The Daily for Sunday Apr 11, 2021

richwmn

Good morning.  It is sunny with an expected high of 84F.  The best part of the forecast is the wind is supposed to be less than 10mph until later  this afternoon.

I don’t remember having 8-track tapes, but DH might have had some.  I think we skipped them and went to cassette tapes.  I also remember rewinding the cassettes with a pen or pencil.  Some barbershop quartets are good, but that is not my favorite form of music.  We’ll honor pet day by remembering all our cats and dogs who gave crossed the 🌈 Rainbow Bridge.  Like @dfish we think it would not be fair to have a pet when we travel so much.

@rafinmd Roy you were correct in thinking Xingang and Tianjin are the same port.  I entered Xingang on Google maps and it came up as Port of Tianjin, as Tianjin is quite a ways inland.  The port os on the Xingang River.  Like @StLouisCruisers I posted my Beijing pictures including some of Tianjin and the high speed train on the March 28 Daily.

Lenda

• Like 20

Happy Sunday morning and Thank You for the Daily!✏️

Seems like everyone has been walking their 🐶a lot more lately since the pandemic.....remember seeing jokes about the dog complaining about "another" walk, LOL!🙃

We decided to take a Viking river cruise beginning in Shanghai after disembarking from the Volendam. 🛳️This adventure was a little different from a regular "river cruise" with hoteling, some bus and plane travel. A great way to ✔️ the Bucket List off for China.🙂

🙏Prayers to all in need.

FB_IMG_1617198892679.jpg

• Like 20

Good morning.  Love listening to Barbershop Quartets.  Everyday is pet day here.  Eight Tracks are long gone.  The meal sounds and looks delicious, thank you Debbie.

Thank you @kazufor the explanation of the drink.  Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Greyhound:

• 2 ounces vodka, or gin

• 4 ounces grapefruit juice

• Lemon wedge or lime wedge, garnish

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 10.59.28 AM.png

• Like 19

Good morning, 

Beautiful but chilly morning on the Oregon coast.  Low tide so we can see all the seals basking in sun.  Going to be a beautiful week the weatherman has predicted.

The first time we cruised to China was on Princess and took their land tour after the cruise.  It was a great tour.  Glad we did it when we did.

Today we are finally getting outside to do some weeding.  I have tulips up and a few dahlias poking their small heads up.  The early rhodies are in bloom.  I love spring.

Thanks for all the updates and pictures.  Great set of days...I think we still have some 8 track tapes somewhere.  We don't have any pets anymore.  Decided that it was better as we enjoyed traveling and was hard to leave our dog...a wonderful Lakeland terrier.  After she passed several years ago from cancer in her jaw, I said no more!  Not going thru that again.  Maybe someday when we can't travel we will consider another dog.  Until then, I enjoy our neighbor's pets.  

Have an awesome day everyone.  Keep wearing those masks.  

• Like 23

Looks like a nice day in the Pacific NW.  My tulips are starting to bloom.  To clarify about the port for Beijing.  While Tianjin is the port for Beijing, it is kind of like saying San Francisco is the port for Las Vegas.  Tianjin is 84 miles SE of Beijing.  Tianjin is a city of 14 million about 35 miles from the cruise terminal which is sometimes called Xingang and sometimes called the Port of Tianjin.  There is usually a shuttle that will take you from the terminal to the city of Tianjin, where you can catch a train for Beijing.  The whole port area is on reclaimed land on a shallow sea.  I remember sitting on the front seat of a bus going to the port and watching the GPS showing our route and the road.  About a mile from the port the road ended on the GPS map and it showed us going into the sea.

Ray

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good Morning from Las Vegas, it should be a beautiful spring day here. Currently 72 degrees. 
Like Ger said every day is pet day here. There are three cats that rule this household 😉

Thanks for the daily Rich. On thing I have noticed is I think it is interesting that the Nieuw Statendam has been at NCL’s island Great Stirrup Cay.

I need to get moving my usual morning routine is to walk 3 plus miles on my treadmill and I am an hour behind today.

37709085-E267-4E7C-AC2D-3717EC6B935E.jpeg

5C0EFD44-ACE8-430A-922A-4D8E11526F2D.jpeg

• Like 31

Good morning, all!  Thanks to Rich, Roy and the drinks and recipe ladies for the Daily news - the big decision for me today is - lasagna or a steak for dinner?   Actually my back is still sore, so I'm leaning toward the steak, my lasagna pan is so big and heavy, I may not be able to lift it.  And we had pasta last night.    I have an appointment Tuesday for a biopsy of a bump on the side of my nose, doctor kindly said he doesn't think it's a melanoma (but it is a funny colour)!  So I'm looking forward to getting that over with.  Maybe I'll do the lasagna Monday, and then we can always have leftovers Tuesday, in case I don't feel like cooking.

@superoma, when I mentioned to Pat that you had your date for your second jab, he said we have ours, too, July 17 (first was March 17) - I didn't know that.  I hope, too, that they manage to move the dates up as more vaccine comes in.  Things are not looking good here.

I have a few photos from the Keukenhof (which translates as "Cookhouse", I think) too.  We were there mid-May and some of the tulips were going past, but it was still very colourful. They had garden "rooms" which were interesting to try to copy.

IMGP1479.thumb.JPG.dd213b4e855abf8f006af1721de3b7b1.JPG

P1000794.thumb.JPG.8cd42532e055dfe05373b39b2f88e021.JPG

2111305374_IMGP14752.thumb.JPG.db8b35c97271f12b16bd0b14e01bb4b3.JPG

P1000800.thumb.JPG.6f4092342ec813c7070a2deef15b773e.JPG

IMGP1474.thumb.JPG.40bfccdd7f8e1365cfa7a77c721b4b06.JPG

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!!  I don’t really know what happened yesterday but I didn’t make it to the Daily. I started reading and got caught up with the Port of the Day, Puerto Chiapas, trying to figure out if it was near Santa Cruz Hualtuco which was a port on our Panama Canal cruise. I think they might be close and both are in Oaxaca. Then one thing lead to another.  Anyway I will read the rest of yesterday’s Daily next. 

Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. I agree about keeping Prince Phillip on the list until his services. 

I love Barbershop quartets and they always remind me of Disneyland. 💈

I never had 8 track tapes but DH did and I think we have his old box of tapes somewhere buried in the garage. Blue is happy he’s had 2 days in a row that celebrate him. But he always thinks he should be celebrated. 

The meal suggestion sounds good and I’m making pasta today just not ravioli. I found a One Pot Caprese pasta that looks good and is easy to make, there was also a One Pot Spring pasta that looks good. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 21

26 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

We were there mid-May and some of the tulips were going past, but it was still very colourful.

Thanks Ann for the encouragement.  We will be there next year early mid May so I have my 🤞 now 😄 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

8 track tapes were a source of income for me in high school. Very early I bought a recorder capable of recording 8 track tapes as well as reel-to-reel. My friends would hand me their albums along with a list of which songs they wanted and I would make up what is now called a mix tape. Everyone got to listen to their favorite songs without the additional album cuts.

Rich you are older than I thought you were but you are still younger than me.   There were no 8 tracks when I was a teen. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Love listening to Barbershop Quartets.  Everyday is pet day here.  Eight Tracks are long gone.  The meal sounds and looks delicious, thank you Debbie.

Thank you @kazufor the explanation of the drink.  Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Greyhound:

• 2 ounces vodka, or gin

• 4 ounces grapefruit juice

• Lemon wedge or lime wedge, garnish

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 10.59.28 AM.png

It sounds refreshing!

• Like 3

Rich Thanks for the DAILY Fleet report.  I am surprised how many remember and comment on eight tracks.   I preferred casettes.   I am vexed that Buick no longer puts CDs in their vehicles. Thanks to all for their contributions to this thread.   Have a good Sunday everyone. 

• Like 10

🙂Finally, found some photos from the 2018 trip to China and a very important one, LOL !🤓

We did have such a fun experience and the tours were well paced and planned with Viking. After the "cruise" ended, we switched hotels and were "on our own" for another week and found plenty of things to do ~~👍those 'Top Ten Travel' books are the best! Plus the concierge wrote all important points of interest in Mandarin for us and the people were most helpful. ✏️

20210212_222100.jpg

0_20180411_090200.jpg

• Like 21

41 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning!!  I don’t really know what happened yesterday but I didn’t make it to the Daily. I started reading and got caught up with the Port of the Day, Puerto Chiapas, trying to figure out if it was near Santa Cruz Hualtuco which was a port on our Panama Canal cruise. I think they might be close and both are in Oaxaca. Then one thing lead to another.  Anyway I will read the rest of yesterday’s Daily next. 

Distance between the two is about 257 miles and both are semi-regular stops on left to right coast Panama Canal cruises. Two different states however, Huatulco is in the state of Oaxaca while Puerto Chiapas is in the state of Chiapas, not far from the Mexican-Guatemalan border. If you're heading south from Puerto Chiapas, Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala is usually your next stop  

Seabourn Sojourn November 15 December 3 2017

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

A good collection of days. I was around for 8-track tapes but never used any. Only had fish as a kid. My work schedule kept me away from home too much to have pets.

I like the meals and drinks.

I've been to Beijing, but flew there as part of a Viking River cruise.

Yesterday was the first lawn mowing, and then it rained last night so perfect timing. I was expecting to be sore from all the bending to pick up sticks from our wind storms. I need to deadhead the hydrangeas and get leaves out of the beds, but I think I'll just relax today.

5 hours ago, kazu said:

A tad “crunchy” and achy today after working outside most of the day.  I am definitely out of shape 😱 but I wanted to take advantage of the good weather before the temps dropped back down.  Still lots to do - isn’t there always 😉  

Me too! I took ibuprofen before bed to ward off the aches and it worked.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance and wear your masks.

A picture from Tiananmen Square.

278599382_China458-BeijingTiananmenSquareTheGateofHeavenlyPeace.thumb.JPG.29f1f574c55f5fb8aa2f8b58cc858393.JPG

• Like 21

Good morning and thanks all! 
@StLouisCruisers glad you were able to get your new car!  Love how they must have negotiated after the fact!  Love SUV’s!  

I have an aunt who lives north of Seattle, who bought bulbs in Holland that were shipped to her the next spring,  lol, they came from Washington state!  We have been fortunate to visit the beautiful tulip fields near Mount Vernon, Washington.  Spectacular! 

Like Gerri, I haven’t been overly fond of ravioli until I had homemade in Tuscany, the pasta is delicate with lots of filling and you just have a few! 566DC6D3-8E46-41CA-8342-52BE8F79F5E7.thumb.jpeg.598c9f6e5aad3cb87e4ca3534ead1d83.jpeg

9D51DF5F-A1B6-4183-BE5C-A3E1DE12BFD5.jpeg

• Like 21

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, all!  Thanks to Rich, Roy and the drinks and recipe ladies for the Daily news - the big decision for me today is - lasagna or a steak for dinner?   Actually my back is still sore, so I'm leaning toward the steak, my lasagna pan is so big and heavy, I may not be able to lift it.  And we had pasta last night.    I have an appointment Tuesday for a biopsy of a bump on the side of my nose, doctor kindly said he doesn't think it's a melanoma (but it is a funny colour)!  So I'm looking forward to getting that over with.  Maybe I'll do the lasagna Monday, and then we can always have leftovers Tuesday, in case I don't feel like cooking.

@superoma, when I mentioned to Pat that you had your date for your second jab, he said we have ours, too, July 17 (first was March 17) - I didn't know that.  I hope, too, that they manage to move the dates up as more vaccine comes in.  Things are not looking good here.

I have a few photos from the Keukenhof (which translates as "Cookhouse", I think) too.  We were there mid-May and some of the tulips were going past, but it was still very colourful. They had garden "rooms" which were interesting to try to copy.

IMGP1479.thumb.JPG.dd213b4e855abf8f006af1721de3b7b1.JPG

P1000794.thumb.JPG.8cd42532e055dfe05373b39b2f88e021.JPG

2111305374_IMGP14752.thumb.JPG.db8b35c97271f12b16bd0b14e01bb4b3.JPG

P1000800.thumb.JPG.6f4092342ec813c7070a2deef15b773e.JPG

IMGP1474.thumb.JPG.40bfccdd7f8e1365cfa7a77c721b4b06.JPG

Prayers and best wishes that your biopsy results bring good news, Ann!

• Like 16

DH just found out that cassette tapes cane out before the eight track tapes.  Cassettes came out in 1963 and the eight tracks in 1964, but the eight tracks gained popularity first because they were installed in new cars.

In 1968, before DH left for basic training, we bought two cassette players and a stack of cassettes.  About once a week, we’d record a tape and send it to the other.  That is probably why we never had an eight track.

It was a step up when we moved to cds.  Then in the late 1990s we moved to the mini disks and players, followed by mp3s and finally iPods.  It is amazing to look back abd see how the music industry and players have changed in our lifetime.  

@VictOriann Best wishes for a good report from your biopsy.

Lenda

• Like 18

4 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Thank you.  I am a little bit worried about this one, but what the hay, I can't cruise anyway!

Hugs, Ann. Your medical man is probably correct, and the most important thing is you are having it tested to be sure. ❤️

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 8

We have several boxes of DH's 8-tracks - I remember him repairing them with scotch tape when necessary. We also have a functioning player, although no one ever uses it. My cleanout efforts haven't been allowed to touch those yet!

It's a nice sunny afternoon, so I'm heading out to pull weeds. Maybe buy mulch tomorrow? The lawn finally got cut, so now I need to get the flower beds dressed up!

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 16

34 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Distance between the two is about 257 miles and both are semi-regular stops on left to right coast Panama Canal cruises. Two different states however, Huatulco is in the state of Oaxaca while Puerto Chiapas is in the state of Chiapas, not far from the Mexican-Guatemalan border. If you're heading south from Puerto Chiapas, Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala is usually your next stop  

Seabourn Sojourn November 15 December 3 2017

Thank you for the explanation!!  You are a wealth of knowledge!!

BTW, I enjoyed your pictures yesterday of the Police dogs!

• Like 8

When I bought my last car I asked the sales person why it didn't have a cassette changer.  He said that is ancient history.  Just slip a thumb drive into the usb port and you have the equivalent of fifty cassettes.  Of course I have had the car for 4 years and have never done that.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Oh my aching back!  We went outside this morning to trim up some of the shrubs and after 2.5 hours only had half of them finished.  Perhaps on Tuesday we can do the other half.  The trimming of the shrubs is included with the lawn care our HOA takes care of.  But they don't come often enough and the shrubs get all out of shape and overgrown.  So we do it in between times.  Many of them had new growth on them when we got those two nights of freezing temps Easter weekend and the new growth died so they looked awful.  I used to do all the lawn work when DH was working (and my lawn and gardens looked stellar if I do say so myself) but we've had HOA lawn care for over 15 years.  Not as much attention to detail as I took in the old days!🙄

@Vict0rianngood luck with your biopsy this week.  I'm sure it will be just fine if your doctor said that.  We will keep you in our prayers!

@bennybearYep, a good deal is when both parties feel they got what they wanted.  We're looking forward to finally getting it home.

When @JazzyVmentioned having fish as a child, it made me reminisce about various pets when we were kids.  Dad and Mom wouldn't let us have a dog or cat, but we made up for it with parakeets, various small fish, and even the little turtles everyone had back in the 50's.  Our turtle once climbed out of its little turtle dish and then walked to the edge of the dresser it was placed on and fell off onto the carpet.  We had quite the time looking under all the furniture for him (or her).  Lol😂

• Like 17