P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Morning all, from a still sunny & warm Sidmouth,  we are going easy today to Seaton, plan is to ride the Seaton Tramway.  We have been previously,but many yrs ago when on holiday with our two sons.   Might take the opportunity to sit looking at the sea enjoying an ice cream. Simple pleasures. As mentioned above to Bobstheboy, will post pics back home, as they will be on my camera. Menus tonight hopefully.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

@Peanut006 how is your grandson?

@Adawn47 how are you and Frank? 

I'm pleased you're feeling a little better today Eglesbrech and that your OH will be much improved tomorrow.

Frank has been getting about a little easier since yesterday afternoon, and as a result I have been less stressed and had a better nights sleep. Frank's still asleep and resting better, so that's a good sign🤞

Avril

• Like 14

Preparations are going full steam for our Arvia cruise on Sunday. A dry day forecast so the grass will be cut and a tidy up of the garden. Getting things together and the grand packing will take place tomorrow. Very early start on Saturday, hoping to arrive in Bournemouth around lunchtime, traffic permitting.

What a temperature change !

• Like 11

2 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

Preparations are going full steam for our Arvia cruise on Sunday. A dry day forecast so the grass will be cut and a tidy up of the garden. Getting things together and the grand packing will take place tomorrow. Very early start on Saturday, hoping to arrive in Bournemouth around lunchtime, traffic permitting.

What a temperature change !

Same for us, going down by coach. They have forecast light showers in Stoke when we leave but thunderstorms in Southampton when we arrive......oh dear!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, purplesea said:

Morning all, hope you are all well and those that aren't are on the mend.

Another sunny day down here and expected to be warm.

I have started my packing and am nearly done, just one or two more bits to be added then finished off in the morning. So one of my 'to do' lists is nearly complete🙂 One can wait til I get home as it is for my next trip.

Apparently the Northern Lights were visible in Penzance last night, so hopefully we will see them when we're on our cruise.🤞

Pam

I hope you have a lovely cruise and can report that Britannia is in good shape for me boarding on the 22nd!     Some people can be shallow and selfish can’t they?   Seriously, though, hope you enjoy!  🛳️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well feeling miserable after my flu jag is a great reason (excuse) to sip a nice 18 year old cask strength Jura to relieve my throat, aches and pains.

As a slight non sequitur I always knew that George Orwell wrote 1984 on the island of Jura but I only found out recently that he had Scottish roots. His real name was actually Eric Blair. Even when older one can always learn new things, that one is tucked away in the memory for cruise quizzes!

• Like 8

Not to bad a day, kept dry and mostly sunny, I was able to plant cabbage and cauliflower plants in new raised bed, rig up a Heath Robinson like protection a few canes, some nets,  a few ground anchors, all this to keep pigeons off them.

Finally managed to mow the lawn it’s taken a sudden growth spurt over the last few days, it filled the mower box 3 times. Noticed a lot of pigeon feathers on the drive this morning on the grass central strip, seems the local Sparrowhawk or the Goshawk that has been spotted recently. 

Tonight is sorting out house insurance and car insurance,  the latter has seen a 51% increase in the premium on renewal, the usual waffle as to why it’s gone up and no leeway for reduction. 

Tomorrow it’s going through the list of options for a replacement Fridge Freezer as our current one has been written off as a part no longer available, it has served us well over the last 14 years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Not to bad a day, kept dry and mostly sunny, I was able to plant cabbage and cauliflower plants in new raised bed, rig up a Heath Robinson like protection a few canes, some nets,  a few ground anchors, all this to keep pigeons off them.

Finally managed to mow the lawn it’s taken a sudden growth spurt over the last few days, it filled the mower box 3 times. Noticed a lot of pigeon feathers on the drive this morning on the grass central strip, seems the local Sparrowhawk or the Goshawk that has been spotted recently. 

Tonight is sorting out house insurance and car insurance,  the latter has seen a 51% increase in the premium on renewal, the usual waffle as to why it’s gone up and no leeway for reduction. 

Tomorrow it’s going through the list of options for a replacement Fridge Freezer as our current one has been written off as a part no longer available, it has served us well over the last 14 years.

I always check comparison and cashback online sites before renewing all insurances, can save a lot of money.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

I always check comparison and cashback online sites before renewing all insurances, can save a lot of money.

I do that, but not all insurance companies are on them, plus since the ruling that existing customers must be offered the same deals as new the savings have reduced, most of the quotes on car insurance are coming in at just £20 or £30 more others are more expensive. The excuses of increased number of accidents and car crime don’t wash, my last claim was back in 2005 after my car was hit by an unknown driver whilst parked legally on a street. As for car crime, the police figures for my local area don’t support that claim. It’s pure profiteering by insurance companies. 

• Like 4

Morning ,everything is going up in price for everyone these days, so I think it has a chain

reaction on everything you buy .

Yesterday one of my brake lights had blown so I looked online and Halfords would be 

happy to fit a new one ,if I was happy to part with £14.

The other option was use my local auto spare shop ,where the guy who runs it fitted it

for £5  but I gave him £6 for his troubles.

Support your locals and they support us  🙂

Take care have a nice day everyone😀

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

I do that, but not all insurance companies are on them, plus since the ruling that existing customers must be offered the same deals as new the savings have reduced, most of the quotes on car insurance are coming in at just £20 or £30 more others are more expensive. The excuses of increased number of accidents and car crime don’t wash, my last claim was back in 2005 after my car was hit by an unknown driver whilst parked legally on a street. As for car crime, the police figures for my local area don’t support that claim. It’s pure profiteering by insurance companies. 

I think you are correct. 

During lockdown and working from home, the number of cars owned did not reduce by any great degree but all had to be insured. However usage of these cars reduced greatly because many people had nowhere they were allowed to go and no need to use them for commuting. Consequently, there must have been considerably fewer accident claims. Did the premiums fall during this period and the following year? Yours might have done, but mine certainly didn’t. 

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Morning everyone,

Grey and dull down here this morning.

Had a phone call yesterday to alter the time of our pick up, an hour and a half earlier!  Just need to put the few bits in the hand luggage and I'm ready for the off! 

Have a good day.

Pam 

Have a lovely relaxing cruise. X

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kalos said:

Morning ,everything is going up in price for everyone these days, so I think it has a chain

reaction on everything you buy .

Yesterday one of my brake lights had blown so I looked online and Halfords would be 

happy to fit a new one ,if I was happy to part with £14.

The other option was use my local auto spare shop ,where the guy who runs it fitted it

for £5  but I gave him £6 for his troubles.

Support your locals and they support us  🙂

Take care have a nice day everyone😀

DW said ' are you getting your car cleaned today ,?' Just the outside this time....Why ?. Its an extra 8 quid to have the inside as well.....You could always do it yourself........WHAT !!!.

But I can change a break light bulb.🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Our cleaning lady recommended her son who is in the building game.We needed the cracks and peeling paint on the outside walls hacked out , filled and prepared for me to paint.After a couple of hours he asked for 3 beers for him and his 2 mates.He had the hump when I offered him a warm 3 pack of Peroni.I had to give him my 2 cold ones from the fridge and put a warm one in the freezer for him.A beer break is a tradition here for workers,lol.They did a good job though.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Had our flu jabs yesterday and are fine with no sore arm or aches. We find it best to let the arm hang down relaxed when being injected and not bent at all. 

I’ll try that the next time.

I still have a red egg on my arm. I would post a picture but it would put people off their lunch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Maybe you should seek medical advice of you have such a large bruise.

It’s not a bruise, it’s a raised hard red patch and I get it some years but not others. The first time it happened, many years ago, I did see about it. Some people apparently just react adversely and others are luckier.

Thank you for your concern though, much appreciated.

• Like 5