Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

It's a nice sunny morning here 48°F.

We are eating our toasted jam muffins then we are going for a walk.

Afterwards we will call at a local garden centre.

Happy Easter everyone.

I hope you all have a lovely Good Friday.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I started to post about our day, away from the Pennsylvania snow yesterday, but something went wrong.  So trying again.  

Spent our day, exploring St. Marys, Georgia.  Here are a few pictures. 

C0BADB73-8C6F-43C1-BDD4-5C38C4410972.thumb.jpeg.6882acceb0733ecfea013927e3fb95ba.jpeg

Wandering around the Oak Grove Cemetery 

75DD074E-2023-4371-8CC1-8CBD6D45371C.thumb.jpeg.c30eb353c9c1ee31311b39bfe16bbeef.jpeg

I am not sure how the eerie light streak appeared here. 

734A0C18-92FF-4E7E-85D2-7A48E7C7B169.thumb.jpeg.641dc0abe28cea0216c2253128942f96.jpeg

A couple of the early 1800’s churches

12543BF2-A2E2-48E2-A0A3-F8340B420D8C.thumb.jpeg.31d04ac859d723c91f92d5ed21f7c52f.jpeg

8385085D-7B3D-4C17-AA8D-88CF21BFF4E2.thumb.jpeg.9387f1b3011bb6fd539416643c82f2a4.jpeg

Orange Hall mansion

B66F605C-C947-4210-B58D-300A43B15E28.thumb.jpeg.24c074de57b9766d5c2da845f58ba8c7.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Last Easter was just DH and I as we were all in lockdown mode.  This year we’ll have youngest DD, middle DD, SIL and two granddaughters, ages 2 and a 2 month old.  (Oldest DD, SIL & 3 grandsons who live in PA are down on Amelia Island for the week).  Very happy to be celebrating with our small family group this year.  Happy Easter everyone. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I started to post about our day, away from the Pennsylvania snow yesterday, but something went wrong.  So trying again.  

Spent our day, exploring St. Marys, Georgia.  Here are a few pictures. 

You were just across the river from us, about a 45 minute drive away.  St. Marys is on our list of places to visit.  Did you take the ferry to Cumberland Island?  Any idea if the Kings Bay sub base is open to visitors?

14 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Wishing you a very happy Easter too Dani.

In 30 minutes it will be April 2nd in the UK and the first anniversary of your wonderful thread.

It's been a pleasure contributing. Graham x.

13 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Wow - it's been a whole year.   Time flies by when having fun!     

@dani negreanu

Thank you Dani for starting this thread and make sure you do the anniversary cleaning of your Fridge.

I am so happy to get to know everyone on this thread and wish for us all to meet on a cruise ship someday soon.😍

12 hours ago, ATG said:

I’m making hot cross buns tomorrow.  I read that tradition says if you give someone hot cross buns on Good Friday they will be your friend all year.  I figure it can’t hurt.  My neighbors all enjoy my excess baking.

My thanks to Dani also, this thread is great fun.

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Happy anniversary to the “Routine” thread.  Huge thanks to @dani negreanufor starting this and to everyone for keeping it going and most importantly, keeping it a friendly place here on CC.  

Thank YOU.

The pleasure of contributing is mutual. It was a roller-coaster year....

Today I've cleaned the bathrooms. You'll have to believe me....😉

My cruising "balance" -- 2 cruises cancelled in 2020, same in 2021. Booked one for May 2022.

Was hoping to make a family vacation in Cyprus, which opened last week for vaccinated Israelis and no tests required for kids under 12. Seemed very promising, until I called to be sure of this. Turned out that yes, we'll be welcomed back to Israel without quarantine or tests, but the grandkids will need 2 weeks quarantine.... Bummer.

Again, wishing all of you who celebrate Easter, A Happy Easter and Good Friday 🌸

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Sunny and will be 70 in Dallas, just checked on my July 3rd cruise and now price for our royal suite on Celebrity is up more than 1k per person from what we paid last week when we booked this. Cruise leaves from St Maarten. This is a birthday cruise for my better half who was born on the 4th of July.

• Like 3

It is bright and sunny in Northern New Jersey today, but a cold and windy 23 degrees F early this morning. 

I still await the vaccine....

Meanwhile,  our backyard magnolia tree blooming is underway:

Happy Easter!

20210402_091812.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I realize many have already gone through the process of getting the COVID vaccine, but here is my experience so far.

Thursday at 10:10 am ish received the Moderna vaccine.

Instructions from Pharmacist.

Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water today before you go to bed, at least one an hour

No alcohol (damn)  well if you must you can, but don't get dehydrated.

Move your left arm around often keep the muscle working.

Take either Tylenol or Ibuprofen when you get home to help prevent a headache, after that only take if needed.

If you notice an inflammation at the site take either Benadryl or Zyrtec to control the swelling.  

Some people have no side effects others get various reactions.

So after 15 min. of shopping in the store, I let him know I was OK and was on my merry way.

Came home, made  spaghetti sauce, meatballs and put them on to slow cook all day.

Made the salads. Started drinking my water.

Turned on the TV, watched the Minn.  trial, fell asleep.

Got up, drank fluids felt a tad achy, arm ok.

Took a hot bath.

Dinner, DH cleaned up.

Laid across couch, fell asleep during Wheel of Fortune.

Got up to watch Jeopardy.

Oh in between these rest periods, went to drink water and P.

Went to bed at 9:30pm.

Must have fallen asleep instantly, but almost every hour on the hour I had to get up to P from all that water.

Got up this morning about 9:00am

No fever at any time. Never felt cold, no chills, no dizzy spells, no GI symptoms.  Talked to my DH.

Had my DH not asked me how my arm was I would not have said anything, but since he did it does seem a tad sore, no redness or anything. But nothing to complain about.

No headache, not really hungry, but I will get something later.  But not nauseated.

Today, chillin'  snow on the ground.

DH bringing in Pizza

I'll make salads later.

Over-all 

I was prepared for gloom and doom and it was all relatively painless, not unbearable.

Take care 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Just watching our Premier (comparable to your Governor) giving us information of our newest shutdown, which starts on Saturday. 

I'm so sorry for you guys.  I just read about that and what they did back in BC.  Just so sad for you all.

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

You were just across the river from us, about a 45 minute drive away.  St. Marys is on our list of places to visit.  Did you take the ferry to Cumberland Island?  Any idea if the Kings Bay sub base is open to visitors?

Some of the things are still limited here.  We are doing Cumberland Island today, then heading to Savannah for a while. 

Yesterday was a fun day. We drove an hour and half north and met my daughter and one of our grand daughters for lunch at Red Lobster.  The drive south was about 3 hours for them.  The youngest GD started spring break and she's going to spend a few days shopping and eating with her Nana while Papa (me 🙂 ) is working. Apparently they are going kite flying today. DW ordered kites off Amazon. This should be entertaining and end with laughs and broken kites. Hopefully they video the event for my entertainment later.  Monday we're going to head to Six Flags and meet DD again, we'll spend the day there then we'll swap kids.  This time the oldest GD will hang with Nana.  

This morning I found out I'm eligible for the vaccine.  Unfortunately, I don't have time to get it for the next week.  Hopefully, I can schedule something soon. I'm waiting until I know I can schedule and will have at least a couple of days off so if there are side effects my work is not impeded.  We can get our Pfizer shot through Kaiser and they seem readily available. Other Moderna options are available as well at various locations.

Special shout out to @dani negreanu for this great thread.  Hard to believe that it has been a year.  Thanks to all my great friends here as well. I have truly loved living vicariously through your pictures and descriptions of life wherever you are.  I'm looking forward to being on a cruise with you all some day soon.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm so sorry for you guys.  I just read about that and what they did back in BC.  Just so sad for you all.

Thanks.  It is what it is.

This round is hitting the non vaccinated that were “safe” in the last wave. In following provincial out breaks in LTC, between residents and staff, there is a drastic reduction at this point in cases (knocking on wood while typing).

As of today there are currently 44 homes in outbreak with 9 resident cases in all of Ontario. 40 of those homes have no resident cases, with a further 103 active staff cases through the 44. That translates to 4 homes with 9 resident cases. Even though all residents and staff have not taken the vaccine it appears to have had a very positive effect on top of the health protocols.  Many staff at this point have only had one shot, but residents are allowed to get both even with the new delay of 4 months between needles for everyone else in the province. As a comparison, when daily cases in Ontario were this high in December/January there were 240+ homes in outbreak with cases beyond belief with residents and staff. At this point the reduction of cases is evident in LTC, even if everyone hasn’t been vaccinated for whatever reason.  

Had we had vaccines to give in Canada like many other countries, it could have been a race against the variant.  Unfortunately our national leadership started the procurement process too late last year and we are now behind the 8 ball. The delay in ordering the vaccines because of our “partnership” with China to develop a vaccine last year was a total cluster. Ottawa put most of the eggs in one basket, and then it fell through when we could have ordered vaccines well in advance of that. They could have done both, to save face for the Micheals and to save the residents of Canada. We see today how that turned out. That being said, hopefully the reported dose amounts from drug companies actually arrive as reported and many can be given during this shutdown.

I’m just trying to see a positive within all of this, because I need it. You can relate with the mental health aspect and the last year my mental health has been rough being involved in LTC. 

Edit: I want to apologize for such a long winded post about Covid in Canada. We here often vent about our days and it has taken a year for me to let this one out. Sorry again for this release of CV19 and Canadian factors relating to vaccinations.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Thanks.  It is what it is.

This round is hitting the non vaccinated that were “safe” in the last wave. In following provincial out breaks in LTC, between residents and staff, there is a drastic reduction at this point in cases (knocking on wood while typing).

As of today there are currently 44 homes in outbreak with 9 resident cases in all of Ontario. 40 of those homes have no resident cases, with a further 103 active staff cases through the 44. That translates to 4 homes with 9 resident cases. Even though all residents and staff have not taken the vaccine it appears to have had a very positive effect on top of the health protocols.  Many staff at this point have only had one shot, but residents are allowed to get both even with the new delay of 4 months between needles for everyone else in the province. As a comparison, when daily cases in Ontario were this high in December/January there were 240+ homes in outbreak with cases beyond belief with residents and staff. At this point the reduction of cases is evident in LTC, even if everyone hasn’t been vaccinated for whatever reason.  

Had we had vaccines to give in Canada like many other countries, it could have been a race against the variant.  Unfortunately our national leadership started the procurement process too late last year and we are now behind the 8 ball. The delay in ordering the vaccines because of our “partnership” with China to develop a vaccine last year was a total cluster. Ottawa put most of the eggs in one basket, and then it fell through when we could have ordered vaccines well in advance of that. They could have done both, to save face for the Micheals and to save the residents of Canada. We see today how that turned out. That being said, hopefully the reported dose amounts from drug companies actually arrive as reported and many can be given during this shutdown.

I’m just trying to see a positive within all of this, because I need it. You can relate with the mental health aspect and the last year my mental health has been rough being involved in LTC. 

Edit: I want to apologize for such a long winded post about Covid in Canada. We here often vent about our days and it has taken a year for me to let this one out. Sorry again for this release of CV19 and Canadian factors relating to vaccinations.

No need to apologize. Sadly,  I can relate, oh to well, to the mental health challenges this has caused.  I'm not going to comment on Ottawa's response.  I'm sure most can guess my thoughts.  It is great news about the LTC homes.  Hopefully soon, vaccine distribution ramps up and you can get ahead of this.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

We here often vent about our days and it has taken a year for me to let this one out.

Venting is our "middle" name here.... You're exactly where you should be, Andrew.

I agree with you that the situation in Canada, and in Europe (except UK) is beyond frustrating. 

It was just sheer luck that Israel "gambled" mainly on Pfizer, but acquired also Moderna, J&J and Astra-Zeneca.

If it's any consolation to you, as you said regard LTC, the vaccines already supplied have a very positive "by-product" influence on the number of cases....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lionesss said:

I realize many have already gone through the process of getting the COVID vaccine, but here is my experience so far.

Thursday at 10:10 am ish received the Moderna vaccine.

Instructions from Pharmacist.

Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water today before you go to bed, at least one an hour

No alcohol (damn)  well if you must you can, but don't get dehydrated.

Move your left arm around often keep the muscle working.

Take either Tylenol or Ibuprofen when you get home to help prevent a headache, after that only take if needed.

If you notice an inflammation at the site take either Benadryl or Zyrtec to control the swelling.  

Some people have no side effects others get various reactions.

So after 15 min. of shopping in the store, I let him know I was OK and was on my merry way.

Came home, made  spaghetti sauce, meatballs and put them on to slow cook all day.

Made the salads. Started drinking my water.

Turned on the TV, watched the Minn.  trial, fell asleep.

Got up, drank fluids felt a tad achy, arm ok.

Took a hot bath.

Dinner, DH cleaned up.

Laid across couch, fell asleep during Wheel of Fortune.

Got up to watch Jeopardy.

Oh in between these rest periods, went to drink water and P.

Went to bed at 9:30pm.

Must have fallen asleep instantly, but almost every hour on the hour I had to get up to P from all that water.

Got up this morning about 9:00am

No fever at any time. Never felt cold, no chills, no dizzy spells, no GI symptoms.  Talked to my DH.

Had my DH not asked me how my arm was I would not have said anything, but since he did it does seem a tad sore, no redness or anything. But nothing to complain about.

No headache, not really hungry, but I will get something later.  But not nauseated.

Today, chillin'  snow on the ground.

DH bringing in Pizza

I'll make salads later.

Over-all 

I was prepared for gloom and doom and it was all relatively painless, not unbearable.

Take care 

Happy to hear you got first dose and all went well.  I had no issues with either dose, other than minor sore arm.  

Eric felt like he had a hangover on 2nd dose but was all better 2 days later.

• Like 3