How many cruises would have to go before you will take a cruise

Shaver John

Just curious, how many cruises will have to have been completed before you would be willing to get on a ship. We all have so much FCC that we will be using to pay for our next cruise that I bet Princess will make very little profit for many months, but would you take a cruise on the first ship to sail. 

16 minutes ago, Shaver John said:

Just curious, how many cruises will have to have been completed before you would be willing to get on a ship. We all have so much FCC that we will be using to pay for our next cruise that I bet Princess will make very little profit for many months, but would you take a cruise on the first ship to sail. 

After a vaccine is created and tested (which will be required for cruise travel) then cruising will not be a risk.  This will not likely occur until sometime in the first half of 2021. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ano said:

After a vaccine is created and tested (which will be required for cruise travel) then cruising will not be a risk.  This will not likely occur until sometime in the first half of 2021. 

Fully agree.  Love cruising but will not cruise until vaccine is available.

• Like 5

ZEEEERO. 

In fact if our cruise for this fall was to run as laid out and ports/countries open, and I am not denied health insurance coverage for the trip, I would go in a heartbeat.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 5

My guess is that most cruisers agree with ano and franktown......until there's a vaccine, there will be very limited cruising.  I'm sure there will be some "early" cruises where they give away the cruise...to prove it's safe.....but since we are in the high risk group, we'll wait...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, portiemom said:

Yes, would go on the first cruise to sail. Vaccine or no. Even if we had to wear face masks. If the airports are open and the cruise ports are open, we would go.

I agree....hoping it is sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Shaver John said:

You bet! We just booked the first two Island Princess cruises in July. We can't wait to get back out there cruising!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ano said:

Same here.....Princess did such a horrible job with the ships of theirs that had COVID-19 on it that I cannot see putting myself or family in that kind of danger until COVID-19 is not a threat to lives.....I am sure it would be a lovely experience with everyone wearing face masks, social distancing in the dining rooms, crowded elevators, the theaters with very limited seating, germ free health clubs and no one wanting a cruise ship to dock in their port, on and on.....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, weedpindle said:

I'll go on the first one. And, all those people who are afraid, remember your chances of getting into a fatal car crash should preclude you from driving.

That's your argument? Why do people immediately equate Covid-19 with death?

I wouldn't get on a ship right now because I prefer not to be exposed to and catch a virulent and particularly contagious disease. I'm not worried about dying from it... but I don't want it, either.

• Like 1

This is nothing more than any of our normal influenza virus - except there is no vaccine. When a vaccine is created, you will still have this virus and it will effect some people. Not all people get vaccines, and you cannot force them to.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GJCruiser said:

This is nothing more than any of our normal influenza virus - except there is no vaccine. When a vaccine is created, you will still have this virus and it will effect some people. Not all people get vaccines, and you cannot force them to.

This is far more than influenza. It is far more dangerous and people can be infected and asymptomatic and shedding viable virus particles.

If a company so desires it certainly can prohibit people from boarding ships or aircraft without proof of vaccination.

• Like 8

We have three cruises booked all from our home port Melbourne this year   15th Oct,  21st Oct and 16th Nov...

If they are on... we go... if not... we don't.

then we will see what is on offer   ....

The Crystal Ball  has gone flat ..... so who knows really

Cheers Don

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, brisalta said:

This is far more than influenza. It is far more dangerous and people can be infected and asymptomatic and shedding viable virus particles.

I agree. This is much worse than typical influenza. Much of the world is on lockdown. We've not seen anything like this before. With all the attention on the cruise industry, it makes sense that they will not sail until they can be as certain as possible that they can provide a safe environment. Of course, it's impossible to have a 100% risk-free travel experience. Nothing in life is 100% risk-free. With that in mind I choose to take a reasonable risk and get on a cruise ship again as soon as possible. Each person's comfort level is different. Being shut in the house for weeks and months on end is not living my best life. As a medical laboratory scientist, I'm used to looking to the WHO and the CDC for guidance. So I'll pay attention, and I can't wait until we are good to get out and cruise again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It should be pretty obvious by now that this insidious virus is much worse than the typical flu.  Just look at the statistics on how quickly it spreads.  As much as we love cruising it will not be worth it for us to take a cruise until there is a vaccine.  Until that time there are plenty of other vacation/entertainment options that we can take advantage of that will involve less of a risk to our health and will therefore be more relaxing.   The idea of wearing a face mask on a cruise would spoil the whole experience for us. As with most things, people’s opinions on this will vary.  

• Like 2

Many posters on this thread and other threads write in hopes of a vaccine, or write about not traveling much until there is a vaccine.  Perhaps there will be an effective one, but they never did come up with one for SARS and MERS.  So, who knows?  But we don't shelter in place in fear of those two coming around again.  If there is a vaccine, we don't know yet how effective it will be.  For example, many flu vaccines are only 50% or less effective, so even with a COVID-19 vaccine, you may not be immune.   (And IDK if a flu vaccine can be compared with a respiratory vaccine).

That said, if the vaccine is required for international travel, then I will look to get it.  No different than needing Hepatitis or Yellow Fever to visit some countries.

• Like 4

So my question is if and when a vaccine is developed and required for cruising what happens to people who can not get it because of allergies? I can not get the shingles vaccine because of a serious allergy to one of the main ingredients Are they going to ban me from ever cruising again?.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, weedpindle said:

I'll go on the first one. And, all those people who are afraid, remember your chances of getting into a fatal car crash should preclude you from driving.

I said  weeks ago that I would willingly go on the first voyage because that ship is going to be so clean that there wouldn't be an issue.  Remember it's the people not the ship that create the problem.

• Like 4