Dining..Do you mind having to order everything at once?

Heatherco

My parents just got off Anthem this last week and while they had a nice time there were some things they did not like and mentioned.

One was the fact that when you go to the MDR they take your order for everything from appetizer to dessert at the same time.  I remember  this from the Freedom two years ago and didn’t like it either.  That is not “dining” to me.  How do I know what I want for dessert before I have my meal?  What if I’m full?

I totally get it is because they are trying to be efficient and feed thousands at once but I do feel like it takes away from the “dining” experience.  Anyone else feel this way?

We will be on Explorer next week and expect this to be the case as well and will just go along with it.  Overall, it’s not a big deal but sometimes the little things all add up to the overall experience.

• Like 2

I don't mind doing it. If I change my mind about dessert I'll tell them not to bring it or if they insist on bringing it I'll just leave it. MDR dinner is more rushed than it used to be for various reasons. I actually find WJ less stressful nowadays.

• Like 4

Yes I mind. At the very least dessert should be seperate. Sometimes you just don't know if you will want or have room. So what do you do, you order it take one bite and the rest gets thrown out. More waste. 

Also my last cruise I was served, my soup, salad, and appetizer all at the same time. Yes all three spread out in front of me. Not happy big time!

I have decided for my next cruise in April I am not putting up with it. I am sending stuff back til I am finished with the one item in front of me. I do not care if dinner takes 3 hours. 

I've also found there is more mistakes. I will order 2 of the calamari, and coconut shrimp when on the menu. Between me and hubby something is always forgotten. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Funny you should ask this.  I was just talking about it with some friends the other day. Personally, I like this approach for a few reasons. First and foremost is because I'm on vacation and I am more likely to have desert. That being said, then I want to 'plan' my meal. Would I rather 2 appetizers and no desert, etc..?  So if I don't see a desert that calls to me, I order my meal items as what calls to me. If I see a desert that I really want, I might not have an appetizer or might have a lighter meal.  Another plus of doing the desert order this way is when the servers all get called away to sing for the guests (and this is happening more and more).  This allows me to enjoy my meal at my pace instead of waiting till they are done before I get to order or receive me desert.   And if makes their lives a little bit easier, then I"m good with that.  They work so hard as it is.

Erika

• Like 15

3 minutes ago, mskaufman said:

I have found the servers to be flexible.  They have been happy to bring another dessert if I have changed my mind or if I don't like how it looks when it shows up.  I have never had anyone say "tough".

Oh yes, the waiters are great.  My question was just if you mind having to do it this way?

• Like 1

Since I eat Apple Pie ala mode just about every night, I have no problem with this. Only night I change is carrot cake night. Ha! (I do add an extra Grand Marnier Souffle for my son Tyler, who eats four of these)

• Like 2

Ever since this started I tell my server on the first night that I want to order my dessert separately after my main. Most are very accommodating and will bring me back the menu to order from, one seemed a bit put out so I just took a pic of the menu at the beginning and told him if I wanted something when the main was cleared. 

• Like 5

I don't ever remember them requesting my dessert order when taking the apps and main course. I'm not typically a dessert eater, but do enjoy an after dinner drink, so i suppose this doesn't bother me at all. Overall i've been happy with how they run the MDR.

• Like 2

well, to date I have never had to order dessert at the same time as I order the rest of my meal.  nor have I , as yet, been  served everything at once.  

doesn't bother me that they take the orders for everything at once though.  

3 minutes ago, Scoobydobe7 said:

I have NEVER been forced to order all at once, and I find it confusing as to why people think that??

Because when the waiter asks you for your dessert choice at the app/entree order time, some may think they won't get to do so later. This change is somewhat recent (less than 2 years) and may not be happening on all ships.

• Like 2

Just now, Biker19 said:

Because when the waiter asks you for your dessert choice at the app/entree order time, some may think they won't get to do so later. This change is somewhat recent (less than 2 years) and may not be happening on all ships.

I have just informed them that I will make my decision regarding dessert after I finish my meal.  I have been asked and I have responded very nicely as to MY desire.   I have never had an issue with this and I have been on 3 cruises in the last two years, on 3 different RC ships. so again I feel that people are making more of this than need to be made. 

I don’t order dessert with the rest of the meal. It never seems to be a problem. I don’t need the menu again as I know one or two choices I might order. I’ll simply tell the waiter towards the end of the meal if I want a dessert, or not. 

m

Edited by cruisegirl1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

If it happens it doesn't bother me at all but I don't recall it happening, they always took the appetizer and entree' order and then the desert order later. 

It used to be that way but in recent years (can't remember when)  they've changed things and like to take the dessert order up front.

• Like 2

It doesn't bother me in the slightest, it feels more efficient. I came from a restaurant background and when we did pre fixe menus for special events, the servers would take the appetizer, soup/salad, and entree orders together, and then bring out dessert menus after the entree was cleared, but when you're running multiple large parties or huge sections it's the most efficient way and ensures the least mistakes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1