The Daily for Sunday September 26, 2021

richwmn

Good morning from central Texas.

Wow!  What a collection of days to celebrate.  Plus, daughters day, either yesterday or today.  However, this mother of two wonderful daughters, thinks everyday is daughters day.

Love the Mark Twain quote.

Such sad news about the Amtrax derailment and loss of life.  Hats off the the people of Montana for helping those involved.  

The meal looks interesting, but since I prefer dark meat, I'll pass on it along with the drink and the wine.  Although, I like red wines, I'm not a Shiraz fan.   @rafinmd  Roy's suggestion of flatiorn steak dpimfd hppf, and  I've enjoyed it on a BHB.  There is a a flatiron steak in the freezer, and I'll need to dig it out and fix it soon. Tonight though, it will be the leftover Thai pork from the other night.

In 2013. HAL offered the Canada-New England cruise as a 14-day roundtrip out of Boston.  Since we prefer longer cruises, we did the 14-day as b2bs, so we were in Charlootetown four times in August and September. 

On August 28. we walked around town and took the trolley.   I'll post those pictures here, then look at the ones from the other three visits when we rented cars and toured PEI.  It was a very cloudy day,, but atleast ot didn't rain.

The Veendam and the smaller boats.  This was our first, but not last time on the Veendam.

DSC00098.thumb.JPG.4e714a3f077e3014ccd9b2fb0cb00b47.JPG

Pictures of the town and the little market where we stopped.

DSC00099.thumb.JPG.c34e7713bb42076fa5cc08463a63ca88.JPG

DSC00100.thumb.JPG.ecfa0a4d222f80cd2e93d24ab2e054e1.JPG

DSC00101.thumb.JPG.73a2bc7843a93335cea422518900d374.JPG

DSC00103.thumb.JPG.de67ee7f59a52bb43f4801175f8bbd53.JPG

DSC00104.thumb.JPG.c4a2bd94e4133a3499d92dfe0f8246a2.JPG

DSC00105.thumb.JPG.7113e465d43a7bb1ff1c530469835a70.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning all. In honour of Johnny Appleseed day, I made an Apple streusel sheet pan cake yesterday and we spent the day with our two daughters and their families doing a wine tasting with charcuterie. So we covered daughters day and family day, too. We had a lovely afternoon and evening to be outside.

prayers to all on our cares list, and those involved in the train crash out west. Additionally, i am including my fellow Canadians in the province of Alberta. They are exploding with Covid cases, have requested medical help from the army and some hospitals are triaging patients. 

my toast to the celebration list will be with club soda tonight, sorry. Too much wine yesterday!

we enjoyed Charlottetown on the Maas dam in 2009.

be safe everyone and continue to mask up.

A264952D-C961-4FFC-827E-7A65E2D3B0B9.jpeg

99D4C4E6-E342-4298-9DE0-6C4487E07F66.jpeg

Edited by superoma
Add pictures
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

On September 13, 2013, we visited the Anne of Green Gables House, the birthplace of Lucy Maud Montgomery, and the Confederation Bridge.  We enjoyed Lucy Maud's birthplace more than a house based on a fictional character.  It was a rainy day, but with a car, we had no problems.

The Anne of Green Gables House,, but just the ones of the outside.

DSC00198.thumb.JPG.e2eb5a7c2c79d8653e556e821a0c3219.JPG

DSC00199.thumb.JPG.43f46dd14a3270719542e9722e8851f5.JPG

DSC00219.thumb.JPG.87528401b8a357e6558f1e400bec620e.JPG

Lucy Maud Montgomery's birthplace.  She was born on November 30, 1874.  We could not take pictures inside.

DSC00228.thumb.JPG.658b3d633da89b16a5ddbc349fe7d8e6.JPG

DSC00229.thumb.JPG.19a18521d65b2fa435c04c7a3c747e4f.JPG

DSC00231.thumb.JPG.21632a996bcfca92a5e07a2227b34c8e.JPG

A section of the Confederation Bridge outside the visitor's center.

DSC00233.thumb.JPG.2c59e46794ddcad8a79276b49092a88b.JPG

Our next call to Charlottetown was on September 11.  This time, we took the shore excursion book information, and drove to the various lighthouses on the island.

Three of the many lighthouses on the island.

DSC00409.thumb.JPG.4fdda2b6f09b9ed4375d044de397eca1.JPG

DSC00420.thumb.JPG.304bde0eecddf24ea0edf3ebaf24ed94.JPG

DSC00426.thumb.JPG.aa4d7d6f97c058f7455bf2f907297833.JPG

The ferry and a small harbor

DSC00417.thumb.JPG.ed4833fb822253b6679786da1caaee1c.JPG

DSC00421.thumb.JPG.ca7e5040a661f74c8e1a4e69f42ea9da.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
Added pictures
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Sunday smile 🙂 

What a great collections of days. I think National Situation Awareness, World Rivers and Deaf day should be observed every day

I love that Mark Twain quote.  I can think of  a few people who should be told it over and over until it sinks in 😉 

10D8416F-6202-4809-8945-9623DD950DFB.thumb.jpeg.bf7c0324799906c2af05b30a67836402.jpeg

No turkey in the fridge so the meal suggestion will have to wait for another time.  DH was very happy last night when he got surprised with liver and onions.  I know some don’t care for it but it’s a favourite of his.

@mamaofamiI feel your pain with CC and the Ipad.  I have the same problem again today.  If the other tricks mentioned don’t help, go to your app and get google chrome (no cost).  Then when CC is being disagreeable on safari, you’ll have the option to use Chrome.  That’s what I’m using right now.

@smitty34877sorry your DGS is feeling so badly.  I hope he recovers and is feeling better very soon 🙏

Another very rainy day here.  Yesterday there were deluges on and off.  Somehow we managed to slip between them to take the dogs for a very quick (with heavy emphasis on the quick) walk.  Marley hates rain but when it comes to his walk, he doesn’t mind at all 🙂 

Charlottetown is always fun as are so many places in the Maritimes.  We’ve been a few times but not on a cruise ship  - by ferry (before the causeway was built) and by car over the causeway.  I much preferred it when we had the ferry.  There was something so neat about it even though it could be inconvenient.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone !!!!!!

6A1D403F-0ACA-4775-95DA-AA47757E919E.thumb.jpeg.eb034eeafce4323c3c7a99a39bd743f3.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your masks.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

in 2013, our last visit to PEI was on September 17.  We had a beautiful, sunny day to drive around the island.

I'm not sure where these were taken, but it was on the north shore of the island, and probably near the northern most point.  They were putting in wind generators near a lighthouse.

DSC00458.thumb.JPG.62aa376a120a90b78a96bcdddb69efb8.JPG

DSC00464.thumb.JPG.ce47ae9335a73ea5deaa0d0ff3feb7c4.JPG

We timed our visit to the Anne of Green Gables Museum so we were there between buses from the ship.  We left when we saw a bus approaching.  It is a museum of a period house, and a working farm owned by relatives of Lucy Maud Montgomery.

DSC00479.thumb.JPG.663082f3982bfd2d91b94471fc1e9979.JPG

DSC00480.thumb.JPG.3203a57cf15ad484f6be505f4870d3e6.JPG

A local catching some sun by the side of the road on a beautiful day.

DSC00484.thumb.JPG.09dc2247a4dc8af1bde75dd92a42b2cf.JPG

DSC00485.thumb.JPG.e07e7f280c2016b179aa334d589268dd.JPG

Scenes from our drive around the island and back to Charlottetown

DSC00489.thumb.JPG.12388846aadfa9221cfab18b1ab78d70.JPG

DSC00491.thumb.JPG.f977a4361ecedcd3c4d273ed28aee151.JPG

Charlottetown from the Veendam's top deck.

DSC00497.thumb.JPG.392c17bff083fe4fb26340ca44e56e58.JPG

DSC00498.thumb.JPG.6e536ba1136ac685bc497bf4d6c4c5c4.JPG

DSC00499.thumb.JPG.6bbe1bb95dba62e145bde1b754430479.JPG

Lenda

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists.

We have quite a collection of days to celebrate. I love the quote.

Both dinner suggestions sound great but I will pass on the drink.

I have a friend who owns a tour company on PEI. Beautiful scenery!

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 19

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

We've been to PEI several times, eating lobster, oysters and clams at a small restaurant I've promised some well know CCer to never disclose because it's so tiny. It's in walking distance from the pier though.

I have indulged in mussels there and they are wonderful!   We will go back sometime.  We made sure we got there for an early lunch and then went window shopping in the shops nearby.

• Like 18

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Thankful for Johnny Appleseed, yay for Shamu, respect for those who are deaf or hearing impaired, our street is named after a northern river, and because I was on an emergency preparedness board for a number of years, I am almost always aware of my surroundings.

Another bright, sunny day here on the "frozen tundra" where the leaves almost magically change overnight.  Yesterday I spent some time in the yard raking what had come down and bagging them for the compost truck next week.  We only have 1 deciduous tree in our yard, (ours are coniferous) but are surrounded by our neighbours towering poplars, so although we benefit from their shelter, we pay for it with their leaves.  

Colours.jpg.1e2109bda16379fa5cf8a16ba0b6b52f.jpg

DH and his film crew had a productive day yesterday in the countryside, and thanks to the drone, were able to see exactly where the bears were, and were able to remain a safe distance away.  He came home around 8 last night, tired, but pleased, and was off again this morning before 7 so they could hopefully catch some of the mist coming off the river.  I've got the day to myself, so I'm going to try making a couple of aprons from tea towels - an idea I got from a friend of a friend on FB.  She's an amazing sewist, and I'm sure I could never compare with her end product, but it's worth trying, as it looks relatively easy.

I like today's menu suggestion, and @rafinmdonce again, you had me at strawberry bisque.  How I miss those sweet soups they used to serve on HAL ships.  I don't have any turkey breasts hanging around, but have a couple of chicken breasts thawed in the fridge, so I'll be making chicken cordon bleu, oven roasted potatoes, and a side salad for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses together to cheer all on the happy list.  Stay safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, be well, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 27

Good morning all! 

What an interesting collection of days. We celebrate World Rivers everyday here as I live very close to the Mississippi River and the Meramec River and not terribly far from the spot where the Missouri and Mississippi converge. Needless to say, floods are a thing around here. I now have the Johnny Appleseed song from Girl Scouts stuck in my head 🎶.

I will take the wine, but skip the drink and the turkey roulade (I am a purist, like my turkey roasted with traditional accompaniments). 

Something was up with my church livestream, it wasn’t working this morning. I had several other churches to pick from though, lots of good services out there.

This afternoon we head to the symphony for the first time since February 2020. My Friday/Saturday nights were awesome-two great, but very different dinners & two wonderful, but very different theatre productions. Today we will skip dinner & rush home so youngest DD can catch the Tony Awards. I think we’ll order in. (Both theatres and the symphony require everyone to wear a mask and to present their vaccine card or proof of a negative Covid test. It was good to look out on the audience seeing everyone masked. I know all that is not foolproof, but I felt pretty safe and so glad to be back in a theatre.)

Prayers to all on our care list 🙏. And I will grab a glass of champagne from the symphony bar to toast all the celebrations. 🥂

Take care everyone,

St Louis Sal 

• Like 27

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Sunday smile 🙂 

What a great collections of days. I think National Situation Awareness, World Rivers and Deaf day should be observed every day

I love that Mark Twain quote.  I can think of  a few people who should be told it over and over until it sinks in 😉 

10D8416F-6202-4809-8945-9623DD950DFB.thumb.jpeg.bf7c0324799906c2af05b30a67836402.jpeg

No turkey in the fridge so the meal suggestion will have to wait for another time.  DH was very happy last night when he got surprised with liver and onions.  I know some don’t care for it but it’s a favourite of his.

@mamaofamiI feel your pain with CC and the Ipad.  I have the same problem again today.  If the other tricks mentioned don’t help, go to your app and get google chrome (no cost).  Then when CC is being disagreeable on safari, you’ll have the option to use Chrome.  That’s what I’m using right now.

@smitty34877sorry your DGS is feeling so badly.  I hope he recovers and is feeling better very soon 🙏

Another very rainy day here.  Yesterday there were deluges on and off.  Somehow we managed to slip between them to take the dogs for a very quick (with heavy emphasis on the quick) walk.  Marley hates rain but when it comes to his walk, he doesn’t mind at all 🙂 

Charlottetown is always fun as are so many places in the Maritimes.  We’ve been a few times but not on a cruise ship  - by ferry (before the causeway was built) and by car over the causeway.  I much preferred it when we had the ferry.  There was something so neat about it even though it could be inconvenient.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone !!!!!!

6A1D403F-0ACA-4775-95DA-AA47757E919E.thumb.jpeg.eb034eeafce4323c3c7a99a39bd743f3.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your masks.

I’m not using a browser on IPad. I have Holland America saved and just have to hit it. Maybe I’ll just try to close it and reopen which I haven’t done.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

I’m not using a browser on IPad. I have Holland America saved and just have to hit it. Maybe I’ll just try to close it and reopen which I haven’t done.

To get Holland America you are using a browser 🙂. The Ipad uses safari automatically and sometimes CC and Safari don’t like each other.

If you try logging off and log back in, it might help.  Sometimes that works.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, kazu said:

mamaofamiI feel your pain with CC and the Ipad.  I have the same problem again today.  If the other tricks mentioned don’t help, go to your app and get google chrome (no cost).  Then when CC is being disagreeable on safari, you’ll have the option to use Chrome.  That’s what I’m using right now.

I was doing okay just by making sure I logged out but last night I started having problems again and CC wouldn’t let me log out even after clearing browser history. So I took your advice and downloaded Chrome and it’s working!  Yay!  So @mamaofami try it and see if it helps. Thank you for the tips Jacqui!

• Like 11

Just now, Sharon in AZ said:

I was doing okay just by making sure I logged out but last night I started having problems again and CC wouldn’t let me log out even after clearing browser history. So I took your advice and downloaded Chrome and it’s working!  Yay!  So @mamaofami try it and see if it helps. Thank you for the tips Jacqui!

Glad it helped Sharon. 🤙  I’ve had it with deleting cookies, history and logging in and out.  I’m using google until safari and CC get along.  It was fine yesterday and then this morning the same crap again so back to Chrome I went.

• Like 13

Good morning, all! Will the cc gremlins let me post today? I will know shortly. @mamaofami, it’s not just you and I share your frustration! 
DD and I had turkey last night, so tonight will be decided later. I love the Mark Twain quote. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. There are many places that should be posted. We’ve never been to PEI, so the pictures are much enjoyed!

Yesterday DD and I came over to Salt Spring Island for a couple of weeks. it was the last nice day before the rain set in. After we got here, we brought four wheelbarrow loads of firewood up the hill to the wood shed. Now we can watch the rain in comfort and feel smug. DH has medical tests coming up next week, so he’s in Chilliwack for a few more days. There is an outbreak in the hospital right now. I’m not sure if I’m more worried about what the tests may show, or what he may pick up while he’s there. In case anyone is taking a survey, I can be recorded as Very Dissatisfied with the pandemic.

I picked a few of my limited supply of indigo leaves to print a scarf. While indigo makes a blue dye, the leaves alone print dark green. Getting them to print blue is complicated. I’m pleased with my first attempt at ghost printing, especially with the unexpected aqua background on the silk! The colour was hard to photograph, but shows in this one.

D8485F95-3B57-496B-B3F3-51F3F3A27B4A.thumb.jpeg.1e875a27291e9b0dbee1efb614fea4b8.jpeg

Happy Sunday! Enjoy the fall weather, especially those on their BHB voyages!

FF6A634B-BE9C-4143-880C-2F01F4F5CCD5.thumb.jpeg.f0197eab0d3cd4754b6079ed4a6d88f4.jpeg

• Like 28

49 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Thankful for Johnny Appleseed, yay for Shamu, respect for those who are deaf or hearing impaired, our street is named after a northern river, and because I was on an emergency preparedness board for a number of years, I am almost always aware of my surroundings.

Another bright, sunny day here on the "frozen tundra" where the leaves almost magically change overnight.  Yesterday I spent some time in the yard raking what had come down and bagging them for the compost truck next week.  We only have 1 deciduous tree in our yard, (ours are coniferous) but are surrounded by our neighbours towering poplars, so although we benefit from their shelter, we pay for it with their leaves.  

Colours.jpg.1e2109bda16379fa5cf8a16ba0b6b52f.jpg

DH and his film crew had a productive day yesterday in the countryside, and thanks to the drone, were able to see exactly where the bears were, and were able to remain a safe distance away.  He came home around 8 last night, tired, but pleased, and was off again this morning before 7 so they could hopefully catch some of the mist coming off the river.  I've got the day to myself, so I'm going to try making a couple of aprons from tea towels - an idea I got from a friend of a friend on FB.  She's an amazing sewist, and I'm sure I could never compare with her end product, but it's worth trying, as it looks relatively easy.

I like today's menu suggestion, and @rafinmdonce again, you had me at strawberry bisque.  How I miss those sweet soups they used to serve on HAL ships.  I don't have any turkey breasts hanging around, but have a couple of chicken breasts thawed in the fridge, so I'll be making chicken cordon bleu, oven roasted potatoes, and a side salad for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses together to cheer all on the happy list.  Stay safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, be well, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Nice colourful collection of leaves.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone and Happy Sunday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. Prayers to those on the Care list.  Extra prayers for @smitty34877 DGS and Jakob for speedy recoveries. 

Great collection of days today and I celebrate them all. I’ll pass on the meal suggestion however the Ina Garten recipe sounds good for Thanksgiving. Not sure what we will have yet. 

We have been to Charlottetown twice and I’ll have to look at my pictures to remember what we did there. I do remember going to Flex Mussels for mussels (duh) and they were amazing but they are no longer there. I had a beer version, yum. 

Today we are gathering our clothes to start packing. It’s going to be easier this time because we will take the same clothes we did for Alaska but with a few warmer weather things for San Diego. The countdown has begun!

2332C595-8A5E-4051-A3D9-62CD196F2A66.thumb.jpeg.da9674b406532f65b200ce9f741e046f.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Wow, lots of days to celebrate. Great Twain quote.

I like the meal and wine. Also Roy's meal. Pass on the drink.

I haven't been to today's port. I really haven't seen much of Canada other than Montreal (for the 1967 Expo when I was a kid) and Toronto. Thanks for the pictures.

Another nice sunny and coolish day today. Laundry is done and I'm trying to decide if I have the energy to tackle trimming the front shrubs. Last day of solid food, then clear liquids tomorrow.

@smitty34877 Hoping DGS is feeling better soon, and Tana as well.

@grapau27 Delicious looking meals.

@mamaofami So good that Sam is coming home soon.

Prayers for the care list and the victims of the train derailment. Cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance and wear your mask if needed.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2