The Daily for Saturday Apr 10, 2021

richwmn

1 minute ago, Himself said:

Colin:  Thank you for the information on the Zaandam and I hope you are enjoying the Masters.

Yes Father, I always enjoy watching golf on the sports channels.  The time difference means that I can watch it without interruption after DW has gone to bed!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Marmot@Sea said:

Last night I looked at the list of pharmacies offering the AstraZeneca vaccine.  Our community is not listed.  This has helped me in my decision to wait for my call back for one of the other two vaccines on offer.  Hopefully it is the right decision.

Val

P.S.  I do have friends that have decided to go for the AstraZeneca.  They were able to get appointments fairly quickly.

After a little more research, I have cancelled my AZ vaccine appointment. South Africa has banned AstraZeneca because they found that even after two doses it only had a 10% efficacy against preventing the South African variant. We have three trips to South Africa booked in the next two and a half years, one by land and two by sea. (Good grief, I sound like Paul Revere!🙄) If they require a vaccination for entry to the country, AZ might not even qualify.

• Like 12

41 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Thanks for the daily Rich, I am so glad this have been kept up over the years. I have just recently have more time on my hands to be able to spend time here on the HAL Board. It appears this daily thread has been good out reach/therapy for the rough year many have had especially for those of us that have withdrawals from walking that gangway to our next ship. 

Life has slowed down for Tom and I, he is totally retired, I am now semi retired or at least not working two jobs. But the good thing is we are healthy and totally vaccinated household that is ready to travel. 

Thanks again Rich for keep many here on the HAL Board connected. This board has always been a very supportive close knit community and it is great we have those dedicated to keep this happening. 

Thanks for the comment. It is good to see you back on the HAL board. Hope to see you on a BHB sometime.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Noordam off Newport Beach (Orange County) as we speak, heading for San Pedro/Port of L.A. at 6.4 knots 

HAL NODM IV in Willemstad, Curacao.jpg

Change of plan for Noordam; instead of sailing straight in to the port of L.A., she made a hook shank right/starboard and is mow joining Norwegian Jewel and Grand Princess at the Long Beach (inner breakwater) anchorage. Kinda strange because all three of San Pedro's berths are vacant/open

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

After a little more research, I have cancelled my AZ vaccine appointment. South Africa has banned AstraZeneca because they found that even after two doses it only had a 10% efficacy against preventing the South African variant. We have three trips to South Africa booked in the next two and a half years, one by land and two by sea. (Good grief, I sound like Paul Revere!🙄) If they require a vaccination for entry to the country, AZ might not even qualify.

I think you made a very wise decision 👍 

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

That is a tasteful way to handle it. If they both attended, the paparazzi would turn the funeral into a gossip rag circus.
Not to mention the math: Long plane ride + pregnancy + pandemic = not good.

I don’t think there are going to be any paparazzi allowed in.  The funeral is very limited with covid and the Prince’s wishes combined.

I totally agree with your math.  It would be too risky for her to travel.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Thanks for the daily Rich, I am so glad this have been kept up over the years. I have just recently have more time on my hands to be able to spend time here on the HAL Board. It appears this daily thread has been good out reach/therapy for the rough year many have had especially for those of us that have withdrawals from walking that gangway to our next ship. 

Life has slowed down for Tom and I, he is totally retired, I am now semi retired or at least not working two jobs. But the good thing is we are healthy and totally vaccinated household that is ready to travel. 

Thanks again Rich for keep many here on the HAL Board connected. This board has always been a very supportive close knit community and it is great we have those dedicated to keep this happening. 

Nice to see you here, Lisa and Welcome to the Daily, which you did so many years ago when I think it was called “Where is the Fleet”.  My memory is slipping though with covid fatigue 😉 

With no ships sailing anywhere with passengers Rich has been quite ingenious with how he has developed the thread so we can all share and start our days off with a smile and caring for others ♥️ 

And everyone has followed suit between Roy’s care and shout out list, cat’s wine of the day, Debbie’s meal recommendation and summer’s drink of the day.

It’s a fun thread all about caring and a solace in these non cruising times.

Hope we will see you back here again 🤞 So glad you and Tom are vaccinated and safe 👍 Cheers from New Brunswick to Las Vegas 🥂 

• Like 16

10 minutes ago, highscar said:

Many years ago, before luggage weight was an issue on planes, we came home with 32lbs of Costa Rica coffee.  Best ever. 

We had it shipped on our Panama Canal Sunfarer.  And a couple of packages in our suitcases. 😉. It was really good coffee for sure 😉 

• Like 8

I've been to Puerto Chiapas twice.  First was on the Zaandam in 2017, Buenos Aires to San Diego.  On that trip I did essentially the same tour as @Quartzsite Cruiser.  I was back 16 months later on the Symphony, on my easy way return from my Grand Alaska cruise continuing from San Francisco to Fort Lauderdale.  That time I just took the shuttle into Tapachula.  No photos but there were a couple of differences.  Somehow the Symphony crew had arranged a soccer game with a local team.  I only watched a little bit because of the heat but the locals pretty well trounced the crew.  The cruise port adjoins a cargo port which is a big operation for bananas.  They are now carried in refrigerated  containers and I could easily spend an hour or so on the back deck watching the cranes at work.

Roy

• Like 13

Thanks  for  the  opinions  and  thoughts @kazu@Quartzsite Cruiser and @Cruising-along. I am  just  starting  to  venture  out  from  my  cocoon  of  he  last  year. The crowd  in  the  store  yesterday  was  enough  to   return  me  to  my couch. I  did  well  traveling  to  New  Hampshire and staying  with  family. I  think  the  lesson  learned  for  me is  not  to  go  where  I  am  uncomfortable in  spite  of  being  vaccinated  and  wearing  a  mask.           Terry

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Thanks  for  the  opinions  and  thoughts @kazu@Quartzsite Cruiser and @Cruising-along. I am  just  starting  to  venture  out  from  my  cocoon  of  he  last  year. The crowd  in  the  store  yesterday  was  enough  to   return  me  to  my couch. I  did  well  traveling  to  New  Hampshire and staying  with  family. I  think  the  lesson  learned  for  me is  not  to  go  where  I  am  uncomfortable in  spite  of  being  vaccinated  and  wearing  a  mask.           Terry

Exactly Terry.  There are a several stores here where I am comfortable and many where I am not.  I do curb side service for those I’m not or buy it elsewhere.

I’m not worried about running from store to store to save a few dollars on sales these days.  My concern is to be safe and yes, I’m willing to pay the price for it.  I nip in and out where I feel it’s somewhat safe and avoid those that aren’t.

You can go out and get back to a somewhat normal life - just do it where you are comfortable.  It takes time but you can do it.  While we don’t go out every day - we have certainly been out and about here for things we need.  Masked, of course - our zone here in NB has been pretty good but we maintain our caution.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I have had a busy couple of days!  My cousin and her DH arrived Thursday afternoon, then she & I made the trip to Ada for our 2nd Pfizer shot on Friday morning.  We are fully vaccinated!  Both our DH’s (older than she & I), are ahead of us and were already complete.  In 2 weeks, she will get to see her 90 yo parents for the first time in more than a year, and DH and I are going to visit my DS and DBIL.  Still masking, still washing and sanitizing, but feeling a little more confident about life and CRUISING!

As I mentioned earlier, our experience with the Chickasaws was just wonderful.  This trip, we printed up a stack of 4 x 6 sparkly cards with a few sentences of thanks, which we handed to every person we encountered.  I think we gave out 13 of them.  Everyone was appreciative, and some were really touched.  It was a memorable day again.

Thanks to everyone who posts, and a particular shout-out to those of you who take the time to add photos and funnies.

• Like 14

This dailyite doesn't have a dog so I will hug both my cats instead.

I have been to Puerto Chiapass several times and agree with the others, it is not much of a port. I did enjoy seeing several dance groups in the doct building and shopping at a couple of the kiosks.

I am late getting here today because I went to brunch with a very good poet, my friend Kakalena. First time we had seen each other in over 6 months. She seems to be in good spirits, is having various testing done this coming week to make sure that her cancer has not spread then hopes to have the surgery asap. I will keep you informed. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I've been to Puerto Chiapas twice.  First was on the Zaandam in 2017, Buenos Aires to San Diego.  On that trip I did essentially the same tour as @Quartzsite Cruiser.  I was back 16 months later on the Symphony, on my easy way return from my Grand Alaska cruise continuing from San Francisco to Fort Lauderdale.  That time I just took the shuttle into Tapachula.  No photos but there were a couple of differences.  Somehow the Symphony crew had arranged a soccer game with a local team.  I only watched a little bit because of the heat but the locals pretty well trounced the crew.  The cruise port adjoins a cargo port which is a big operation for bananas.  They are now carried in refrigerated  containers and I could easily spend an hour or so on the back deck watching the cranes at work.

Roy

We met in Huatulco (had to be before the stop in Chiapas you described) and you had arranged a tour of the Symphony for me by having me placed on the ship's visitors list. A nice way to see a Crystal ship if you've never been on one; thanks again Roy, much obliged! 🙂  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Himself said:

Rich: LaffinVegas used to used to post HAL ship locations years ago. 

She used to take  sailaway photos for us cruise critic folk....she did one for me! I don't remember if the webcams were operational then.  Good to see you back Laffnvegas!

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

We met in Huatulco (had to be before the stop in Chiapas you described) and you had arranged a tour of the Symphony for me by having me placed on the ship's visitors list. A nice way to see a Crystal ship if you've never been on one; thanks again Roy, much obliged! 🙂  

Not quite.  My first visit to Chiapas was on the Zaandam, Buenos Aires to San Diego.  We met on my continuation backwards, San Diego to Fort Lauderdale, but that cruise did not stop in Chiapas,  My second stop in Chiapas was actually a year later.

Roy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the pictures of Puerto Chiapas . We have been there on our Panama Canal cruise but I do not have digital pictures to share , just the old fashioned ones in one of my albums .  Remember the port pretty good now I see the pictures that have already  been posted .

In 2012 we still did the HAL sticker tours in the large busses , we smartened up fast after we were told about Cruise Critic and how  "easy " it was to organize your own , what a wonderful change that was ! 

Today I will just show a few more pictures of the Keukenhof that we took ourselves in 2018 . I treated my Dutch cousins that had never been there yet while for us  Canucks it was our third time .

DSCN6910.thumb.JPG.5315f2a40219c2c7bc16972e4f73862b.JPG

DSCN6946.thumb.JPG.9120dddb655fa3c52498282cc8f647ae.JPG

843077368_DSCN69472.thumb.JPG.ff6871da56fc32c7a72ad3b83598cce5.JPG

966868764_DSCN69533.thumb.jpg.9558030e40f22a6fe6875627a62ad116.jpg

1100243735_DSCN69733.thumb.jpg.fb14cc3c238f82547b22ff5d719fa5f0.jpg

DSCN6925.thumb.JPG.d30aff5805ba9dd0e0b20abace017f97.JPG

DSCN0153.thumb.JPG.c0d23c994e26eb564258336bb0da9f69.JPG

DSCN6990.thumb.JPG.415013ef84a5efcb16c569f795b3e157.JPG

DSCN0053.thumb.JPG.dfbe999855adfa010f2180be48c72530.JPG

DSCN0048.thumb.JPG.abf11086c68c667f73f14836dec9e18e.JPG

DSCN6993.thumb.JPG.86a56a3ac3d8e854fafdadfc24bbd88b.JPG

895276962_DSCN69952.thumb.JPG.e5940b48713ed7d4f6dfb30f9b2034a3.JPG

DSCN6977.thumb.JPG.1f3371fc44af8a5cbea06e6f4aa11760.JPG

DSCN9974.thumb.JPG.c60ef7d2199c90efa105cbf7acba63a4.JPG

Tony 😀

31824287_1052157164941562_7845506305929248768_n.jpg

• Like 29

We have visited Puerto Chiapas twice.  The first was on Rotterdam’s South American Explorer in March, 2010.  We took the ship’s tour to Izapa, to see the ruins and then visited Tapachola City.  Our second time was in February, 2018 on Westerdam’s Panama Canal. cruise.  I go through my photo/scrapbooks  to see what we did in these ports, Rich lists each day, if it’s a place we’ve visited .  Turns out we saw the same sites the second time!

• Like 12

4 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Hello & welcome to posting on the Daily!

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 7

54 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

my friend Kakalena. First time we had seen each other in over 6 months. She seems to be in good spirits, is having various testing done this coming week to make sure that her cancer has not spread then hopes to have the surgery asap.

Oh that is great news.  I am so glad she is in good spirits but somehow, I am not surprised.

Our prayers continue for her but attitude helps a lot DH believes and a good one helps with healing and fighting really well.  So glad she is keeping one 👍 

• Like 11