Street Tacos at the Salty Dog

denmarks

I tried the Salty Dog Street Tacos on my last cruise and found them pretty bad. They consist of a double taco with a pretty bad filling. There are no condiments that can  be added such as tomato, lettuce, or salsa. What was your opinion?

• Like 1

I had the vegetarian version on the Caribbean earlier this month. I noticed they warm the tortillas on the same griddle that they cook the burgers on. I'm not a strict vegetarian, so it did not matter to me. I they had lettuce. I also had them add the avocado cream that goes with the chicken taco. They were OK. I liked the California toast better at the pizza place next to the Salty Dog. I had the avocado one without the bacon to make it vegetarian. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

what's makes it a "Street Taco" ?

Thanks google.   
Mexican street tacos are smaller tacos, typically served on corn tortillas. They are small in size, making it easier for a “street traveler” to enjoy a quick meal. The filling is served on two small corn tortillas so that they don't rip or tear when piled high with toppings.

• Like 1

I absolutely loved them!!  They were much better than much of the food I've had in Mexico!!  

The other items at the grill range from decent to great ... the tacos are, by far, my favorite menu item from the grill.  I am hoping they have them on my next sailing ... if they do, I will probably skip the MDR.  😉 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, denmarks said:

I tried the Salty Dog Street Tacos on my last cruise and found them pretty bad. They consist of a double taco with a pretty bad filling. There are no condiments that can  be added such as tomato, lettuce, or salsa. What was your opinion?

We are also from California (actually, also from Chico!) and agree. While the "street tacos" aren't bad they definitely don't measure up to what we can get from any taco truck in California. It's like the Princess version of many types of food: They "think" they know what they are talking about. I kind of equate it to instructions for printers, etc. that are written by someone in China who "thinks" they speak English. Overall verdict for the street tacos: Not authentic, not very good, but good enough to "pass" for someone who doesn't live where real tacos are served. (I just had tacos for dinner last night and had some again for lunch from the leftovers. It's really hard to beat home-made tacos!)

• Like 1

I tried them on the CB.  They tasted like something I would imagine you find at Taco Bell which is anything but TexMex or Mexican food.  Being from San Antonio after one taste I consigned the rest to the circular file.  Nice try Princess but they suck. 

• Like 2

The "street" tacos I'm familiar with come from food trucks where I'm from, and they consist of small corn tortillas, sometimes doubled up, sometimes single, filled with some kind of seasoned meat.  You are then responsible for dressing them as you see fit from a nearby condiment bar.  I'll have to try them on my next cruise, but if they come off the grill somewhat like what I've experienced from various food and taco trucks, they are probably somewhat authentic.

On 12/29/2019 at 1:35 PM, t&atravel said:

The filling is served on two small corn tortillas so that they don't rip or tear when piled high with toppings.

Aha - I always separate the tacos and filling making two Tacos - wondered why there are two tortillas 🙂

On 12/30/2019 at 5:26 PM, satxdiver said:

I tried them on the CB.  They tasted like something I would imagine you find at Taco Bell which is anything but TexMex or Mexican food.  Being from San Antonio after one taste I consigned the rest to the circular file.  Nice try Princess but they suck. 

Also being from Texas, I totally concur.  The ones I tried on Crown Princess were inedible.   The tortillas were greasy (only one per taco). The filling ranged from tasteless to gross and the meat was hard to find.  Taco Bell tacos are better.

The whole Salty Dog menu rated a firm "F" grade for us.  Someone sold Princess on fancy recipes, and totally missed the mark for a poolside grill.  Even the hamburger tasted like a bready meat loaf, and who the heck thinks chicken has to be marinated in olive oil to be good?   The terrible new menu for the grill rated a negative review from us on our post cruise Customer Survey, and took away one of our simple light dining options.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 5:26 PM, satxdiver said:

I, too, am from San Antonio (my nephew writes for the Express-News)! It's hard to find authentic Mexican food in certain places. Years ago my flight crew had a layover somewhere up north and we all had a craving for Mexican. We asked the hotel front desk for a recommendation and they said they knew of a very good one and that they would be happy to take us. We were so happy until we realized that the driver was actually driving into the parking lot of a Taco Bell?!?!? 😮🤨

24 minutes ago, From Air to Sea! said:

I, too, am from San Antonio (my nephew writes for the Express-News)! It's hard to find authentic Mexican food in certain places. Years ago my flight crew had a layover somewhere up north and we all had a craving for Mexican. We asked the hotel front desk for a recommendation and they said they knew of a very good one and that they would be happy to take us. We were so happy until we realized that the driver was actually driving into the parking lot of a Taco Bell?!?!? 😮🤨

That is funny and sad at the same time.  I used to work all over the US at client sites and invariably when it came to go to lunch they would take me to this wonderful Mexican restaurant since they knew I was from SA.  Of course I had to say oh how wonderful as I choked down the food.  However I was never taken to a taco bell. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

That is funny and sad at the same time.  I used to work all over the US at client sites and invariably when it came to go to lunch they would take me to this wonderful Mexican restaurant since they knew I was from SA.  Of course I had to say oh how wonderful as I choked down the food.  However I was never taken to a taco bell. 

LOL!!! It was so hard for all of us to hide our shock and laughter!!!

I've had varied experience with tacos from the Salty Dog.  At their best, they were okay+.  At the worst still not the worst thing I had that particular trip.  My town in northern California has (literally) one taqueria for every other restaurant in town, that's right, 54 taquerias in a town with 102 total restaurants - so we know our tacos.

Still, after a few days on a long cruise I start experiencing withdrawals from my regular intake of tacos, in such circumstances this new addition is in my opinion welcome.  Far better than the Mexican lunch typically offered once each cruise on Grand class ships.  

A better option on Royal ships is the daily taco bar in Horizon which was surprisingly not bad and included a full compliment of condiments.  Fillings varied day to day but occasionally included grilled, spiced shrimp which was really quite good.

21 minutes ago, jondfk said:

I've had varied experience with tacos from the Salty Dog.  At their best, they were okay+.  At the worst still not the worst thing I had that particular trip.  My town in northern California has (literally) one taqueria for every other restaurant in town, that's right, 54 taquerias in a town with 102 total restaurants - so we know our tacos.

Still, after a few days on a long cruise I start experiencing withdrawals from my regular intake of tacos, in such circumstances this new addition is in my opinion welcome.  Far better than the Mexican lunch typically offered once each cruise on Grand class ships.  

A better option on Royal ships is the daily taco bar in Horizon which was surprisingly not bad and included a full compliment of condiments.  Fillings varied day to day but occasionally included grilled, spiced shrimp which was really quite good.

New to cruising.
On the Royal,  for tacos, do passengers serve themselves or food servers do the serving?

Thank you.

Edited by Justalone