"Unmentionables"

Seasick Sailor

7 hours ago, MAVIP said:

What I learned from this discussion: tip the laundry men/women.  A while ago I read the suggestion on CC to thank them, which I did on our voyages this year. Next cruise I will find out how to send them an extra. Once in a while I put an extra tip in the basket with our dirty shoes, but I would not venture that in the laundry bag (risking laundry tag to be attached and a washed bill 🙂 ).

I put mine in an envelope and give it to the Front Desk for delivery to the laundry room.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, MAVIP said:

What I learned from this discussion: tip the laundry men/women.  A while ago I read the suggestion on CC to thank them, which I did on our voyages this year. Next cruise I will find out how to send them an extra. Once in a while I put an extra tip in the basket with our dirty shoes, but I would not venture that in the laundry bag (risking laundry tag to be attached and a washed bill 🙂 ).

If you put it in a little enveloppe with the mention " Thank you" inside the bag  on top of the clothes before closing it, it will reach whomever will be taking care of your laundry

• Thanks 2

On 12/4/2019 at 11:58 AM, Despegue said:

Why are people calling underwear unmentionables??! 

Panties, boxers, bra’s, banana hammocks deserve to be called by their names 😀

Seasick Sailor:  BECAUSE Despegue... I started the thread and I was trying to be "delicate" regarding personal underthings. And I am not concerned about boxers or banana thingy's, but my lacy unmentionables.

Thank you, Seasick Sailor.

Delicate items should be mentioned with delicate words.

Batbara

Edited by bcummin

On 12/4/2019 at 2:47 AM, dot73 said:

I would imagine that the median age of women on HAL is about 60 so going commando, especially braless, would raise a few eyebrows. :classic_biggrin: I definitely wouldn't be able to run or walk fast. 😀

60 ? I thought more like 80  !!!   We would call the umentionables, frillies here.😮

Please enlighten me...'Banana Hammocks' was mentioned, not heard of those in Australia.  Does one sleep in them, like the sailors do? 

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, NSWP said:

60 ? I thought more like 80  !!!   We would call the umentionables, frillies here.😮

Please enlighten me...'Banana Hammocks' was mentioned, not heard of those in Australia.  Does one sleep in them, like the sailors do? 

The more detailed description of "Banana Hammock" would not be permitted on CC.  You will have to use your imagination.

• 1 year later...

You all seem to have had good luck with laundry on HAL, but I don't want things lost or damaged or shrunken (is that a word?)   We have light-weight unmentionables, not heavy undies.

Okay, here goes how we do laundry.  Part of this method was taught to me by a traveler from New Zealand that we met in Valparaiso, Chile before taking the HAL Antarctica cruise:

We don't have our stewards come in the evening, just in the morning.  When you take your shower before dinner, you place your soiled, light-weight top, undies, for example, lying stretched out in the bottom of the tub.  You turn on the shower, and while showering, you walk around on the clothes in the bottom of the tub.  Put plenty of shampoo from the push-button dispenser in the tub and you are the washing machine, so to speak.  Then, you wring out the clothes and dry yourself off and get out of the tub/shower. 

Then, one by one, you place your clothes in a dry bath towel, fold over and walk on/stand on that towel to really get out the moisture from your wet clothes.  We have the stewards bring us 10 or so wire coat hangers in the beginning of the cruise plus ask them to always have four bath towels in our cabin.  So, shake out the wet clothes, wrinkles haven't set, hang them on hangers on the clothes line over the tub.  I bring 10 or so really sturdy clothes pins--I clothes-pin the hangers properly spaced on the line, and clip each one with a clothes pin to maintain spacing. Socks are clothes-pinned at the toe hanging down just in case they don't dry, at least the part that goes inside the shoe is dry.  Works GREAT.  Usually you have only 1-2 tops, socks, undies, so it's not really a big problem.  We've done this for 13 years at least.  And they dry overnight, so they're put away before steward comes in the morning.  My husband even does his own!  TMI?  🙂

Edited by 12cruise2
added words
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 10:04 AM, FlaMariner said:

OK, I never thought I'd be responding to this type of topic but here goes.......

We take what we call "one more times" on trips......It's underwear that we are ready to toss.  We bring them and wear them and toss them.  

We've also been known to take "one more time" pants and shirts for the day before arrival.  Travel in them and then throw them away. 

Ditto.  Even on long cruises.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 12:30 PM, cat shepard said:

I am one lucky woman. I have used the unlimited laundry packages to the fullest on different ships, and NEVER had a problem. Though one of my workout bras went missing for a day.

Same here. Everything including the unmentionables have come back, no problem. Giggled the first time all my undies arrived nicely folded, wrapped in tissue paper, nestled in a basket. Service, HAL style. 

• Like 3

On the K Dam inaugural, our underwear was lost in the Laundry, for 5 days and we had to buy more in the next port. After that our underwear, along with other peoples were found.  We were called to the front desk, to look through a big box of undies. I sent my husband, hoping that he would recognize ours. He Did.

Hal reimbursed us for the undies bought on shore. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 9:40 AM, dot73 said:

I'm getting giddy as my NA cruise is 4 days away.  

Enjoy! My mom and I got back last week and both agree this was by far the best cruise we have ever done despite all the covid changes. Go early to any music walk venues as they fill up well in advance of the show, with the comedians being full as early as 40 minutes before show time - no issues on our cruise in the Mainstage. 

So I always send mine to the laundry and have not had any issues. My mom will try to bring enough for the entire trip so she doesn't have to send anything out. I think men are very lucky in this area - much of our unmentionables are less susceptible to damage in the laundry if the wrong setting is chosen. 

On 12/3/2019 at 6:27 AM, Seasick Sailor said:

Lol.. low heat. on QM2, my lace came back melted!

I wonder what the high heat would have done! You might not have gotten anything back at all. 

Former road warrior here.  To answer the original question directly, yes I do.   With all of the great new wicking and anti-odor fabrics I have a stash of lower unmentionables for travel.  Easy wash, quick dry.   I am now seeking same for DH.   Why do I save them for travel only? Because they are expensive.   For the uppers DH has a new set he has promised to try, so much lighter than cotton, probably a quarter of the weight and a quarter of the bulk.   For me I do have upper unmentionables specially suited for evening gala attire.