What is your back up choice for a cruise?

marshhawk

14 hours ago, coevan said:

lack of outbreak, so far

I was on a cruise last week that to my knowledge had no infections. Many other Carribean/Bahamas cruises were the same. Being confined to a plane for 4-10 hours is by no means a safe zone at the moment.

• Like 1

Well we were supposed to be sailing a 5 day to Progreso and Cozumel on the Fantasy as we speak, but that obviously didn't happen. Decided to go all out with our "back up" choice and rescheduled for the Mardi Gras next year. 7 day Eastern Caribbean.

I hacent been cancelled yet, but booked yesterday on jewel ots for 1/2/21. I'm a solo cruiser and rcl has higher prices but gives 200% ... and I happily discovered radiance class ships have a few solo cabins where you dont have to pay a solo supplement.

I'm hoping the fcc which I dont have yet can be applied to the deposit as it would cover about the entire booking for the 9 day, 5 port cruise. I have no idea what they do with the left over fcc if they woildnt refund part of the deposit. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I'm april 26th so I'm not even cancelled yet. I grabbed that solo cabin as I suspect they are hard to come by.  ... though I may have been overly optimistic as who knows about next winter.

8 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I was on a cruise last week that to my knowledge had no infections. Many other Carribean/Bahamas cruises were the same. Being confined to a plane for 4-10 hours is by no means a safe zone at the moment.

I was on a cruise last week and had never seen so much cleaning and sanitizing going on.  I felt completely comfortable on the cruise.  The airports, not so much.  I heard an employee at the Atlanta airport tested positive as did a TSA agent at the Orlando airport.  No telling how many people have it and don't know it.  My only concern during that time was the airports because I went through both of them.  I am at home for two weeks, but thankfully feel fine so far.  I will definitely avoid all airline travel for awhile.

And FYI, if a TSA agent wants to search your carry-on bag, you can ask them to put on fresh gloves.  I didn't think to ask at the time my bag was searched and cringed seeing the agent pull out all of my stuff with those gloves that touched an unknown number of other people's stuff. 

Edited by TNcruising02

Not sure about back up cruise at this point. I would take refund and wait till cruising resumes to rebook. If this cruise pause continues another 30-60 days on top of the original 30 there is a very real possibility of bankruptcy. Stock is really low. Got down to 8 a share today. Even if it only gets to 3 a share and everyone off loads their shares they could go bankrupt.Bottom line is I would be very wary of booking any vacation right now with anyone. But I sure as heck wouldnt take fcc.... They want you to take it because at a certain point they have no cash on hand. Bad times....... 

Edited by rtazz17

Not for one minute do I believe the cruise industry will go out of business - or even go bankrupt.   The government has guaranteed financial assistance to get not only the cruise industry, but the airline industry as well, back up and running.

Cruising has been, for many thousands of people, an affordable, fun way to spend their vacation.  And I don't believe in the farthest stretch of imagination that that won't be true in the future.   Carnival and other cruise lines are taking a bad hit, no doubt about it, but they will be back to their former popularity in time.

Those of us who have the travel lust are not going to be held down by fear after this has passed.

Edited by Florings
  • Like 2

On 3/17/2020 at 9:25 PM, funat55 said:

I think the cruise Gods are try to tell me to stay home.   It all started last year.  Was supposed to go to Cuba and that got cancelled.   Then booked a cruise to Japan for this June.   That got cancelled.  I now have a cruise booked for May 9th to Mexico and another one booked for June 27th to Alaska.  Those will probably get cancelled.   I have a sister who lives in Virginia Beach and read that the Carnival Magic will be sailing out of Norfolk.  That one is on my short list for October next year not this year.

Our next-to-be-cancelled May 3 cruise is a rebooking from a cancelled Cuba cruise.  

I rebooked my cancelled 3/22 Magic cruise for January 2021.  Will be on Breeze instead of Magic - same itinerary.  We had booked Disneyworld for first week of May - looks like that will probably be cancelled.  And we have a bucket-list trip to Ecuador/Galapagos booked for first week of August, but highly doubt that one will proceed.   Not planning anything else - too many disappointments in too short a time period.  But at least (at this moment) family is healthy!

We are booked end of May on the Panorama. Just today I booked an eastern Caribbean itinerary on the Mardi Gras for July 2021. I’m hopeful the May one still sails but not counting on it. Last July we were supposed to be on a Cuba cruise. That itinerary got nixed a few weeks before sailing. Figure we will roll with whatever happens.

We were looking at May cruises when the crap hit the fan so we just booked a staycation down in Englewood for the week of 5/17. Hopefully we will be able to go.

Our PVP called yesterday so I need to do some looking around and see what we want to book when this blows over.

Y'all stay safe.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a B-day cruise booked for my husband on May 10th, cancelled this morning 😡. We booked a March anniversary cruise to use our cancellation promo. Put down deposit and will use FCC towards that. Sailings are suppose to begin May 11th. We are trying to still celebrate B-day a week later with a May 17th booking. Prices have dropped. We'll see what happens with that. 

On 3/17/2020 at 8:25 PM, funat55 said:

I think the cruise Gods are try to tell me to stay home.   

Same for us.  Was supposed to be on a 5 day Sensation for a throw back cruise this September then the following day the Mardi Gras to Cuba.  Cuba was cancelled then Mardi Gras.  So we re-booked the Panorama for this April well that's cancelled.  We have RC Symphony of the Seas booked this October & Panorama again next March.  If those don't happen I might be throwing in my anchor & hanging my sign & sail card on a memory board instead of around my neck 😏

We are supposed to sale on the Vista May 16th in a Havana aft corner wrap around balcony for hubby's 50th bday.  We set sail on his bday.   If it gets cancelled we plan to cruise on 12/5 but those cabins are sold out already.    Had booked it as a bday gift.  Will probably change to a different cabin type or to a suite

• Like 1

Well I had planned to indulge in Woman's college basketball this year.

March 12th - Big 12 tourny Kansas City - Cancelled

March 20 - Waco - 1st and 2nd round WCBB tourny - Cancelled

March 27 - Dallas - Sweet 16 and Elite 8 - Cancelled

April 3, THIS WEEKEND - NOLA - Final 4 - Cancelled

June 18 - Maui - celebrate 50th birthday.  I don't think this will happen but I'm sure hoping we can go to Maui. We purchased cancel for any reason insurance so if we have to cancel we'll get most of our money back. And I keep thinking, going to Maui and seating on the Balcony looking at the ocean is better than being at home. Right now Maui has a 14 day quarantine once you arrive to the island. That even sounds better than seating at home. LLLOOONNNNGGG SSSIIGGGHHH!!!

Dec 19 - Vista Christmas cruise on hold. I just don't want to be disappointed so every few days this crazy ole' lady puts it on hold. LOL!! 

Started making a plan when the first group got canceled. Figured my 5/2 cruise had a good chance of being canceled (it was) so started looking at the Mardi Gras...again. Switched my booking yesterday straight across the 2/26/22 and turned it into a BTB with 3/5/22.  So was different ship and itinerary for us.