Raw Deal

auburn77

We booked (for our anniversary) an Alaskan cruise in February on the Emerald leaving Seattle 08/21/21 (Paid $400 deposit). We received lots of perks and a great cruise rate for a Club Class Mini Suite. About 2 weeks ago I received an email that the cruise was canceled and I would be moved to the Majestic leaving on the 22nd of Aug., if I wanted.

I called them and told them I wanted to sail on the Majestic and was given a Club Class cabin #. I was also told that my deposit would transfer, along with my deposit and my perks. The cruise rate would also be unchanged.

I received an email saying that my deposit was due by a certain date or my booking would be canceled. I called and was told to ignore it. Everything was set. The deposit I paid would transfer and I would receive an email with all the correct details asap. While I was out of town last week I checked on the cruise. My booking was canceled for non payment of deposit.

I immediately called and was told they made a mistake, but that my cabin was snatched up and there were no more Club Class available. They could move me to a non Club Class Mini Suite. I was on the phone with the rep for almost 2 hours. They offered a Specialty dinner and would put me on a waiting list. Whoopee!

We are Platinum on Carnival, but this is our first Princess cruise. What a way to start!

We normally book a balcony. I just wanted the Club Class for our anniversary.

Sorry to vent. At least we're cruising.

By the way, I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told they don't speak to people.

• Haha 1

Call them back. Be nice.

Remind them that they made the mistake, not you, so you don't feel that you should settle for a downgrade with a free specialty dinner thrown in.

Does one free dinner really make up for losing out on club class dining?

Tell them that an upgrade is the only way to go, either free or at a reduced cost.

You didn't make the mistake, they did.

Be nice.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

We were cancelled on another cruise for September 2021 on the Island Princess and offered the same cabin and cruise in 2022. I checked the cabin the same day and it was reserved.

I called princess and told them I would accept the offer same cabin same price no problem. They gave me that cabin same price as 2021.

I think they limited the amount of time to respond. That maybe why you didn’t get it.

57 minutes ago, gvre said:

We were cancelled on another cruise for September 2021 on the Island Princess and offered the same cabin and cruise in 2022. I checked the cabin the same day and it was reserved.

I called princess and told them I would accept the offer same cabin same price no problem. They gave me that cabin same price as 2021.

I think they limited the amount of time to respond. That maybe why you didn’t get it.

OP's post states otherwise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

Call them back. Be nice.

Remind them that they made the mistake, not you, so you don't feel that you should settle for a downgrade with a free specialty dinner thrown in.

Does one free dinner really make up for losing out on club class dining?

Tell them that an upgrade is the only way to go, either free or at a reduced cost.

You didn't make the mistake, they did.

Be nice.

@auburn77, I would ask to speak to Customer Relations.  You can also email them.  I agree with the above, but you need to escalate this.  I have never had an issue if I wanted to get to someone more senior at Princess.  Often, the phone agent will transfer the call, or contact them herself/himself.  You should be persistent and doesn't hurt to mention it was a special anniversary trip for you and it's not giving a good first impression for a company that trades off The Love Boat.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Think about the possibility of having  your booking transferred to 2022, same fare, same benefits. Find a 2022 cruise you are comfortable with before you call and one with the club class minis still available. Probably would have a better time in 2022 anyway. Then call Princess.

• Like 1

a 'mandatory move down' because of a Princess error ?? and all that is offered is a $ 29 pp specialty dinner ?? - what a slap in the face

request

50% of cruise fare paid in refundable OBC - then you can select your own balcony breakfast, specialty dinner(s) , ultimate balcony dinner, chef's table ... you get the idea

and throw in a ultimate ship tour as a bonus

• Like 3

6 hours ago, caribill said:
9 hours ago, Thrak said:

customerrelations@princesscruises.com

Send all details. Be polite.

Call. It might be weeks before they respond to an E-mail

@auburn77if you want a better email / phone number / contact person then I suggest Kimberly Baldwin at kbaldwin@princesscruises.com (i think here phone number is 1-661-753-0000x44411 but I'm not positive .... I've got so many #s now). She rapidly responded to all my emails. She's a customer service supervisor under csteinke@princesscruises.com (top dog)

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Think about the possibility of having  your booking transferred to 2022, same fare, same benefits. Find a 2022 cruise you are comfortable with before you call and one with the club class minis still available. Probably would have a better time in 2022 anyway. Then call Princess.

I think this is the best thing to do. The 2021 Alaska club minis and probably suites are probably all gone,  and this way you would at least get what you paid for. Sorry you're having all this grief. 

• Like 1

I dunno. If it was for a milestone anniversary, I might ask for another mini + specialty restaurant every night + bottle of champagne in room. Not quite the same as a club class but close. And there are several specialty restaurants to choose from (Bistro Sur la Mer, Harmony, Crown Grill, Lobster) over 7 nights

• Like 3

As others have stated, call back and be nice. There is no reason they can’t allow you to have the perks of club class while in a regular mini suite since they made such a huge error. All you would be doing is requesting what you had booked. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, auburn77 said:

We booked (for our anniversary) an Alaskan cruise in February on the Emerald leaving Seattle 08/21/21 (Paid $400 deposit). We received lots of perks and a great cruise rate for a Club Class Mini Suite. About 2 weeks ago I received an email that the cruise was canceled and I would be moved to the Majestic leaving on the 22nd of Aug., if I wanted.

I called them and told them I wanted to sail on the Majestic and was given a Club Class cabin #. I was also told that my deposit would transfer, along with my deposit and my perks. The cruise rate would also be unchanged.

I received an email saying that my deposit was due by a certain date or my booking would be canceled. I called and was told to ignore it. Everything was set. The deposit I paid would transfer and I would receive an email with all the correct details asap. While I was out of town last week I checked on the cruise. My booking was canceled for non payment of deposit.

I immediately called and was told they made a mistake, but that my cabin was snatched up and there were no more Club Class available. They could move me to a non Club Class Mini Suite. I was on the phone with the rep for almost 2 hours. They offered a Specialty dinner and would put me on a waiting list. Whoopee!

We are Platinum on Carnival, but this is our first Princess cruise. What a way to start!

By the way, I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told they don't speak to people.

Ask to speak to the resolutions department. At least that is what they used to call it. I ended up working through them one time when my booked room was taken out of service two days before a cruise.

4 minutes ago, nocl said:

Ask to speak to the resolutions department. At least that is what they used to call it. I ended up working through them one time when my booked room was taken out of service two days before a cruise.

Curious...what did they do for you?

1 minute ago, maggie777 said:

Curious...what did they do for you?

Was on the Pacific Princess in Tahiti. Booked an inside. they took that room for one of the visiting entertainers. They tried to give me the room where they normally put them, an obstructed ocean view, which on the Pacific are smaller rooms. Resolutions department got me a balcony overlooking the bow. 

They got involved because I called Princess immediately when I got notification of the "upgrade" even though my reservation was marked do not upgrade. and they were unable to return me to my original room because it had been "removed from inventory" which I later learned was because one of they guest entertainers was bringing teir wife along and wanted a larger room than the obstructed ocean view that they were normally in.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

a 'mandatory move down' because of a Princess error ?? and all that is offered is a $ 29 pp specialty dinner ?? - what a slap in the face

request

50% of cruise fare paid in refundable OBC - then you can select your own balcony breakfast, specialty dinner(s) , ultimate balcony dinner, chef's table ... you get the idea

and throw in a ultimate ship tour as a bonus

Yes!!!

I would cancel for a full refund otherwise. 
adding: I love Princess but can highly recommend Celebrity cruises. 

Edited by dog

16 hours ago, auburn77 said:

We were on the same ship, same sail date.  We received the same email asking if we wanted to be transferred to the majestic on the 22nd.  We said yes, move everything over.  We also got the warning to pay by a certain date or be cancelled.  The only difference was our planner stated to please call back if nothing was done by one day before the cancellation date.  Sure enough, nothing was done and we called back and they extended the cancelation date to July 15th.  We're still waiting on them to move all payments and perks.  You can bet we are watching that next cancellation date.  I hope it all works out for you. 

Mike and Paulia

West Texas

• Like 3

15 hours ago, gvre said:

I responded immediately and received my new ship's cabin number.

2 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

As others have stated, call back and be nice. There is no reason they can’t allow you to have the perks of club class while in a regular mini suite since they made such a huge error. All you would be doing is requesting what you had booked. 

I was as nice as I could be. The woman helping me was very sympathetic. I asked for the club class benefits with the new mini suite, but they said they couldn't do it.

3 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Yes  add another table in the club or use one right outside. 

26 minutes ago, dickinson said:

I would call and ask for customer relations.  I don't know if they are open today but even if they are I would wait until Monday.

call today - if you don't get the answer you want ... call back tomorrow and get a different rep or ask that the situation be escalated above customer relations - believe me, 'customer relations' is not the ultimate decision maker

• Like 1