a nice break from the dining room.

• Like 2

Don't worry...go to the dining room on boarding day, and tell them what you want.  Folks are forever changing the seating...they will get you what you want...if not early seating, them MTD....either way, you won't be relegated to the buffet!

we did the WJ for dinner on the last couple of cruises & I enjoyed the variety & convenience but missed sitting with other people and relaxing over a glass of wine while the waiters took care of us.   I would still eat there again  though if I was tired & hungry.  You could always have a late day snack & wait for MDR

Edited by Jax129

4 hours ago, KeywestK said:

What can we expect?

To us it is on the same level as Burger King - plastic plates and cups no set tables.....just not what we expect and want for dinner ( set aside the awful and cold food ) - a no go zone for dinner!👎😱

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik
  • Like 4

We have heard so many positive comments about dinner in the WJ we tried it one night on Anthem.  It was a terrible experience for us - crowded and poor selection and quality of food.  That doesn't mean we won't try it again - but never on Anthem!

8 minutes ago, SailingSal said:

We have heard so many positive comments about dinner in the WJ we tried it one night on Anthem.  It was a terrible experience for us - crowded and poor selection and quality of food.  That doesn't mean we won't try it again - but never on Anthem!

Well it depends on who recommended it - if  those people are totally thrilled when they see the soggy Burgers and Pizza and French fries - of course they will recommend the WJ and prefer it to the MDR! 🙄👎

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik
  • Haha 2

You will have all kinds of opinions on where to eat, long story short you can probably get into the dining room when you want by talking to them on the first night.

My wife does not like long slow dinners so the MDR is not her favorite, I like to be able to sample 5-10 items then go back and have more of what I liked.  My only problem is the MDR has built in portion control!  Even though you can get seconds it usually takes a long time and if you ask for 2 entrees they bring out both plates at the same time and there is never enough space.

So give it a try stop by on your way to the dining room to see how it looks.

Desserts are better so if you want stop by there later on for dessert.

No one but you can decide if you like it or not, from cruise to cruise things will change.

We've only done it once in 35 cruises.  DH liked the food, I did not but it could have been the night.  However the desserts were much better.  We will try it again.  I still remember all those cakes sitting there.  Maybe we should routinely go there for dessert.

4 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

The WJ at night is very different than the WJ during the day. It's much quieter, the lights are low, they have great specialty or cooked to order options, each night will have a theme. The dessert selection is much better than the MDR. It's a well kept secret. 

Was. 😜

• Like 1

I think the more you cruise, the more you realize that you only have to do what YOU want to do.   After about our 35th cruise, we realized we don't really enjoy eating in the dining for most of our cruises anymore.  Since then, we don't feel the pressure to dress up, get to the dining room at a certain time and to get done with dinner by a certain time to make the main show.

We were really impressed with the WJ for dinner on the Jewel a few weeks ago.  We ate there every night and were welcomed so nicely by the maître d' and two different waiters without fail every single night.  They seemed genuinely happy to have us there.  We were amazed at how little it's used at night and how delicious the food was.  

Give it a try!  The more you cruise, the more you realize cruising is not about rushing from this venue to that activity the whole time - it's about doing just what you want to do.

• Like 5