The Daily for Sunday July 25, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Lovely photos and nice cabin Joy.

Sorry to hear Allen had heatstroke during your cruise.

I hope he was allowed to continue the cruise after his hospital visit.

Graham 

@grapau27 and @Sharon in AZ

No, we could not continue. We were in hospital 3 days and literally "missed the boat"! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. A salute to culinarians and parents. I've never had a chili dog. Excellent quote.

I like the meal, drink and wine. Also Roy's meal sounds tasty.

I have cruised the Panama Canal, although on NCL. We did not disembark in Gatun Lake. My last cruise before the shutdown.

It's hot and humid here today, with perhaps scattered showers. Not doing too much today.

@smitty34877 So sorry Tana is struggling. Prayers.

@cat shepard Thank you for the Iceland pictures!

@dfish I make a Carolina pulled pork that has a vinegar based sauce, to make it more low carb.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

A few pictures.

Going through Cocoli locks.

1406793741_027-11_14.19ViewfromBridgecamfirstdoorofCocolilockopeningPanamaCanal.thumb.jpg.f6c1f72956abb6311b852142253c443c.jpg

Entering Gatun LakeAgua

1853546254_063-11_14.19GatunLakePanamaCanal.thumb.jpg.59f6b44f363b6a85c05591f0b3406620.jpg

In the Agua Clara locks

1461137054_105-11_14.19WallclosingbehindusAguaClaraLocksPanamaCanal.thumb.jpg.8adae02f2eb5e9c0256795b02cfb12e8.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. A salute to culinarians and parents. I've never had a chili dog. Excellent quote.

I like the meal, drink and wine. Also Roy's meal sounds tasty.

I have cruised the Panama Canal, although on NCL. We did not disembark in Gatun Lake. My last cruise before the shutdown.

It's hot and humid here today, with perhaps scattered showers. Not doing too much today.

@smitty34877 So sorry Tana is struggling. Prayers.

@cat shepard Thank you for the Iceland pictures!

@dfish I make a Carolina pulled pork that has a vinegar based sauce, to make it more low carb.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

A few pictures.

Going through Cocoli locks.

1406793741_027-11_14.19ViewfromBridgecamfirstdoorofCocolilockopeningPanamaCanal.thumb.jpg.f6c1f72956abb6311b852142253c443c.jpg

Entering Gatun LakeAgua

1853546254_063-11_14.19GatunLakePanamaCanal.thumb.jpg.59f6b44f363b6a85c05591f0b3406620.jpg

In the Agua Clara locks

1461137054_105-11_14.19WallclosingbehindusAguaClaraLocksPanamaCanal.thumb.jpg.8adae02f2eb5e9c0256795b02cfb12e8.jpg

What ship was that?  You went through the new locks.

Roy

• Like 4

10 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you to the Sunday Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on the Chili Dog but salute Culinarians and especially parents (Mom died just over 20 years ago). I love the Cheryl Stayed quote.  Gatun Lake and the Panama Canal are great.  Mostly with Crystal but the last time was on the Elegant Explorer.  The meal suggestion sounds great.  My alternative is Citrus Delight with Amaretto, Chilled Anjou Pear Soup and Penne Pasta with Grilled Chicken Breast, my first ever dinner on the Elegant Explorer, 10 years ago today.

Today’s care list:

RIP FF Thomas Royds last alarm 7/24/21
Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU(but gaining strength)
DurangoScots shelter manager in hospital (but out of ICU}
Cruising-along’s friend with breakthrough Covid
bennybear DSIL infection
JazzyV recovering from eye surgery
Ger_77's friend facing mastectomy
From the rotation:
Kakalina undergoing radiation for aggressive cancer
Tana back in the hospital

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Nieuw Amsterdam at sea with guests
Front Line Health Care Workers
Dismomx5 on Grandma Duty
wandb’s sister doing well
Aliaschief booked August 7
One week countdown for CrazyForCats
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
Quartzite cruiser visit from DD
Cruising Along’s cousin’a transplanted kidney working
Denise on her wilderness adventure
Pain relief for Summer Slope’s shingles
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Prayers for FF Thomas Royds family and friends who you mentioned on your care list Roy who has sadly passed away yesterday.

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I was on the Maasdam Apr 2000 for a full transit (“old” locks) of the Panama Canal. No digital pics. 🙁 One day I want to go through the new locks. 🤞

During this lockdown, I’ve had to get more creative with meals. I appreciate the recipes here 🙂 and I also found The Stay at Home Chef. Not that I would call myself a culinarian, but I was getting bored of my same ol’ meals. 😐

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

From our 2017 west-bound canal transit -

Entering Gatun Lake from the Gatun Locks-

202019381_DSC_0670(2).thumb.JPG.830d4a71389006a2fb727264a276ddec.JPG

The dam that forms Gatun Lake -

DSC_0681.thumb.JPG.eb113e320e418b16503225a36eac3fdf.JPG

Ships at anchor in Gatun Lake -

980451397_DSC_0700(2).thumb.JPG.549fe108362869a315d28820f432a750.JPG

Looking forward for a full transient on our Nieuw Amsterdam San Diego to Fort Lauderdale this October! Thanks for sharing your pics.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

What ship was that?  You went through the new locks.

Roy

It was the NCL Bliss and yes we went through the new locks. I think it was the biggest ship to transit the new Canal when it first did a canal trip in 2018.

The 168,028-ton Norwegian Bliss enters a lock at the Panama Canal on May 14, 2018. It is the largest cruise ship ever to transit the Panama Canal.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lindaler said:

Thanks Rich and all that contribute. My last cruise was on the Rotterdam through the Panama Canal. I think it was the last time any ship went through the canal with passengers.  I’ve been through the canal before and tried to take pictures of the locks opening and closing but they are so massive it didn’t photograph well. This time I was with my son and granddaughter. I love that cruise. I just enjoyed the view and the company. If I had known when we were passing through that it would be the last time for a long time I may have savored it more. 

I don't think that was the last time a ship went through with passengers.  You were followed by the Rotterdam and Zaandam in convoy, late at night, not a pleasant trip but I suspect Rotterdam's assistance to the Zaandam saved a number of lives.

Roy

• Like 9

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Question. Do men need to wear long pants 👖 in the MDR for breakfast?

I’ve worn capris before but never shorts. However it really depends on the destination and the weather and how short your shorts are, IYKWIM. 

But, sorry, I miss read your message so as to your question about men, DH always wears shorts to the MDR for breakfast. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 5

Good afternoon from a hot central Texas.  We reached 100F this afternoon for the first time this summer.

We enjoyed our visit with our older DD and our DSIL.  They left about two hours ago, and after even only a short visit, the house seems too quiet and empty.  I guess that's why we are called empty nesters.

We will celebrate Culinaryians Day and parents day.  Our parents are no longer living, but we celebrate them and miss them.  I guess we did a good job as parents since we have two lovely, successful DDs, not to mention their guys.  We will celebrate chili dog day tomorrow.  Today we had more of the pulled pork shoulder I smoked yesterday along with potato salad and key lime pie.  

Every so often, I will hit a spell where I don't want to cook, but then I get back in the swing of things.  I guess it's good I like to cook, and when I do, I try to make enough for a one or two more meals, so I don't have to cook everyday.

The quote is interesting.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine, though DH might like the wine.

@richwmn  Rich, I like the idea of separating the "idle" ships from those with passengers, and I agree they should be at the top of the list.  @rafinmd Roy, thanks for the celebration shout out.  It is always a celebraton when we can see either DD.

As far as we can tell, we have been through the Panama Canal at least 15 times, all full transists.  I am not going to post any pictures, since I posted quite a few on the previous to "visis" to the canal.  All I would be doing  would be duplicating all the great pictures already posted today.

We did not get to see the Nieuw Amsterdam sail away as we were having too good a time visiting with the "kids".  I hope all on the NA cruise have a great week.

@smitty34877  I hope the doctors can help Tana so she can go home soon.  

@VintageGeo  I agree that any day starting with Panama rolls can't be bad.  We make them our breaskfast when they are available.

@cat shepard  I enjoyed your report on your trip and am looking forward to the next chapter.

@mamaofami  Carol, birthday wishes for your DD and your DSIL.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to Rich and Roy and everyone else for your work for this site.

Haven't had a chili dog in ages, but I do like them.  Also enjoy pulled pork, and leftovers are delicious on a pizza.

Thanks for all the Panama Canal pictures.  Have done the full transit twice, and partial once.  Will do it again on our next cruise.

Will celebrate parents today. Would have been my mum's 104th birthday today.

Prayers headed to all those who need them.  

• Like 11

31 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I agree that any day starting with Panama rolls can't be bad.  We make them our breaskfast when they are available.

We will admit to having "multiples"...but, who's counting? 🤫

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I love this!  And I love your DH’s humor. I agree about being tired of playing chef. I feel like all I do is think about what our next meal is going to be. 

Me at breakfast, to DH: I know we haven’t finished breakfast, but what do you want for dinner?

St Louis Sal

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Jacqui, yes. Their little heads are in the "bee proof ports" and you only see their butts..

Apparently they didn’t get the memo about the bee proof ports.  And now they are showing off their best side. 😂

St Louis Sal

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Good evening here in WA state.  Almost Monday for the east coast friends.

I have read most of the posts and appreciated all the pictures.  We have been thru the Panama canal once and will hopefully do so again in March 2022 on the Westerdam.  

Enjoying all the news from the NA.  So thrilled for those on that cruise. 

Thanks Roy and Rich for all the lists and prayers and cheers.

It is a lot of work and well appreciated.  

We are back in Vancouver starting our week of being the "bus" for the grands summer school session.  We will be done by the last week in August and they if all goes well, will be on the Eurodam on Sept. 12.  We received our boarding passes today.  Almost surreal to get them.

Stay well and safe everyone.  I am still wearing my mask in some places even though fully vaccinated.  Just don't want to risk anything.  A very close friend who is fully vaccinated had a break thru case of covid this past week.  He is doing ok.  Some muscle aches and pains  and has no sense of taste but otherwise  all right. I feel if he can get is as careful as he has been, anyone can.  

Sure enjoy this daily.  Appreciate you all.

☺️

• Like 9

Thanks to Rich for the Daily, to Roy for the Care and Celebration lists, and to everyone for making this such a special thread each day.

Our 28 day Panama Canal cruise, (San Diego to Fort Lauderdale, return to San Diego) on the Statendam was a memorable experience, would be great to repeat, but unlikely that will happen  Thank you to those who posted photos ........... brings back good memories.

Today we have had occasional brief rain showers, temperature 12 C.

Take care everyone.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thanks to Rich for the Daily, to Roy for the Care and Celebration lists, and to everyone for making this such a special thread each day.

Our 28 day Panama Canal cruise, (San Diego to Fort Lauderdale, return to San Diego) on the Statendam was a memorable experience, would be great to repeat, but unlikely that will happen  Thank you to those who posted photos ........... brings back good memories.

Today we have had occasional brief rain showers, temperature 12 C.

Take care everyone.

Just a hello to our Australian friends.Hope all is well?

Bruce &,Susan

• Like 4

4 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Just a hello to our Australian friends.Hope all is well?

Bruce &,Susan

Hello to you from New Zealand, all is well with us. 

We were pleased to meet  you both in Akaroa, how time flies by.

I see  you have booked a cruise for August, and will meet John and his wife, we felt quite spoilt when he invited us to visit him on board the Amsterdam in Picton.  You will all have a wonderful cruise.

Will you do review of your cruise here on CC?

• Like 3

19 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Please do not spray, Joy. We need EVERY bee.

Call animal/bee control (I am making up bee control) or a local bee keeper to help. Might even have someone in your County.  

Do you have a neighborhood website where you can post this question? I have a Nextdoor app, but not sure if that is available outside of Florida. 

We have a good growth of Golden Rods and when they flower every flower has a honey bee 🐝 on.

Graham.

16273030276034450416775723122057.jpg

IMG_20210726_133431.jpg

• Like 4