What’s your best guess?

Suzanne123

According to princess.com Royal Princess arrives at 6:15 AM in Los Angeles and departs at 4 PM on October 3, the same day.  I’m sorry but that’s business as usual and in no way enough time to thoroughly clean, sanitize and disinfect the entire ship.

Will these cruises take place?

I think they will, but Princess is setting themselves up for failure if new procedures are not implemented between cruises.

Edited by HUNKY
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

No go ... I do not believe we will see any sailings til 2021 

Agree. Which ports will allow docking and disembarkation? I think the first voyages will be short 3/4 days with only a service port call, no disembarkation.

For us a lot depends on a vaccine. And right now our hope is Oxford University and AstraZenica are able to pull a rabbit out of their combined hats and are able to provide a quality vaccine in mass quantities starting this Fall. I know, that’s wishful thinking, but one can hope anyway. 

25 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

I'd say late October these cruises are going.  We are booked on the Star, 15 Days to Hawaii for November 6th.  We hope it's a go!

I am not sure how cruising will work when Hawaii opens up tourism so that you do not have to go through a mandatory 14 day quarantine.  Hawaii is proposing visitors will need proof of a negative Covid -19 test 72 hours prior to boarding a plane or you must do 14 day quarantine upon arrival.  So far the mandatory 14 day quarantine is in effect until July 31 and could be extended so I would not be optimistic about a fall cruise if COVID-19 is still not contained or treatable and being allowed in Hawaii without testing or quarantine.

15 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

I am not sure how cruising will work when Hawaii opens up tourism so that you do not have to go through a mandatory 14 day quarantine.  Hawaii is proposing visitors will need proof of a negative Covid -19 test 72 hours prior to boarding a plane or you must do 14 day quarantine upon arrival.  So far the mandatory 14 day quarantine is in effect until July 31 and could be extended so I would not be optimistic about a fall cruise if COVID-19 is still not contained or treatable and being allowed in Hawaii without testing or quarantine.

somewhat agreed - plus cruise in way to long to start with - need to be closer to a port and not 5 days at sea each way

I'm not counting on our May/June 2021 cruises - especially the 18 day TA that goes to Iceland, Scotland, and Ireland and then ends in Southampton. The 7 day Caribbean right before that "might" happen but it's impossible to know at this point.

6 minutes ago, dog said:

Same here

yo, dog 

so besides cruising, what else do you think will not be started up until 2021, albeit with changes and restrictions 

theme parks are opening

fans are starting to be allowed back into sporting events

schools will open with on campus learning

airlines are increasing flights

destinations are starting to allow openings to foreign visitors

so, why single out cruising ? - because they are the only ones that have to keep score and report ?

My guess is, no go.  

California is second in cases only to New York and has managed this only by being the first to act on a statewide basis with some of the strictest local lockdowns persisting until even now.  I see cruise ships and large venue sporting events as more or less in the same class (lots of folks / limited space / for hours or days at a time) and California's Governor has made it clear he doesn't expect sporting events anytime this calendar year.  

Before the flaming starts, let me say this is not what I hope will happen, but the OP asked for opinions as to what's likely and this represents my thoughts.  I truly hope to be proven wrong as my January sailing is similarly of question.  

To those who have commented on prospective vaccines for COVID, I am likewise impressed by the breadth and speed of these efforts.  However, vaccine optimism may have a nasty negative side effect.  If, come fall, multiple vaccines are on the near term horizon I fully expect Carnival, NCL and RCI to take a decision to slow or delay any restart until vaccines can be made available & require proof of vaccination prior to boarding.  The truth is, they would rather change nothing operationally and, if they can do so by simply waiting 6 / 8 / 12 weeks they likely will do exactly that. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, voljeep said:

yo, dog 

so besides cruising, what else do you think will not be started up until 2021, albeit with changes and restrictions 

theme parks are opening

fans are starting to be allowed back into sporting events

schools will open with on campus learning

airlines are increasing flights

destinations are starting to allow openings to foreign visitors

so, why single out cruising ? - because they are the only ones that have to keep score and report ?

Yes, some of what you mention is happening with many associated restrictions and procedures.  With cruise ships I think destination ports will be very reluctant to allow passengers and crew from cruise ships to get off and wander around as they have in the past. Likewise I think it will be very difficult for ships to monitor passengers and crew once they leave the ship and then re-board.  Just one or two cases of COVID-19 and the entire ship is back into quarantine with passengers confined to their cabins for a few weeks. I think initial cruises will be shorter in duration and probably will not have ports of call. I'm thinking and have my mind settled that it will be 2022 before cruising returns to somewhat normal.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HUNKY said:

According to princess.com Royal Princess arrives at 6:15 AM in Los Angeles and departs at 4 PM on October 3, the same day.  I’m sorry but that’s business as usual and in no way enough time to thoroughly clean, sanitize and disinfect the entire ship.

Will these cruises take place?

I think they will, but Princess is setting themselves up for failure if new procedures are not implemented between cruises.

No matter how long and thoroughly they clean the ship it means little if a few Covid infected people embark.

I'm sorry, but the shambolic way the US has handled the virus makes me think no cruising, at least from US ports, anytime in 2020. I hope I'm wrong as we desperately want to cruise and the quicker the business gets back to near normal the better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leck57 said:

No matter how long and thoroughly they clean the ship it means little if a few Covid infected people embark.

I'm sorry, but the shambolic way the US has handled the virus makes me think no cruising, at least from US ports, anytime in 2020. I hope I'm wrong as we desperately want to cruise and the quicker the business gets back to near normal the better.

have you booked you P & O Australia cruises around NZ yet , as I believe that is all the cruises that should happen in 2021 based on restrictions imposed 

Just now, voljeep said:

have you booked you P & O Australia cruises around NZ yet , as I believe that is all the cruises that should happen in 2021 based on restrictions imposed 

No P&O cruises for me matey. Hopefully Princess and Celebrity will do these cruises in 2021 and I would do one. Not initially a priority cruise for us but we are pretty keen to cruise again. The downside is that only Aussies and Kiwis will be allowed if our Country's lockouts continue and that is disappointing as I like a mix of people on board , especially you guys.

I didn't bite eh?😷

1 minute ago, leck57 said:

No P&O cruises for me matey. Hopefully Princess and Celebrity will do these cruises in 2021 and I would do one. Not initially a priority cruise for us but we are pretty keen to cruise again. The downside is that only Aussies and Kiwis will be allowed if our Country's lockouts continue and that is disappointing as I like a mix of people on board , especially you guys.

I didn't bite eh?😷

bite, nah, but you did nibble ...

why should Princess commit to do cruises only for y'all when you have your own cruise line P & O for that purpose

and what's your reason, "matey" for not doing  P & O - your home cruise line, right?

REMEMBER THE RUBY !!