Cruise line meeting with CDC is Today

jimbo5544

I have a deposit on a cruise in January.  If my September cruise gets cancelled, I will move all of the money I paid to January and hope for the best.  I think my September cruise will sail since it's still three months away.  A lot of progress can happen in three months.  I've already decided that it's just one of those times when I will have to be patient.  I haven't booked any excursions.  If the ship sails at 1/2 capacity, that's a bonus to me because I don't like crowds.  Time will tell.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jasalth said:

Don't know if you are in the Facebook group for the Sept Pride cruise on the 6th but someone messaged Carnival and got a response along the lines that "They are looking at their plans to sail this summer and have removed sailing so no new bookings can be made until they get 'clarity' on the situation". 

Same thing happened with our Legend sailing. They disappeared on a Friday, the next Monday, all Europe was canceled. I am not holding out hope.... when I saw they were gone, I started looking for where to move my $ to next, as this was an impulse booking because darn.. we need a vacation! 

Thought about October, but then I actually realized that I don't want to go through this AGAIN. Will only be my 2nd time, but a 3rd one canceled.. I don't know how some of you are handling so many canceled! So my front runners are 2 choices in mid-November, or 2 in early or mid December. Alas as the year goes on, my vacation time becomes more and more limited in choices as my workplace "bids" in November, and I did't start with them until last December and my department allows a max of 2 people scheduled off per week (there is only 14 of us..) 

Or option #2, give up for the year, see if I can just move the $ to my Panama I rebooked from my 1st cancellation, upgrade to a Vista on our 2021 Panama Canal for only $1000 more owed but not until August of 2021! 

Oh I am...I’m the one who posted the topic about cruises disappearing in there  🙂

I’m with you.  This is what happened to my Radiance cruise days before the announcement was made that it was cancelled and the same party line. Im being realistic In that it seems like what they pulled down is a restart pushback and CS can’t say anything yet as the beards haven’t put out an announcement.  It seems too much of a coincidence that these came down after an industry CDC meeting. 

We’re over here discussing plan C...since we moved from Radiance to Pride already. We have an FCC we need to use by March..so worst case is the Pride in March but would prefer to sail late fall before it gets too cold. This was supposed to be for our 5 yr anniversary. We’re worried about vacation time too for similar reasons. 

Edited by BroadwayGirl

It seems pretty clear to me that if you are uncertain you will sail in the near future, you would severely limit bookings. If there is a high probability of the cruise being cancelled, it is easier to manage that way.

It is always easier to re-open capacity than to remove it once it is booked

• Like 2

Checking my prices, on booked cruises, this morning. Every one of them has gone up by $200-$300. We have bookings for every month through Feb 2021. Something’s brewing.

Edited by 2Shoes2Go
Spelling
  • Like 1

Arnold Donald had said that when they made their Aug. 1st announcement, August bookings alone went through the roof. So since they're limiting capacity, it stands to reason that they'd fill up fast and pull those cruises from the site. If Aug. was in such high demand, I would think that Sept. would be, too. And so on. If I had to bet, I'd say the missing cruises people are noticing are because their limited capacity has been met. With that said, Donald also wanted to clarify that Aug. wasn't set in stone. I'm rooting for them to start up in Aug. We don't have a cruise, I'd just like to see it happen. Ours isn't until Jan. 4 and I'm confident that will happen.

3 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I think my September cruise will sail since it's still three months away.  A lot of progress can happen in three months.

Exactly. This whole situation has been rapidly evolving from the get-go. Come August 1st, we're going to be in a much different position than we are now. I think the only thing that would stop them from meeting their Aug. goal is the CDC.

3 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

If the ship sails at 1/2 capacity, that's a bonus to me because I don't like crowds.

That's exactly how I felt when they first announced limited capacity sailings. I think it would be awesome to experience a cruise with a fraction of the people onboard. Unfortunately for us, we have to wait until Jan. and I think by then, there's a very good chance they'll be back at full capacity.

Edited by Organized Chaos
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Exactly. This whole situation has been rapidly evolving from the get-go. Come August 1st, we're going to be in a much different position than we are now. I think the only thing that would stop them from meeting their Aug. goal is the CDC.

I agree with you about the CDC being the only hurdle before cruising resumes from the US. However, I think that is still a pretty big hurdle based on how the CDC has treated the cruise industry so far. 

• Like 2

Still tough out their for vacations.   Alaska requires 14 day isolation or Covid Free Test done within 72 hours,  Hawaii is still 14 day quarantine.   Mexico border is still closed to all non-essential travel.    Mexico is a huge amount of destinations for Carnival.

4 minutes ago, Elbozi said:

Still tough out their for vacations.   Alaska requires 14 day isolation or Covid Free Test done within 72 hours,  Hawaii is still 14 day quarantine.   Mexico border is still closed to all non-essential travel.    Mexico is a huge amount of destinations for Carnival.

Mexico is opening around 7.1, many islands are opening in July.  Granted this is land based.

18 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I agree with you about the CDC being the only hurdle before cruising resumes from the US. However, I think that is still a pretty big hurdle based on how the CDC has treated the cruise industry so far. 

100% dead on

On 6/12/2020 at 8:36 AM, shof515 said:

theme parks is doing something similar with signs that by entering the park you assume the risk of getting the virus

for decades, sporting events like baseball, hockey and others have a disclaimer on the back of the ticket that makes them not liable if  you get hit with a foul ball or any other objects

Most likey, cruise lines will now follow and do something similar

They have the disclaimer but if a person sustains an injury due to a foul ball or any other object they have in the past assumed damages.

On 6/12/2020 at 6:23 AM, ZoeyVictoria said:

I think there are enough people willing to abide by those rules (at the very beginning) to send out some “guinea pig cruises”.  I think avoiding other people and wearing masks on a cruise ship is a more desirable option than avoiding other people and wearing masks at Wal Mart, for instance.   I wouldn’t do it indefinitely, perhaps only once, but I am perfectly willing to take a modified cruise at this point, and I don’t think I am alone.

Love the comment about masks and Wal Mart. Very true. I hate going out to do errands because of the mask. Would I go on a cruise tomorrow knowing it won't be like my last cruise, yes. I agree with you, would I want to cruise every time under these cirumstances, no. I would try it out once.

• Like 1

I can wait for no masks and no social distancing and at 80 I'm in the
"soon-to-croak" category (eyes roll at my "wait" concept I would guess) 😂 I've apparently had enough cruises (35) where I literally don't have to take all the fun out of doing something just to do something. Still haven't officially asked for a refund instead of rebooking, but I'm close. Sure hate to give up that $600 OBC, though. 🙂

Edited by glrounds
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Has anyone heard or seen what the CDC has recommended?

Lots of people on this board search every day for some inkling about the results of the meeting. Some say it's centered around repatriating the crew. Some say, IF CDC discussed lifting the no sail order, they are keeping it very secret. I found this. A 5 minute Utube vid, and the author voiced his frustrations, saying we basically know nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

A 5 minute Utube vid, and the author voiced his frustrations, saying we basically know nothing.

That is so typical right now.  Keep everybody in the dark.  Do we make final payment?  Do we hold off booking?  Do we take FCC and OBC?  Do we make hotel and flight reservations?  I hate the unknown.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

That is so typical right now.  Keep everybody in the dark.  Do we make final payment?  Do we hold off booking?  Do we take FCC and OBC?  Do we make hotel and flight reservations?  I hate the unknown.

We made final payment back in early February, before this mess started, for our Sept. 13 sailing on the Freedom out of Galveston. It's still showing up when I log into Carnival website. Tomorrow(June 15) is the first day for online check-in. It'll be interesting to read what it says, if anything but SOP. 

To answer your questions, I see you have 2 choices: 1.) make final payment, and in the event your cruise gets cancelled you can take the generous OBC Carnival is offering, and 100% FCC, or 2.) take a full refund and anticipate a 90 day in having all of your monies returned back to you. Sorry, I can't help you with flight reservations. We drive to port.

For the hotel reservations, that's another matter. Try to find a motel who will NOT charge your credit card until you check in. That's what happened to us. We made the hotel reservation, and tried to pay for it, but the reservation clerk told us not to pay anything until we check in. In fact, they down right refused to take our card info.....until we check in. Sooooo we've reserved our room, but haven't paid for it yet. 

I wish you well, and good luck! 🤞

Edited by Joe817
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

It's a dilemma I went through just this week.  I decided to make final payment on my September 12 cruise from Galveston.  I drive to port so there is no airfare or hotel involved, just reserved parking which I paid months ago.

I paid it off on Monday.  A couple of days later it disappeared from the booking engine.

Booked to capacity?  Cancelled?   All I can do is wait.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

It's a dilemma I went through just this week.  I decided to make final payment on my September 12 cruise from Galveston.  I drive to port so there is no airfare or hotel involved, just reserved parking which I paid months ago.

I paid it off on Monday.  A couple of days later it disappeared from the booking engine.

Booked to capacity?  Cancelled?   All I can do is wait.

I would say it's a fair bet to say Carnival has reached capacity on that sailing. It's still in your cruise manager, I take it?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

I would say it's a fair bet to say Carnival has reached capacity on that sailing. It's still in your cruise manager, I take it?

Yes.  What's concerning is that all August and September sailings for the Vista have disappeared.  Is it plausible they all booked to capacity the same day?

1 minute ago, bury me at sea said:

Yes.  What's concerning is that all August and September sailings for the Vista have disappeared.  Is it plausible they all booked to capacity the same day?

And my cruise is gone off of Carnival's booking site but the cruise right after it is still there.  And there is a Sept 3 cruise out of Miami that's 4 days long still available to book with lots of interior rooms. I had checked the room availability the other day for my cruise (when it was on the booking site) and there were many interior rooms, not so many balcony or suites. It's an enigma...

6 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

Gosh, your guess is a good as mine! I would say that's to much of a coincidence to be plausible.  It's a mystery to me.

2 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

And my cruise is gone off of Carnival's booking site but the cruise right after it is still there.  And there is a Sept 3 cruise out of Miami that's 4 days long still available to book with lots of interior rooms. I had checked the room availability the other day for my cruise (when it was on the booking site) and there were many interior rooms, not so many balcony or suites. It's an enigma...

Wrapped in a riddle, cloaked in a mystery. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RWolver672 said:

When is your cruise?  Final payment on my 8/17 cruise was due 6/1..