The Daily for Saturday July 24, 2021

richwmn

North to Alaska

Bon Voyage to those leaving Seattle today for the first post pandemic cruise on Holland America Line!

Today is Amelia Earhart Day, Cousins Day, and National Day of the Cowboy

Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th. -- Julie Andrews

Meal suggestion for today - One Pot Chicken and Mushroom Orzo

Drink of the Day - Chi-Chi

Wine of the day - M by Michael Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon - California

Destination of the Day - Kristiansand Norway

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Statendam Destination Great Stirrup Cay

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 7/25
Zuiderdam Destination San Pedro eta today

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Noordam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Seattle
Nieuw Amsterdam 00:00 - 16:00

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0724Europe.thumb.png.9df36970ce30ec3170ec44a88d441957.png

0724USA.thumb.png.9ffe76a1477a38b1dd2a42e07a6822d0.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Sailaway Daily, Rich.  A great collection of days and a salute to all of them.  Kristiansand is another port I haven't visited.  I love the Julie Andrews quote.  The meal suggestion sounds nice although I would likely hold the mushrooms.  My alternative is Caesar Salad, Pasta Parcel with Zucchini Ribbons, and Topfen Palatcchinken, my Mariner Brunch on my July, 2011 first voyage on MS Prinsendam.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU(Hopefully almost ready to leave)
Cruising Along’s cousin with kidney transplant difficulties
DurangoScots shelter manager in hospital (but out of ICU}
Cruising-along’s friend with breakthrough Covid
bennybear DSIL infection
JazzyV recovering from eye surgery
Ger_77's friend facing mastectomy
From the rotation:
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery
Tana starting to deal with Pulmonary Fibrosis

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Bon Voyage Nieuw Amsterdam
Front Line Health Care Workers
Dismomx5 on Grandma Duty
A dream job for HorizonChaser1957's DD
Great Oncologist report for USN59-79
Cruising-Along’s grandsons visiting
Second jab for Victoriann’s Gander DD and fully vaccinated for BC DD
StlouisCruiser talking to DMIL on birthday
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
Denise on her wilderness adventure
Pain relief for Summer Slope’s shingles
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

Bon Voyage to all sailing today!

Great quote from a great woman.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.  Hope the wine and drink of the day are good too.

I hope there are lots of pictures of the port of the day.  Norway is beautiful.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a great Saturday.  Stay safe.

• Like 22

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our special Saturday Sail a way Smile 🙂 

Great collection of days.  Amelia Earhart is someone to be admired and I will happily celebrate my cousins.

E9B74E21-A9F9-4144-A4BD-67A8F1C1F7A8.png.8b8ad996f701d3ee39fd4fd3aa9618e9.png

For me, and I think a lot of us, today is special for HAL’s first sailing in so long.  Wishing a Bon Voyage to everyone on board 🚢 🥂 

A6621D5A-325E-470D-B7F7-E3F1CFEE39A7.jpeg.22372afa4af8ba781b8571dc590b7f23.jpeg

Love the quote by Julie Andrews and the meal suggestion is a good one!

We had our new sod put in yesterday.  It’s rained every day endlessly until now and of course, now, nothing.    It figures. 😬 

We won’t get to Norway until next year so I’m looking forward to the pictures today.

75B9ADEB-3375-4FC9-82A0-D51788B86152.jpeg.e5672043b74e5b677234c198be4da50d.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone!  I know those sailing on the N Amsterdam are 😉 

91CB4766-2BE1-4516-A325-B6F643E099ED.gif.5121de51fa316f522d1a72fa9f6bbfca.gif

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 34
  • Haha 1

Good morning, everyone!

We are getting a light rain this morning.  It is needed at this point, but hopefully will clear up.  A salute to Amelia Earhart and my cousins!   I liked to be a cowgirl when I was little.  I remember I had the whole Annie Oakley outfit:  hat, vest, fringed skirt, boots, holster and six shooters.  My mom would fix my hair in braided pigtails and I was set to go!  I also had a Queen for a Day outfit, but that is another day.

I am really looking forward to any information about today's port.  If next year's Norway cruise sails, we will visit Kristiansand.  The third time is the charm!

Today's meal looks good.  A few too many carbs for me, but if I tinker with it enough, I could come up with something similar.   https://damndelicious.net/2020/08/17/one-pot-chicken-and-mushroom-orzo/

1013550066_One-Pot-Chicken-and-Mushroom-OrzoIMG_1285(1).thumb.jpg.eced8e1b2be7ea8070a7e56758efcc73.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning All, thanks for the daily report.  Wishing everyone who sets sail today a safe and fun filled cruise.  I’ll be watching for updates as the week progresses.  This weekend I’ll be doing the hardest part of getting ready for vacation, making the house look nice for the pet sitter.🤣 Today’s dinner will ham, sweet potatoes and fresh string beans from the garden.

image.thumb.png.9c46d012edd3bd600a3db40773df77b5.png

Edited by Crazy For Cats
Added picture
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily. How fitting is it to celebrate Amelia Earhart on the day that HAL is launching its first cruise after the pandemic. The beginning of new explorations.

The Julie Andrews quote is great. The meal suggestions sounds wonderful.

A lot of us will be following Lisa's blog and feel the excitment of cruising again.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 18

Good  morning  to  all. I  add  my  thanks  to  Debbie @dfish,for  the  recipe. I  just  need  some  mushrooms  and  that  will  be  dinner  tonight. I  salute  my  cousins  and  Amelia Earhart. I  will  salute  cowboys  as  well  but  I  am  afraid  the  only  one  I  ever  saw  in  person  is  the  "Naked  Cowboy" in  Times  Square. I  wonder  if  he  is  back  on  his  corner.

The  Julie  Andrew  quote is  a  good  one I  look  forward  to  pictures  of  the  port in  Norway.

@USN59-79, I  hope  you  had  a  wonderful  celebration  yesterday  of  your  good  news  from  the  oncologist. It  is  great  to  hear  good  news  from  those  particular  Docs.

@StLouisCruisers, the  birthday  party  and  phone  call  yesterday  sounded  so  festive! I  am  sure,  in  some  way  it  was  appreciated. Who  can  resist  chocolate  cake?

We  learned  last  night  that  our  Miss  Camilla  will  remain in  the  NICU  for  a  few  more  days.  The  lowered  heart  rate  is  again  a  factor  and  it  manifested  itself several  times  yesterday  afternoon. The  family  is  upset  of  course  but  relieved  she  is  where  she  can  be  managed  medically. My  DDIL is  trying  to  find  out  from  my  niece  what  the  Docs  have  said. She  is  a  physician  herself and  wonders  about  causative  factors. We  don't  want  to  add  to  their  stress  but  don't  understand  why  this  keeps  going  on.

More  locally, our Tana  is  back  in  the  hospital  with  another  episode  of  respiratory  difficulties. Her  son  slept  on  our  side  of  the  house  last  night because  their  dog  came  with  him. My  dog  loves  visitors  and  most  other  dogs  so  we  have  a  very  active  household  for  a  change.

Anyway, we  will wish  the  cruisers  in  Seattle  a  big  Bon  Voyage  and  hope  all  goes  well. It  is  very  exciting!

Terry

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Bon Voyage to the travelers leaving Seattle today.  So excited to read the reports.  Thank you Rich and Roy for your lists.  Debbie, today's meal looks so yummy.  Would love to know what really happened to Amelia Earhart.  Although my father was one of 10 DM and I left the state when I was young and I only met one Cousin in later years.  Like @dfishI had the whole Cowgirl outfit when I was young.  I so agree with Julie Andrews.  I think too many people quit after failing once.  Excited to see the photo's of Norway.

Hugs and virtual hugs to our care list.  Toasts to our celebrations.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Chi-Chi:

SERVES: 2
3 ounces vodka
4 ounces pineapple juice
2 ounces cream of coconut
1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar (or more)
1 cup crushed ice
2 slices pineapple, speared with
2 maraschino cherries, on toothpicks, for garnish
DIRECTIONS
Into a blender, combine the vodka, pineapple juice, cream of coconut, sugar, and ice. Blend on high speed until frothy and well combined, about 30 seconds.
Pour into 2 chilled Collins glasses, and garnish with the pineapple slices and umbrellas.
Serve immediately.

Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 7.36.44 AM.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

@smitty34877 sorry to hear that Miss Camilla has to stay in the NICU for a few more days 😔 Disappointing but she is in good hands.

And sorry to hear about Tana’s difficulties.  Bless you for taking care of her son and dog ♥️ You are going to have a very active household, indeed 😉 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone, thanks for today’s report.  Cheers to Amelia Erhart today, feels like it could be the start of an adventure.  I’ll have to reach out to a couple cousins who I really like. I think that I might watch a Western this afternoon to honor cowboys.  Love the quote today by Julie Andrews.  I think that it’s bunless burgers tonight so a pass on the dinner suggestion.  We had the brown butter scallops for dinner last evening, very tasty.  Although if I had known in advance that the were $25/lb I might have chosen something else.  Prayers to all on our list and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event!  Look forward to the photos of today’s port.

• Like 17

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I am one of 39 first cousins. My Grandpa used to host 4th of July celebrations at his farm and give all the kids cap guns. Ahhh, the noise!
Happy First Cruise of the Year Day - to the Niew Amsterdam, it’s crew and all the lucky passengers!

Thank you for our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family! @Seasick Sailor, Joy I am doing ok. But let’s just say a cast is a lot more comfortable in Iceland’s climate. 

Today is my first social outing since getting back. The ladies I traveled to Iceland with and I are getting together to wrap up finances. We all took turns paying for things, and now need to see how close we are to being even.  With wine, of course. I will have to stick to one glass, but it is still wine.😎

Prayers for all who need our support. (C’mon Miss Camilla!). Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

M by Michael Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon

It has been awhile since we had a pricey wine. This sounds amazing, however it is way out of my price range. But the critics love it. Lots on online distributors - the cheapest price I found was $155.90!😱

Winemaker Notes

Aromas of fresh, French plum with notes of roasted hazelnut are at the core of the bouquet. On the palate, the medium body and soft textures mingle with delicate and refined flavors of dark red fruits and orchard blossoms to offer a seamless finish to this elegant and opulent wine.

JS95 James Suckling: This is extremely well-crafted with very fine tannins and beautiful fruit. Full body, extremely harmonious and polished. A beautiful wine for the vintage. Classy. Drink or hold.

WE94 Wine Enthusiast: This is a powerfully built, age-worthy wine, robustly concentrated and dense in elements of tobacco, gunpowder, turned earth and leather. Sizable tannins give it additional weight and breadth, as well as structure: a sign of the vintage as well as site. Best 2025–2030.
Cellar Selection 
WW94 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com: The 2016 M by Michael Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon is a masterful wine. TASTING NOTES: This wine has everyone one would want in a high-class, ultra-premium Napa red wine. Its classic black fruit and complementary oak accents in the aromas and flavors are lasting and appealing.

WS92 Wine Spectator: Quite ripe, featuring showy raspberry puree and blackberry notes melded with melted licorice details and ending with a polished finish. Drink now through 2025.

• Like 26

Good morning everyone. I just got back from spending 2 weeks with my sister in TX. She is doing amazingly well, and we are all hoping for great reports from the M D Anderson Drs after her post-op appointment on Friday. Thank you all again for your thoughts, prayers, and well-wishes. 

Love all the “Days” today, especially Cousins Day. It brought to mind some very special days with our grandchildren. Every year when they were younger we got all 4 grandchildren together for one to two weeks and had Cousins Camp.

No parents allowed!  What fun days!!

Prayers and Shout-outs for those on our lists. 
LOVE the picture of the “We R Back” HAL ship!!

• Like 22

5 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning everyone, thanks for today’s report.  Cheers to Amelia Erhart today, feels like it could be the start of an adventure.  I’ll have to reach out to a couple cousins who I really like. I think that I might watch a Western this afternoon to honor cowboys.  Love the quote today by Julie Andrews.  I think that it’s bunless burgers tonight so a pass on the dinner suggestion.  We had the brown butter scallops for dinner last evening, very tasty.  Although if I had known in advance that the were $25/lb I might have chosen something else.  Prayers to all on our list and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event!  Look forward to the photos of today’s port.

Mr. Boston do you have an Aldi near you? If so check out their frozen seafood section. Mine has gorgeous white frozen scallops for $12.99! And they are amazing. I thaw them the night before I cook them. Then I put them between too kitchen towels to absorb all the extra moisture before I cook them.  I still can’t believe how delicious they are. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Wow!  Today is a busy day here on the Daily!  Good Morning to all!  A foggy day here for some reason.  High humidity I guess.  First of all I want to wish our NA cruisers a big bon voyage today.  I can't wait to read Lisa's blog entries.  Cheers to Amelia Earhart Day, National Day of the Cowboy, and Cousins Day.  Love the quote by Julie Andrews as it is so true.  Thanks to Rich for the wonderful Daily.  Thanks also to Roy for the super lists.  Have you noticed how long the list of celebrations and shout outs is?  I send my prayers to those on the care list, and my congrats to those celebrating good news.  Again, thanks to Jacqui for her funny memes.  The GPS one is so funny!

Appropriately today my DGD who will be 19 in two days, is on a long weekend trip to St. Louis to meet one of her cousins who is as crazy about scuba diving and the ocean as she is.  My DD was talking with the St. Louis cousin at my sister's funeral and told her Morgan would love to know more about your diving adventures.  So the two cousins have been in touch and are now visiting.  They have quite a lot in common but due to distances didn't connect often.  That has all changed.  While in St. Louis Morgan will visit with her godmother.  She can't visit with her 95 year old Great Mimi due to Covid restrictions at the nursing home.  It's nice to see the cousin connection strengthening.

In 2016 on our Prinsendam "Greatest Norway Cruise Ever" we stopped in Kristiansand.  Weather can make or break a port stop and this day was a wet one.  At first it was sprinkles so we donned our rain coats and headed out to see another beautiful Norwegian town.  We had determined this day would be a walk around day and didn't schedule a tour.  If you are planning to go there you might look into what is available to tour.  

It was sort of desolate at first.  I don't know where everybody was that day.  We walked towards a beach area on our little map.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI22bGqj_BMxx4G2R2ZLwO7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKtsES5gnxB-dE5NF33gV_7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLNrqg2JWNnrYA6vUCDTOmV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIeFJUTzskqzZWSrCI-ZJ-e?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

At the beach area is where the Christiansholm Fortress, circa 1672, is located.  There's a small park nearby.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL9koqcPl-61w87oEbd_H0W?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLSACP75KXhce0C1UsPU0wz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKC5rItRKxPV4gxzytK0APQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLsBB167sIEYiI22LvsHzD-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIebJEvz010DfE2xfL_Lhfe?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

We decided to head to the downtown area to see if anything was happening there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLTczzoAiwkTM1lbCvLHX2b?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

We found an area called Prosebyen which is what's left of Kristiansand's old town.  One feature of the neighborhood is small white, single-story wooden houses filling nearly every block.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL1jz9GK45SsagTfiNufymL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL44CL7h9DDakvagT-SaYTu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLe2GXsFS9Irhz64S57PvTM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Whoa!  There was a rebel living on this street!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJKq3x-i3oJbtUTa9-oHIwS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Here we are getting downtown.   .00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJsXTWKX4A5soMNkrFHy5jd?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

This is a pedestrian shopping area called Markens Gate00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLziDHR57wQsqw9WELfhmyp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Unfortunately it was raining harder now.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIQP4w5yvxrJKz3CvU6Nwxr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIn2FYUFzncNSpJUWkfuFTy?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKNHjvg7dUtMR4K-PlJ6WfD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

This was the Kristiansand Cathedral, third largest in Norway.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKthBnONrLHolHj3X7jenLw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

We had to head back to the ship because of the rain, and change clothes for lunch as our legs were drenched.  In the future I would learn to wear waterproof pants over my jeans to keep me dry.  We went to lunch in the dining room and watched the rain come down sideways outside.  It had turned into a completely miserable day outside.  But lunch was great!!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_zwJm6ZfhG_JAPbqhueKm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

We're scheduled to return to Kristiansand on Island Princess next year if all works out okay, but that cruise has been cancelled once or twice already.  I hope our next stop there is bright and sunny so we can have a completely different experience.  

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 30

Good morning everyone.Yesterday Sam went to the VA where they repaired his hearing aids and ordered him a new pair.

Im really excited to follow along with Lisa, my favorite cruise TA on her exciting voyage on the NA.We we’re on that ship a few years ago when we tagged along on our friend’s honeymoon.

Have a great and safe day, all.

Carol

• Like 21

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our special Saturday Sail a way Smile 🙂 

Great collection of days.  Amelia Earhart is someone to be admired and I will happily celebrate my cousins.

E9B74E21-A9F9-4144-A4BD-67A8F1C1F7A8.png.8b8ad996f701d3ee39fd4fd3aa9618e9.png

For me, and I think a lot of us, today is special for HAL’s first sailing in so long.  Wishing a Bon Voyage to everyone on board 🚢 🥂 

A6621D5A-325E-470D-B7F7-E3F1CFEE39A7.jpeg.22372afa4af8ba781b8571dc590b7f23.jpeg

Love the quote by Julie Andrews and the meal suggestion is a good one!

We had our new sod put in yesterday.  It’s rained every day endlessly until now and of course, now, nothing.    It figures. 😬 

We won’t get to Norway until next year so I’m looking forward to the pictures today.

75B9ADEB-3375-4FC9-82A0-D51788B86152.jpeg.e5672043b74e5b677234c198be4da50d.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone!  I know those sailing on the N Amsterdam are 😉 

91CB4766-2BE1-4516-A325-B6F643E099ED.gif.5121de51fa316f522d1a72fa9f6bbfca.gif

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

Some great contributions. Love the GPS cemetery and the Bon Voyage! Good finds!  👍🏻

• Like 8