Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Just now, livingonthebeach said:

Yes I remember those days -- you could buy homes in Cape Coral and Ft Myers for dirt. I also remember when Charley hit the area. They have gone through a lot over the years. Sending positive thoughts and prayers their way. 

Saw this graphic earlier 😱

FB_IMG_1664453890690.thumb.jpg.c2726c56c1ff793833524ae40e69f1d0.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I had low expectations for Better Call Saul as spin-offs usually disappoint. But I really liked the character & the actor so I gave it a shot. Took me a awhile to warm up to it as it can be a bit slow-moving at times but by season 2, I was hooked as well.  Love that we get to see a few other of our favorite  Breaking Bad characters in their pre-Breaking Bad lives. Very interesting to see Jimmy McGills slow transformation into Saul Goodman (It'sss Allll Good Man).  

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have really enjoyed Better Caul Saul.    I have to watch the very last episode.   

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Disappointing about YouTube TV. I thought the same things as you. Now I know.

Better Call Saul is so good. You are going to love it. Really gets going in season 2 and 3.

2 hours ago, George C said:

I just finished Breaking Bad , will definitely start Better Call Saul soon. 

I am definitely enjoying seeing Breaking Bad characters pre-Breaking Bad. Love seeing Mike’s backstory as well. I’m surprised by the depth and of Jimmy’s character and the struggles he’s going through early in the series. Some of that shows through in Breaking Bad but at that point, it seems like Saul is fully developed.

I saw a lot of comments on social media about what a great job they did with the end of the Better Call Saul series. I think it won several awards. Bob Odenkirk does a great job. I was surprised to learn that he started as a comedy writer for several shows, including SNL. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

@molly361How you doing, Ellen?  Water staying away from the house?  Hope all is well.

She might have to go out to her car and charge her phone if she  still has no power and if her car isn't underwater. Earlier today they had 85 mph wind gust where she lives.

1 hour ago, ownedbypets said:

We were lucky in Tampa. Lost power for about 12 hours and had about an hour of yard clean up this morning.

I grew up in Ft Myers and still have family and friends in the area. My daughter was able to get back to her apartment this morning after the water had gone down. Cars had floated away and the first floor had a lot of water damage. It looked like she was living on the beach. Luckily she is on the 2nd floor so no damage. 

A co workers car was washed away and landed in a pile with a few others at their hospital.

My brother and niece both have homes on the islands near by. My brother in St James City and niece on Captiva. They evacuated but have seen videos and heard from neighbors that stayed and my brother lost everything and my niece has some damage.

A High school friend posted a picture of his house full of 4 ft of water. Total loss.

Contact is very minimal and the last I heard from my daughter was she is happy to be going back to work for the AC, ice and power.

I'm just happy that it's over and everyone is ok. All of the possessions can be replaced.

Bridge going to Sanibel was almost destroyed from what I heard so only way to get there is by boat. We stayed in Sanibel since my brother used to live there and ran a theater there with his wife . My niece was working as a realtor in Sanibel so she will find another job. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Big issue in Central Florida is we are totally saturated after the unusually wet summer we had. No where for water to go

I believe Orlando water goes into the Kissimmee river and onward to Lake Okeechobee

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

Bridge going to Sanibel was almost destroyed from what I heard so only way to get there is by boat. We stayed in Sanibel since my brother used to live there and ran a theater there with his wife . My niece was working as a realtor in Sanibel so she will find another job. 

Yes, I read that also. I'm sorry about your niece. Hopefully she will find another job soon. My nieces house on Sanibel is a vacation home and they live in Ft Myers. Her and my brother both have boats that they moved to her house in FM for safety. They are headed back home tomorrow so I'm sure they will boat out to assess the damage as soon as possible.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

If you could pick only one favorite TV show, just one, past or present, which would it be?

Mine is M*A*S*H

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

"Friends"

Mine would be "How I met your mother". Don't tell DW but I had a secret crush on Cobie Smulders

M*A*S*H and Friends go on the honorable mention list though. As does Married with Children

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Keksie said:

That is why people laugh during funerals sometimes.

7 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Mary Tyler Moore Show - Chuckles Bites the Dust.

My laughing at a funeral story.

Several years ago, one of our good friend’s dad, Jack, passed away, and we went to his memorial service.  Jack had been cremated, and his ashes were in a very ornate box, that was at the alter in the church.

It was then that Susan saw the box, and she leaned over to me, and in a not so quiet voice said “ Is that Jack in the Box?”

Of course, everyone around us heard and started chuckling.  

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, George C said:

I also wonder about one of my favorite restaurants on Captiva, The Bubble Room? It would be a shame if that was destroyed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

"Gilligan's Island".

No, just kidding. Used to be "Seinfeld"  but in recent years, I'd go with "Frasier", with "The Walking Dead"  and "Breaking Bad" being a close runner-ups.

Gilligan's Island was the first one that popped into my head too!  I watched that after school all the time.    Seinfeld and Friends are at the top of my list.    There are so many shows I have truly enjoyed and love watching re-runs its hard to narrow done to just one

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ownedbypets said:

We were lucky in Tampa. Lost power for about 12 hours and had about an hour of yard clean up this morning.

I grew up in Ft Myers and still have family and friends in the area. My daughter was able to get back to her apartment this morning after the water had gone down. Cars had floated away and the first floor had a lot of water damage. It looked like she was living on the beach. Luckily she is on the 2nd floor so no damage. 

A co workers car was washed away and landed in a pile with a few others at their hospital.

My brother and niece both have homes on the islands near by. My brother in St James City and niece on Captiva. They evacuated but have seen videos and heard from neighbors that stayed and my brother lost everything and my niece has some damage.

A High school friend posted a picture of his house full of 4 ft of water. Total loss.

Contact is very minimal and the last I heard from my daughter was she is happy to be going back to work for the AC, ice and power.

I'm just happy that it's over and everyone is ok. All of the possessions can be replaced.

The news had some reporting from Matlacha, showing that they lost that bridge too.  You had to cross it to get to Pine Island, which is where St. James City is.  When my parents were alive, they had a place on Pine Island.

This bridge is not as big as the one to Sanibel, but replacing bridges will take some time.  I would think they may bring in temporary bridges so people have access.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2022 at 5:10 PM, Sea Dog said:

They could get killed slamming into that pier.

My husband is a very serious, intelligent guy. Now. 
At one of his class reunions, pictures were posted on white poster boards. 
And there was Dick with his buddies. 
When  he was in  high school, he and his friends used to dive off the end of the pier during hurricanes and nor’easters. 
They lived at the beach so they lived in the ocean and felt bulletproof. 
And I guess they were. 

Edited by jagsfan
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

My laughing at a funeral story.

Several years ago, one of our good friend’s dad, Jack, passed away, and we went to his memorial service.  Jack had been cremated, and his ashes were in a very ornate box, that was at the alter in the church.

It was then that Susan saw the box, and she leaned over to me, and in a not so quiet voice said “ Is that Jack in the Box?”

Of course, everyone around us heard and started chuckling.  

OMG I would have had to go hide in the ladies room because I would not be able to stop laughing.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Yes I remember those days -- you could buy homes in Cape Coral and Ft Myers for dirt. I also remember when Charley hit the area. They have gone through a lot over the years. Sending positive thoughts and prayers their way. 

My Boss owns a couple million $ home in Cape Coral that he had built in 2017 on a canal.   His neighbor told him that most of the newer homes on the street are okay - some tiles missing from roof and the pool lanai needs some repairs but no flooding where some of the older homes down the street were flooded and now have several feet of mud/sand, etc. in them.    

I remember what that is like when Sandy hit our home in LBI and we had sand and dead fish in our house that stunk something awful after we were finally allowed to visit the island.

• Like 2