Crew retuning

karena1

Thanks Karen! I, too, appreciate the little ray of hope.

As a reforming pessimist, I have a thought for all of you who think you are being realistic when you are pessimistic. Pessimism is no more realistic than optimism.Realism is somewhere in the middle. Both pessimism and optimism error with about the same frequency. The optimists are much happier people.

Cruising will begin sometime. I will be cruising with the optimists, and we will be having so much fun. 🙂

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Tudy said:

Thanks Karen! I, too, appreciate the little ray of hope.

As a reforming pessimist, I have a thought for all of you who think you are being realistic when you are pessimistic. Pessimism is no more realistic than optimism.Realism is somewhere in the middle. Both pessimism and optimism error with about the same frequency. The optimists are much happier people.

Cruising will begin sometime. I will be cruising with the optimists, and we will be having so much fun. 🙂

Realism is based on all the facts.  Optimism and pessimism are based on only using selected facts.  When cruising resumes everyone will have become a realist.  I'll be there, hopefully I'll see you at the pool.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Realism is based on all the facts.  Optimism and pessimism are based on only using selected facts.  When cruising resumes everyone will have become a realist.  I'll be there, hopefully I'll see you at the pool.

Given your CC name, I would be happier if you didn't swim in my pool. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Lol. Hopefully your name isn't accurate! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, GarlicBread said:

Don't want to kill the vibe,  but bartenders have been going back throughout the shut down, someone's gotta man the OB. 

Maybe I should also add, I'm friends with 3 (as in real life friends, not a guest/crew fb friend) guys in F&B who were offered a contract to go back over the last few months, and only one actually made it onboard, because flights/travel/open boarders/boarding the ship just didn't align and work out. 

However, I have also heard of a GSO who's been offered a contract, and I would have thought those guys would have come well below F&B and housekeeping. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

So you work on the ship. Sorry you feel they are stringing you along

I don't necessarily feel they're stringing me along, (it's not like they decided to take a 1 month break and forgot to get back at it) it wouldn't be the end of the world for me if I didn't go back and I'm lucky that I have support at home, but I do feel sorry for a lot of crew out there. 

We get regular emails and occasionally there can be some wording that might insinuate something is about the happen, and there's a few desperate crew out there who hear what they want to hear and believe they'll be back onboard within the month. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, GarlicBread said:

Maybe I should also add, I'm friends with 3 (as in real life friends, not a guest/crew fb friend) guys in F&B who were offered a contract to go back over the last few months, and only one actually made it onboard, because flights/travel/open boarders/boarding the ship just didn't align and work out. 

However, I have also heard of a GSO who's been offered a contract, and I would have thought those guys would have come well below F&B and housekeeping. 

Thanks for first hand information.  Perhaps the GSO might have been offered a contract and they would be more like an office assistant for the ship?  I might think the FB and Hotel Director need some assistance.

1 hour ago, GarlicBread said:

We get regular emails and occasionally there can be some wording that might insinuate something is about the happen, and there's a few desperate crew out there who hear what they want to hear and believe they'll be back onboard within the month. 

Your explanation might just show how some crew are overly optimistic, compared to those that are realistic.  Kind of like reading the comments here. It would be great if they were all back to work as it would mean the world would be back to normal, or close to it. 

From reading what you have to say it seems that a November 1st start doesn’t seem to be a reality as of right now.  

• Like 3

I have been booked on Navigator Nov 2 since the day of the $18 drink package.  We had been planning to book that day as it coincided with me getting off of Snowbird Migration cruise from Canada which went by the wayside a long while ago.  We are still holding out a glimmer of hope that a 4 night even if it only goes to Coco Cay will still happen.  

I wonder if they rotate skeleton crew members while waiting. So, they might have replacement bartenders, etc, getting notified for when current skeleton crew contracts are up. The date of expected resumption of sailing is likely derived from "We hope to be sailing..."

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

I wonder if they rotate skeleton crew members while waiting. So, they might have replacement bartenders, etc, getting notified for when current skeleton crew contracts are up. The date of expected resumption of sailing is likely derived from "We hope to be sailing..."

Do you really think they need a bartender for a skeleton crew?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Protection from liquor cabinet raiding?  🤣  Someone has got to make sure there will be enough 🍹🥂🍺🍻🍸🍷🍾 for all those $18 drink package boozer-cruisers. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

They have a smaller kitchen crew, so why not a limited bar staff?  We think of the bartender, as though the ship was at full capacity.  Even with a limited capacity, in theory they still need bar staff for lack of a better description.

22 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

NO at least two , for restroom breaks and fetch more supplies, those skeleton crew can drink like fish 🤣

To further Hogbay’s thoughts maybe they are running supplies as well as serving beverages such as coffee, tea, soda, pop, beer, wine etc from the storage areas of the ships to where it is needed. Even with a skeleton crew beverages are consumed.  Not sure about how much alcohol, but definitely the others I mentioned. 

• Like 1

I do believe that all the ships crew can work more than just their primary function. Hence, during this lull in cruising, when a crew member is called to duty it could be to serve in any capacity. As the OP and others have opined, seems that good news is in the offing. Could be. However, it is best to remain logically realistic when laying bare your hopes and plans for cruising resumption. 

Yes, there have been a few short cruises recently. Whether successful or not, you make the call. There will no major cruising for the remainder of this year, certainly nothing from U.S. ports. As to how far into 2021, we should know that some time in the fourth quarter of 2020. In the meantime, rejoice in the fact that some cruise workers are returning to ships. But, realize too that we won't be joining them anytime soon.     

On 9/4/2020 at 9:16 PM, karena1 said:

I am not saying in any way, shape or form that it is actually happening, only saying what he told me and sent me.  So to me, it is a little optimism in this hope we can get back to cruising 

I was terminated from my job at the beginning of the pandemic. In May the company that I worked for started to send out a survey to see who would be interested in coming back to finish the liquidation. At the time they didn't know when retail in NY would open up again but they were being proactive trying to recruit us back. From what you described, it sounds like Royal is doing the same thing which is a positive sign. I wouldn't start packing until we see what the CDC decides at the end of Sept. What concerns me is that Florida doesn't seem to be recovering so quickly and now the virus has spread to the Virgin Islands. 

On 9/4/2020 at 5:56 PM, Eddie Wilson said:

The reason I read these boards almost every days is to find nice news like this post. 

I do the same thing!  We're hoping to sail December 22nd on the Jewel of the Seas.  Thank you so much @Karena1 for posting this--gives me hope that the good times are coming back!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

BTW Karen, thank you for a positive post in the darkest days of cruising. You are at least trying to bring something positive to the board and are to be commended for it. 

I thanked her as well.  Was so nice to hear an upbeat report.  I am happy she posted this thread.  

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

BTW Karen, thank you for a positive post in the darkest days of cruising. You are at least trying to bring something positive to the board and are to be commended for it. 

thank you so much.  Just so tired of the people that think the world is ending.  They can stay in their homes with bubble wrap around them and let the rest of us enjoy our lives.

• Like 14