P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

20 minutes ago, Beckett said:

As a naturally impatient person, and as Kalos is obviously going to deliver his news in bite-size pieces, I'm on tenterhooks here! It's like Eastenders but with a real story, real actors, and a far better story line and delivery.

On a serious note Kalos, your cabin neighbours sound like pond life and I sincerely hope they didn't spoil your holiday.

Well I'm just getting settled to watch the Cenotaph service as I do every year but I've got my tablet beside me in case a new episode from Kalos appears while I'm watching.

Have a good day everyone and let's celebrate all those brave souls who gave their todays so that we could have our tomorrows.

Best wishes to all.  Jane xx

I’m with you there Jane, keen to know the end of Kalos’s story. Sounds worrying to me.

Been having a good clean up today as it’s my Dad’s funeral tomorrow. I have a stinky cold too. Just going to ‘watch the silence’ which sounds all wrong.

Wishing it was this time tomorrow….

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Morning folks, it's 2.c and foggy here . Thanks for the welcome home comments 

also hope @grapau27 has sorted his phone out .

Going back to our cruise .... 

We used the Holiday Inn  cruise package which we found to be good ,with parking,
breakfast and a taxi to and from the port .
We were due boarding for 1 pm and were at the port for 12,30 but was waved through and onboard for 12.40 and soon munching  on a curry I put together on one of the few times we used the buffet.
The sail away from our balcony was a bit different from any others we have done in the past .

Forget We are sailing ,more like Smoke On The Water !   
To one side we had neighbours a few cabins away playing hell up with their neighbours  who were playing their own  Rave ?? music lent over the balcony vaping .
A few further up from them another family were actually smoking , claiming they had no idea that it was not allowed . Seems P&O were looking for a new type of cruiser and they had got them with these folk . P&O 's response was to put it on the back page of  the Horizon mag that it should not happen .
We was told the Vaping issue continued , the sales push seemed more important .
If they can do all that sales bumf why not a card stating fags etc are not allowed
in cabins and balcony's ?
Some things were a first for us, away for Halloween , but for those who  wanted
 a thrill,we had the Bay of Biscay ,a few scary green looking faces to be seen around the ship.
We also missed bonfire night .On getting home our neighbour complained the fire works had been relentless. A few sky rockets on the 10th of November almost took out his 
garden Christmas display .
We liked our cruise and spent many happy hours wrapped up well at times rocking and rolling with the Bay of Biscay . 
Our anti sickness remedies was found in the Saffron it was called a full breakfast and toast and tea it worked for us but we had Kwells on standby .
Someday's were a bit bouncy and even the captain said he woke up one day feeling a bit off.
Talking of breakfast catch you  a bit later .

Here are a few photo's. . . . 

View from Holliday Inn  room.

image.thumb.jpeg.af2001b5d1d8b59ba8fc4f1b13d8fb1b.jpeg

Our lazy days, watching the world go by from our balcony 

seaspray2.thumb.jpg.6bbc8110cb2e14327722949c6f2bfaaf.jpgseaspray1.thumb.jpg.0881113d3d27ac90a34bbe851ab69185.jpg

Our anti sea sickness potion 

breakfast.thumb.jpg.0c30dacd4d7777da2819ea6794d4f46c.jpg

And for all you bargain lovers 🤣😆😅

waterjoke.thumb.jpg.c3eaaa31ba276ded1a25167d99aaa534.jpg

breakfast.jpg

Great photos Kalos.

I'm pleased you had a nice cruise.

My phone is being repaired so I hope this posts.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I’m with you there Jane, keen to know the end of Kalos’s story. Sounds worrying to me.

Been having a good clean up today as it’s my Dad’s funeral tomorrow. I have a stinky cold too. Just going to ‘watch the silence’ which sounds all wrong.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow Sue.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Currently pouring with rain here, temp around 4C, a few hardly souls have been going past for the service at local war memorial, not a pleasant morning after yesterday’s sunshine. 

Just had a weather warning for strong winds tomorrow as a result of Storm Debi, 45 mph gusts tomorrow afternoon, looks dry though, which is good as I am on a training course tomorrow to teach us how to identify and record structural issues at the site I volunteer at. We have had some minor masonry issues of late and our Volunteer Manager thought it would be a good idea to train the volunteers to look for early signs of structural problems, so the estates team have arranged for that training, should have happened in early October, but a number of the team went down with it that can’t be named. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, kalos said:

Same here Jane, we always make time to remember them.lest we forget .

We have just lit two candles for two uncles  ,20 and 24 year olds who never came back 

leaving a mum childless in ww2 . We will remember them .

My Grandad signed up in 1914. He was a bit underage, but got away with it. He fought at the Somme, came home, but bad memories stayed with him. Let's have our day to remember.

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

My Grandad signed up in 1914. He was a bit underage, but got away with it. He fought at the Somme, came home, but bad memories stayed with him. Let's have our day to remember.

My Grandad signed up in 1914 too.  He was a gunner in the 34th Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery. He died on 26th October 1917 aged 34 leaving Gran a widow with 5 children. I never knew him, but I will never forget him.

Avril

• Like 18

53 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I hope it goes well tomorrow Sue and that you hold it all together despite your cold. Many of your friends here will be thinking of, and supporting you.  Jane xx

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Hope all goes well tomorrow Sue ,so sorry for your loss ,he will be with you forever in your heart and thoughts .

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

My Dad, my hero... 

We were lucky to have him until he was 86, but always conscious so many of his mates never made it. 

Thinking of all our Dad's and Grandads today. 

Thoughts and love with you Sue for tomorrow x

Andy 

IMG_20231112_113856.jpg

I remember you saying Andy that he was a Chindit like my uncle.He was missing in the jungle for 6 months believed killed and one day a load of them walked out including my uncle.

• Like 17

My FIL was one of the lucky ones, he trained in tanks until he got diagnosed with a perforated ulcer and was discharged. The guys he trained with were blown up in their tank,he would have been in it.

Edited by brian1
  • Like 14

10 minutes ago, brian1 said:

My FIL was one of the lucky ones, he trained in tanks until he got diagnosed with a perforated ulcer and was discharged. The guys he trained with were blown up in their tank,he would have been in it.

Fate. One of my best friends in the RN,  David Briggs, tried to persuade me to sign for pension, I had already been accepted for the police. We kept in touch and he went down onboard HMS Sheffield, could have been me.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I hope that you are feeling better tomorrow and that everything goes well for your dad's funeral.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

My grandad also signed up in 1914.  He also fought at the Somme where he lost his foot. 

My grandma always told us of how had a vision of him telling her to go home immediately while she was in church  when she turned into their street there was a telegraph boy delivering the news that he was dead.  Grandma refused to believe it because he had "spoken" to her.  A few days later she got another telegram telling her that he had been found in a field hospital and was being brought home.  He lived to be 79 but suffered flashbacks for the rest of his life.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

As a naturally impatient person, and as Kalos is obviously going to deliver his news in bite-size pieces, I'm on tenterhooks here!

Sorry about the delay but I am no @Selbourne when it comes to Vlogs and others who 

can do these things so fluently and easily and am glad to read Mrs S and himself had a good cruise.

I have been busy sorting things out and with what happened I have had to hit the floor running

with this and as you can understand ,family wanting a few answers as well. So I hope you 

all understand ,it was done in segments as I do not do vlogs and wanted family to know what happened first as some have been known to lurk on here to read my posts .

I will now jump /fast forward to the night before Cadiz. Mrs K wanted an early night as she had got a backache which we put down to some jolts within the ship. 

I told her take a couple of Paracetamol and she said it also made her feel a bit yuk ,so she took a sea sickness as well.

Going on a few hours to midnight she woke me up and said that "her back was still playing up and the pain had radiated into her ribs ,causing a pressure onto her chest "

Taking into account she already has heart problems I got her to ring the medical team,as our cabin was central we then made our way down to deck 4.

The nurse started to do blood tests looking for heart attack signs with in the blood .

By now a half asleep doctor turned up in his boxer shorts a tee shirt to look at cardio graph and blood results but due to her past heart results, he wanted her to go to Cadiz  Hospital  once we docked . 

I must say if your going to take ill then a cruise ship is the best place to do it, no sat in A&E for hours but it does come at a cost, a big one at that ,so make sure you declare everything and have suitable cruise cover insurance .

Lucky for Mrs K the tests came back clear but the doctor said and said he was happy for us to cruise if it was not for her past history so off to the hozzie to make sure..

With this one of the P&O staff were assigned to us (care team ) who now wanted me to pack all our luggage and gave us a few options leave them with the ship to be collected or take the suit cases with us or have a luggage company bring them to our house once home . we chose the latter 

It was now going on for 3am ,so off I went to clear our cabin of our things and pack a travel bag each . If Mrs K was kept in hospital the care team would arrange a nearby hotel for me and flight back home once she was deemed fit to travel .

If the hospital gave her the all clear and gave her a letter stating this then we would be let back on board .

Eventually a paramedic ambulance came and took her off board and they did further tests at the shore side before heading to the hospital in another ambulance they had sent for her .

Thankfully all other tests they did were clear and the ships doctor gave us clearance to re-board the ship and continue with the cruise .

With that baggage was returned to us and we just carried on cruising .

Lots of paperwork still to sort to reclaim our costs but we have a great care team and insurance team giving us help and guidance, so I will leave it at that.

As I said in my opening post ,lots of things we were expecting and a few we were not . 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, kalos said:

Morning folks, it's 2.c and foggy here . Thanks for the welcome home comments 

also hope @grapau27 has sorted his phone out .

Going back to our cruise .... 

We used the Holiday Inn  cruise package which we found to be good ,with parking,
breakfast and a taxi to and from the port .
We were due boarding for 1 pm and were at the port for 12,30 but was waved through and onboard for 12.40 and soon munching  on a curry I put together on one of the few times we used the buffet.
The sail away from our balcony was a bit different from any others we have done in the past .

Forget We are sailing ,more like Smoke On The Water !   
To one side we had neighbours a few cabins away playing hell up with their neighbours  who were playing their own  Rave ?? music lent over the balcony vaping .
A few further up from them another family were actually smoking , claiming they had no idea that it was not allowed . Seems P&O were looking for a new type of cruiser and they had got them with these folk . P&O 's response was to put it on the back page of  the Horizon mag that it should not happen .
We was told the Vaping issue continued , the sales push seemed more important .
If they can do all that sales bumf why not a card stating fags etc are not allowed
in cabins and balcony's ?

Unfortunately P&O don't seem to want the hassle of dealing with issue of these anti-social dimwits lighting up on their balconies.

We had this on Arvia earlier this year.  Reported to reception several times.  Discussed the issue with the deck manager.  All he was able to do was get us a complimentary bottle of house wine..

Lodged a complaint when we got home.  Was basically told that unless the staff catch these people  puffing on a Cohiba they are unable to do anything. 😠  We did get £250 FCC which we were able to put towards an already booked cruise.  At least the anti-social dimwit saved us a bit of me and we had a bottle of plonk with dinner.

• Like 6