P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

32 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Now I like my meat incinerated so looks gorgeous to me. I always ask for meat cremated and no pink as I gave up asking for it to be well done .....

Frank asks for very well done , no pink and it seems to work. Why anyone wants to eat undercooked meat is beyond me.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Frank asks for very well done , no pink and it seems to work. Why anyone wants to eat undercooked meat is beyond me.

Avril

At one time I would have said the same but now realise that it depends on the meat

A really good steak is ruined if to well done, medium is now my choice, some other meats I still like well cooked.

Like many things it's all down to personal choice.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I love Broadstairs 

Me too, can’t believe it’s nearly June and our first visit this year!

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Nice photos Sue.

Thanks Graham, the conservatory had the doors open so lots of fresh air !

Your Yorkshire puddings look enormous!

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

A lovely day and more to follow.

A question that I am sure has been asked before, but I would like any views from this community.

Southampton hotels. I have been looking at the Southampton Harbour Hotel and been quoted £266 for bed and breakfast. Is it worth the money ? My wife being a canny Yorkshire lass thinks it is too expensive, I like the look of it so if any of you have stayed there, I would appreciate your views.

We pay about £45 a night in a Premier Inn. The breakfast is an extra £10 each, so in total, £65.

Obviously I can't comment on the Harbour Hotel, and I'm sure it is lovely, but is it four times better than a PI ? For the price you quoted I would be expecting flowers, free mini bar, pre dinner drinks, pressing service, and a Goblin Teasmaid!  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Me too, can’t believe it’s nearly June and our first visit this year!

We are going somewhere this week, probably Herne Bay or Whitstable. Now summer seems to have arrived we will be visiting all our seaside haunts. The last time we went to the coast was in late September 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Now I like my meat incinerated so looks gorgeous to me. I always ask for meat cremated and no pink as I gave up asking for it to be well done .....

First of all, the location is stunning. But, the gravy is just dire- add some cornflour for goodness sake!

Obviously Graham might like his beef cooked beyond redemption,  but the fact that the fat is still intact would indicate that the joint was precooked, and just warmed up, prior to serving. 

Not a restaurant for me.

• Like 1

I know I'm probably being paranoid, but with current technology,  if you post a photo of yourself on here, or any other forum, it is quite easy for unscrupulous individuals to identify you, and work out where you live.

Telling everyone what cruise you are on, including dates, obviously is not a great idea either, when coupled with your photo.

I may be a little over dramatic, but sometimes it is best not to share too much information to complete strangers.

2 hours ago, pete14 said:

Looks a nice meal but the gravy looks very anaemic and the beef is a little too incinerated for my liking. 

My initial thought was ' I would have sent that fatty old bit of lamb back, but the Yorkshire pud looked good'🤣

10 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We decided to make the most of the bank holiday and popped back to the Lake District.

We had a coffee,Lime and soda at the Inn on the Lake on Ullswater.

We had Lunch outside at the Borrowdale hotel near Keswick.

IMG_20210530_103741.jpg

IMG_20210530_103900.jpg

IMG_20210530_104944.jpg

IMG_20210530_142207.jpg

IMG_20210530_142140.jpg

Lovely photos of you both and I would happily opt for no meat and three Yorkshires!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We decided to make the most of the bank holiday and popped back to the Lake District.

We had a coffee,Lime and soda at the Inn on the Lake on Ullswater.

We had Lunch outside at the Borrowdale hotel near Keswick.

IMG_20210530_103741.jpg

IMG_20210530_103900.jpg

IMG_20210530_104944.jpg

IMG_20210530_142207.jpg

IMG_20210530_142140.jpg

Crikey, that is the biggest Yorkshire Pud I have ever seen, is it pumped full of air. Gravy very thin, meat a bit fatty, but where are the roast spuds and ye olde Collie Cheese, guys?  Oh, no mint sauce either. Anyway I am sure it was enjoyable and the sun was shining.

Edited by NSWP

Lovely morning.  Not a cloud in the sky.  No plans - we’ll see what the day brings

If we eat out I’ll be sure not to post a pic - the Cruise Critic food critics can be a bit harsh!  As long as the diners enjoyed it, why worry?

Have a good day.  If you’re travelling, take care.  There’s a lot of traffic out there

• Like 7

Morning everyone, lovely day here too. I was complaining about no sun a few days ago and yesterday it was so hot I was sat in the shade most of the day.

All four grandchildren slept last night, the three eldest are still asleep. Going to beach for a couple of hours today then bbq for tea tonight. 
Have a nice Bank Holiday everyone.

Michelle

• Like 7

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Crikey, that is the biggest Yorkshire Pud I have ever seen, is it pumped full of air. Gravy very thin, meat a bit fatty, but where are the roast spuds and ye olde Collie Cheese, guys?  Oh, no mint sauce either. Anyway I am sure it was enjoyable and the sun was shining.

They brought a bowl of new and roast potatoes out separately.

Mint sauce too.

I don't like gravy and never put any on myself and leave any that is on with the roast beef.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Presto2 said:

My roast beef was medium,Pauline's was well done.

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

I know I'm probably being paranoid, but with current technology,  if you post a photo of yourself on here, or any other forum, it is quite easy for unscrupulous individuals to identify you, and work out where you live.

Telling everyone what cruise you are on, including dates, obviously is not a great idea either, when coupled with your photo.

I may be a little over dramatic, but sometimes it is best not to share too much information to complete strangers.

We were talking to a retired insurance loss adjuster and he said they check social media sites of people who put claims in for burglary when people are away and why claims can be turned down so very good point Wowzz.

This is why I wait until we are home before posting where we have been for the day.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Yesterday was the first time I had roast beef or any red meat since my heart attack 17 months ago.

Previously I was a massive meat eater and my steaks were always cooked medium.

Well done cremates the meat and rare with blood in the meat looks uncooked to me.

Graham.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We were talking to a retired insurance loss adjuster and he said they check social media sites of people who put claims in for burglary when people are away and why claims can be turned down so very good point Wowzz.

This is why I wait until we are home before posting where we have been for the day.

Graham.

When I was working a number of people got into trouble for things they said on Social Media, our union rep always advised people to lock down their profiles if they did not want the world to know what they said and if you didn’t then you need to accept the consequences for you actions. 

From a simple security point of view it is a sensible policy to lock you friends list so it’s not on public view and limit profile to friends only. That’s how my profile on SM is organised, after working on IT Security projects it’s the only way I would operate.

Only the other day our local police force issued a warning about various quizzes being run on social media and why they ask the questions they do, it’s a way of gleaning information to steal your identity and attempt to hijack you online accounts

https://www.westmercia.police.uk/news/west-mercia/news/2021/may/security-risks-to-playing-online-quizzes/?fbclid=IwAR30XqzQyAXMpbWD9ZJC_5CfidOUD9Dw74rm0u40ve-TaU8DKUOm6yA5UkQ

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

When I was working a number of people got into trouble for things they said on Social Media, our union rep always advised people to lock down their profiles if they did not want the world to know what they said and if you didn’t then you need to accept the consequences for you actions. 

From a simple security point of view it is a sensible policy to lock you friends list so it’s not on public view and limit profile to friends only. 

Only the other day our local police force issued a warning about various quizzes being run on social media and why they ask the questions they do, it’s a way of gleaning information to steal your identity and attempt to hijack you online accounts

https://www.westmercia.police.uk/news/west-mercia/news/2021/may/security-risks-to-playing-online-quizzes/?fbclid=IwAR30XqzQyAXMpbWD9ZJC_5CfidOUD9Dw74rm0u40ve-TaU8DKUOm6yA5UkQ

Good post thanks.

We never go on any other social media sites.

I only post on CC and TripAdvisor.

Fortunately I have CCTV cameras around our house and can check them on my phone app from anywhere in the world.

Graham.

15 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Afternoon all, lovely and sunny here as I write this although we’ve just got back from a jaunt to Broadstairs and the sun never really got through there and it was quite chilly at one point!

Our son had got us a Prezzo voucher and the Prezzo in Broadstairs is right on the seafront with a conservatory with a view. That’s the main reason we went. A nice lunch was had, shame we didn’t have more sun though. Busier than we’re used to but not too bad except the parking! Luckily we left plenty of time. Here’s me and the view from our table. 

15C8E86A-7A13-4A95-AC3A-9EAFB3171E7C.thumb.jpeg.0974084403ebc347e5ded654a46a3925.jpeg

5DDDA113-249A-48D7-8394-CA2E122EDEA9.jpeg

Our Anglo Italian friend Mario and his wife Dawn live in Broadstairs.We are going there soon for a couple of nights.Never been there but I'm sure he'll find us a nice restaurant as he and his family own a famous coffee and ice cream chain in the area.We normally meet up in Italy but that's a few weeks away now.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

They brought a bowl of new and roast potatoes out separately.

Mint sauce too.

I don't like gravy and never put any on myself and leave any that is on with the roast beef.

Yorksire Puddings without gravy, never, the best way is the real Yorkshire way with lashings of Onion Gravy has a starter.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

We pay about £45 a night in a Premier Inn. The breakfast is an extra £10 each, so in total, £65.

Obviously I can't comment on the Harbour Hotel, and I'm sure it is lovely, but is it four times better than a PI ? For the price you quoted I would be expecting flowers, free mini bar, pre dinner drinks, pressing service, and a Goblin Teasmaid!  

Thank you for your comments on PI. Now back to my original question.........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

My roast beef was medium,Pauline's was well done.

Providing you & Pauline enjoyed your meal , that is all that matters and pleased that 

you had a good day out .:classic_smile:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Thank you for your comments on PI. Now back to my original question.........

Us poor retired plumbers can't afford that place Bob.Some of the toffs over at Cunard might help.I'm sure that Port Royal bloke has probably been there,lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2