Anyone care to share thoughts on Inside Cabins?

happy cruzer

Hi,  Anyone want look in their crystal ball and predict what the future (say the next year or so) booking of inside cabins will look like?

Much talk of lower capacity on the ships.  Will they stop selling inside cabins at some point?  We have one booked but will probably want to upgrade.  Just wonder if Celebrity might encourage that?

Any thoughts?

There are various approaches that cruise lines can take to reduce occupancy. One would be to leave the lowest price cabins unfilled, including all of the inside cabins. This would benefit Celebrity financially. On the other hand, there isn't an equal distribution of low and high price cabins, so some decks would benefit far more from a social distancing perspective than would other decks. Depending upon CDC rulings and the CLIA member agreements, they could instead require an equal percentage of cabin reduction on all accommodation decks. So on some decks, it might be mostly insides that aren't filled, but on other decks it could result in unoccupied Aqua cabins.

The are other potential factors at play. For example, as @jelayne mentions, the possibility of moving crew to inside cabins might be an option. There is also the possibility that these cabins could be used as isolation/treatment cabins for anyone coming down with COVID-19. 

For fairness to all passengers, each category should be decreased by whatever percentage is decided.   Some passengers prefer inside cabins for better sleep and for cost issues.   Other passengers enjoy outside cabins without balconies.   If crew members start to share the corridors with passengers, unless they are the ones with passenger contact, will only increase the risk of transmission.   I heard that blocking off certain passenger decks is a possibility.   With half the passengers there would be a significant decrease in the crew so they may all get their own crew cabins.   Especially important for those in contact with passengers.

Would never book an inside / outside (window) cabin again as being quarantined in there for an indefinite amount of time in the event of some type of viral outbreak would not be worth any money in the world in savings to us.

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, XuGator said:

Would never book an inside / outside (window) cabin again as being quarantined in there for an indefinite amount of time in the event of some type of viral outbreak would not be worth any money in the world in savings to us.

Exactly my thoughts.  I have been quarantined twice (neither time for Noro) and it would have been terrible in an inside especially.

• Like 3

Agree it would not be fun to be quarantined, while staying in an inside room. 
We are in the process of moving our inside room on the Reflection from 1/15/21, to 1/14/22 on the Constellation. We have more reasons than just being stuck in the room and honestly, it feels good to not have the unknown hanging over us. I hope by January 2022 things will have settled down and proper procedures will be in place.

So if you factor in that they will not be popular, does that make any difference on whether they will still be part of the inventory?  Maybe some could be reconfigured as two room suites?

The one we have reserved on Apex, might could be added to a balcony cabin to make a suite.

It would cost alot but who knows.

1 hour ago, yorky said:

I had Noro in an inside on a Princess cruise, I survived it. We have an inside booked again next February due simply to cost.

I do understand the cost issue - when we were just starting out years ago we sailed in inside cabins a few times.  I admit I am spoiled by balconies and for that reason alone would not do an inside.  But i also deal with anxiety issues in general, so I would never book an inside for fear of being quarantined there.  If you can handle it,  I say more power to you.

I am very interested in knowing how they would handle sick passengers and where they would quarantine them, if not in their purchased cabins.  Keeping inside cabins open for that purpose sounds like a real possibility to me.  I could not even imagine being quarantined in an inside cabin for a long cruise.  Three days for noro is one thing, but could you imagine being on a 14 day cruise and getting sick on day one?!?  To be so sick and then to be stuck inside.  Ugh!  I cannot even imagine that.  I hope that is not their plan!

Was talking to my DD earlier today who described me kindly as "frugal". Nevertheless, even though DH has said why not sail in an inside, I am adamently a NO. We have sailed in an OV once and our next year's RCCL Empress is also in an OV, but after hearing about those quarantined to their cabins on Princess cruises, I cannot imagine being confined to a room w/o at least a window to the world.

As far as noro...my DBiL contracted it on the Millennium in 2014. He was confined to their veranda cabin for 24 hours but his DW was free to move around the ship! He also was compensated for his missed day. 

A noro quarantine is nothing in comparison to a C-19 quarantine!

Edited by TMLAalum

5 hours ago, yorky said:

I had Noro in an inside on a Princess cruise, I survived it. We have an inside booked again next February due simply to cost.

Think about being in an inside stateroom on HAL's Zaandam in March. They were stuck inside with NO access to any place else for almost a month. Those in insides never saw the sky. I would skip a cruise to be able to take one in a verandah. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 9:26 AM, happy cruzer said:

Hi,  Anyone want look in their crystal ball and predict what the future (say the next year or so) booking of inside cabins will look like?

Much talk of lower capacity on the ships.  Will they stop selling inside cabins at some point?  We have one booked but will probably want to upgrade.  Just wonder if Celebrity might encourage that?

Any thoughts?

We were fine with inside until we experienced our 1st balcony. On our last cruise on Liberty of the seas we had a panoramic ocean view. Didn’t miss the balcony.

inside cabins reminded me too much of my college dorm days, and the  quarantine thing would resemble cramming for finals in that same dorm room..Once we went balcony we never looked back....Cutting out starbucks and doing all of our meals at home saves us enough money to buy a balcony cabin every year, worth it!!!

On 6/5/2020 at 8:26 AM, happy cruzer said:

Any thoughts?

My Magic 8 Ball says, "cannot predict now". 🎱

Edited by davekathy

It all depends on WHY we are cruising again...

If there's a vaccine or a medication which is effective in lessening the effects of the virus and cruising is, therefore, back to normal, then there would be no difference in cruising in an inside cabin or an OV than at any time in the past...

If we are cruising again for the same reasons some jurisdictions are "opening the economy" at present--because people don't want to lose money for their companies or investments or because some politicians think it's hurting their election chances, then we'd have to ask ourselves why we're even cruising--in ANY cabin...

Now, I have never been quarantined on a cruise ship, but in just the past year and a half, I have been evacuated from my home for a week (for the Woolsey Fire), then I was forced out of my home for a month and a half for a plumbing break and flood...and now we've been forced to stay at home the last however long it has been (I've stopped keeping track) for the Covid Pandemic...So, we've stayed at a Marriott for a week, a Hilton for a month and a half, both eating all of our meals out...and now at home for a long period of time and eating all of our meals in...AND, let me assure you, NONE of it is fun...Never good to be forced to live in any defined and confined environment for any long period of time.

I imagine it would be depressing as all heck to be confined to an inside cabin...but it would ALSO be depressing even to be confined to a cruise ship suite...

I'd really rather NOT be on a cruise at any time if Covid-19 is still a major threat.  Forget not being able to venture out around the ship...or eat your meals anywhere but cramped in your cabin...or not having any form of entertainment, you are also NOT in a position to get top rate medical care.  Remember, your cruise ship has VERY LIMITED medical staff and VERY LIMITED facilities...

OTOH, I'm reading a lot here from all of those folks who usually just say "I NEED to always have a balcony...I can't imagine EVER cruising in an inside cabin"...Of course to them, I need to point out that we're not just talking about people's typical preferences and desires here.  This is a specific set of circumstances.

Were it normal times, let me just say this:  I am closing in on 60 cruises.  I have cruised in everything from inside cabins to some VERY large suites.  I most often book a balcony, often a concierge, and I've also done an Aqua, a couple of Sky Suites...It changes every time--I book based on the itinerary, the length and the price differential from one category to another...But, really?  I do not NEED a balcony...I LIKE them--because it gives me a little extra space in which to stretch out and an opportunity to step outside to check the weather or catch some fresh air...BUT, if it makes really good sense to take an OV or even an inside...say I save thousands of dollars and it allows me to take even more cruises, I say "why not?"...

After all, how much time do I really spend on that balcony anyway?  I have had some cruises where, largely due to inclement weather or just to the itinerary being so very port intensive, I just never went out there for more than a minute or two...AND how much time do I necessarily even spend in the cabin?  Often, I am always either in port, in a restaurant, at a show, at an activity or in a bar...I'll use the cabin only to sleep and change clothes...AND, if that is the case with you, then, generally, an inside cabin works just fine...

OTOH, if you are NOW anticipating being quarantined and having to spend a LOT of time in your cabin or on your balcony, then, sure, maybe that balcony makes that quarantine a little more bearable...BUT, maybe you should question yourself for not booking a large suite?  We've had large suites with two bathrooms, media room, living room/dining room and a hot tub on the balcony.  If I HAD to be quarantined on a ship, that would have been the cabin I'd want to be stuck in.  Much better than some small 180 square foot one-room cabin with a tiny four foot deep balcony...

Or. maybe the answer should be...DON'T cruise until this thing is really OVER.

• Like 3

I read a quote this past week, and sorry I don’t remember if it was the CDC official talking about the “Herculean” task of getting cruises started, or if was someone from a cruise line being interviewed BUT this person said the numbers of both passengers and crew would have to be reduced and implied by the same percentage, which should open up space in crew quarters. They are so very crowded, that I still think moving senior crew to inside cabins is a possibility.

I'd really rather NOT be on a cruise at any time if Covid-19 is still a major threat.  Forget not being able to venture out around the ship...or eat your meals anywhere but cramped in your cabin...or not having any form of entertainment, you are also NOT in a position to get top rate medical care.  Remember, your cruise ship has VERY LIMITED medical staff and VERY LIMITED facilities...

Or. maybe the answer should be...DON'T cruise until this thing is really OVER.

Steve.....I sooooo agree with your post!

Until there is a vaccination, I believe that holiday air travel, hotels, resorts, and cruising will not be in the foreseeable future.  Of course the cruise industry will continue to promote their product but I think with this pandemic and resulting economic downturn, that perhaps the cruiselines may be holding up their flag and marching uphill and will at sometime look behind and see that no one is following or supporting.  Very, very sad!  My DH and I so enjoyed our time on the Reflection and disembarked on March 2, thinking we wanted to make a reservation for next year! We are both health professionals.....absolutely no way no how.  Our world will be different forever.  Frankly, I am not sure if the cruise line industry will survive.  But just my $.02.  

I used to sign off as "happy and safe travels."

I have amended that to "Just be safe."

This. is. a. scary. time.

Pam

Very interesting.  We have always been fans of inside cabins (much to the chagrin of most people I know!!).

However, now I am having second thoughts.

We have a b2b this coming winter on the Reflection and a 12 day in May on the Apex.

Who knows if we will be able to take these cruises.

We will wait and see how the Covid evolves and also if we can get travel health insurance that includes coverage of Covid.

Without travel health insurance, most people will not travel

Edited by babylene

On 6/6/2020 at 3:44 PM, babylene said:

Very interesting.  We have always been fans of inside cabins (much to the chagrin of most people I know!!). ...

Thanks, babylene.

We are not among those "most people [you] know."

If it were not for inside cabins, we would not be cruising fans -- and we are BIG-TIME cruising fans.  We have been on about 36 cruises [often long ones] in the last 12 years (mostly back-to-backs) -- mainly on "X" and "RCI" -- to the point that we have been at sea for about one year out of the last twelve.  We have been "inside" for every one of those cruises.

If not for inside staterooms, we could never have afforded to do this, and we are just one more trip away (in December, we hope) from the "Elite Plus" tier in the Captain's Club.  Even if we were millionaires, however, we would stay "inside" only, because of how quiet and dark it is -- 24 hours a day -- allowing for naps and solid overnight sleep.  We hate the sunlight, wind, humidity, etc., coming into a room (at home, in a hotel, or on a ship).  We also have no desire to eat/drink outdoors or to sit on a balcony in the cold -- or in the hot and humid -- air.

"Renting" inside cabins, which we use almost only for sleeping and bathroom facilities, has saved us vast amounts of money that we have been able to use in other enjoyable ways, especially for specialty dining and wine.

In no way are we criticizing others' [anti-inside] choices.  Instead, we are only explaining why "inside" is the only thing we would consider.  If all inside staterooms are given to crew members, we will decide to give up cruising.

The reason we are not alarmed about the possibility of being quarantined in an inside stateroom is that we are OPTIMISTS who have less than a 1% concern about that happening.  Should it happen, however, we would deal with it and still consider ourselves blessed because of the thousands of things that have gone right for us (more than we deserved) over the past dozen years.  We would be creative and find enjoyable ways to spend the time -- no doubt with lots of cooperation from sympathetic crew members.

Let's all keep our chins up!  Thanks.

PS:  We think that we have posted about a thousand messages here in a decade, and do not recall ever having spoken out on this topic.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2020 at 2:44 PM, babylene said:

Very interesting.  We have always been fans of inside cabins (much to the chagrin of most people I know!!).

However, now I am having second thoughts.

We have a b2b this coming winter on the Reflection and a 12 day in May on the Apex.

Who knows if we will be able to take these cruises.

We will wait and see how the Covid evolves and also if we can get travel health insurance that includes coverage of Covid.

Without travel health insurance, most people will not travel

Before you count on travel insurance, better read the fine print to see if it covers pandemics.  Most do not.