Strangest things done on board

W283386

7 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

A table mate once in the dining room once was openly stealing something or the other imprinted with the company’s name. He noticed my look of surprise and said, “Oh, the cruise lines like it when you take things like this home and show your friends. It’s free publicity.” He never knew I was a company sales rep traveling incognito.

lol this is hilarious =D but in any case, I dont see any problem from taking some little thing from your cabin home just as a reminder of a trip. Most of the time such things are even offered to take with you when the cruise is over. So I see nothing criminal in such actions 

11 hours ago, rmalbers said:

I've told this story before:  On a Mediterranean cruise a couple of years ago, M class, a very old german guy got out of the pool, when up to the loungers one level up, and took his swimsuit off to dry off.  No one said anything, crew members just shook their heads as they walked by.  A number of guys walked right by and didn't even notice but all the women 'looked'. 

It pays to advertise.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

lol this is hilarious =D but in any case, I dont see any problem from taking some little thing from your cabin home just as a reminder of a trip. Most of the time such things are even offered to take with you when the cruise is over. So I see nothing criminal in such actions 

Sure, I think lots of us take home minor stuff like the thin tote bag the stewards put on the bed or little shampoo bottles (on cruise lines that still have those).

There was one now-defunct cruise line that had iced tea spoons as part of the silver utensils in the dining room. Those disappeared with such regularity that they gave up and switched to plastic iced tea spoons which drew a lot of tsk-tsks from passengers.

11 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

When they had the sea day brunch in the main dining room at the end of the cruise, people acted like they hadn't seen food for the whole cruise! Pushing, shoving and generally rude behavior.

Sounds like you don't " Attend " the daily " Slugfest on 14 " where that behavior is a common " activity ".

It's a disgrace to witness these Slobs -- so, we very seldom get to enjoy ( ?? ) that " entertainment " (?? ).

On 2/24/2021 at 10:03 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

It’s your bag, and if it floats your boat, so be it, but still do not get it.  One can think of many better areas around the ship to read a good book.

I've never been to the laundry room but couldn't someone be concerned about someone stealing their clothes (especially if it's all they have)? Or do you give your laundry to an employee to handle? Just curious.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HxFx said:

I've never been to the laundry room but couldn't someone be concerned about someone stealing their clothes (especially if it's all they have)? Or do you give your laundry to an employee to handle? Just curious.

Any laundry, ironing or pressing  requirements can be supported by one’s room Steward at a small cost.  This leaves one free to enjoy the vacation. 

From another poster,  it appears some treat the Laundry as an ideal place to read a good book.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, HxFx said:

We went to the laundry room once on a back to back cruise on turnaround day but made sure we arrived a few minutes prior to cycle end. My worry was more about someone removing items, not theft.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

We went to the laundry room once on a back to back cruise on turnaround day but made sure we arrived a few minutes prior to cycle end. My worry was more about someone removing items, not theft.  

Save any angst, use your Stateroom Attendant 

Many years ago we were in a cabin right across from the laundry room.  Every morning, early enough that we were still sleeping, at least two passengers would put their laundry in the machines, then stand in the hallway and talk....for the duration of the wash, spin, and dry cycles.  Apparently it was the laundry variation of the local coffee shop.

5 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Once upon a time, on chilly days, Cunard used to have an open “honestly” table on the deck,s loaded with Cunard Tartan Blankets for the use of guests on the loungers.  Unfortunately, these items proved to be extremely popular “take home” mementos by some, so the open displaying was ended.   Interesting to note you do not consider attaining such mementos as a criminal act.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Save any angst, use your Stateroom Attendant 

We do now. This was on a princess ship years ago. Now with Elite status on X, I get a bag of laundry included but who knows what will happen to Elite perks going forward. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Any laundry, ironing or pressing  requirements can be supported by one’s room Steward at a small cost.  This leaves one free to enjoy the vacation. 

From another poster,  it appears some treat the Laundry as an ideal place to read a good book.

Thanks for the advice (with tongue firmly in cheek). If the strangest thing you've seen on a cruise is someone doing their own laundry I think you need to get out more!

Some of the replies here are funny, others just an excuse to make one feel superior. That's quite funny in itself. 

Phil 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Hotel Director on Princess told us they caught a couple stealing the large plates from the buffet ( when a new pattern came in)  as they wanted them for BBQ at home

A man stole the globe from Michael's Club and they had a perfect security camera picture of him taking it. I learned about this incident when I asked the MC Concierge about the missing globe on his desk. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Thanks for the advice (with tongue firmly in cheek). If the strangest thing you've seen on a cruise is someone doing their own laundry I think you need to get out more!

Phil 

Since there are no self-serve laundries on Celebrity, it would be strange to witness a cruiser DIYing their wash on any of X's ships! 

Perhaps this occurred in one of the hot tubs? Ewww.

• Haha 1

For me the strangest things I've seen onboard were on the now infamous spring break cruise on Connie a few years ago.  Imagine 3/4 of the ship filled with late teens/early 20's from two different Florida colleges.  Imagine drink packages and then imagine the 21+ year olds buying shots for their younger friends.  I can't even describe some of what i saw without being kicked off of Cruise Critic😲

• Haha 2

Our first Celebrity cruise was on the then almost new solstice, didn’t care for there mdr so had dinner most nights in specialty was dinning in Murano , only a few couples were in the restaurant, the couple closest to us one would leave and comeback then the other, apparently they were not getting along . When the food cam the woman picked up her entire plate and threw it at the man food was all over the place , waiter apologized, we thought it was the best entertainment the ship had.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, George C said:

Our first Celebrity cruise was on the then almost new solstice, didn’t care for there mdr so had dinner most nights in specialty was dinning in Murano , only a few couples were in the restaurant, the couple closest to us one would leave and comeback then the other, apparently they were not getting along . When the food cam the woman picked up her entire plate and threw it at the man food was all over the place , waiter apologized, we thought it was the best entertainment the ship had.

Jeez, that sounds even better than the entertainment at the buffet!

• Like 1

A man dressed as Elvis for the entire week. He was “in character” the whole time and wore authentic looking costumes. They were very bedazzled it appeared to be very heavy.  He was sweating profusely every time I saw him and oftentimes his black hair dye looked runny. On the first day I thought he worked for the cruise line but quickly realized he was a passenger. Sadly, he was at karaoke nightly and couldn’t carry a tune!  To make matters worse he insisted on “helping “ other passengers sing their songs. Yikes!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/25/2021 at 1:29 AM, rmalbers said:

I've told this story before:  On a Mediterranean cruise a couple of years ago, M class, a very old german guy got out of the pool, when up to the loungers one level up, and took his swimsuit off to dry off.  No one said anything, crew members just shook their heads as they walked by.  A number of guys walked right by and didn't even notice but all the women 'looked'. 

Oh well- there would not have been much to see anyway after all those years....!

• Haha 2

On 2/25/2021 at 2:03 AM, lyndarra said:

A cultural thing? It would most likely go unnoticed in Germany.

A similar thing happened when the Zarengold (trans Siberian train) stopped by Lake Baikal for a BBQ and swim. Passengers, mostly German, changed in and out of their costumes on the shore.

A asure you THAT is not a CULTRUAL THING! LOL! 

7 hours ago, sandycruzr said:

A man dressed as Elvis for the entire week. He was “in character” the whole time and wore authentic looking costumes. They were very bedazzled it appeared to be very heavy.  He was sweating profusely every time I saw him and oftentimes his black hair dye looked runny. On the first day I thought he worked for the cruise line but quickly realized he was a passenger. Sadly, he was at karaoke nightly and couldn’t carry a tune!  To make matters worse he insisted on “helping “ other passengers sing their songs. Yikes!

All I can say to that story is "thank you very much". 😀

Phil 

• Like 1