Do you REALLY think we'll be cruising this year?

MarkWiltonM

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

No.

I have a cruise in late September, will cancel before final payment.

Rebooked a cancelled cruise for next May -- not sure it'll be a "go" even by then.

The world as we've known it has dramatically changed.

We also have a late September New England/Canada cruise booked.  We'll most likely cancel prior to June final payment as I don't really expect the cruise to go or it will be changed drastically if it does.  

No I don't.  There might be a few test runs but nothing that involves a large number of ships/people.

An effective treatment or a vaccine would be a game changer and none of us know when that may happen.

Edited by mek
  • Like 1

probably later this year, with a limited roll out of ships and locations.  The more popular routes would be the easiest to start and attract cruisers

what ever it takes, the all inclusive Caribbean land resorts are really in the same shape.  All the same uses with cross contamination in every sense - they just don't move.  It will be hard fo the island to discriminate between ship and land pax

Just to  provide an additional data point...

As of today, the world's largest state fair, 5 months from now, where social distancing would at least theoretically be possible, and much of the activity is outside, is cancelled. No Oktoberfest in 2020.

No way cruises are happening this year...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wanted to post this important article. It talks about the historical death rates of various countries and cities as compared to present day. It demonstrates that the deaths attributed to covid19 care not fake news and these are just normal deaths from other reasons. The analysis shows if anything the number of deaths attributed to covid19 is undercounted because there are discrepancies from current death rates even adding in covid19 numbers.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html?referringSource=articleShare

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People need to realise the world as it was before COVID19 is not the world we will re enter on the other side. There will be cruising again at some point but I think next year at the very earliest and it won’t be as it was before.

Also need to think about the appetite of ports to open to cruise ships again.Its highly likely to be extremely muted and that will greatly restrict the movements of any sailings that resume.

The virus is not going away any time soon and if you look to other countries that got on top of it early and then relaxed, the second wave was worse than the first.

Edited by Ronin23
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

All the responses on here are simply guesses and personal opinions... the world is changing daily.  One week we hear things are improving and the next week a country/Province or State has become a hot spot.  Let us not forget the cruise industry has only been shut down for a little over 5 weeks (seems longer) and while things did get worse they can also get better.  At this point i am skeptical that cruising will return this summer, hopeful that that cruising will return this fall and baring some major change in the impact of the virus expect it to return this winter.   What those cruises will be and how things will change remain to be seen.

For now, I look back fondly on the cruises I have taken and look forward to future cruises when it's safe and reasonable to do so.

An article from USA Today, which I found which supports, to some degree, my thoughts on sailing many of us who have a 'strong' desire to return to the seas! 😊

It may pan out or not, but there are enough passengers ready, willing, able and booking cruises while waiting to find out if it is a go or not and then re-booking if that particular sailing is cancelled.

Please note: this is only one (1) source of info and there may be others out there which either support or debunk the thesis contained therein.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1

Sadly canceled my September 11 Canada cruise out of Boston last night !  I  changed   the trip to a  land trip  since we already  had flights going in and out of Boston was able to change the date a  few days later and actually got $100 credit ( I can still cancel at no fee)!  If everything is better we will be seeing three cities in Canada and doing a lot of driving through some beautiful countryside that we’ve never seen !!  I now look forward to our Pacific coastal cruise September 2021  that we already had booked!!

Things will probably never be the same but will have to make the best!!

I hope all CC people stay safe !!

• Thanks 1

I would hope so.  I’m not sure how the cruise lines will survive if we don’t get back to doing so soon.  Social distancing IMO will not work for the full cruise experience so hopefully doing so during the summer At home will help that.   Taking temps before boarding will be a good idea and people washing their hands consistently should help.  

I would hate to think that our vacation of choice will go away so going to remain positive for now.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We sure hope cruising will start back up this year, the sooner the better, as we have a bunch of cruises booked. But, of course, it's up to the cruise lines to make that decision. For us if the cruise lines we're booked with think they can provide a safe environment, the ports we're scheduled to visit feel it's safe enough to come ashore, then we're ready. But you can rest assured social distancing will definitely be on our minds, as it always is when we're cruising.

Thats what I thought when I read that our goverment canceld the Oktoberfest- if that does not happen- cruising doesn´t either.

Belive me one thing- social distancing at the Oktorberfest- totaly impossible! The closenes in the beer tents alone gives me the creeps-  in usual times- and I have avoided the Oktoberfest for the last 25 years.

Of course the athmosphere in those tents lives from beeing close together and have fun.

Brought this over from another thread. It fits here as well.

Once okayed to resume, here is what Celebrity's first two cruises should be. Same ship sailing each time, no other sailings.  

- Dates will be posted when they are firm.

- "M" class ship because of lesser passenger and crew count.   

- Duration, 4 nights 1st cruise. Three days at sea, one day on Coco Cay or Labadie. Passengers will assume same activities as before suspension.

- 7 nights 2nd cruise. Five days at sea, 1 day on Coco Cay and 1 day on Labadie. Activities as usual.

- Except for locals working the private islands (only if needed), there will be no contact with citizenry. 

- All newly directed procedures and safety precautions will be practiced upon embarkation and disembarkation, including on board modifications and changes.

- Both sailings will take place at least two weeks prior to resumption of full cruising schedule.

- If possible, and with previous notifications, monitor the health and well-being of passengers from those two cruises as to Covid19 symptoms.

Subsequent cruises should begin the day after previous cruise ending, in the PM. More time for ship sanitizing and crew rest. 

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

An article from USA Today, which I found which supports, to some degree, my thoughts on sailing many of us who have a 'strong' desire to return to the seas! 😊

It may pan out or not, but there are enough passengers ready, willing, able and booking cruises while waiting to find out if it is a go or not and then re-booking if that particular sailing is cancelled.

Please note: this is only one (1) source of info and there may be others out there which either support or debunk the thesis contained therein.

bon voyage

It’s lees about their ability to fill ships, more about them being able to do so safely and actually having somewhere to cruise to. 

9 hours ago, Argo. said:

Right now we feel safe at home and don't plan to cruise again until the cruise line gives us some space while on board.

However this is April and it's snowing.  Who knows what will make us dream about the warm tropical waves and breezes that we used to experience despite all the concerns mentioned above.

Everybody is crawling from the wreckage of their cruise plans and we are no exception,  but we did find opportunity in the face of adversity.   We grabbed one of the last cabins on a heavily discounted Galapagos cruise (48 passengers) in November that we otherwise would have never considered at a price we'll never see again.  If it cancels then c'est la vie .     I say take advantage of the cruiseline and airline cancellation fee waivers and use it to your advantage to find deals in future travel windows.

To me,  it seems like posters are polarized between the Hemingway approach (cruise like there is no tomorrow ) and the JD Salinger approach (reclusive apprehension).

We prefer the Hemingway approach.   For the JD Salingers of the cruising world,  never fear,  for you the sun also rises.

Edited by JRG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Argo. said:

Wish Celebrity would take note of this and cancel European sailings NOW.

No way will they be able to home port in Barcelona this summer.

A few weeks ago, President Macron of France suggested that all Schengin countries kept their borders shut until at least September, as he didn’t want tourists bringing a second wave of the virus to Europe.

Edited by upwarduk

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

Wish Celebrity would take note of this and cancel European sailings NOW.

No way will they be able to home port in Barcelona this summer.

A few weeks ago, President Macron of France suggested that all Schengin countries kept their borders shut until at least September, as he didn’t want tourists bringing a second wave of the virus to Europe.

Yep, PM confirmed last night no events requiring a permit or sports competitions in the Netherlands until 1 September. Sail Amsterdam (August) cancelled.  Cruising in the Med not looking at all good for the summer but wonder if Celebrity hasn't (yet) ruled out a limited, shortened Europe season?

7 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Brought this over from another thread. It fits here as well.

Once okayed to resume, here is what Celebrity's first two cruises should be. Same ship sailing each time, no other sailings.  

- Dates will be posted when they are firm.

- "M" class ship because of lesser passenger and crew count.   

- Duration, 4 nights 1st cruise. Three days at sea, one day on Coco Cay or Labadie. Passengers will assume same activities as before suspension.

- 7 nights 2nd cruise. Five days at sea, 1 day on Coco Cay and 1 day on Labadie. Activities as usual.

- Except for locals working the private islands (only if needed), there will be no contact with citizenry. 

- All newly directed procedures and safety precautions will be practiced upon embarkation and disembarkation, including on board modifications and changes.

- Both sailings will take place at least two weeks prior to resumption of full cruising schedule.

- If possible, and with previous notifications, monitor the health and well-being of passengers from those two cruises as to Covid19 symptoms.

Subsequent cruises should begin the day after previous cruise ending, in the PM. More time for ship sanitizing and crew rest. 

You missed out severely limited passenger numbers 50% or less to allow for effective social distancing in all venues on board

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ronin23 said:

It’s lees about their ability to fill ships, more about them being able to do so safely and actually having somewhere to cruise to. 

Well yes and no, how many posters on here keep stating no one will want to get on a cruise ship again, some of us believe differently and feel people won’t walk away from the product. This is another example that indeed many individuals do still believe in cruising and are booking for next year. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, dutchclogs said:

Yep, PM confirmed last night no events requiring a permit or sports competitions in the Netherlands until 1 September. Sail Amsterdam (August) cancelled.  Cruising in the Med not looking at all good for the summer but wonder if Celebrity hasn't (yet) ruled out a limited, shortened Europe season?

As much as I’m an optimist in general regarding cruising I don’t see any Europe cruising this year.

The chance of any large scale cruise line (ship over 250) cruising over the summer out of the US is zero.  The chances of any cruise line cruising by the end of this year is also zero. The chance of a cruise line cruising until there is a vaccine is almost zero.

From a scientific standpoint, can you come up with an argument to present to the CDC that COVID will be contained enough without a vaccine so that the CDC can confidently allow people onto a cruise ship?  What scenario other than COVID miraculously disappearing or a miracle cure would allow the CDC to overlook the Diamond Princess, Grand princess, zaandam, coral princess, ruby princess, celebrity eclipse, Oasis of the seas, Celebrity infinity, Disney wonder and all the other ships that have outbreaks. The US govt is tired of dealing with cruise ship quarantines and repatriation issues as are other foreign nations.

Cruising is done until COVID is not a threat. That is the sad reality.  Just because the cruise lines will not survive X amount of months without revenue is not a valid argument.  The government was willing to sacrifice 20 million jobs to contain this. They sure aren’t going to look at the cruise industry and think “We need to let them sail because they are going to go bankrupt” after they didn’t even bail them out.

Ask yourself how you would formulate your argument to convince the CDC that cruising does not pose an unnecessary and unneeded threat to those that board the cruise ship.  I would love to cruise, but sticking our heads in the sand is going to make this go away.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

bon voyage

Thanks for the link.. Obviously a positive outlook put forward.

One of the links in that article was also  mentioned the possibility of cruising this summer, Not sure that will happen but who knows????

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rimmit said:

The chance of any large scale cruise line (ship over 250) cruising over the summer out of the US is zero.  The chances of any cruise line cruising by the end of this year is also zero. The chance of a cruise line cruising until there is a vaccine is almost zero.

From a scientific standpoint, can you come up with an argument to present to the CDC that COVID will be contained enough without a vaccine so that the CDC can confidently allow people onto a cruise ship?  What scenario other than COVID miraculously disappearing or a miracle cure would allow the CDC to overlook the Diamond Princess, Grand princess, zaandam, coral princess, ruby princess, celebrity eclipse, Oasis of the seas, Celebrity infinity, Disney wonder and all the other ships that have outbreaks. The US govt is tired of dealing with cruise ship quarantines and repatriation issues as are other foreign nations.

Cruising is done until COVID is not a threat. That is the sad reality.  Just because the cruise lines will not survive X amount of months without revenue is not a valid argument.  The government was willing to sacrifice 20 million jobs to contain this. They sure aren’t going to look at the cruise industry and think “We need to let them sail because they are going to go bankrupt” after they didn’t even bail them out.

Ask yourself how you would formulate your argument to convince the CDC that cruising does not pose an unnecessary and unneeded threat to those that board the cruise ship.  I would love to cruise, but sticking our heads in the sand is going to make this go away.

Disagree on the two areas in bold above. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1