P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

As I sit in front of my patio door looking at the grey sky and drizzly rain I think where is Robin, where is Blackbird, where are the pair Magpie, the pair of Crows or the Seagulls. The Seagulls who think a slice of bread is such a fantastic find. Hiding in their nests or in bushes or under a spreading tree.

Aren't I lucky, when the skies go grey, the winds blow hard and it gets rather cold I can just jump on a nice comfy ship and float off to warmer climes and see blues skies and sunshine. 

Aren't I lucky.

Paul

• Like 3

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Starting the drive back tomorrow.A bit early but the BIL has been stressing with the builders due to his onset dementure.Thought we'd get back and see the job thru.Back in March for 45 days.Last meal tonight in restaurant before the drive to Orvieto.

Have a good meal tonight bro, and a safe and stress free journey home.

Sis

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

A unseasonably warm morning at 18C, drizzly rain, but the tree surgeons hard at work nevertheless. The hawthorn & holly hedge at bottom of garden being trimmed back, that part of garden looks much lighter already, it had grown a little too high over last 5 years, so need a severe cut back.

The local pigeons will be confused as their canoodling hedge has been cut down somewhat and if they use it now will be sitting targets for the local Sparrowhawks. 

All finished now, the amount of light in that part of garden now compared to before is amazing, my neighbour also gains as will make her patio much lighter for longer in the summer. 

1.5 tonnes of clippings, a few logs which went to a neighbour with a wood burner stove, the clippings go off to be composted. 

The wood pigeons & collar doves are confused keep swooping down from the house only to find that part of hedge has gone and have to abort landing, gave us a few laughs watching them over our lunch.

Next job is to get a skip to remove the piles of rotting planks, and other detritus from behind the shed which I couldn’t access before. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Have a good meal tonight bro, and a safe and stress free journey home.

Sis

Cheers sis,I'll report on my progress internet permiting on my dodgy old laptop.Gonna get a new one when we're home,bro.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

All finished now, the amount of light in that part of garden now compared to before is amazing, my neighbour also gains as will make her patio much lighter for longer in the summer. 

1.5 tonnes of clippings, a few logs which went to a neighbour with a wood burner stove, the clippings go off to be composted. 

The wood pigeons & collar doves are confused keep swooping down from the house only to find that part of hedge has gone and have to abort landing, gave us a few laughs watching them over our lunch.

Next job is to get a skip to remove the piles of rotting planks, and other detritus from behind the shed which I couldn’t access before. 

Nights are chilly here and everyone uses logs.There are people stacking them up for the winter all over the place.Nice smell when walking out at night.PS people are sensitive with the detritus word here after a certain person used it,lol.

Edited by brian1
  • Like 1

My day has seriously deteriorated they have sent me the wrong wine box. 12 bottles of non-alcoholic (well almost none). The phone lines have burned hot and its now coming on Thursday. I have had to stir my weary bones and visit the wine shop. Hmnn long lazy afternoon indeed! When I screeched in shock at the delivery all 3 dachsies ran under the sideboard. First world problems.

We went off to visit a pal who found his bungalow too much with COPD and has moved to an over '60s flat, nearer to his family. 

He doesn't know the area well but heard of one pub for lunch. When we drove up it said "Pensioners lunch £4.49 for two courses".  We didn't get our hopes up!  Well, first the landlady welcomed us, then a gentleman moved to a smaller table so we could have his.  Well my Ham egg and chips was the best I've had for ages as was the sticky toffee pudding. The others enjoyed theirs too.  Plenty for lunchtime

£30 for three main course, three puddings, two beers and one large wine!!"  We will be back😃

• Like 7

Hello all, feeling a bit miserable today. Our son’s partner regularly does LFT tests and yesterday thinks it may have been positive (the line was very feint) so has had a PCR today but won’t get the result until tomorrow. John and I both did a LFT - both negative. She has no symptoms but the worse thing is it’s our grandson’s birthday Thursday so it’s possible we won’t see him. What timing eh! We’ve both taken the day off work too. At least she’s not ill.

• Like 3

Oh yes and another reason I’m feeling sad is we’ve had a long chat and will probably be moving our 2022 cruise, sad but I can’t take the stress of it all. The one week cruise on Iona we were thinking of changing it to is nearly the same price now as what we paid for 14 nights to the Med so I’d be grumpy moving it to that.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Hello all, feeling a bit miserable today. Our son’s partner regularly does LFT tests and yesterday thinks it may have been positive (the line was very feint) so has had a PCR today but won’t get the result until tomorrow. John and I both did a LFT - both negative. She has no symptoms but the worse thing is it’s our grandson’s birthday Thursday so it’s possible we won’t see him. What timing eh! We’ve both taken the day off work too. At least she’s not ill.

I hope her test is negative Sue.

Fortunately she is feeling okay.

Happy birthday to your grandson on Thursday.

Graham.

• Thanks 1

Had to have a PCR test last friday after neice tested positive and we had been at her house on sat evening. We are now on day 4 since test and still havn't received results. Phoned 119 3 times today 1st one there was a 30 min wait time to speak to some one to tell you your result (the person who actually answers the phone cannot tell you your results, just asks for your number of test you are given). 2nd time there was a twenty minute wait and I had to go out to fetch grandkids from school. I was told to phone back after 6pm as would be quieter. Phoned at 5.30 and was told he couldn't put me through as no one was there. (lines are supposed to be open 7am to 11pm). Said he would e-mail them as it would be quicker but would have to wait for upto 72 hrs for them to get back to me. I said we were already on day 10 since contact and because double jabbed didn't have to isolate. If we have to wait another 3 days that wil be day 13. My DH said no wonder infections are rising with this service. Its a complete joke or as Jean would say you couldn't make it up.🤣

• Like 4

10 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Oh yes and another reason I’m feeling sad is we’ve had a long chat and will probably be moving our 2022 cruise, sad but I can’t take the stress of it all. The one week cruise on Iona we were thinking of changing it to is nearly the same price now as what we paid for 14 nights to the Med so I’d be grumpy moving it to that.

Oh heck!! Just read your previous post too. Fingers crossed the test is negative and you can see your grandson. Cruises booked far out seem more expensive and the ones closer to the date have amazing prices.,

Hope everything works out for you

Michelle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sue

Hope today is a better day for you x

There seems to be a gloomy mood wrt increasing cases, invalid results, frustrating communication, lack of vaccine.  Poor timing as the weather finally decides to match the season and become miserable and autumnal.

We have a family meet up this weekend (🤞) for the first time since August.  Hopefully nobody gets a cough or a bad result before that

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sue, sorry to hear you're feeling low, hope you feeling better today. 

I have nothing interesting lined up. My job finishes end of next week, so I suppose I should be looking for something else, but I've got that can't be bothered feeling. On a brighter note, the sun is shining after all yesterday's rain, although it is still windy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Sue

Hope today is a better day for you x

There seems to be a gloomy mood wrt increasing cases, invalid results, frustrating communication, lack of vaccine.  Poor timing as the weather finally decides to match the season and become miserable and autumnal.

We have a family meet up this weekend (🤞) for the first time since August.  Hopefully nobody gets a cough or a bad result before that

Sadly, that’s very true. I know from personal experience just how difficult it’s been to line up the vitally important third vaccine for the immunosuppressed that’s supposed to have happened weeks ago, and thousands more are still struggling to get it.

Meanwhile it’s become more and more difficult to get the third vaccine for the elderly, because there’s not enough vaccine, and there aren’t enough people to deliver it. It’s a chaotic mess all round now - a far cry from the early part of the year when the UK was ahead of the rest of the world.

Cases are going through the roof, and so are hospitalisations and deaths - about time for some action, rather than words.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

So sorry to read that Sue, I really hope the PCR test is negative and that you get to see your Grandson on his birthday!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

There is enough vaccine but the difficulty is organising the deployment to the right people. They seem to be sorting through files rather than just going by the date of the last vaccine. 

Our boosters are due November 1st, but our surgery has said they aren't doing them, and we have to wait until the vaccination hub contacts us. 

Avril

My surgery web site has not mentioned boosters yet but at least there is a walk in centre in Chatham and they are doing boosters. Easier to get to as well, just stay on the bus for another 10 minutes. My booster should be due mid November. Flu jab tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Our boosters are due November 1st, but our surgery has said they aren't doing them, and we have to wait until the vaccination hub contacts us. 

Avril

Apparently because the GP's have been told to concentrate on seeing patients and they can't do both

Well, I spoke too soon about the weather.  After a very wet and stormy night it is now warm and sunny, although gusty

I’m sure everyone will be excited to hear that the health secretary will be leading a Covid briefing at 5pm today.  I don’t know which of the experts will join him