Carnival might not require Covid vaccine.

14 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

I don’t get how you two always seem to try to find a way to make it irrelevant that cruising has been going off without a hitch for 8 months.

I never said it was irrelevant.  Just that you cannot do a direct comparison due to the various factors, especially the changing requirements about what was true then vs what is true now.  Although it looks similar, it is like comparing cricket to baseball.

I really hope cruising starts up, and all people can cruise - with enhanced protocols as required, of course.  But I'm experiencing interesting restrictions with my day-job regarding travel and vaccinations.  So the reality is that ports of call may have different expectations.

Back to the topic, wife and I are vaccinated.  We are ready to cruise again.  Kids are not vaccinated and won't be so that is a topic we are following.  Grandma is being vaccinated this coming week.  She was hesitant and don't trust it since her sister got really sick from it.  She saw my wife get it without any issues or symptoms so she is more confident.  I understand why people won't get it.  I respect that decision.  I just hope everyone, that can, does.  Only time will tell. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

You're avoiding the issue ..... Who is more likely to become infected with a severe case of covid possibly needing hospitalization thus causing a cruise disruption to all? A vaccinated person on unvaccinated? You and I both know the answer to that question based on what I told you a second ago about the situation at the hospital where I work. That should be a real concern yet could be almost eliminated with fully vaccinated cruises. 

Isn't it awesome that you have the choice to cruise on ships that require 100% vaccinations? And you also have the choice NOT to cruise on ships that do not require 100% vaccinations. 😉 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

You're avoiding the issue ..... Who is more likely to become infected with a severe case of covid possibly needing hospitalization thus causing a cruise disruption to all? A vaccinated person on unvaccinated? You and I both know the answer to that question based on what I told you a second ago about the situation at the hospital where I work. That should be a real concern yet could be almost eliminated with fully vaccinated cruises. 

I think you need to provide more details to draw any conclusions here. 

I suspect that a fully vaccinated 85 year, obese person remains more likely to be infected with a severe case of Covid than a non-vaccined 20 year old, healthy BMI.

If they really want to avoid any cases of "severe Covid", restricting people with the known comorbidities, is truly the best way forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiseracer said:

Isn't it awesome that you have the choice to cruise on ships that require 100% vaccinations? And you also have the choice NOT to cruise on ships that do not require 100% vaccinations. 😉 

Other than some cruises not from the usa, there really arent choices yet. No one is yet cruising from the usa nor do any have procedures out yet other than from caribbean.

Not exactly choice .. yet. 

4 hours ago, BrotherCraig said:

Back to the topic, wife and I are vaccinated.  We are ready to cruise again.  Kids are not vaccinated and won't be so that is a topic we are following.  Grandma is being vaccinated this coming week.  She was hesitant and don't trust it since her sister got really sick from it.  She saw my wife get it without any issues or symptoms so she is more confident.  I understand why people won't get it.  I respect that decision.  I just hope everyone, that can, does.  Only time will tell. 

Our family got the virus except for my grandson. We all pulled through. My son got it the worse. He will not get the vaccine. His thinking. I had the virus and I will be just fine now.. His choice as with others. My wife and I got the vaccine as did my daughter and her husband. I was hurting real bad for 3 days so was my daughter. Far outweighs the alternative. 

• Like 1

No longer can any cruise line having a port in Florida require any passenger to either be tested or show proof of a vaccination. Fine with me. I look at it this way. Those that take a cruise that are not vaccinated are looking to get it from others that are not vaccinated. Why chance it? Those that are vaccinated have a far better chance of not getting it again.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Our family got the virus except for my grandson. We all pulled through. My son got it the worse. He will not get the vaccine. His thinking. I had the virus and I will be just fine now.. His choice as with others. My wife and I got the vaccine as did my daughter and her husband. I was hurting real bad for 3 days so was my daughter. Far outweighs the alternative. 

My wife and I didn't have any symptoms at all from the vaccines so we are thankful for that.  Gets everyone differently.  We do have a few people at work that had COVID and they still haven't been the same.  Two of the three got their taste and smell back but every smell makes them sick.  Every food makes them sick.  They said every food smells like death.  The other person got most of their taste and smell back but it hasn't been the same.  His favorite food - pizza and bacon --- can't eat again.  He said it tastes and smells terrible to him.  Crazy crazy!  Glad I never got it.  Thankful. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

My wife and I didn't have any symptoms at all from the vaccines so we are thankful for that.  Gets everyone differently.  We do have a few people at work that had COVID and they still haven't been the same.  Two of the three got their taste and smell back but every smell makes them sick.  Every food makes them sick.  They said every food smells like death.  The other person got most of their taste and smell back but it hasn't been the same.  His favorite food - pizza and bacon --- can't eat again.  He said it tastes and smells terrible to him.  Crazy crazy!  Glad I never got it.  Thankful. 

I've read that people who have had covid tend to have a stronger reaction to the vaccine.  One guy I know who had covid and lost his sense of taste and smell also lost his sense of taste and smell for a few days after getting the vaccine.  Thankfully, he is back to normal.  It took several months after getting covid for the two people I know who lost their sense of taste and smell to get them back.

I'm also glad I never got covid.  I am not high risk, but also don't feel like getting sick for several weeks.  After the first dose, my husband and I only experienced a sore arm.  After the second dose, my husband only experienced a sore arm.  I got a slight headache that night and the chills.  This lasted through mid day the next day, but by that night I was back to normal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jfunk138 said:

I think you need to provide more details to draw any conclusions here. 

I suspect that a fully vaccinated 85 year, obese person remains more likely to be infected with a severe case of Covid than a non-vaccined 20 year old, healthy BMI.

If they really want to avoid any cases of "severe Covid", restricting people with the known comorbidities, is truly the best way forward.

Eliminating fat people from the cruises will be a bigger hit to Carnivals bottom line than the elimination of the anti vaxer  don't tread on me crowd.  If these boards are any indication the possibility of a vaccinated low BMI cruise is almost impossible.  For the record I am a high BMI person and am using the high obesity rates in the US and anecdotal evidence from past cruises.

47 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

My wife still has long hauler Covid symptoms.  She was always an avid walker pre covid now she has trouble walking upstairs.  Her mouth constantly tastes like an ash tray and she doesn't smoke.  She has brain fog to the point that she is transposing numbers forgetting our kids birthdays and once forgot how to get somewhere she drives all the time.  She is 43 years old so not exactly a seasoned citizen.  Long Hauler covid is scary and there is really no telling how many people have it because no one is really tracking it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BrotherCraig said:

My daughter lost her taste but it is all back. She is 100% now so are we all. No lingering problems. As you say. Guess everyone is different. Same with the flu vaccine. Still better than dying from it.

• Like 2

I get the flu vaccine yearly. one year I had the flu- bad, I mean BAD.  The docs told me that if it were not for the vaccine it could have been a lot worse. a lot worse. 

so, yes, as a teacher, I am vaccinated.  I would rather not die, or get horribly ill from Covid.  I know some feel different, but this is how I feel.

I am booked on MG for this winter. I want to be able to walk around without a mask, but I want to sail.  If I need to , fine- I have lovely masks. 

ok off my soap box. . 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, skridge said:

My wife still has long hauler Covid symptoms.  She was always an avid walker pre covid now she has trouble walking upstairs.  Her mouth constantly tastes like an ash tray and she doesn't smoke.  She has brain fog to the point that she is transposing numbers forgetting our kids birthdays and once forgot how to get somewhere she drives all the time.  She is 43 years old so not exactly a seasoned citizen.  Long Hauler covid is scary and there is really no telling how many people have it because no one is really tracking it.  

Horrible.  I hear a lot of these stories from friends and family.   It's crazy what the effects are.  Will pray for her and hope for a recovery.  Can't be easy.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mariketa said:

Exactly. I would bet dollars that a vaccinated cruise will have an outbreak (even if it's just a small portion), and it's going to be a PR nightmare.

My fear is there will be an outbreak and my Fall cruise will be cancelled. I hope I'm wrong. 🤞

1 hour ago, skridge said:

My Mom had Covid and it gave her brain fog.  Something that helped her was Pterostilbene.  She takes two 100mg capsules with bfast every day and it's made a big difference.  She ordered it on Amazon.  Just a thought, I hope that helps your wife.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

You are spreading fear because simply not being vaccinated is not proof that more ppl will be infected. You don't know the circumstances. Ppl can be taking preventative medicine. 

The only effective preventative medicine is one of the vaccines.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

It’s funny reading all the post when it really doesn’t matter. And I’ve been guilty of participating also. But the truth is if Carnival doesn’t require a vaccination you can either cruise or not. It’s everybody’s own choice. If they do require one everybody will either get one or not cruise. It’s just that simple. Either way I’m cruising and will not complain. 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, richstowe said:

Are Carnival customers different then the passengers on the other brands ? Would it make sense to have different vaccine requirements among the brands?

I know that some people here get all huffy when the topic comes up, saying that you can’t stereotype all customers of any particular cruise line, but the truth is that each cruise line caters to a particular demographic. When Carnival is pushing against vaccinations as a requirement, they are responding to their demographics. 

Would it make sense to have different vaccine requirements for each brand? I’ll answer by asking this question. What would you think of a longer Holland America cruise with a majority of cruisers being higher risk seniors, and who are all allowed to cruise unvaccinated? That to me sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. 

I think it makes sense to have different vaccination requirements based on the type of cruise and clientele.  

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tapi said:

I know that some people here get all huffy when the topic comes up, saying that you can’t stereotype all customers of any particular cruise line, but the truth is that each cruise line caters to a particular demographic. When Carnival is pushing against vaccinations as a requirement, they are responding to their demographics. 

Would it make sense to have different vaccine requirements for each brand? I’ll answer by asking this question. What would you think of l a longer Holland America cruise with a majority of cruisers being higher risk seniors, and who are all allowed to cruise unvaccinated? That to me sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. 

You make a great point.  A cruise line that sails with older passengers is definitely more at risk of someone having severe covid symptoms than one that sails with younger people.  80% of covid deaths are  in the 65 and older group. 2.7% are in the under 45 group.  Ships that sail with mostly older passengers need to take more precautions because, statistically, those ships are more at risk of a severe case.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Yes, Carnival customers are “different”. Go sail Princess, Holland, and Celebrity and the passenger demographics are way different .... While those on the other lines support the vaccines and any requirements to sail, Carnival knows their base will be full of conspiracy theorists, naysayers, anti-vaxxers and many many who will whine about a vaccine requirement which would be bad for their business. Different mentalities from different line demographics .....

And yet here you are on a Carnival forum complaining about Carnival cruisers. It's a good thing that you have different lines you can sail (when cruising actually starts) with Carnival guests being so bad. 

*Sorry Caroline, was quoting while you were locking/unlocking the thread.

Edited by d12j28
  • Like 3

On 5/18/2021 at 6:59 PM, Mariketa said:

I really dislike the term anti-vaxxer. Most of these people do in fact believe vaccinations work, have kids who are fully vaccinated, are fully vaccinated themselves, but simply want more time to pass and the trials to be over for this particular vaccine. It's really upsetting to see the level of vitriol aimed at folks who just want what they want out of any vaccine, for it to be out of trials. And, what happens if a vaccinated cruise has an outbreak? Will anyone apologize for the hate? Or will it be like the backlash Texas got when ending the mask mandate, with no apologies months later when our numbers continued to decline. We're not anti-vaxxers. We just want more data, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Because that is the climate these days - you're wrong, I'm right.  It is truly getting tired really.  I don't have a problem with folks not getting vaccinated, it was rushed out with very little testing.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Um, I sail Carnival but have no trouble accepting the truth and the reasons. Doesn’t hurt my feelings .... Why do you think Carnival might not require vaccines? Because they don’t believe in them or because their passengers will put up a stink? Answer is obvious and so what if it is? 

Unless you are in on the meetings with Carnival Corp on why they come up with decisions it is only your opinion. There's more to it than just potential customers putting up a stink. Some people are allergic to the vaccine, some had serious side affects, some (under 12) aren't even able to get the vaccine. Maybe Carnival didn't want to exclude those people from cruising. 

• Like 4