Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Dani

When the vaccine first became available, I was very leery about getting it.  Following news stories I did see that parts of Europe were able to obtain it very quickly, while here state side we had to wait for FDA approval.

Takes forever.

I was conceived as the Thalidomide fiasco was happening.

I thank God daily that my mother had enough sense to not consume any medicine at that time.

Now, the present.

I wonder if the FDA waited to see the outcomes of Israel and other countries before granting FDA approval.

However, none of us could possibly predict the long range effects in years to come.

The bottom  line for me is I do not want to die from this virus.

I obtained the Moderna, and happy I did.

I can only live each day till the fullest and pray that all have the opportunity to gain access to the vaccine to promote a safe environment.

Enough said.

Stay healthy

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Happy to hear you got first dose and all went well.  I had no issues with either dose, other than minor sore arm.  

Eric felt like he had a hangover on 2nd dose but was all better 2 days later.

This was the second dose.

I should have clarified.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

No need to apologize. Sadly,  I can relate, oh to well, to the mental health challenges this has caused.  I'm not going to comment on Ottawa's response.  I'm sure most can guess my thoughts.  It is great news about the LTC homes.  Hopefully soon, vaccine distribution ramps up and you can get ahead of this.

I only wonder how “good” it could have been had we had vaccines available mid-December had we ordered earlier than late August. We have 400% more doses order than we need for our country and they just trickle in.  It’s easy to find the negative and I always try to see the positive but some days sure are tough.  

31 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Venting is our "middle" name here.... You're exactly where you should be, Andrew.

I know, I just have always tried to politely try to curb the posts when they head that way. I feel more than a little hypocritical.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I know, I just have always tried to politely try to curb the posts when they head that way. I feel a little hypocritical.

Some of us are more verbal than others....

I'm getting "likes" on my photos, for example, from folks who never post.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Thanks.  It is what it is.

This round is hitting the non vaccinated that were “safe” in the last wave. In following provincial out breaks in LTC, between residents and staff, there is a drastic reduction at this point in cases (knocking on wood while typing).

As of today there are currently 44 homes in outbreak with 9 resident cases in all of Ontario. 40 of those homes have no resident cases, with a further 103 active staff cases through the 44. That translates to 4 homes with 9 resident cases. Even though all residents and staff have not taken the vaccine it appears to have had a very positive effect on top of the health protocols.  Many staff at this point have only had one shot, but residents are allowed to get both even with the new delay of 4 months between needles for everyone else in the province. As a comparison, when daily cases in Ontario were this high in December/January there were 240+ homes in outbreak with cases beyond belief with residents and staff. At this point the reduction of cases is evident in LTC, even if everyone hasn’t been vaccinated for whatever reason.  

Had we had vaccines to give in Canada like many other countries, it could have been a race against the variant.  Unfortunately our national leadership started the procurement process too late last year and we are now behind the 8 ball. The delay in ordering the vaccines because of our “partnership” with China to develop a vaccine last year was a total cluster. Ottawa put most of the eggs in one basket, and then it fell through when we could have ordered vaccines well in advance of that. They could have done both, to save face for the Micheals and to save the residents of Canada. We see today how that turned out. That being said, hopefully the reported dose amounts from drug companies actually arrive as reported and many can be given during this shutdown.

I’m just trying to see a positive within all of this, because I need it. You can relate with the mental health aspect and the last year my mental health has been rough being involved in LTC. 

Edit: I want to apologize for such a long winded post about Covid in Canada. We here often vent about our days and it has taken a year for me to let this one out. Sorry again for this release of CV19 and Canadian factors relating to vaccinations.

Very interesting. Glad you shared about what is happening in Canada. No worries about long post. 

Better than many others.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

I wonder if the FDA waited to see the outcomes of Israel and other countries before granting FDA approval.

However, none of us could possibly predict the long range effects in years to come.

The bottom  line for me is I do not want to die from this virus.

Sue,

I don't want to write too much about vaccines, but I'm following daily some experts and will just give the "gist" of it, as you so succinctly summarized it in yellow above...

A well respected Prof in the best hospital here, in charge of Covid, said yesterday [mostly in regard to Pfizer's announcement that the vaccine is safe for 12-15 years old]: "the risks of getting COVID are much much worse".

Dani, your thread was an instant hit. I went back to the beginning and saw there were 80 posts the first day, and it has averaged about 30 per day ever since.  It has been a great way to feel connected to the outside world even while staying home.  I never dreamed the isolation would last so long.  Thanks for giving us a great place to hang out.

By the way, on day 1 of the thread, John posted his recipe for Ruby Relaxer.  I felt compelled to mix up a batch for this evening.

20210402_132045.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

This is three of our six grandkids.  That little one is a piece of work🤪

I can tell by the grin, she's the one to be watched.   

I am the baby of my family and was always the trouble maker.    My older Brother just reminded me on the phone the other day how I used to punch him in the arm all the time, sometimes just to annoy him.    Sorry 😞  I don't remember but clearly he does.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DaniDanielle said:

This is probably our 47th Bunny Cake, had nothing to decorate with, bad planning🥴9E4359BD-2171-4947-88B2-095101346A15.thumb.jpeg.8d2897de723161e91f40c9a973dd7ccd.jpeg

I can't tell you how many years my Mom made me one of those for my birthday.  Ours was always covered in coconut and had red licorice whiskers (since I hate black licorice 🙂).

• Like 1

More progress on the new house today.  We had a remodeling/handyman recommended to us and he replaced our cheap/noisy/underpowered master bath exhaust fan, and replaced the heavy chandelier in our front foyer.  VERY satisfied with his work.  He's x-military, as are a lot of people around here, and it shows.  Very professional and thorough.

Here's the chandelier that was in our front foyer.  It's dark and gothic looking.  Not what we want.

1884227715_FoyerBefore.thumb.jpg.d59808ee4aa611ffc40a544819342514.jpg

And here's the new version.  Much "lighter and airier".

1288989688_FoyerAfter.thumb.jpg.0701db254e4706c1d773f94e31840596.jpg

Our dining room chandelier was similarly dark but was covered in a lot of crystals.  We took care of this one ourselves.  We meticulously removed all of the crystals, masked off the glass parts in the center, and then spray painted it a brushed nickel to match the rest of the house.  Here's the dining room chandelier before we did anything.

1204940987_DiningBefore.thumb.jpg.ac4923c3ded2403e9f4d0fc589f8f505.jpg

Here it is with everything removed ready to be masked and then painted

1931474097_DiningSpider.thumb.jpg.666f1ff09e7dacce6853a5c686c5c90e.jpg

And here's the final version.

576624586_DiningAfter.thumb.jpg.a65555e034f5dba94ce42c81eb66eb37.jpg

I looked up the model number when we were done and found that it's a $2000 chandelier from Swarovski crystal.  YIKES.  If we had known that before, we probably would not have spray painted it.  Oh well, we are very pleased with how it turned out.  Dramatic improvement to the dining room (that still has no furniture).

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

No need to apologize. Sadly,  I can relate, oh to well, to the mental health challenges this has caused.  I'm not going to comment on Ottawa's response.  I'm sure most can guess my thoughts.  It is great news about the LTC homes.  Hopefully soon, vaccine distribution ramps up and you can get ahead of this.

55 and up just got the go ahead starting this weekend in Ontario.  I should be getting mine this week. 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

More progress on the new house today.  We had a remodeling/handyman recommended to us and he replaced our cheap/noisy/underpowered master bath exhaust fan, and replaced the heavy chandelier in our front foyer.  VERY satisfied with his work.  He's x-military, as are a lot of people around here, and it shows.  Very professional and thorough.

Here's the chandelier that was in our front foyer.  It's dark and gothic looking.  Not what we want.

1884227715_FoyerBefore.thumb.jpg.d59808ee4aa611ffc40a544819342514.jpg

And here's the new version.  Much "lighter and airier".

1288989688_FoyerAfter.thumb.jpg.0701db254e4706c1d773f94e31840596.jpg

Our dining room chandelier was similarly dark but was covered in a lot of crystals.  We took care of this one ourselves.  We meticulously removed all of the crystals, masked off the glass parts in the center, and then spray painted it a brushed nickel to match the rest of the house.  Here's the dining room chandelier before we did anything.

1204940987_DiningBefore.thumb.jpg.ac4923c3ded2403e9f4d0fc589f8f505.jpg

Here it is with everything removed ready to be masked and then painted

1931474097_DiningSpider.thumb.jpg.666f1ff09e7dacce6853a5c686c5c90e.jpg

And here's the final version.

576624586_DiningAfter.thumb.jpg.a65555e034f5dba94ce42c81eb66eb37.jpg

I looked up the model number when we were done and found that it's a $2000 chandelier from Swarovski crystal.  YIKES.  If we had known that before, we probably would not have spray painted it.  Oh well, we are very pleased with how it turned out.  Dramatic improvement to the dining room (that still has no furniture).

Beautiful job on updating the dining room Chandelier - All looks great!

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Thanks, sadly we are waiting 3-4 months for the second shot. 

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Likewise.

5 weeks gone Wednesday I had my first Pfizer jab and told 11-12 weeks for my second jab in England.

👎 [instead of "bummer", as wisely suggested by @HBE4]

• Like 3