P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

5 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Haven't seen this, though have read the fascinating background story.

Every production I've ever seen featuring Suffolk or Norfolk accents portray it as a West Country accent - good to know they got it right this time.

With you entirely. And the Suffolk guy who did the speech coaching said it always sounded ‘West of Swindon, with a touch of Long John Silver’!

I love the way local accents merge and slowly change on the Norfolk borders with Suffolk and Lincolnshire, and the Suffolk border with Essex.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Thanks

There’s time, I’m sure

Well, we’re vaccinated.  All very efficient.  Pfizer, so you even get a 15 minute rest afterwards.  Nothing to report at the mo wrt side effects etc.

Only an inability to type?😂

Really pleased you've had the jab.

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

With you entirely. And the Suffolk guy who did the speech coaching said it always sounded ‘West of Swindon, with a touch of Long John Silver’!

I love the way local accents merge and slowly change on the Norfolk borders with Suffolk and Lincolnshire, and the Suffolk border with Essex.

It's an almost impossible accent to master - I've lived here for 48 years and still can't do it. The daughters were all born here, and they can't do it either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Hull is the only ferry for us my list is Bristol, Falmouth, Liverpool, Newcastle, Hull,
Harwich, Portsmouth and Southampton.

Portsmouth was the MS Pont Aven ferry but was a French new year charted cruise. 

Southampton,Dover and Newcastle for us.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Southampton,Dover and Newcastle for us.

North Shields. It was the start of our around the UK tour for us on a nice summers night .

There was plenty of folks on a small beach waving us farewell that evening .

Would love to sail out of there again .

• Like 1

With regards accents we used to live in the north London area and moved down here. My youngest daughter, was born down here, so when she started school and was learning to read would read with a Cornish accent as her teacher was Cornish therefore my daughter would read with her teacher's but speak like we do. It was funny to hear!

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, kalos said:

North Shields. It was the start of our around the UK tour for us on a nice summers night .

There was plenty of folks on a small beach waving us farewell that evening .

Would love to sail out of there again .

This is the beach you saw.

We were standing here watching Oceana sailing out of North Shields.

Screenshot_20210130_203521_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

We watched it last night, Jane.  As you say, a charming film - thoroughly enjoyed it, and Ralph Fiennes was utterly believable. His accent training paid off too - spot on.  Best Suffolk accent I’ve ever heard from an actor!

Harry

I’ve just seen The Dig.

I really enjoyed it, definitely worth watching 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I’ve been sucked into watching The Masked Singer again. We reckon Blob is Lenny Henry, Viking is Morten Harket & Sausage is Stacey Dooley.

Two correct and one still in play. It could easily be Stacey Dooley because she seems to be in everything else at the moment. Can’t understand why but I am sure many have a different opinion. I was only watching it for a friend - certainly not for myself. 🥴

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Done numerous British Isles cruises and cruised into and out of Guernsey, Belfast, Liverpool, Holyhead, Greenock, Orkney Isles, Invergordon and South Queensferry.

I forgot about our Holyhead trip over to Ireland with the car . That was our mainland ports .

We have also have done Guernsey, Kirkwall (Orkney) and Tobermory (Isle of Mull) if we count

off the mainland . Looking at your list there is still a few more I could do :classic_unsure:

21 minutes ago, kalos said:

I forgot about our Holyhead trip over to Ireland with the car . That was our mainland ports .

We have also have done Guernsey, Kirkwall (Orkney) and Tobermory (Isle of Mull) if we count

off the mainland . Looking at your list there is still a few more I could do :classic_unsure:

We have sailed in and out of Guernsey several times.

We have sailed in and out of Cork too.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

I’ve been sucked into watching The Masked Singer again. We reckon Blob is Lenny Henry, Viking is Morten Harket & Sausage is Stacey Dooley.

Michelle got Morten and Lenny... 

I still think sausage is Sheridan Smith but Michelle thinks Stacey Soloman. 

Andy 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kalos said:

Hull is the only ferry for us

I know it isnt what you are talking about but  this is my favourite ferry

Blyth chain ferry, 1960  It is the Blyth Chain Ferry

Or was - its all gone now but when I was a bit younger LOL!  

We used to visit my aunty in Blyth and as a treat  my uncle would

take me for a ride on the chain ferry across to Cambois   which

sounds pretty much as if it should be in France to me. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Don’t think so, but it probably won’t take long. This, for us, was a rare chance to get some value out of the shared Netflix subscription. 

I'm not so sure.  The film was basically funded by Netflix, and they tend not to let other platforms buy their productions. 

• Like 1

Keeping on the Netflix theme, can I recommend the film "White Tiger" based on the novel by Aravind Adiga. Not as good as the novel (which is normally the case), but still a good " watch",  showing how the "new" India lives and develops alongside the traditional Indian culture, and the tensions that this causes. The film is more fun than my description! 

Today is a year on from when the NHS took up the battle against covid in a 

hospital in Newcastle .

Little did we know how much it would change our lives and the death and misery 

it would cause but lucky for us we have the best medical team in the NHS and researchers 

looking out for us ,so thank you  for being there for us .

Lets spare a thought for those who passed away to this virus .

beautiful-magic-.thumb.jpg.40a9b9f807c44aed2702ae874767105b.jpg

Please Stay safe  . :classic_smile:

• Like 9