Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

30 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

I usually only cruise out of FLL, it is an hour away from where I live. So, i have no plans.

I loved when I started to cruise that I lived in New York City very short taxi or car ride for cruises, didn’t consider leaving from any other port , now leaving from Dallas we fly to our port even in Galveston.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I can't tell you how many patients have come into the office scared out of their minds, needlessly, because they had access to results, even before I've seen them, and had no idea how to properly interpret what they are seeing. Sometime I need some time to digest results and figure out how I want to present the information. 

So what is stupid to the core to you is not to me.

I don’t panic anymore as I have learned that the doctors will interpret anything we don’t understand.  Sometimes the wording is so technical we don’t have a clue.  I admit when we first started getting results it was a bit daunting, now, not so much. Waiting forever for a call about the results is worse than not having them show up in the app.  

Edited by DaniDanielle
  • Like 8

@Arzeena My that Explorer cruise started the Saturday night the previous week when I woke up at midnight to use the toilet.  I fainted, fell on the toilet, and had 4 broken ribs, and a punctured lung. I got out of the ICU on Thursday, having received 2 units of blood.  Friday, i showed the doctors the path  we were going on, they not only said I would be OK, they gave us their cell phone numbers, and said if there was a problem, the ship Dr could call a any time.   On the way home, got a supply Percocet and a rollator walker. 

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Keksie said:

As promised the pictures of the wedding shawl.  I am a tad tired.  We have 130 give or take patients at the refuge and a batch of new interns.  I got there at 9 and left at 5:30 with a 15 min. lunch.  I feel old now.  Sigh.

Resized_20230817_163418.thumb.jpeg.987bb62d4b75b291c864deb7b7784a80.jpeg

Resized_20230817_163455.thumb.jpeg.d4d61dde9e1216084ef6183913747d31.jpeg

Just beautiful & thank you for all that you do for all the animals at the refuge.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

WhatsApp is "life saving" regarding "long distance" relationships. 

We're spoking or video chatting with our grandkids in an almost daily basis. No need to calculate how much it is costing you and how many minutes you can afford, like in the "bad old times" 😉

My dad still uses phone cards to call his sister in England.  Obviously they are still used by many because he has no problem buying them locally.  He would prefer to use modern tech but his sister only has a landline - no mobile.  no computer.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I forgot to post a pic of a couple of cuties that joined us swimming Friday!  With Finnley being in the 98 percentile for height, she might be taller then Kenzie next year!

IMG_6402.thumb.jpg.025cc42cf18b4394643adef4e4e35a59.jpg

Love seeing these two bathing beauties!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, George C said:

I loved when I started to cruise that I lived in New York City very short taxi or car ride for cruises, didn’t consider leaving from any other port , now leaving from Dallas we fly to our port even in Galveston.

True story, I have never driven to or parked at a port to go on a cruise.  In fact, our first , that was out of Palm Beach in the early 90's, and now that we live here again, we still use the same car service for our ride to the port. And airport  when flying.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

True, but not all doctors think the same. You have to think from the other point of view. Every doctor is different. Every patient is different and every circumstance is different.

Many professionals are trained to step into the patients' shoes, the patient who is going crazy that their report is not there because there is something bad.

Step into the patients' shoes? I'm hardly new to practicing medicine. I've been taking care of multi generations of families for years. I know well the stresses that patients go through. Opening a report at 9:00 at night with a positive cancer diagnosis does no one any good. This isn't a debate I going to have....

Fortunately, people who don't like how I practice have other choices.

• Like 16

4 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I forgot to post a pic of a couple of cuties that joined us swimming Friday!  With Finnley being in the 98 percentile for height, she might be taller then Kenzie next year!

IMG_6402.thumb.jpg.025cc42cf18b4394643adef4e4e35a59.jpg

OMG, they are sooo precious❣️. How young is Kenzie?

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

As promised the pictures of the wedding shawl.  I am a tad tired.  We have 130 give or take patients at the refuge and a batch of new interns.  I got there at 9 and left at 5:30 with a 15 min. lunch.  I feel old now.  Sigh.

So delicate!  Just beautiful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mo&fran said:

True story, I have never driven to or parked at a port to go on a cruise.  In fact, our first , that was out of Palm Beach in the early 90's, and now that we live here again, we still use the same car service for our ride to the port. And airport  when flying.  

I never even had a driver’s license in New York, when the company I worked for moved me to Dallas they paid for my training for my license and I moved to Dallas with a temporary driver’s licenses with a stamp saying it was real , I was almost surprised that hertz gave me a car and I was on a major freeway going to my hotel . I was in my early 30’s at the time. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, George C said:

I never even had a driver’s license in New York, when the company I worked for moved me to Dallas they paid for my training for my license and I moved to Dallas with a temporary driver’s licenses with a stamp saying it was real , I was almost surprised that hertz gave me a car and I was on a major freeway going to my hotel . I was in my early 30’s at the time. 

Driving in downtown Dallas is crazy confusing.  Lots of one way streets.  We got slightly lost when driving down to the Perot Science Museum.  Fabulous place, by the way, for both kids and grown ups.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

A little quick to be jumping on a physician don't you think?

Nope... just as with any other career, there are good ones and there are bad ones.  Same with nurses, teachers, cops, waitresses, or any other job.

IF he was on Lasix and IF the doc wasn't monitoring his K+, that's a red flag. 

Fortunately, that's not the case.  

Edited by brillohead

6 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I had to take those potassium horse pills for a while.  Had to cut them in half but that made swallowing them bitter.  Luckily, I don't need them anymore.

If you have to take them again in the future, PLEASE check with your pharmacist and physician about your options... most of the potassium pills I see prescribed are "extended release" pills, which should NOT be cut in half or chewed.  

I had a patient the other day who couldn't swallow the football-sized tablets, and I called our pharmacist who was able to switch it to capsules that I could open and sprinkle the powder onto spoonfuls of applesauce. It took twice as many capsules as it did tablets to achieve the same dose, and the patient was stuffed full of applesauce by the time we got through them all, but she was at least able to get it all down the hatch.

I have a swallowing disorder, and when I was pregnant with my son, my midwife was able to prescribe a prenatal vitamin that came in two smaller pills that I could take one at a time instead of a single horsepill that I would struggle with. 

Pharmacists are an incredible resource, but I find that many people see them just as "pill counters / dispensers" and don't realize how extensive their knowledge is about all things pharmacological.  

Edited by brillohead
added info
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, NHProud said:

I always look at what they write about me . The next to last time she wrote alert and pleasant .  Always alert !  Yesterday’s eye scan was just a bunch of numbers but I did get him to let me look at the scan . 

We like "alert" a lot more than "lethargic" or "comatose"! 

I had a chuckle this week when switching from Emergency to Acute Care (inpatient).  The computer program is the same in both departments, but the screens we have for charting and the options available on those screens are different.  

We have checkboxes for things like anxious, cooperative, impulsive, restless, angry, etc.  On the inpatient side of things, "pleasant" is an option to select, but it wasn't even listed on the same screen for the emergency department -- I guess they don't expect anyone to be pleasant in the ER!  LOL

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Driving in downtown Dallas is crazy confusing.  Lots of one way streets.  We got slightly lost when driving down to the Perot Science Museum.  Fabulous place, by the way, for both kids and grown ups.  

My wife works for a Perot family business and they had a private Christmas party when it opened , agree place is fantastic. I was very lucky to meet Mr Perot and shake his had a few times he was a remarkable gentleman, he was extremely generous to military veterans. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

We go at least once a year with the grands.  They love it! 

I used to drive by there everyday on my way to work.  Traffic in Dallas is ….I’m so glad my commute is done. I’d be stressed out every day before I even got to work.  I got hit by a dump truck once on my way in. He just came right over into my lane on a rainy dark morning.  The initial damage wasn’t too bad but it could never be fixed right and I had to trade the car in.  It was a computer issue that even the Toyota engineers couldn’t figure out and fix. New car got rear ended twice on the way home from work.  I was always just shook up, no injuries so very fortunate.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

We like "alert" a lot more than "lethargic" or "comatose"! 

I had a chuckle this week when switching from Emergency to Acute Care (inpatient).  The computer program is the same in both departments, but the screens we have for charting and the options available on those screens are different.  

We have checkboxes for things like anxious, cooperative, impulsive, restless, angry, etc.  On the inpatient side of things, "pleasant" is an option to select, but it wasn't even listed on the same screen for the emergency department -- I guess they don't expect anyone to be pleasant in the ER!  LOL

There should be a box to check for the staff who work in the ER.  Definitely heroes ! 

Wishing you much happiness in your new department 🩺

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Keksie said:

Wow!! What a beautiful shawl with such an intricate design! You are very talented!!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, I have a lot of catching up to do.  I can’t believe how many pages there are from yesterday.

@Sea Dog Greg, sorry to read about your episode, but glad you got checked out.

I can’t believe how many here are on blood pressure meds, with talks about highs and lows.  I had to start a couple meds last spring, but had to go off one due to side effects.  I don’t have another appointment with my cardiologist until the end of October, so maybe I am being a little crazy in taking and recording blood pressure readings a couple times a day.  Yes, I have spreadsheets that have the time of day of the readings, along with pulse rate,  I can tell you what the highs and lows were for each month, as well as the averages.  I know the doctor will take one look at all the data, and will probably throw it away.

I guess I don’t know why bp fluctuates so much, so that will be one of my questions at my appointment. 

• Like 8

12 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

My retired friend started going to Aqua Aerobics a few years ago.  Everyone in the classes got on so well, they started walking together once a week, then the Aqua teacher suggested a holiday together as a group. They first went to Sri Lanka.  It was a success, so the following year they went to Greece.  That was a success and this year they are in Croatia.  They continue to do Aqua, walks, and now group visits to Art Galleries etc between yearly holidays.

Sounds fabulous. My gym has a club within a club for over '60s, called The Invincibles. They have additional low impact classes just for them and meet up for theatre trips and outings. They also organise holidays away. 

They are very lively bunch, full of fun.  Apparently once you hit 90 the gym is free !!

• Like 7