P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

We get these calls on a regular basis to the landline - ex-directory and rarely given to anyone.

TalkTalk had it as our ISP, and kindly leaked it to criminals, along with thousands of other records. Complete with full name and address of course. One Dido Harding, currently heading up Track and Trace, tipped to be heading the NHS soon, was in charge at the time.

Many of these calls are to ex TalkTalk customers.  Asking for the account number throws them. Telling them you don’t have the internet does too. I had fun with one of them by telling him I only spoke Swedish, and there are all sorts of games you can play if you have the time.

Bear in mind though - they usually have your address and your phone number!

Harry, there are lots of call shielding systems that you can employ to filter out these unwanted calls, and most phone providers do offer these for free.

6 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Regarding nuisance phone calls.

We have call guardian on our phone, and it cut nuisance calls by 100%. 

Any callers that aren’t on our ‘accepted list’ have to announce themselves, and scammers can’t be bothered with that 

I agree 100%

I can’t tell you how relaxing it is to never, ever, get unwanted calls

• Like 1

We have had a couple from Amazon with a badly recorded message telling me my Amazon Prime account is soon to expire and that I could renew it over the phone for £79.99. I don’t have an Amazon prime account. More worryingly, we got a cold caller at the door this afternoon from a utilities company with 8 legs. No mask, not wanting to take no from an answer and only 6 weeks since the last cold caller from the same company. Not a fake phishing call but annoying none the less. The lady we complained to on the phone was really helpful and sympathetic though. 

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Harry, there are lots of call shielding systems that you can employ to filter out these unwanted calls, and most phone providers do offer these for free.

Thanks John. You’re absolutely right of course, and we do have blocking options on the phones.

I block known scammers, but mostly they spoof the numbers so that it’s a different number every time. I could block all the unknown numbers and put them through screening, but there aren’t enough to bother about and it would mostly affect genuine callers.

Usually, the calls restart after someone else has bought the TalkTalk list on the dark web, and they stop after two or three ‘unsatisfactory’ calls.

Besides which it would spoil the fun I have with them..........😉

2 minutes ago, pete14 said:

We have had a couple from Amazon with a badly recorded message telling me my Amazon Prime account is soon to expire and that I could renew it over the phone for £79.99. I don’t have an Amazon prime account. More worryingly, we got a cold caller at the door this afternoon from a utilities company with 8 legs. 

Spider Man?

15 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

But what if I had an accident and it wasn't my fault, or was mis sold PPI... 

How would I know these things??? 😊

Andy 

I don't have call shielding on my PAYG mobile and recently had one of those you recently had an accident that wasn't your fault calls  and really surprised the young lady when I said, how dare you suggest that I might be at fault for ANY of my accidents.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

We get these calls on a regular basis to the landline - ex-directory and rarely given to anyone.

I had fun with one of them by telling him I only spoke Swedish, and there are all sorts of games you can play if you have the time.

Bear in mind though - they usually have your address and your phone number!

The best way to stop these calls on a regular basis Harry is not to talk to them .

These low lifes will go onto the Dark Web and buy a few hundred numbers that are sold as 

"live numbers " that talk to you . It only takes one number to give information and kerching they are quids in .

People who play with them forget one thing ..You are now for sale as a "talking number "  .

Sure you will outwit most of them but odds on are one day ,best weapon is don't talk to them .

They buy spoof numbers , that are used by legit companies to give you free phone numbers but 

the trouble is they can choose any number as their real number is masked behind this .

I just look at the landline and it lights up with the name of anyone I know if not then it goes to answer machine ,

that is set to 8 rings and most fakes either hang up or leave no message .

I get very little as they get no response,which no one would want to buy a number that does not answer .

As I said the best defense is not to talk to them if possible .

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, kalos said:

The best way to stop these calls on a regular basis Harry is not to talk to them .

These low lifes will go onto the Dark Web and buy a few hundred numbers that are sold as 

"live numbers " that talk to you . It only takes one number to give information and kerching they are quids in .

People who play with them forget one thing ..You are now for sale as a "talking number "  .

Sure you will outwit most of them but odds on are one day ,best weapon is don't talk to them .

They buy spoof numbers , that are used by legit companies to give you free phone numbers but 

the trouble is they can choose any number as their real number is masked behind this .

I just look at the landline and it lights up with the name of anyone I know if not then it goes to answer machine ,

I get very little as they get no response,which no one would want to buy a number that does not answer .

Up to a point, I'd agree.  But if I were not to answer all calls that I didn't recognise I'd miss a lot of important calls.  And once you answer that unrecognised call, it's seen as a live line.

When I said 'regular' I meant maybe a couple every few weeks - really not an issue by comparison with the total number of calls.  Believe me, no sane caller would want to repeat one of these calls based on the response they get here!

I fully take the point you make though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Regarding nuisance phone calls.

We have call guardian on our phone, and it cut nuisance calls by 100%. 

Any callers that aren’t on our ‘accepted list’ have to announce themselves, and scammers can’t be bothered with that 

Pauline only uses the landline to phone and receive weekly calls to her cousin in Adelaide Australia.

Everyone else phones Pauline's or my mobile only.

I never use the house phone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I don't have call shielding on my PAYG mobile and recently had one of those you recently had an accident that wasn't your fault calls  and really surprised the young lady when I said, how dare you suggest that I might be at fault for ANY of my accidents.

I had one of those.  I told the man in question that, yes, indeed, I had just had an accident, and unfortunately my wife had been decapitated.  His next question was " how is she feeling now?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I had one of those.  I told the man in question that, yes, indeed, I had just had an accident, and unfortunately my wife had been decapitated.  His next question was " how is she feeling now?"

If that was an automated call using AI software, I think it might need re-programming.:classic_unsure:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ann141 said:

I bought one of those kits earlier this year with every intention of cleaning the oven.However when I looked closely (with my glasses on!) I decided to take advantage of an offer to have someone to professionally clean the oven and have vowed to regulary clean it before it gets in a really bad state in the future.I feel it was worth every penny!

Clean your oven, never done mine, after all it gets extremely hot a few times a week so there are no germs or smell in there and the dark smoked glass door disguises the inside. I do clean the outside and bits on top. 🤢😁

17 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If that was an automated call using AI software, I think it might need re-programming.:classic_unsure:

No, a real human being, reading off a script.  Kept him talking for 20 minutes (I was bored) telling him about my Rolls Royce being scratched etc. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Clean your oven, never done mine, after all it gets extremely hot a few times a week so there are no germs or smell in there and the dark smoked glass door disguises the inside. I do clean the outside and bits on top. 🤢😁

Dave, how do you keep your shelves clean? 

I almost always just leave the answer phone on as any genuine caller, family or friends only will leave a message, the scammers just ring off. For my PAYG mobile you have to text me, I check it once a day, an no i won't give you the number 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kalos said:

It isn't just criminal outsiders doing this.My SIL was expecting a phonecall from an Indian call centre regarding her internet connection.10 minutes before her scheduled call an Indian guy phoned and talked her thru a load of stuff and managed to get control of her computer remotely.Luckily her daughter walked in and realised what was going on and terminated the call.If that's not an "inside" job what isn't,cheers,Brian.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

So sorry Graham, I didn’t open this thread yesterday, many happy returns for yesterday 🎂🎈🍺.

It’s my birthday next month and I fear we could all be locked down again by then 😒

Please add my apologies to Sue's, Graham. A very happy birthday for yesterday.

• Thanks 1