Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

50 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I agree with your Hotel Jazz recommendation.  Nice hotel and a great location by the top of La Rambla and near a Metro station.

Just looking at some prices for that hotel............for 2 nights  for 2 people it was like $492................Our adult Son might be coming with us, when adding a 3rd person in the room the Price went to $836....Is that about normal when adding a 3rd person?

I'm ready for some Kraken with extra Kraken.     I had to "let go" fire a girl in our office today.  For the 20 minutes she was in my office she went through every emotion (denial, anger, crying then hugging me).    I walked her over to her desk on the other side of the building to help her pack up her belongings then she started screaming at another girl that it was all her fault she got fired.  I thought she was about to punch her.    I almost felt like I was on an episode of BD or they were filming us.    

• Like 9
  • Haha 7

31 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Just looking at some prices for that hotel............for 2 nights  for 2 people it was like $492................Our adult Son might be coming with us, when adding a 3rd person in the room the Price went to $836....Is that about normal when adding a 3rd person?

Don't know about adding a 3rd person.  We (2 people) were there for 2 nights in September 2017 and paid 594 Euro.  $492 seems like a reasonable deal for a good hotel in a major city.  You can certainly find cheaper and also a lot more expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Lots of excellent ports Debbie with lots to see.

Excellent idea to have at least  2 nights pre cruise in Barcelona and 2 nights post cruise in Rome.

These are the 2 main ports and the extra time will be very worthwhile.

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

For your Nice stop, I highly recommend Ingrid Schmucker at Best French Riviera Tours if you want to go with a private tour.  We used her in 2017 and she was excellent.  Very knowledgeable and personable.  If I remember correctly, she's German, lived for several years in Italy, and has been a private guide in France since the 90s.  My contact info for her at the time was kultours06@gmail.com (Kultours Private Tours) so she may have changed the name of her company (she is a one woman company).  You might need to complete the form on the Contact page of her website to reach her.  She has a 6 person Mercedes van that is very comfortable if you want to share the cost with anyone else.  In 2017, it was 500 Euro for an 8 hour tour.

We went to Eze before all of the bigger buses got there.  Beautiful in the morning without crowds. We then toured Old Town in Nice where she picked up some food and wine for a picnic lunch.  We drove to a spot at the top of a mountain where we could see the ship in the distance from one side of the mountain and looked down over Monico from the other side.  Amazing place for a picnic lunch.  From there, we drove through La Turbie to see the Trophee d'Auguste (ruins of an ancient Roman monument) and then drove down to Monte-Carlo.  Ingrid is very flexible and can tweak a tour to do whatever you want.  

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

@Momof3gurlz Deb - A couple of other suggestions for Barcelona that you may not find from others:

In the gothic quarter of Barcelona, visit the Barcelona History Museum.  It doesn't get as much publicity as other attractions, and we honestly were just going to kill a few hours there while waiting for someone to fly in, but the roman ruins in the basement were fantastic.  Very informative look at what life was like in those times, if that sort of thing interests you.

We took a regional train to Girona and did a walking Game of Thrones tour of the old town.  Several scenes were filmed there.  The company that we used had pictures on an iPad of the scene in the show that you could compare to the real world in front of your eyes.  Since we were GOT fans, it was a fun way to see the city.

So many great suggestions already, I knew I came to the right place.  This GOT your will be a must do as we’re big fans too.  It’s on our re-watch list.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I'm ready for some Kraken with extra Kraken.     I had to "let go" fire a girl in our office today.  For the 20 minutes she was in my office she went through every emotion (denial, anger, crying then hugging me).    I walked her over to her desk on the other side of the building to help her pack up her belongings then she started screaming at another girl that it was all her fault she got fired.  I thought she was about to punch her.    I almost felt like I was on an episode of BD or they were filming us.    

I feel for you. Letting someone know they losing their job is never easy, even if it is glaringly obvious.

We had to let a contact worker go on Monday at our office, to which their contract ends March 31st. They already knew they were not being extended past their 2 year contract and their employment was ending the end of March. Add to that, they had been causing issues since the beginning of the year that are well documented. We are paying out their remaining contract and the health benefits will remain until the end of March. Even with multiple explanations she just didn’t get/understand her being let go early. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I feel for you. Letting someone know they losing their job is never easy, even if it is glaringly obvious.

Yep, this.  Learned long ago that even if someone deserves being let go, when you sit down with them to let them know you're still talking to someone with a family, rent/mortgage, bills to pay.  I've never not lost sleep the night before and the night after that has had to happen... 

• Like 5

My wife is a VP in Human resource and if someone is let go she is always in the meeting, not her favorite thing to do. The only good thing is they almost always give them a very generous package, there is also security if they think it’s necessary. I am sure she will retire within next two years. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

Yep, this.  Learned long ago that even if someone deserves being let go, when you sit down with them to let them know you're still talking to someone with a family, rent/mortgage, bills to pay.  I've never not lost sleep the night before and the night after that has had to happen... 

Definitely not a part of my job that I like or want to do.   Unfortunately, she has been on the watch list for the last couple of months and today she totally dis-respected her immediate supervisor and put a new hire in a poor situation.   We had given her every opportunity in the last couple of months to improve on her faults with no success.  Today was the last straw when her Supervisor came and told me what she did.  

But still sad for her as I know she tells everyone how she lives paycheck to paycheck.

I hope she finds a job that is more suited for her.

• Like 7

LOL. Bill went to the Tulare Ag Show with our neighbor and another friend. https://www.worldagexpo.com/   It is probably something *I* would have been more interested in, but it is a guy trip. And he really has no interest in Agriculture, other than my former career. ☺️ And Yee-haw, tonight they are going to the tractor pulls! 😄 So Bobby the cat, and I have the whole night to ourselves. ☺️

• Like 9

1 hour ago, George C said:

there is also security if they think it’s necessary.

I had security on stand by as 4 guys were just doing a shift change at 4 pm.  She was okay in my office but once I followed her to her desk I gave the sign to 2 of the guys to keep an eye on us (we have video cameras every where) that is when she starting screaming and hollering at her Supervisor and another person.  She is normally a soft spoken sweet girl and is probably why we gave her so many chances to improve.  But today we all saw another side of her.   So sad.   I'm sure she is going through a lot of emotions tonight as I know I am.

• Like 9

I had security on stand by as 4 guys were just doing a shift change at 4 pm.  She was okay in my office but once I followed her to her desk I gave the sign to 2 of the guys to keep an eye on us (we have video cameras every where) that is when she starting screaming and hollering at her Supervisor and another person.  She is normally a soft spoken sweet girl and is probably why we gave her so many chances to improve.  But today we all saw another side of her.   So sad.   I'm sure she is going through a lot of emotions tonight as I know I am.

I think I might have mentioned this , but the company my wife works has several offices in the area , some people are scared when they see her assuming she is there to terminate someone. She called one of her direct reports into her office, person thought she was getting terminated, she was getting a large raise and bonus. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 2/14/2023 at 9:23 PM, HBE4 said:

Rant over, spring training is just around the corner and hockey playoffs in less than 2 months!

Man, there is NOTHING like playoff hockey!

I was on Explorer last spring, and I spent many an evening on the couch in The Tavern watching playoff hockey on the big screen tv.  Met a lot of Canadians that way! 

As a longtime Red Wings fan, I didn't have a pony in the race, but I still watched hockey every chance I could get.  And as a longtime goalie parent, I chose which team to cheer for based on the style of play of their goaltender.  (The goalie I picked won the whole thing... and anyone who knows anything about NHL rivalries knows that a Red Wings fan would NEVER choose to cheer for Colorado -- unless that Red Wings fan knows a thing or two about goaltending!  LOL)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm finally back to work... thankfully.  I've been bored to tears for the last five days and it's starting to get expensive.  Online shopping and YouTube have been my only entertainment.  There has been a tab open on my browser to my cruise planner for days now.  I'm shocked I haven't booked another cruise, just more excursions and spa treatments so far.  And last night the algorithm at Youtube decided I needed cat videos.

You know you've reached the end of the line when that is all that is left.

Amazing what a difference 10 hours makes to this statement.😇

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

In some  exciting news (to us anyway), we’ve put a hold on a 9 night Med cruise on the Celebrity Reflection. Here’s the itinerary: 

26DC21A1-C5EE-4281-AF3A-85C447CAD70C.thumb.jpeg.66387800bc6778701cfe3bf0f073173f.jpeg

This will be a belated celebration of our 35th anniversary which is coming up this weekend.  Our first time on Celebrity, first Med cruise and Andy’s first time in Europe.  I lived in Germany for 3 years in the early 60’s when my Dad was stationed there with the Army.  We visited several countries when he had time off and it’s foggy, but I do have some memories of Italy.  We’ll spend a few days in Barcelona pre-cruise and a few extra in Rome post cruise.  I’ve been scouring the Med Ports boards and I just ordered Rick Steves book on Med Cruise Ports from Amazon.  
@dani negreanuI see you contribute quite a bit on those boards, so I may have questions for you and I welcome any other advice or suggestions from those here who have cruised the Med.  

Sounds wonderful, especially the overnight in Livorno. We have a Med cruise on Symphony in May going to some of the same Ports. 

My DH's family was stationed in Germany with the Canadian Forces in the 60s and early 70s

• Like 3

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My friend Mike who is in his mid 80’s fell last night and hit his head .He was taken by ambulance to a hospital close to where he lives .His wife just called and said he is in the ICU.

Sending Mike our prayers 🙏 Lenny for his recovery.

Graham.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Definitely not a part of my job that I like or want to do.   Unfortunately, she has been on the watch list for the last couple of months and today she totally dis-respected her immediate supervisor and put a new hire in a poor situation.   We had given her every opportunity in the last couple of months to improve on her faults with no success.  Today was the last straw when her Supervisor came and told me what she did.  

But still sad for her as I know she tells everyone how she lives paycheck to paycheck.

I hope she finds a job that is more suited for her.

I've been in this position a couple of times and it's never fun.  I tell myself that I'm not only doing what's right for the company, I'm doing what's right for her co-workers (who shouldn't need to put up with her), AND I might even be doing what's right for her in the long run.  Maybe this will actually cause her to change.

• Like 8

17 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

In some  exciting news (to us anyway), we’ve put a hold on a 9 night Med cruise on the Celebrity Reflection. Here’s the itinerary: 

26DC21A1-C5EE-4281-AF3A-85C447CAD70C.thumb.jpeg.66387800bc6778701cfe3bf0f073173f.jpeg

This will be a belated celebration of our 35th anniversary which is coming up this weekend.  Our first time on Celebrity, first Med cruise and Andy’s first time in Europe.  I lived in Germany for 3 years in the early 60’s when my Dad was stationed there with the Army.  We visited several countries when he had time off and it’s foggy, but I do have some memories of Italy.  We’ll spend a few days in Barcelona pre-cruise and a few extra in Rome post cruise.  I’ve been scouring the Med Ports boards and I just ordered Rick Steves book on Med Cruise Ports from Amazon.  
@dani negreanuI see you contribute quite a bit on those boards, so I may have questions for you and I welcome any other advice or suggestions from those here who have cruised the Med.  

Congratulations on your 35th anniversary this weekend.  That looks like a nice trip to celebrate.

I think my favorite tour from Naples was visiting Mt. Vesuvius and Pompei. We visited several of those ports on a 14 day sailing from Southampton in 2019.  If you are interested in reading about any of the places we visited, I did a live report from that cruise.  I see you are like I was, trying to gather as much info before the trip.

Here is a link to that review.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2