Do you still miss cruising?

ilikeanswers

We'd only ever done about ten cruises and they were almost all about the ports so no.  We're on a road trip right now that will take us to Yellowstone where I've not been before. Lots more of this country to see. And when it's safe(r) to fly we'll likely stick to land trips.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

As time goes on without a cruise do you find yourself missing cruising more or have you gone the opposite and realised you are not as attached to cruising as you thought you were?

I was never attached to cruising. A ship is just another form of transportation to get to interesting places. I  put up with being on the ship just to get to the ports.

Edited by cruizergal70
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

As time goes on without a cruise do you find yourself missing cruising more or have you gone the opposite and realised you are not as attached to cruising as you thought you were?

I miss cruising.  And frankly, I think some folks won't admit how much they miss cruising.  Otherwise, why spend so much time here on a cruise board? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Nope, still miss cruising, although I hope to stop missing it in about 5 weeks.  And since we are all about being on the ship, and don't really care about the Carib ports, being limited to ship-provided excursions means nothing to us since other than possibly at the private island we weren't planning to get off the ship anyway.  Although it does mean that the ship probably won't be as empty on port days as usual.  But we can live with that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

I miss cruising.  And frankly, I think some folks won't admit how much they miss cruising.  Otherwise, why spend so much time here on a cruise board? 

Sheer boredom?

I don't miss cruising per se. But I do miss travelling. For us cruising is just one if several travel options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

I  can't speak for everyone.  I post mainly during the day in between meetings and such just to past the time. I've only been on four cruises. I don't miss it. *shrug *

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I miss cruising because due to disabilities it is the only form of extended traveling that I can do.Last year on October 2 we were packing our bags for a cruise a few days later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I miss cruising.  Even the idea of it.  I feel very free on a ship.

Yes, the ports are the main attraction.  And, yes I love road trips.  But, still......from the excitement/chaos of embarkation to that last, long, sad walk off the ship.  I miss it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I miss traveling generally - the cruising aspect has faded in recent years anyway, as we prefer land travel - still a trans-Atlantic crossing (QM2 straight shot to NY or a repositioning on another line) in the Fall remains the best way to come back from our usual late Summer/early Fall trips.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Short answer..... Heck YES I miss it.     As someone who was raised on a sailboat out of San Juan, being on a ship just brings back my childhood (Fading into the mists of the past REALLY quickly) Add to that the lure of not having to pack and repack every few days, and DAMN I want to get back to sea!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

...being limited to ship-provided -provided excursions ... mean that the ship probably won't be as empty on port days as usual.  

I think this won't be a big deal as the ships are sailing at a reduced capacity.

1 hour ago, Blondilu said:

I miss cruising.  Even the idea of it.  But, still......from the excitement/chaos of embarkation to that last, long, sad walk off the ship.  I miss it.

100% agree with this statement.  

• Like 2

I will not go on a cruise with a lot of sea days.  I like visiting ports.  Itinerary is the primary driver.  But I would never say I'm just using the cruise ship as transportation.  I enjoy the ship and the experience.   If I were just looking for transportation from point A to point B, I would not go by cruise ship.  

Anyway, I miss it a lot.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

I was never attached to cruising. A ship is just another form of transportation to get to interesting places. I  put up with being on the ship just to get to the ports.

"I  put up with being on the ship just to get to the ports."

Huh, I tend to avoid doing things that I don't enjoy.   Especially if they are voluntary.  I'm thinking we can focus on itinerary as a priority but still enjoy the on-board experience.   

• Like 2

I miss cruising 😢  I miss being rocked to sleep by the sea.  I miss the sea breeze, the rocking of the ship in rough seas.  The things I miss most about cruising are things I can't get with any other vacation.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Yes I miss cruising..... mainly as i is the only where one totally relax... everything done for you 

Also we drive to the ship so no flights... and unpacking once.......

The big thing for me is no driving, no cooking.... and love being at sea.....

But were we are  any travel would be nice..... as last time out of the city was a cruise Dec 2019...

and now hanging to go somewhere.... in fact anywhere......    Cheers Don

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

The big thing for me is no driving, no cooking.... and love being at sea.....

And that's what I pretty quickly miss about cruise travel...cooking. When we DIY it's usually and airbnb-equivalent so we can shop at local markets and fix all sorts of goodies.

2 minutes ago, clo said:

And that's what I pretty quickly miss about cruise travel...cooking. When we DIY it's usually and airbnb-equivalent so we can shop at local markets and fix all sorts of goodies.

Since I do all the cooking and on holidays stay in self contained  Cottages......

Cruising is great no planing for dinner, each of us can have what we want, no cleaning up..

so for me no cooking is a holiday .......  so for 106 days so far have enjoyed cruising...   Don

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wheezedr said:

I just miss travel in general, of which cruising is one option.  Actually miss the planning component of travel as we generally go very independent.

This probably most closely sums up how I feel. Cruising isn't necessarily my favorite form of travel, but there is certainly something very enjoyable about having it in the mix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1