Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

53 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It has been raining heavily here for hours and is 46°F.

It would have been my late mam's 93rd birthday today.

I hope everyone is well and looking forward to a great weekend.

She shares a birthdate with my late grandmother, who was born 117 years ago in 1906.  

One nice thing I like about one of the ancestry sites, I have used for a lot of research, is they have a calendar with all the relatives significant dates (birth, marriage, death).

• Like 5

6 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Binge watched HALF of The Diplomat with Keri Russell last night (no spoilers please).  Having watched & enjoyed The Americans, I am enjoying this new Netflix series.  Keri Russell’s character very reluctantly posted to London as the American Ambassador with Rufus Sewell as her ex-diplomat husband, joining her and causing a stir.

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

We have made it through 4 episodes, over the last couple nights. 

I guess I'll have to watch it now to see what IMDB means by this...

image.png.bef51a6e7a70acdf539577214881a609.png

😆

dp

• Haha 12

13 minutes ago, dpostman said:

I guess I'll have to watch it now to see what IMDB means by this...

image.png.bef51a6e7a70acdf539577214881a609.png

😆

dp

I guess so.  

My 10 YO grandson in California just got home from a week long school camp in the wild.  He hadn’t showered in 3 days.  His parents said they probably now knew what homeless people smelled like. 

oops, maybe that was a spoiler alert. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I played for five years in high school and then went on to play senior mens after that.  In my late 30's the body started breaking down and I stopped playing.  I reffed for a few years but was still very connected to my local club. When I turned 40 I got talked into joining the "Classics" 40+ side at the club. Still physical but a little less intensity. I also coached high school for the last 6 years before we moved. Both boys sides as well as girls sides.  I think I loved coaching more than playing.  Rugby is a unique sport. I don't know of any other that creates such a unique sense of community.  Ferocious competitors doing real bodily harm to one another will immediately share a clubhouse and drink beer together minutes after the referee blow the full time whistle. Any and all animosity is left on the pitch. I once had an English friend explain it to me this way.  "Football (soccer) is a gentleman's game played by hooligans, Rugby is a hooligan sport played by gentlemen."  I liked that analogy. 😉 

I have stumbled across small clubs in city's all across the US while working in various places and upon showing up pitch side on game day embraced like long lost family member.  It's really hard to put into words how unique the camaraderie and brotherhood is.

As for Owen being slotted in at Fly Half... he must be a tremendous athlete and athletically intelligent.  Fly half is a pivotal position and to put him there as a first year player is surprising.  For those not familiar with Rugby, Fly-half would be to Rugby what Quarterback is football.  

I played a lot of years at Fullback.  Some in the centres and then near the end, when my speed started to fail me, at flanker.

I really I hope he enjoys the experience.  It is a sport that can last you a lifetime.

@Tree_skier thank-you for the compliments about Owen and his sporting skills. One of his coaches is an Ontario Federation Rugby coach (title might be wrong by me) and has been giving Owen some extra guidance along the journey. We thought he would have passed on the high school soccer team this year and tried out for the baseball team, but he surprised us with rugby. 

I read you post to Owen and he was very impressed how the sport has followed you through your life. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Binge watched HALF of The Diplomat with Keri Russell last night (no spoilers please).  Having watched & enjoyed The Americans, I am enjoying this new Netflix series.  Keri Russell’s character very reluctantly posted to London as the American Ambassador with Rufus Sewell as her ex-diplomat husband, joining her and causing a stir.

It's on my list to watch, might give it a go tonight. 

Coincidentally there is another series called The Diplomat which was released about 2 months ago here.   About a British consulate in Barcelona with themes of crime and terrorism.  Its very good if you get the chance to watch it.  

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt17001504/

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I guess so.  

My 10 YO grandson in California just got home from a week long school camp in the wild.  He hadn’t showered in 3 days.  His parents said they probably now knew what homeless people smelled like. 

oops, maybe that was a spoiler alert. 

I remember my daughter going off to a 10 day  Scout camp.  She wore brand new white sneakers.  One of the Scout leaders from another group  told me after camp that she took one look at the sneakers and thought to herself, oh no, we have a little Princess here…

She soon discovered that my daughter would participate in absolutely everything and deliberately wore those sneakers for a  before and after photo.

Hope your grandson had a great time at camp and I feel for the camp moms unpacking the bags after camp.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It has been raining heavily here for hours and is 46°F.

It would have been my late mam's 93rd birthday today.

I hope everyone is well and looking forward to a great weekend.

We took a picnic to the beach.

It is still raining but we have a nice view of the sea like sitting on our ship balcony.

IMG_20230422_135312.jpg

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I remember my daughter going off to a 10 day  Scout camp.  She wore brand new white sneakers.  One of the Scout leaders from another group  told me after camp that she took one look at the sneakers and thought to herself, oh no, we have a little Princess here…

She soon discovered that my daughter would participate in absolutely everything and deliberately wore those sneakers for a  before and after photo.

Hope your grandson had a great time at camp and I feel for the camp moms unpacking the bags after camp.

My younger son went to a week long soccer camp each summer.  That was over 20 years ago and I still remember the smell when I pulled his socks out of his bag!!!  They went into a separate wash load.  The shirts and shorts were bad enough, but the socks….

• Haha 5

15 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Sorry.  In our family we can recite Monty Python in our sleep.

"I flash my private parts at your favorite Auntie" is said routinely in this house.

Especially when on the losing side of an argument.  

11 hours ago, George C said:

One of the funniest broadway plays we ever saw was Spamalot, wife has a T-shirt from the play “ I am not dead yet “

Agreed. I don't think I ever laughed so hard. David Hyde Pierce (Niles from Frasier) was hilarious.  

I wanted to see it a 2nd time, a rarity for me since there are so many plays, but it had just closed a few weeks earlier. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, George C said:

One of the funniest broadway plays we ever saw was Spamalot, wife has a T-shirt from the play “ I am not dead yet “

We went to Chicago for NY eve and saw Spamalot before it opened on Broadway sometime back in the 2000s

8 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

How could you reach your age and not have seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail?😂

I know!

It is just one of those classics everyone should have in their library.  

Along with………

IMG_7083.thumb.jpeg.881e65dc810def535d31ec3b4c17e667.jpeg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, h20skibum said:

That is one of our eastern garter snakes.  They are harmless.

I found this one laying in one of my raised beds.  A couple of days earlier it was around Sharon's flowers and got a good reaction when she walked up on it.

image.thumb.png.23e03f6f6651c4d200ed8c19eaad48b9.png

image.thumb.png.a1eee8f01f8e2dd5040ce8c89530e419.png

And the flowers Sharon was checking when she saw the snake.

image.thumb.png.f3ff85101cb807dd386e1b7348d725f7.png

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I found this one laying in one of my raised beds.  A couple of days earlier it was around Sharon's flowers and got a good reaction when she walked up on it.

Is that one a black rat snake or a racer?

1 hour ago, ATG said:

My younger son went to a week long soccer camp each summer.  That was over 20 years ago and I still remember the smell when I pulled his socks out of his bag!!!  They went into a separate wash load.  The shirts and shorts were bad enough, but the socks….

Talking about camps, we didn’t really have them over here until fairly recently. But my brother went to Scout camp in the Malayan jungle, age about 10 (we lived in Singapore), went to put his cap on and found a scorpion in it. I remember he came home absolutely filthy 

• Like 2

On 4/20/2023 at 2:58 PM, grapau27 said:

Thank you Bonnie.

Do your exercises and be vigilant about where you put your feet. You do not want to fall and make that hip worse. 
And make sure your calcium levels are good. 
I found hip replacement to have the easiest recovery of any of my surgeries. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2023 at 5:55 PM, grapau27 said:

Thank you Greg.

I was told that they do not use a General anaesthetic now which I was wary of with my heart medication instead they inject an epidural in your back.

Graham.

I had an epidural for mine. No problems. I woke up on my back with a large piece of foam rubber keeping my knees separated. 
Rehab was painless, compared to my knee replacement. Hope that’s true for everyone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1