Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

24 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

My childhood dentist used to give us a choice of lollipops,  gum or tootsie rolls. Not the healthiest choices and looking back, it seems he wanted to ensure a steady stream of repeat customers.

My childhood dentist was awful!  When I was around 4 years old, he hurt me, and I guess I must have bit him;  he smacked me in the face.🤐  I really hated going to him. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

My daughter was invited to a teen concert to hear Pink and other singers.  My daughter, her friend and her friend's mother were able to attend the after party and meet the entertainers.  My daughter said Pink and other entertainers were wonderful but Whitney Houston made an appearance and she was either high, drunk or both.  Major disappointment and an eye opener for such young and impressionable girls....sigh.

That’s the memory that will stay with her. 
After seeing Judy Garland like that, I always think of her as a sad woman trying to keep going. 
Hopefully that isn’t really true. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I keep thinking of our NY dentist.  After being a patient for approx. 20 years I was devastated when he retired.  He sent out a beautiful letter stating how he retires with a heavy heart since he thinks of us as family.  He went on to say it was his pleasure to celebrate in our happiness and sad to share in our sorrows.  He stated he felt he wanted to enjoy retirement in CA with his wife and be near his daughter and family while they were able to enjoy good health. He further went on to introduce us to the new dentist that would be taking over his practice telling us he is confident he leaves us in good hands.  It was a letter written with heart and I am only sorry I misplaced it with our subsequent moves.  I never stepped foot in that office after he left.  

His practice was what I called "a mom and pop" office.  No partner, although he had back up for emergencies when he wasn't available.  No hygienist.  He did all the work.  His wife was the receptionist.  His equipment looked a bit old.  BUT, i never once had issues with any of his dental work.  

I have a good dentist now but can't compare.  Glad I only see him about once a year.

I thought I had replied to this post but apparently it got lost in CC Vapor-ware.

For a minute, I thought we might have shared the same dentist since we both lived in Rockland County at one point.  We didn't, but my guy - I'll call him Dr. G - was very similar to yours.  Except that he was part of a 2 person practice that he operated with his business partner for 30+ years. Probably had the same staff of assistants, hygienists, office personal for  most of the time as well so it was like one big happy family. He was conservative in his approach - don't fix something unless its broke - which I appreciated and he had a great sense of humor, if you like Jay Leno-type humor.

Anyways, when he retired, he wrote the same type of letter and even though he wanted to retire early to spend time with his family, he delayed it by a year. The reason is he and his business partner spent the better part of a year interviewing his replacement to ensure they would be a compatible fit with the staff, his partner and his patients.  Sure enough, his replacement - I'll call her Dr. H - has the same conservative approach, sense of humor and personality as he does. Basically she is a female version of him, albeit easier on the eyes. Which is why when they offered to transfer my records to someone closer to home (I had moved out of Rockland Co. by this point), I continued to make the 1+ hour drive.  That's the kind of dedication he and his staff had to their patients.

Not exactly convenient but they are worth the trip. As you mention in another post, when you find a good one, you gotta hold on to them.  Prior to finding this practice, I went thru a string of so-so dentist that seemed to be causing more harm than good or always trying to find something "wrong" to fix so I'm not exactly to eager to find a new one.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Amazing to have such control to be able to perform like that. 1982 was about 25 years after our evening with him. He was fantastic in the 50’s, and obviously aging did not affect his talent. 

Sir Tom Jones' voice is still powerful.

Tony Bennett's voice is amazing at 95 which was a recent topic in here.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I thought I had replied to this post but apparently it got lost in CC Vapor-ware.

For a minute, I thought we might have shared the same dentist since we both lived in Rockland County at one point.  We didn't, but my guy - I'll call him Dr. G - was very similar to yours.  Except that he was part of a 2 person practice that he operated with his business partner for 30+ years. Probably had the same staff of assistants, hygienists, office personal for  most of the time as well so it was like one big happy family. He was conservative in his approach - don't fix something unless its broke - which I appreciated and he had a great sense of humor, if you like Jay Leno-type humor.

Anyways, when he retired, he wrote the same type of letter and even though he wanted to retire early to spend time with his family, he delayed it by a year. The reason is he and his business partner spent the better part of a year interviewing his replacement to ensure they would be a compatible fit with the staff, his partner and his patients.  Sure enough, his replacement - I'll call her Dr. H - has the same conservative approach, sense of humor and personality as he does. Basically she is a female version of him, albeit easier on the eyes. Which is why when they offered to transfer my records to someone closer to home (I had moved out of Rockland Co. by this point), I continued to make the 1+ hour drive.  That's the kind of dedication he and his staff had to their patients.

Not exactly convenient but they are worth the trip. As you mention in another post, when you find a good one, you gotta hold on to them.  Prior to finding this practice, I went thru a string of so-so dentist that seemed to be causing more harm than good or always trying to find something "wrong" to fix so I'm not exactly to eager to find a new one.

My dentist was Dr. R., in Blauvelt on Western Highway.  Both my husband and I used the medical practice in the same building. Where was yours?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Sir Tom Jones' voice is still powerful.

Tony Bennett's voice is amazing at 95 which was a recent topic in here.

Love both of them , have seen Tony Bennett several times since the 1960’s , another one is Frankie Valli in his upper 80’s still has a great voice. One of our favorite singers in Dallas is in his 80’s and has been singing and playing the piano here for over 60 years.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, George C said:

We used to just show up ten mins before show to get great seats now if you want good seats you need to get there 39 or 40 mins before start.

Wow, that is getting pretty exact (39 or 40 minutes)!!🤣🤣

Sorry, couldn’t resist. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I used to have some really good hiding spots when the kids were young.    I used to put stuff above the ceiling tiles in the basement near the workshop area.    They recently told me they never knew that spot.

My hiding spot for presents was in our boat.  It was always in the garage with the cover on it, and you could fit everything in there. The kids never thought to look there when they were growing up. 

The only time I thought they might have heard us getting presents from there, was the one year we had bikes in there. As I was lifting the bike over the side of the boat to set it on the garage floor, I leaned over the edge too far, and followed it down head first. I thought the noise would have woke them up. 

Come to think of it, I think that was the year my son says her heard Santa and his sleigh on the roof. 😂

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Anyone else watch the live versions of Facts of Life and Different Strokes last night?  It was interesting seeing who they chose to play various parts.  While the live versions of the shows didn't do much for us overall, it was very impressive watching 99 year old Norman Lear stand to greet the audience like he was 50.  I did enjoy Kevin Hart's (playing Arnold) ending line where he asked Willis if he thought that his friend Vernon (played by Snoop Dogg) smelled like weed. 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

My dentist was Dr. R., in Blauvelt on Western Highway.  Both my husband and I used the medical practice in the same building. Where was yours?

South Little Tor Road in New City, just down the road from Cropsey Farm Stand

Edited by HBE4

43 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Anyone else watch the live versions of Facts of Life and Different Strokes last night?  It was interesting seeing who they chose to play various parts.  While the live versions of the shows didn't do much for us overall, it was very impressive watching 99 year old Norman Lear stand to greet the audience like he was 50.  I did enjoy Kevin Hart's (playing Arnold) ending line where he asked Willis if he thought that his friend Vernon (played by Snoop Dogg) smelled like weed. 🤣

I started to watch but I didn't like the Facts of Life version and switched to something else.  I thought the portrayal of Jo was way off.  She was never that angry.  Jennifer Aniston as Blair wasn't great either.

I did tape it and watched a little bit of Different Strokes and that seemed much better!  I am going to wait and watch it with my DH.  From the little I saw, I think he will like it better than the little of Facts Of Life we saw last night.

@island lady  I just got a call from SS.  I was surprised it was approved already.  First payment in March.  She gave me the option to start it in Nov and get the first check this month.  It was kind of funny talking to her.  It sound like she called to explain I didn’t have to wait.  I was trying to explain that I based my decision on the amount I will receive annually. She said, we only pay monthly not annually.  I told her I understand then she said but you won’t get that amount next year (9 months.). I tried to explain what annually meant, monthly payment x 12, but saw it was going over her head so I finally said that I was comfortable with getting my first payment in March.  😂   If I remember correctly the approval took only about two weeks. I think it went quickly since I have already been approved for Medicare. Thanks again for your input.  All went smooth…….. so far.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

My hiding spot for presents was in our boat.  It was always in the garage with the cover on it, and you could fit everything in there. The kids never thought to look there when they were growing up. 

The only time I thought they might have heard us getting presents from there, was the one year we had bikes in there. As I was lifting the bike over the side of the boat to set it on the garage floor, I leaned over the edge too far, and followed it down head first. I thought the noise would have woke them up. 

Come to think of it, I think that was the year my son says her heard Santa and his sleigh on the roof. 😂

That is a great spot to hide presents.  I hope you didnt get hurt when you fell out.

That's cute they heard Santa🤩

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luckynana said:

My childhood dentist was awful!  When I was around 4 years old, he hurt me, and I guess I must have bit him;  he smacked me in the face.🤐  I really hated going to him. 

That's horrible and traumatic.  You have probably hated going to a dentist ever since that happened.😥

• Like 2

Hiding of Christmas reminds me of a story.

Several years a good friend had boxed up and put into large black garage bags various presents for her children then hid them in her parents garage. Kids wouldnt think of looking there when visiting grandparents.

When she went the day before Christmas to pick up everything it was all gone.  Her Father saw the bags and thought it was trash and threw everything out.  Her Dad felt horrible and they ran out to the stores to buy whatever last minute items they could.  All was fine.🎄

• Like 8

Our trip to Erie turned in to an overnight getaway. We had an idea it would turn in to a long day, so we packed an overnight bag before we left. 

While Susan took her sister to the doctor, (she has been off work for 8 weeks now) I kept busy with other things around her house.  Shoveled the snow from her driveway and installed markers along the edge of the drive while they were gone. Then, her new iPhone 13 was delivered, so I got the task of transferring everything from her old phone to the new one.  While there, we bought her a new printer, and I got it set up to print from her laptop and from her new phone.  For some reason, I am the one that everyone in the family turns to for tech related issues.  

So instead of a late night drive home, we had the hotel pool and hot tub all to ourselves.  I guess not many people vacation during the week in Erie, during the winter. 

Since we were staying next to Cracker Barrel, that was our choice for breakfast. When I walked in the door, and saw they had a cinnamon pie breakfast special, I knew my order.  It not only American with eggs, but with bacon and hash browns too. 

34C3DC9C-A0ED-4F36-AFD5-F600FF63A85E.thumb.jpeg.9b276da267da14f03111e68e003a21af.jpeg

Oh my, it was delicious.  I was so tempted to buy an entire pie. 😀😀

• Like 14

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

Jennifer Aniston as Blair wasn't great either.

Agreed.  Blair had a rich snootiness to her that Aniston didn't really capture.  The woman who played Mrs. Garrett though was spot on, including the wobbling of her voice.  I thought it may have been the same original actor (Charlotte Rae), but I found out that she passed away in 2018 at 92.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I know some people really like Lee but I think he has a very flat affect this season. He doesn't seem like he would be a blast to invite to dinner. Rachel has not had a drunken melt down... yet. And what is it about the third stu position, it is always the same scenario. They always under perform and struggle with whether or not to quit.

Cap Lee is just off this season. Must have something to do with the reason he was late in joining the team. It must weigh heavily on him. And his son's suicide is still relatively new.

It must be in the contract to act incompetent. I don't think any of the chief says or 3rd stus have been real workers. Heather seems a little pompous. 

• Like 3

On 12/6/2021 at 8:04 PM, Sea Dog said:

Exciting day receiving my final Emmy award. A nice end cap for a long career. It never gets old. I am honored and humbled to work with so many talented people. To be recognized by my peers means a lot. I am feeling very blessed tonight.

IMG_7491.thumb.jpg.2d9213ad6ad60a6ad557ae7c7ab629f7.jpg

Congratulations again. Maybe some day we will meet and then I can say I know 2 people who have won Emmy and Grammy awards. The other person I know is Vance Powell who has won 6 Grammy awards. His is music related. You will need to take a picture of all of them together and post it. I’m sure it’s a pretty sight. 🏆

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HBE4 said:

My childhood dentist used to give us a choice of lollipops,  gum or tootsie rolls. Not the healthiest choices and looking back, it seems he wanted to ensure a steady stream of repeat customers.

My childhood dentist was the father of a kid I knew from school.He urged his son to tell his classmates that his father gives bubble gum.There was no such thing as dental insurance so he used his son as a referral.

• Like 2