Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Trieste IT
Rotterdam

0819Europe.thumb.png.8096c36da9c1506d9bed9760923f3c92.png

0819Alaska.thumb.png.369986525bf817a8328099ae1d06b92f.png

0819USA.thumb.png.10871f139681e10d00bedcf57182f800.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and thank you for the Daily Report.

Love potatoes - mashed, fried, baked or scalloped.  Yum!

Interesting quote, I enjoy listening to Mr Armstrong play.

The meal suggestion sounds good.

I guess the drink of the day is appropriate for Aviation Day.  Well done.  Hope the wine is good too.

It's been a while since we have been to Halifax.  Years ago we drove a motor home to Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick.  I think we'll do that again.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 24

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  Aviation has changed the world, I love potatoes, and we will surely see a lot of photos today.  I have  a cousin in Halifax.  Great quote by a great singer.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Summer Fruit Salad with Sambuca, Asian Chicken Consume, Oven-Roasted Rack of Lamb, and NSA Vanilla Ice Cream as served on MS Veendam August 19, 2013.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC) wildfires    
RIP Mr Boston’s DSIL
Brenda with breakthrough Covid and mourning Copeland’s and her brother’s deaths
jimgev DW dealing with rampant covid and burnout
Sharon’s mom in g radiation
Afghanistan and Norseh2o’s nephew assisting the evacuation
smitty34877's nephew facing possible deployment to Afganistan
New Zealand continuing outbreak
From the rotation:
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Boytje on a BHB
Front Line Health Care Workers
Welcome home  Aliaschief,(really)
cat shepard to lose her brace
StLouisSal’s liver transplant friend much improved
2 days for cruisin single
2 days for CruiseMGM and negative Covid test
One month countdown for lindaler
Denise finishing her painting
A great first day of school for AncientWanderer’s DGD
An upsell for Sharon
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for today's daily and care reports.

I love flying and taking photographs and Pauline likes potatoes.

Interesting quote.

Food and drink I will have to try.

We have never been to today's port.

Malaga is a favourite of ours and where our favourite hotel is.

Take care and stay safe everyone 😷.

IMG_20210810_150421.jpg

• Like 29

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!  A great collection of days!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Hope you are doing well. Morning Dailyite family! Looking forward to the meal and drink recipes. Today is my big reveal. Hopeful, but trying to manage my expectations. I will report in later. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Domaine Les Salices Chardonnay

If you can find this elusive wine, you will find it reasonably priced.  I found it  online from European distributors for as low as $10.00. Consumers give the 2018 vintage a rating of 3.9 out of 5. So this might be worth a try. Especially if you can find it locally. 
Winemaker notes
Made from 100% Chardonnay grapes and aged for 6 months in oak which imbues the wine with a lovely mouthfeel. The wine has flavours of spicy stone fruit with creamy and nutty notes with some subtle toasty hints. Round and rich on the palate with a lovely fresh finish.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

Last night was a good night for sleeping for me.   I sometimes have trouble due to back issues.  But, salonpas to the rescue!  I'm going to the pool later this morning and then the rest of the day is mine.  

My handyman is out for a few weeks due to a broken rib, so I met my new neighbor last night and hired him to fix a small leak under the kitchen sink and do some other things.  He's saving up to start his own plumbing company and welcomes the side jobs.   

Today's meal comes with several varieties.  You can just have asparagus, or you can tomato or mushroom additions.  One recipe even had bacon.   It is an easy meal and comes together quickly.

The plain asparagus:   https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/asparagus_frittata/

1286006240_FrittatawithAsparagus2.jpg.66fbf8e1e73ef6a40c2cb5ff092502f1.jpg

A spruced up version:  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/frittata-with-asparagus-tomato-and-fontina-recipe-1942086

405624752_FrittatawithAsparagus.jpeg.9d84009c825c47dc4e0d3a4afa73dcca.jpeg

I would probably go with Giada's version myself.  

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good  morning  everyone. We  were  awakened  by  a  very  loud  cell  phone  alert warning  of  a  tornado possibility. It  was  about  4:15  and certainly  got  our  attention.  DH  and  I keep  our  phones  in  another  room  at  night  but  Tana  fell  asleep  with  hers right  next  to  her  head. Both  dogs  began  barking at  the  very  loud  noise  and  eventually  all  the  neighborhood  dogs  joined  in....as  in  the  "101 Dalmatians" movie.  We  all  decided  to  stay  put  and  hope  for  the  best  and fortunately nothing  occurred. I  made  breakfast  for  everyone  and  it  included  a  giant  omelet. Almost  a  frittata!

I  just  love  potatoes  in  any  form and  the  family  calls  me  the  "potato queen".  I  like  the  Louis  Armstrong  quote  and  appreciate  aviation. I  enjoy  the  photos  we  see  here  from  all  over  the  world.

We  have  enjoyed  Halifax several  times in  all  types  of  weather. We visited  the  Citadel the  last  time we  were  there  and  really  enjoyed  it. Other  visits took  us  to  Peggy's  Cove. It  is  a  spectacularly scenic place.

I  do  have  some  pictures.

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0912.JPG

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, and thanks for the report. Been to Halifax twice and would enjoy a third time. I hope to do a Canada-New England cruise again someday aboard the Volendam/Zaandam, only this time instead of a Vista Suite an Oceanview so that i can relax on the Promenade Deck.

• Like 20

Good morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists. It's amazing what aviation has accomplished in just a bit more than one hundred years.Love potatoes. I have made frittatas with asparagus - really delicious.

The quote today is quite profound from a musical genious.  The music he played was jazz and he was describing that as a reflection of life with all its joys, sadness, triumphs and failures. His music expressed all of those things - he was truely "playing life". 

Celebrate life and stay safe.

• Like 21

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I certainly enjoy potatoes in all forms.  I just wish I could make candied sweet potatoes as good as my mom.  @dfish I’ll have the bacon please.  Today promises to be a rainy day.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

• Like 22

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  Aviation has changed the world, I love potatoes, and we will surely see a lot of photos today.  I have  a cousin in Halifax.  Great quote by a great singer.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Summer Fruit Salad with Sambuca, Asian Chicken Consume, Oven-Roasted Rack of Lamb, and NSA Vanilla Ice Cream as served on MS Veendam August 19, 2013.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC) wildfires    
RIP Mr Boston’s DSIL
Brenda with breakthrough Covid and mourning Copeland’s and her brother’s deaths
jimgev DW dealing with rampant covid and burnout
Sharon’s mom in g radiation
Afghanistan and Norseh2o’s nephew assisting the evacuation
smitty34877's nephew facing possible deployment to Afganistan
New Zealand continuing outbreak
From the rotation:
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Boytje on a BHB
Front Line Health Care Workers
Welcome home  Aliaschief,(really)
cat shepard to lose her brace
StLouisSal’s liver transplant friend much improved
2 days for cruisin single
2 days for CruiseMGM and negative Covid test
One month countdown for lindaler
Denise finishing her painting
A great first day of school for AncientWanderer’s DGD
An upsell for Sharon
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy

Thank you for both lists.  I like your meal suggestion.

• Like 8

Good morning everyone. Seems we didn’t wake when there was a tornado alert for our area and luckily nothing happened. Second tornado in less than two weeks.
I will celebrate photo day. Many years ago I took a photography course and not knowing what I was doing, I managed to snap a beautiful picture of the changing leaves over a lake in Westchester, NY. I had it blown up and mounted on a cardboard backing and two years ago it was hanging in our local juried art show. 
Today we are getting haircuts either in our garage or on the patio if things dry out a bit.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol 

• Like 26

Good Thursday Morning!  Thank you Rich, Roy, the food and beverage ladies and (of course) all who contribute here.  Positive thoughts going to those on the care list and congrats to those celebrating.

We have only been to Halifax once - during a repo cruise from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale on the Emerald Princess in October, 2013. 

We rented a car and drove out to Peggy's Cove

DSC00040.thumb.jpg.989f1c730d1f49228b88a937fdcba720.jpg

From there we drove only about 5 minutes further to Ryer's Lobsters in Indian Harbor

IMG_0064.thumb.jpg.442ce7b6898f5ac0f587bb61f7ee9c29.jpg

IMG_0062.thumb.jpg.7e2f89557bd7600896378f0eb92dcc6b.jpg

We picked out "Larry" for lunch

IMG_0063.thumb.jpg.d203256c7132c571b0fdda4104809ae9.jpg

Then ordered a half dozen steamed oysters for an appetizer

IMG_0073.thumb.jpg.f50094f5dce95d1fd2ec2b93c4a366b4.jpg

IMG_0074.thumb.jpg.6a28895ea98541f9694da6674e68a570.jpg

Bring on the main course!!

IMG_0076.thumb.jpg.979088bdfc9488de5c346d51cc9a5269.jpg

IMG_0077.thumb.jpg.c1fc26e9fe2ce4b861e99865401fd26f.jpg

IMG_0078.thumb.jpg.944d15427413a3d5a3c8a2f54462559b.jpg

WOW, that was good 

IMG_0079.thumb.jpg.57734378ba4262f1a28da656e33d309f.jpg

After that repast, we drove a couple of minutes further and stumbled upon this place.  Now, being from the Midwest, we both love rhubarb and that is just something you can't grow in Florida.  Naturally, we "had" to stop in and have some rhubarb cobbler 😉

IMG_0081.thumb.jpg.3b4247e4393136bf44a4218f0d2537d2.jpg

IMG_0080.thumb.jpg.a484836f45f4b0a683d20c4899a550a5.jpg

It was a good day!!

Edited by kb4683
  • Like 35

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Thursday smile 🙂 

Great combination of days.  Aviation is the reason we can get to so many places 👍. Great quote by Louis.

Today’s meal sounds good - thanks @dfishfor the variation recipe.  The drink today matches the day!  Cool.

I wish I liked oaky Chardonnay’s more as today’s wine sounds interesting.  

I’ve been to Halifax more times than I can count - between work conferences, visits, etc.  Lovely city and great people.

Remember the sad hibiscus plants I rescued?  They are blooming away 🙂 

CF1C55EA-FC13-4437-ADE3-45AFD654B541.thumb.jpeg.39b3653b8e93b69b31e7b88d01ec1ae5.jpeg

DH’s weird plant has bloomed and finally the chilies have.  They are way behind this year and I can’t figure out why other than different varieties? 🤷‍♂️ 

60FA9DCE-ACF5-4C70-9205-AE416F174853.thumb.jpeg.4f722b00b5796ec49a66444db09d8ca5.jpeg

I got a piece of good news yesterday afternoon.  My TA called and after 6 weeks of fighting, she has gotten our cruise transferred successfully - perks, OBC and all to the sailing next year 👍   She really had to fight and went right up the ladder.  She’s put countless hours in (for which I feel badly) but I am every so grateful she was willing to do so. ♥️ 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list and for those that need them & 🥂 to those on the Celebratory/Shout out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone!!!!

1DC90EEC-C368-4F4A-8FB1-C05CFF8B19AC.jpeg.8bb09d012543c4d3aa386c76546e9ede.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Another sunny morning!  I'd better enjoy it because more rain could show up later today.  That's summer for you.  Interesting set of days today.  I appreciate Aviation and how far we've come since those early days with the Wright Brothers.  I also love potatoes of all kinds.  And of course photos are very important to me.  Since the advent of the digital photo the number of photos I have taken has exploded!

Thanks to Rich for his work to put our Daily together each day, even while on vacation.  And to Roy who manages to get his lists together for us even while having dental surgery.  I hope you're doing much better now Roy.  @cat shepardgood luck with the big reveal!  @dfishhow convenient to meet your new neighbor and he is a plumber!  Sounds like a great addition to your neighborhood. 😉  I think I'd prefer the Giada frittata too. 

As for our lists I'm happy to see so many celebrations listed and give them all a shout out, but we still have those in need of prayer.  I hope to see that list shrink again.  

@smitty34877thank you for your photos.  Your Peggy's Cove lighthouse photo looks exactly like mine!  We went there on our first Halifax stop on a 2011 TA on Emerald Princess.  Second time was a 2015 TA on Caribbean Princess, and third was a 2018 New England/Atlantic Coast cruise on the Rotterdam.  The third visit on Rotterdam it was freezing cold that day and we actually had snow flurries that day.  DH and I both had a slight cold so we walked across the street to a pharmacy to pick up some cold meds.  Thanks also to @kb4683for her photos!

From our 2011 Peggy's Cove stop.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIpSn8TKhiMMlYQI9V_GXbe?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616116020

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKbCkH9edWkGj4supVjoPSX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616116019

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLCtrDYZ-bH9iYorAVvvWSo?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616116018

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKNR3xTHm3LpkDL3_bSzeca?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616116010

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIdfe1e2Gkv6hLrpMXf5WT1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616116009

And this young lady bagpiper trying to make it through college!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ0f5FSAh4b_Z5SL4TN6CVC5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616115988

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJjvueNFLCNQ1glyaLpg3fN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616115985

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning All!

Congratulations, @kazu. I’m so happy you got your cruise all transferred over. Now hopefully things will calm down with covid and you will be able to enjoy it when it comes. You, and so many others, have had so much turmoil with cruising plans.

Tuesday the weatherman promised us something called “rain” that was supposed to happen yesterday. IIRC, that is when drops of liquid fall from the sky. I waited all day, and when I was running errands, some tiny little “spots” appeared on my windshield. I ran the windshield wiper once and it was gone. Completely. Did I scare it away? 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 21
  • Haha 1