NCL, up your pizza game!

L1211

On the Sun currently and just tried pizza. Hmmm. Maybe a 4/10 if you skipped breakfast? Our last two sailings were RCCL and Carnival. Just back to NCL and all prior sailings have been away class. Having a ball!  But the pizza...thought RCCL pizza was terrible. And it was. But it appears carnival is the only line we’ve sailed that cares about pizza quality! They have real brick pizza ovens, made to request, Parma ham and arugla, four cheese white pizza. Amazing!  Come on NCL. This stuff is pretty terrible. 

3C9C5D90-7801-431C-B02D-3B163835FC63.jpeg

7BC6D3CE-7C21-4FDA-AE46-55348E208137.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Best pizza I ever had on a cruise ship is MSC Divina in Dec. 2018.  MSC Seaside Dec. 2019...not that good.  On the Breakaway in 6 days was hoping for good pizza but if it is anything like the Epic's in 2016...sad.  Carnival was good before the 2.0 upgrades...loved the Goat cheese and Mushroom pizza!

• Like 1

A few years ago i was on the Regal Princess, for me that is the best cruise ship pizza

Carnival pizza is good, but i hate the sometimes very long waits for it and i noticed the pizza can be a bit oily/greasy sometimes

Norwegian pizza is not that good, like the previous poster said it seems to be like the frozen pizzas you reheat at home

Agree it is terrible. The least they could do is try to make it more timely and fresh. On my last cruise on the Gem, the chef continued to bake pizza after pizza and when it was done he put them in some warmer under the buffet to get old and cold. The pizza doesn't even look appetizing to me and agree....not worth the calories.

2 hours ago, L1211 said:

On the Sun currently and just tried pizza. Hmmm. Maybe a 4/10 if you skipped breakfast? Our last two sailings were RCCL and Carnival. Just back to NCL and all prior sailings have been away class. Having a ball!  But the pizza...thought RCCL pizza was terrible. And it was. But it appears carnival is the only line we’ve sailed that cares about pizza quality! They have real brick pizza ovens, made to request, Parma ham and arugla, four cheese white pizza. Amazing!  Come on NCL. This stuff is pretty terrible. 

3C9C5D90-7801-431C-B02D-3B163835FC63.jpeg

7BC6D3CE-7C21-4FDA-AE46-55348E208137.jpeg

looks like buffet pizza to me.

I seem to recall reading posts that the pizza in the Italian specialty restaurant was pretty good? 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Agree it is terrible. The least they could do is try to make it more timely and fresh. On my last cruise on the Gem, the chef continued to bake pizza after pizza and when it was done he put them in some warmer under the buffet to get old and cold. The pizza doesn't even look appetizing to me and agree....not worth the calories.

So true, NCL has the best buffet but worst pizza. 

What do you mean? This floppy pizza doesn't look delicious to you?

uI7EBBADC-ySpD82nIttLSBMnvx_z4DEeg8hf6J5

I actually have  theory about why NCL's pizza is so bad. It's the same theory I have about why they always put out the lesser cookie types (oatmeal raisin vs. chocolate chip). If they put out pizza that was actually GOOD, then people would eat it and they would have to make way more of it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

What do you mean? This floppy pizza doesn't look delicious to you?

uI7EBBADC-ySpD82nIttLSBMnvx_z4DEeg8hf6J5

I actually have  theory about why NCL's pizza is so bad. It's the same theory I have about why they always put out the lesser cookie types (oatmeal raisin vs. chocolate chip). If they put out pizza that was actually GOOD, then people would eat it and they would have to make way more of it.

Jamie,

That slice deserves a burial at sea! Wowzie!!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

It's the same theory I have about why they always put out the lesser cookie types (oatmeal raisin vs. chocolate chip). If they put out pizza that was actually GOOD, then people would eat it and they would have to make way more of it.

I like oatmeal raisin cookies, the ones at McDonald's are truly the best!   BUT when cookies are soggy and not crispy I won't eat them at all.

Unconfirmed water-cooler rumor that NCL trimmed their onboard bakery team - I won't say it's proven, beyond a reasonable doubt, that it's part of the cost-cutting measure ... each of us draw our own conclusion.  

Has anyone recently ordered and paid for a "made-to-order" freshly baked room service pizza delivery, with a fee, for "our" convenience (2 or 3 years ago) ... or, has that gone away & faded with lack of interest.  

I cannot find or know of anyone in our extended families of a dozen+ frequent cruisers being motivated to cruise NCL on the basis of its pizza, or hot dogs, burgers & burgers for adults - before, now or forward looking.  Better yet, NCL needs to up its MDR dining options to stay competitive with gaming our cruise dollars.  As always, YMMV.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

I think the buffet burgers are OK when topped with grilled onions and mushrooms, which I have found are often, but not always, available.  I greatly dislike the cold individual slices of cheese left for passengers to convert a hamburger into a cheeseburger. 

• Like 3