Life after cruising. AKA Who is realizing they don't miss cruising that much after all?

John&LaLa

4 minutes ago, lovelife said:

Not me!  We do 17-18 per year

Just curious for those of you who cruise this much. How do you find the time to cruise this much? Retired? I’m in the “raising a family-2 weeks of vacation a year-funding 529, 401k” phase so needless to say I can’t cruise as much as I want to.

15 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Just curious for those of you who cruise this much. How do you find the time to cruise this much? Retired? I’m in the “raising a family-2 weeks of vacation a year-funding 529, 401k” phase so needless to say I can’t cruise as much as I want to.

Worked long and hard.  Now retired.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lovelife said:

Worked long and hard.  Now retired.

Thanks lovelife!  Enjoying the superlatives of this phase in my life, but looking forward to the superlatives in yours! 

• Like 1

Retired two years ago and had planned on 4 cruises a year. We miss it a lot and look forward to getting back on the sea again. Not interested in a week at an AI. Also just miss the freedom to go whenever wherever, even when it’s just between FL and CT. 

mac_tlc

• Like 1

Since I don’t cruise anymore to just get on a cruise ship, I am more selective of my itineraries. Living on the West Coast, I don’t really have any interest in the Caribbean. My last cruise was the Carnival Splendor Repo to Singapore last year, followed by a B2B on the Voyager. I’ve had 6 cancelled this year on various lines, and my next is the Ovation B2B out of Singapore next Apr/May. The TP ends in my home port.

I’m a homebody at heart, so I haven’t really missed it, and I have been able to save lots of money, to finally get some home stuff done.

I will be slightly disappointed if the Ovation cruises don’t go, because I love Singapore, and the rest is all new ports. So, in the future, I still hope to go to New Zealand , and South America. 40 years of cruising, and I feel fortunate to have seen the places I have. If it isn’t in the cards in the future, I’m Ok with that also.

• Like 2

We definitely do miss cruising but we are actually missing EVERYTHING now.  We are pretty much alone in the house  or the yard all the time and are staying that way until the vaccine is available and the numbers of positive cases drop.  We're in that age category and warned off just about everything.  Sad really.  I'd be happy to go on the Staten Island ferry!  We do have several cruises booked for 2021 so we're hopeful we are going!!

• Like 3

We spent the previous 3 winters in the Philippines but just got back to PA in June, will be spending the next two winters in PA.  Miss all the international travel, loved planning cruises to get to or get home from the Philippines. Have had a total of 84 cruising days cancelled from February 2020 through May 2021.  We have not seen any live music since last September, the first time since the 60's that I have gone 12 months without live music.  Been saving plenty of money, ready to explode once the world gets back to normal.

• Like 2

I had 4 cruises cancelled this year, and moved 3 of them to next year.  However, what I miss more than the cruises are 3 cancelled conferences, a week of music camp,  and multiple cancelled music festivals during the summer.

Edited by NancyIL
  • Like 1

I really miss cruising.  My Dh wasnt missing as much as I was but now he is getting antsy and is hoping we can sail on our December 12 nighter.  

We are thankful we got in our 3 week b2b caribbean cruise in january.  

I was really disappointed our plans for europe travel and an august b2b baltic/norway were cancelled.  Those trips saddened me more than local ones to bahamas bermuda canada and caribbean trips we had booked.

Work has been crazy busy the last 6 months so I am so ready for a break and get on that ship!  

I miss normality that has come from travel.  Between travelling across Canada, US, Europe and cruising I haven’t been home for this long in 25 years.

With our son having sports cancelled this summer, and so far none this fall, we have been at home 99% of the time since March. That being said home has never looked so well cared for.  Jobs have gotten done that I have thought about for years and I have been working mainly from home. 

I have missed cruises but I think it will be a bit of time until we return. I’d sooner book an AI with some normality compared to a revamped style of cruising. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Luckily we got to do our Brilliance cruise this past Jan. Our summer and fall Oct cruises have been cancelled. Looks like our cruises in Jan 2021 on Vision is not looking good.

Definitely miss cruising and the people we meet onboard tremendously. Plus the stay at home order on Oahu is giving me cabin fever.

This has been the longest drought on cruising since we did our first cruise 6 years ago. We have done a cruise every 3 or 4 months since we started. Praying that cruising returns soon.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

We cruise 1-2 times / year. We do miss it!  I miss being at sea and gazing at the stars and just the overall fun and relaxation.  We have had another non-cruising trip that involved a flight and a concert cancelled as well. 

However, we are not sitting at home. Following all rules, but since allowed, we have been going to as many places as possible whether it is beaches, restaurants, state parks, a long weekend to a destination a few hours away and a 10 day vacation to several other states south of us. 

I do miss my relatives who are less comfortable getting out and about. 

Here is to future cruising! 🚢🍹

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I miss cruising but this entire Covid thing has made me realize there are so many things that are far more important to me than a silly vacation.  As I have mentioned before, I would trade all future cruises to be able to spend time with my grandson and family, go to a movie, dine inside a restaurant - everyday living that I took for granted and never will again when it returns. The holidays are fast approaching and they will suck this year.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, mek said:

As I have mentioned before, I would trade all future cruises to be able to spend time with my grandson and family, go to a movie, dine inside a restaurant

mek, I am so sorry you are still dealing with all of this.  I hope it can improve sooner than you think. Hang in there. 🌻☘️

5 hours ago, emeraldcity said:

I miss it horribly. I know I'm lucky in that I got in that Transatlantic in March, and a 5-day on the Independence before it, but I've been home for six months now and the thing that bothers me most is that I've waited all these years to be retired and be able to go wherever I want, whenever I want. And now I can't.

Cruising makes a great vacation option for the solo traveler. It's a much more social setting than a resort hotel. I have a group I was to have cruised with this fall (we met on a TA years ago) and we're all extremely disappointed that this stoppage is preventing us from seeing each other again. The last time we got together was October last year. Since many of the group are international, there is no way to visit each other, even if we wanted to.

We've pushed our get together back a full year, when we hope to meet up in Rome to spend two cruises on the Odyssey. Another year is a long time to wait...

I feel for you Dorothy. Definitely not how I thought things would workout. For me, I've just discovered other, cheaper things to do.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tapi said:

Late 50's retired. Done with all those things.

Enjoyed it while we could. Actually kind of burned out anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mek said:

I miss cruising but this entire Covid thing has made me realize there are so many things that are far more important to me than a silly vacation.  As I have mentioned before, I would trade all future cruises to be able to spend time with my grandson and family, go to a movie, dine inside a restaurant - everyday living that I took for granted and never will again when it returns. The holidays are fast approaching and they will suck this year.

Come down to Florida with the family.  Here we can go to movies and dine in.  The movies just started back up but our restaurants have been open since May.

34 minutes ago, mets07 said:

mek, I am so sorry you are still dealing with all of this.  I hope it can improve sooner than you think. Hang in there. 🌻☘️

Thanks - I'm certainly not having a pity party, even though it might sound that way.  My husband and I do see our family - just outside and we go out to eat once a week- again outside. I've had friends over for patio lunches.  Once the weather turns cold all of that will have to end and that is depressing.  We won't be able to have our family over for Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas with them just won't happen.  I'm seriously debating if I will even put any holiday decorations up this year. - it might end up being a very small tree for my husband and myself.

I retired in March - Friday the 13th - lol.  Now that I have all the time in the world to do the things I planned I can't.

I hope cruising starts up sooner than later for those who want it back, but right now it just isn't that important to me.

Edited by mek
  • Like 1