Looking at Constellation versus Silhouette

SbbquilterUT

Silhouette was revolutionized in Jan 2020 where Constellation was scheduled to be last year but that was cancelled.   If I had the choice and the rates were the same I'd pick Silhouette hands down.  Silhouette has the the Lawn Club Grill and the Porch specialty restaurants that many people like.

Constellation is a similar ship to the Summit which you had booked although Summit has had the Revolution updates.

• Like 2

I am one of those folks who doesn't have a strong preference between S- and M-class ships.  Both classes of ships have their strong and weak points.  For me itinerary is more important.  Do you find one itinerary more appealing than the other?

• Like 4

Cannot speak to the Constellation as our cruise in the Mediterranean was cancelled on her before we could sail, but we did sail the Silhouette just after she was revolutionized and before Covid shut the world down.  So all I can offer is that the Silhouette was beautiful and IMHO you would not regret sailing on her.  Loved the Lawn Club Grill and the Sky Lounge was still fully intact. 

• Like 1

Another point between these particular ships results from the 'revolution' changes:  Connie will be a little rundown but classy and the furnishings are very comfy;  Silhouette has been Hoppen-ized so there will be little storage and no comfortable place to sit.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Germancruiser said:

You can´t go wrong on either.

I agree.  

I was on the Constellation in the fall of 2019, and I thought the ship was in fine shape.

Previously, I had only sailed on S class ships and was very worried about what M class would be like. I was so pleasantly surprised, and would have no hesitation booking another M class cruise.

• Like 2

Hello,

Something I distinctly remember about Constellation was the amount of creaking and groaning it made in the night. I'm not referring to its passengers but the ship itself as it flexed whilst we sailed - Solstice class ships have not in my experience.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Another point between these particular ships results from the 'revolution' changes:  Connie will be a little rundown but classy and the furnishings are very comfy;  Silhouette has been Hoppen-ized so there will be little storage and no comfortable place to sit.

We sailed on the Silhouette after the Revolution ( 2 of the 3 sailings) and the Hoppen effect was minimized at least in the non-suite cabins.  There was no change to storage.  The biggest change I saw was a smaller table on the balcony.  The grass in the Sunset bar area was eliminated and more seating was added.  The enlarged seating area made the area much nicer for me.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

I am one of those folks who doesn't have a strong preference between S- and M-class ships.  Both classes of ships have their strong and weak points.  For me itinerary is more important.  Do you find one itinerary more appealing than the other?

I'm in agreement. When I'm on S-Class I miss some M-Class areas and the opposite is true. If you want a more up to date ship them go with Silhouette, but I've had some wonderful cruises on Constellation. 

Phil 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'd be interested to know when you were last on Constellation when it was a little run down?

Phil 

13 hours ago, SbbquilterUT said:

We need to book another cruise as our Summit TA's are cancelled.  Looking to use our FCC in the Caribbean in Jan/Feb on either the Silhouette or Constellation.  Any opinions on either ship would be helpful.  Thanks

We have cruised both the S and M class ships and like both.  The S class is about the most perfect design for a ship, but the M has fewer passengers and a great design.

We pick based on itinerary and price, not the ship.

• Like 1

Agree with everyone above, S class is my favorite design but I would easily take a cruise on an M class ship.  Constellation is one of my favorites out there.  I remember taking a few cruises off her from New Jersey back in the early 2000's with my parents.  I love the dining room and the layout of the ship.  If looking for more options, food etc would say S class is better overall.  Just wish they would put Murano in the M class ships and get rid of Le Petit Chef

4 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I'd be interested to know when you were last on Constellation when it was a little run down?

Phil 

2016.  We loved the Celebrity Suite, but the decor was tired.  Not really worn, but clearly living in another decade (or century).

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

2016.  We loved the Celebrity Suite, but the decor was tired.  Not really worn, but clearly living in another decade (or century).

Ok  A while ago. I guess what you meant to say was that you thought the ship was a little run down. That is a personal opinion (that I don't agree with). Saying the ship will be a little run down is stating fact and it's not fair to the op. 

I was on the ship in late 2018, early 2019 (in a humble inside cabin) and it certainly wasn't a little run down anywhere. They did a major refurb of her in 2017 I think.  

Phil 

I agree with all the ‘love both Classes’ comments and the OP has the pick of my favorite M-Class, the Constellation, and S-Class, Silhouette. Each Class has its positives.

The big positive of the Constellation is the Spa Pool. It’s large inside, very warm saltwater and has pipes formed into lounges on the side that you lay on and bubbles come up and it’s fantastic! We get SRs on deck 8 or 9 underneath it (no real noise) so we can zip up in the AM and relax in that pool. Adult only also unless bad wx restricts the outside pool use. The Constellation is also a bit quieter. S-Class ships have the band in the lower atrium and the music (great stuff!) is heard throughout the open area above. So I find that a bit off putting. 

I’d go into the positives of the Silhouette but most have done that and the OP is looking to lean towards the ‘Connie’.  And Tampa can be handier. For us, its much closer. 

Den

OP, your two choices are between my two favorite ships in the fleet.  What a lovely decision!  I'll be taking nice long TAs on each of them in 2022.  I like the ~2100 pax on the Connie, the quieter lounges, plus I'm a die-hard fan of the aft facing balcony cabins.  The Silhouette has the better restaurant selection (especially Lawn Club Grill) with ~2900 pax, 160 fewer than the similar Reflection.  I've never taken a cruise to/from Tampa before so this old dog is going to have to learn some new tricks.  I can't wait!

• Like 2

We are fans of the S class ships.  Have enjoyed cruises on the Summit many times, but the S class ships offer more.  If you have a choice, go for the S class ships.  We like them better then the Edge.  Our favorite S class ships are the Silhouette and Reflection.

16 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

I'll be taking nice long TAs on each of them in 2022. 

Which TA on the Silhouette in 2022?  We're booked on the Oct. WB out of Southampton.  If you are as well, please come over and join the Roll Call.