P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

This age thing must only affect women. Frank is 2 years older and sleeps like a baby, which is really annoying when I'm wide awake😬

I'm usually in bed for about 11pm too.  Then trot off to the toilet around 2 to 3 o'clock, toss and turn for another half and hour then finally get up. 

I think I might try to have another hour🤞

Avril

Maybe we should start a night bird club for all the peeps who are active during the twilight hours 🦉

• Like 3

Morning everyone hope your all ok 🙂

Talking of sleep (or the lack of it for some )  I used to be up at 4am for my work and to 

this day I will still wake up at  this time and then spend another hour dozing .

Same as Phil I used to get where I couldn't get work out of my head and would 

dream about work.

These days as I told my friend Barry ,when I try to go to sleep and I close my eyes

all I can see is this woman and she's got no clothes on .

He asked me had I seen a doctor ?  No Just the woman with no clothes !

I find some people who can't sleep are advised have a quick nap in the afternoon .

This to me is bad advice ,especially if your travelling down the motorway at 70 mph

and your the driver .

Whoever came up with the idea try counting sheep is a daft idea . Got up drove to

where there was some sheep, drove back home got in bed and I did not feel tired at

all, plus I forgot how many sheep there was ,so had to go back to count them again .😉

Take care n have a good one 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

I too think this sleep thing affects women more -  my DH used to have a solid 8 hours all his life, and my son and son-in-law are also good sleepers, whereas the girls are more inclined to  be wakeful either on going to bed, or waking too early.  After joining in this middle of the night conversation a while ago, I have been getting better sleep most nights, I believe due to having been put on beta blockers for palpitations.  The main cause of my bad nights over the past few months has been a problem which remains unsolved, although it should have been dealt with by May.  I guess I have more or less got so used to it I can almost dismiss it a lot of the time.  As I am now on my own, it is easier to do something during the night if I am very wide awake; reading or a crossword, having a mug of tea and a couple of paracetamol and then sometimes feel sleepy and go off again.  Just lying in the dark worrying is not good!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I think the humid nights are making it harder to sleep.

I've not found the nights humid Graham, in fact I've felt chilly in the evenings and overnight. Maybe I should take Frank's advice and 'change my butcher' 😉 

Avril

• Like 3

Another occasional poor sleeper signing in!  Like others, DH sleeps soundly as soon as his head hits the pillow.  He can also sleep on planes - something that has always alluded me, even if we have been lucky enough to have flat beds.

For me it's just once every few weeks with no rhyme nor reason.  Not stressed; tired when I went to bed etc - just a mystery.  When it's really bad, I give in, get up, make a cuppa and sometimes eat a banana because I think I once read that it could help.  I don't normally switch on the computer or look at my phone, but maybe I will in future to see who's about 😁

• Like 5

I didn't  know him then, but OH says that when there was the big hurricane in the mid 80's he lived in the flat above their Clubhouse overlooking the sea.  He got up in the morning and  was shocked to see  caravans, sideways, upside down,  on top of each other and a scene of carnage.

He, and his then Wife,   neither heard  or felt a  thing.  How could that happen in that hurricane?

Even now he wakes with the covers as they were when he got in... like a mummy's tomb, whereas my covers get in a terrible state.  I get up, moan,  put en suite lights on and walk about but he hears absolutely nothing.  He would be a burglar's paradise!😀

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I am usually one of the insomniacs but a few weeks ago I was told that using phones, kindles laptops etc in the hour before going to bed has been found to cause insomnia because device screens  produce "blue light" which makes it difficult to turn off the production of melatonin making it difficult to switch off the brain and fall asleep.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I am usually one of the insomniacs but a few weeks ago I was told that using phones, kindles laptops etc in the hour before going to bed has been found to cause insomnia because device screens  produce "blue light" which makes it difficult to turn off the production of melatonin making it difficult to switch off the brain and fall asleep.

I have been reading  using a library app on my tablet since the covid epidemic, and have no problem at all in falling asleep very rapidly afterwards.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

I have been reading  using a library app on my tablet since the covid epidemic, and have no problem at all in falling asleep very rapidly afterwards.

Me too... I often fall asleep part way through a paragraph.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Me too... I often fall asleep part way through a paragraph.

I do that watching films on my laptop in the evening on Prime, and no, it's not because they're boring😁

It's not falling asleep that's the problem, it's staying that way for longer than a couple of hours🥴

Avril

• Like 6

Well I went for my appointment with the nurse at my GP’s. What a waste of an afternoon! I was called in nearly 20 minutes late. And I got there 15 minutes early! All she did was take my blood pressure (‘perfect’ ☺️) and gave me a blood test! That was it! I was expecting a bit more but I suppose blood tests tell them a lot….

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I don't use any device before bedtime...I usually read a hard copy book or listen to a play on the radio....I also have camomile tea as my bedtime drink but still after a couple of hours or so sleep I wake up and then wide awake for a good few hours tossing and turning....when I have been awake for a couple of hours or so  I then  catch up with this forum on my phone....and my husband sleeps through it all!! 😠

• Like 3

Neighbour just asked what all the shouting was at 6:30, had to explain it was Stuart Broad taking last wicket in the 5th & final Ashes Test Match.Explained he was retiring from cricket following the end of the match and that he had taken the winning wicket. I apologised for the shouting, we just got carried away with the moment,  

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Neighbour just asked what all the shouting was at 6:30, had to explain it was Stuart Broad taking last wicket in the 5th & final Ashes Test Match.Explained he was retiring from cricket following the end of the match and that he had taken the winning wicket. I apologised for the shouting, we just got carried away with the moment,  

I was crossing the road on the way to the gym yesterday when a cab driver drove past shouting and banging his steering wheel.I guessed what it was,lol.

• Like 7

Morning 14.c and now the month of August !

That means the football season is back in town, where we can shout and moan 

at our teams for another year 🤨

Later today I will settle down and watch the Lionesses play China and may the best team

win providing it's us 🙂

I hope I don't get carried away and start shouting at the telly things like ...chicken ,

turkey ,duck  ..I hate using fowl language 😉

Have a good day 🙂

• Haha 11

Football has not started yet, surely.  Let us have just a few more days revelling in the Test cricket, and Broad scoring a final 6 and then bowling the last man out - something to remember for a long time.

Both teams played very well indeed, IMO - although we was robbed.

• Like 4

Morning everyone, hope you are all ok today.

Its feeling a bit cooler in the house this morning and getting out of the shower into a cooler room was a bit of a challenge this morning. Fingers crossed for warmer weather returning soon.

It is cloudy and breezy outside here this morning. Nothing really planned for today apart from a visit to take some stuff to charity shop, collect some blankets from the laundry and dog walking. 

Talking of dogs our retriever’s tumour is growing and looks really nasty now. He is been helped over the rainbow bridge on Thursday. He is getting lots of loves and cuddles, special food and treats during his last few days. He is sleeping lots now too

Michelle

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Morning everyone, hope you are all ok today.

Its feeling a bit cooler in the house this morning and getting out of the shower into a cooler room was a bit of a challenge this morning. Fingers crossed for warmer weather returning soon.

It is cloudy and breezy outside here this morning. Nothing really planned for today apart from a visit to take some stuff to charity shop, collect some blankets from the laundry and dog walking. 

Talking of dogs our retriever’s tumour is growing and looks really nasty now. He is been helped over the rainbow bridge on Thursday. He is getting lots of loves and cuddles, special food and treats during his last few days. He is sleeping lots now too

Michelle

I'm sorry to hear this Michelle.

It is heartbreaking for you but the right thing for your dog.

Graham.

• Like 8