So Disappointed in NCL - price dropped IN HALF

susanf31

2 hours ago, susanf31 said:

I'm so disappointed in NCL.  We booked three cabins, two inside and one balcony. We made final payment. The price of all 3 cabins has dropped IN HALF.  We paid more for an inside cabin than the balcony cabins are now selling for. I wouldn't mind price swings of a few hundred dollars but we are talking about thousands of dollars.

It seems as a gesture of good-will and our future business as happy customers, they would offer an upgrade, spa pass, but no...nothing. So we are overpaying for this cruise about $3000.

You were satisfied with the price you paid and you thought it was worth it.

So why are you now disappointed? YOu paid a price you were willing to pay for this cruise, so it doesn`t make your cruise any worse or any more expensive.

Yes, you might have gotten the cruise cheaper,but hey....thats just bad luck !

You can`t get everything you buy in your life for the cheapest price ever. Sometimes you just buy at the wrong time. Just live with it.

I think it's a bad business model and will most likely keep me from cruising again in the near future.  If I order a sofa and don't take delivery of it for 6 months, and the price drops between now and when it's delivered, I would ask for the price reduction that everyone else is getting. The fact that cruise lines make you pay in full 3 - 6 months prior to the cruise, while continuing to sell the same cabins for lower is neither good business nor a gesture of good-will towards the customers whose money they've locked down.  Again, with the dropping prices, we are now paying MORE for an inside cabin than they are currently selling balcony cabins for.  The least the could do is offer a balcony since it costs them nothing and we've already paid MORE than what they are selling for.  Yes, I know we are locked in and that's fine. We will go on this cruise, but never will we book and pay for a cruise well in advance ever again.  They need to think about the kind of behavior they are pushing their previous cruisers towards. Instead of booking far out, we will cruise during the slower season, booking within 3 months of actual sailing.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, susanf31 said:

I think it's a bad business model and will most likely keep me from cruising again in the near future.  If I order a sofa and don't take delivery of it for 6 months, and the price drops between now and when it's delivered, I would ask for the price reduction that everyone else is getting. The fact that cruise lines make you pay in full 3 - 6 months prior to the cruise, while continuing to sell the same cabins for lower is neither good business nor a gesture of good-will towards the customers whose money they've locked down.  Again, with the dropping prices, we are now paying MORE for an inside cabin than they are currently selling balcony cabins for.  The least the could do is offer a balcony since it costs them nothing and we've already paid MORE than what they are selling for.  Yes, I know we are locked in and that's fine. We will go on this cruise, but never will we book and pay for a cruise well in advance ever again.  They need to think about the kind of behavior they are pushing their previous cruisers towards. Instead of booking far out, we will cruise during the slower season, booking within 3 months of actual sailing.  

Have you called your cruise agent to see if they would compensate you in anyway??? try that 🙂 

I'm just three weeks from sailing on the Epic and as I mock-book my current cabin class, the price continues to be well above what I paid for it almost 9 months ago.  Prices don't always come down, but even if it does, I'll be happy with my deal. 🙃

• Like 2

NCL has done some crappy things that have rightly upset people but this might be the most ridiculous reason someone is no longer going with NCL.  You were happy with the price you got when you paid but now NCL is trying to fill rooms as people are cancelling their cruises and you are upset they ONLY offered you 25% OBC.  Come on now.  

12 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

If I order a couch, I pay the price of the couch at that time - not what it is when delivered.  By your analogy, if you buy a couch on sale, you should have to pay full price at delivery if the price has gone up.  Apparently you want it both ways.  I don't know who you do business with, but not too many businesses have a price-guarantee anymore - and if they do, it's only for a short period.  Maybe the credit card you used will give you something back.

As to upgrades, etc.  I don't know when you booked, but the cruises I booked at Black Friday are still selling for more than I paid, and the upcoming one is sold out - so booking in advance was to my benefit.  Plus you said you booked 3 cabins - I would assume that you had your choice of cabins and booked them together.  So would you then complain that you were no longer together if you got an upgrade?  Inside to balcony would be a big upgrade and unusual - inside to ov would be more common.  Also, are you comparing apples to apples, ie are the perks the same as when you booked or did you get airfare, double excursion credit, etc (assuming you are not sailaway, since you said you booked early).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, susanf31 said:

MrMike45 - not sure what you are trying to imply.

I think he was paying you a compliment.

Despite the disappointment of feeling like you paid too much, I think you have been given a few good pieces of advice.

1.  Call back and speak with a different agent.

2.  Take the 25% of the difference OBC and do something fun while you're on vacation.

Booking early has it's advantages...like getting the exact room you want but I've noticed with NCL it isn't unusual for prices to drop as your embarkation date gets closer.  I wouldn't look at it like you've over paid for the categories you purchased, instead, I'd look at it like wow, NCL is sure taking a hit on these balcony rooms because look how low they've had to go in price to get them filled.  If you were happy with your original purchase, put the price drop out of your head, take the OBC and have a great time on your cruise with your family!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

46 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

.....Yes, I know we are locked in and that's fine. We will go on this cruise, but never will we book and pay for a cruise well in advance ever again.  They need to think about the kind of behavior they are pushing their previous cruisers towards. Instead of booking far out, we will cruise during the slower season, booking within 3 months of actual sailing.  

So, you have learned a lesson....but that doesn't make the pricing model bad.....it's simply the basic economics of supply and demand! 😏

26 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

As a bad business model, I do not think NCL will worry about your loyalty since your last cruise was six years ago.  Why should they compensate you when your agreed to pay the price you paid.  Why should NCL take the loss.  And what about the cruisers that have no idea that the price dropped.  Not every cruiser knows about Cruise Critic.   And I am sure that your next cruise with another line they will do everything you want when you book it.  But what will you do when the price drops even lower?  It is all about timing.  God luck on your future cruises and welcome to the game of price drop after booking.  Learn, live and cruise.✌️

2 hours ago, Mom2kmo said:

You got the room you wanted and were happy with the price you paid at final

paynent, correct?   Do you go back to the grocery store weeks later and try to get a refund on a sale item you paid full price weeks or months before?  This is the chance you take with EVERY cruise line!  

Best Buy is great with that.  They'll give you the better price if there's a drop within a month or so.

Good suggestion.  I'm sure other stores do that too.

• Like 2

I agree with the poster. These are unusual times and unusual solutions may be warranted. Sure, I have booked cabins and the prices have fallen after final payment. Ok., supply and demand. I can agree with that. But in this case, would it be a nice goodwill gesture for NCL to give them a balcony cabin for what they have already paid? Of course.
Airlines and  cruiselines are all making exceptions to keep their customers safe and happy. And I would venture to guess that some of those cabins will be sailing vacant anyway.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

I agree with the poster. These are unusual times and unusual solutions may be warranted. Sure, I have booked cabins and the prices have fallen after final payment. Ok., supply and demand. I can agree with that. But in this case, would it be a nice goodwill gesture for NCL to give them a balcony cabin for what they have already paid? Of course.
Airlines and  cruiselines are all making exceptions to keep their customers safe and happy. And I would venture to guess that some of those cabins will be sailing vacant anyway.

Why is this unusual and warranting an exception?  How is upgrading someone because of possible vacancies because of coronovirus a logical conclusion?  If any airlines are now offering free upgrades to first class because the flight is undersold, please let me know!

There are many reasons a person may not be offered an upgrade and since the OP did fail to originally mention that he was offered the standard 25% OBC - the same as anyone else - there may be other issues that we are not aware of.  If you have booked an entire family in a room, there might not be anything available with a similar capacity.  If you have booked adjoining rooms, there might not be adjoining rooms available.  Maybe they are holding cabins for people who choose to change from their current cruise.  And maybe the OP is incorrect in their statement that they have actually fully paid the individual prices for upgrades from inside to balcony.  And so on.

My cruise is leaving in just over a week and I've NEVER seen studios this low of a price. Like about 30% of what it was at final payment and even final payment was on the lower side of prices for studios. I got an upgrade to a really nice balcony with the price drop. I'm good with that. 

This virus is making last minute prices even crazier when a ship has a lot of empty cabins. 

Just chalk it up to a lesson in life and learn from it. NCL prices out ridiculously high up until final payment and holds the fire sales after final payment, often times dumping unsold cabins 2-5 days prior to sailing. Now you know the true market value of the product being offered and trust you won't book NCL at those crazy rates again. They'll continue to hook whoever they can with their pricing model until the advance demand for the product tanks as more people figure out and learn from their pricing model.

6 hours ago, worktocruise610 said:

what if you called to see if they'd offer you OBC but have an upgrade bid in? Would the OBC (if given) null your bid?

No. Your upgrade bid will be unaffected by any price drop compensation you receive, unless that compensation IS an upgrade . In that case, within about 48 hours, the categories that you are able to bid for will change to reflect your upgraded category.

• Like 1

One thing to also consider with price drops on last minute bookings is that many people who have to fly last minute can get discouraged at higher airline fares. I have seen great last minute cruise fares only to be dissuaded by higher costs and limited airline availability. It works well for people who may be able to drive, but may not work for others. I look at total cost of trip and not just the cruise fare. 

• Like 4

On my last cruise in January I booked 14 days out. I was hanging out with the other solos and they couldn't believe that my OV with two perks was way cheaper than their inside with none. I plan on doing one of these every year as long as the price is right or I make the mistake and get married again.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, susanf31 said:

We will go on this cruise, but never will we book and pay for a cruise well in advance ever again.  They need to think about the kind of behavior they are pushing their previous cruisers towards. Instead of booking far out, we will cruise during the slower season, booking within 3 months of actual sailing.  

Book late if you feel that is the best way to do it for you.

It may be more expensive and it may be difficult to book cabins together, if you always need that, but it's up to you to decide when to book.

Actually, many years ago when my children were young, our family of 4 was upgraded to first class due to a glitch by the airline. Lol!

Many good points made here though for both sides. I still maintain that this is a very unusual time for all of us that will call for creative solutions.

11 hours ago, blcruising said:

Just chalk it up to a lesson in life and learn from it. NCL prices out ridiculously high up until final payment and holds the fire sales after final payment, often times dumping unsold cabins 2-5 days prior to sailing. Now you know the true market value of the product being offered and trust you won't book NCL at those crazy rates again. They'll continue to hook whoever they can with their pricing model until the advance demand for the product tanks as more people figure out and learn from their pricing model.

Oh please, NCL is the same as the others. I’m a 20 minute drive from my cruise port, I book over a year in advance because I’m picky about cabin location, and prices on my cruises have always gone up, not down. You obviously are mad at NCL, move on.

• Like 2

My cruise fare dropped drasticly also.  We sail June 21st. I called and they offered my $315 which sounds about right.  I think mine went down about $1200.  def not half.  I'm happy with that.  That will buy my kids starbucks and gocarts etc... I have a really nice cabin b/c I booked early.   It is what it is at this point!