The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday August 6th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Hiroshima Day, International Blues Music Day, and Farmworker Appreciation Day

With great power... comes great need to take a nap. Wake me up later.--Rick Riordan, The Last Olympian

Meal Suggestion for today - black lentil and harissa roasted veggie bowl
Drink of the Day - New England Apple Pie
wine of the Day - Domaine de la Janasse 2019 Chaupin Grenache
Destination of the Day - Warnemunde (Berlin), Germany

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Whittier, Alaska eta 08/07

Nieuw Statendam

Corner Brook NL, Newfoundland-Labrador Canada 10:00 - 18:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 08/07

Oosterdam

Corfu Island, Kerkyra, Greece 08:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

Isafjordur, Westfjords Iceland 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada 18:00 - 23:59

Zaandam

Nanortalik, Greenland 07:00 - 14:00

Zuiderdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0806World.thumb.png.9703400fc1398ab347d473bea9cbe6d2.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 14

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Funny quote today.

Good selection of days

The meal is something I would try.

I'm not sure about the drink though I do love apple pie.

We have never been to Germany.

We are off to Fort Myers in a few minutes for our Covid Rapid Test as we sail tomorrow on the Equinox out of Port Everglades. Next cruise is on December 4th on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Saturday Daily/Fleet report Rich.  Hiroshima was a horrible near end to a horrible war.   Not a big fan of Blues music but enjoy it from time to time.  A special salute to farm workers.  Not sure what to think of the quote.  I visited Warnemunde on the Elegant Explorer in 2015.  I think I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Chilled Carrot and Orange Soup with Cumin, and Braised Lamb Shank as served on MS Prinsendam August 6, 2011.

Today’s care list:

Tbay DH and DGS with Covid
Cruzn single pulmonary Fibrosis diagnosis
Crabbi Patti’s father and now son with Covid
A rough day for Crusin Terri
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 8/14)
From the rotation:
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Strength and healing for Kazu
Painful falls for Marshhawk, and Lindaler

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Tbay and DGS
Productive medical visit for Quartzite Cruiser
Shadow/Little in Kazu’s care and making progress
Crabbi Patti on camp nurse duty to 8/8
Volendam caring for refugees
StLouisCruisers on road trip
Live4cruises in NC Hills to 8/11
Aliaschief touring Hebrides to 8/14
Cruzin Terri treatment coming after drive from hell
1 day for AMRDS (Nieuw Amsterdam 8/7 to 8/14)
1 day for Mister67 (Equinox 8/7 to 8/13)
Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13), Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 11

DAE436CE-CD41-480F-B10D-C1513F5D1249.jpeg.6b63836e1adaa5d97d96050a2d814aca.jpeg
Hiroshima Day is celebrated every year to promote peace among nations and to create awareness about the devastating results of nuclear weapons.  The day is observed every year as a reminder of the brutal killings of innocent civilians. The day plays a key role in making anti-war and anti-nuclear policies a priority in international relationships.  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 9

Good afternoon from a sunny 64°F North East England.

Thanks to both Rich and Roy who supply the information every day and Debbie for helping our food choices.

Hiroshima day is a worthy reminder of our past. 

Soul, Motown Gospel and Blues are my preferred music choices in this order.

Farmworkers deserve our thanks for feeding us.

Not sure about the food and drink.

Prayers for everyone to be well.

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend.

Take care and enjoy yourselves.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 25

Good morning, everyone.

It is going to be another warm one here in northeast Ohio.  The heat is supposed to stay through tomorrow with a bit of cooling next week.  Farmworkers really deserve our support and respect.  They work long hours and do hard work, much of it is physical labor.  And wages are low.  Also, farm work is one of the more dangerous areas of employment.  Before changes in the law it was often difficult for farm workers to get health insurance because of the danger in their work.  We should remember Hiroshima in a solemn manner, hoping it is an example to us of why we need to learn to work out our differences some other way.  It represents a failure of society.  

Lentils are edible seeds from the legume family. They’re well known for their lens shape and sold with or without their outer husks intact. Though they’re a common food staple in countries such as Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Morocco, and Tunisia, the greatest production of lentils nowadays is in Canada. Lentils are a very healthy food and a good source of protein for those who follow a plant based diet.  Lentils can provide health benefits for the cardiovascular system, the digestive system, and disease prevention.  You can read more about the benefits of lentils here:  https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/lentils#benefits

Harissa is a hot chili pepper paste, native to the Maghreb. The main ingredients are roasted red peppers, Baklouti peppers. Spices and herbs such as garlic paste, caraway seeds, coriander seeds, cumin and olive oil to carry the oil-soluble flavors. Rose harissa, made with rose petals, is also made.

Today's meal is just full of flavor and healthy ingredients.   This filling, endlessly refillable bowl is perfect with roasted sweet potatoes, but any hardy vegetable you have on hand would be just as delicious. Try delicata squash, cauliflower, or eggplant.  https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/black-lentil-and-harissa-roasted-veggie-bowl

1620199069_blacklentilharissabowl1.jpg.fd450af4c86e030aec7937801df0a936.jpg

The above recipe is the only one I found that matched the name exactly.  But, there are always variations so here is one I thought looked good.   https://www.mynewroots.org/site/2016/01/harissa-carrots-and-fennel-with-lentils/

996427829_blacklentilsharissabowl2.thumb.jpg.aa394e1822bdfddeb1ce32fcf139a838.jpg

This next one uses quinoa instead of lentils, but you can easily substitute the lentils back in.  https://dishingouthealth.com/harissa-roasted-sweet-potato-power-salad/

1295200324_blacklentilharissabowl2.thumb.jpg.9d72bdd8962c925c5d5f98f6dbf5d1a5.jpg

And here's one last entry with a different mix of vegetables.  https://www.nordickitchenstories.co.uk/2020/02/08/harissa-lentils-with-roasted-vegetables-and-feta-recipe/

866830135_blacklentilharissabowl3.thumb.jpg.628b7b9a67a5fca7d9ecf557d905108f.jpg

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 16

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Another hot, humid day here.

We must remember Hiroshima.  Not a big fan of the Blues.  I appreciate farm workers.

Amusing quote.

I was hoping the drink suggestion was really the meal suggestion.😁

Hope the wine isn't too sweet.

We were in Warnemunde many years ago on a Baltic cruise, I'm not sure I can find pictures.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 25

Good Morning, Dailyites!

It's a beautiful morning here in Central Florida, currently 77F with a predicted high of only 91 😉.  Of course, we are supposed to also have our daily round of thunderstorms this afternoon.

Thank you to all for your contributions, caring and sharing.

@TbayHappy Birthday to you and your DGS.  You are also sharing your birthday with a very special man -- my DH (Jim)❣️

IMG_0120.gif.d05a0c864b041a363ccf12a95867aec0.gif

• Like 24

New England Apple Pie cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part DeKuyper® Hot Damn!® Cinnamon Schnapps Liqueur
1 part DeKuyper® Mixologist Collection Ginger Liqueur
1 part Pinnacle® Vanilla Vodka

Instructions
Pour the ingredients into a shaker filled with ice. Shake and strain into a shot glass (this cocktail can also be served as a martini).

Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 7.40.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 7.43.25 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 12

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Another lovely morning here. I got some early weeding done, while Bindi figured out whether or not she needed to go out. The sun was just coming up, so the temp was perfect. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites! Need to get out now and get a bit more yard work done before it heats up. Then I will have earned my coffee! Heading to my “traveling Sister’s” place tonight to go over the latest changes to our trip & to get her VeriFLY account set up. We will earn our wine tonight. 

I can not believe I did not know this already….

11EA37A7-1FC2-4470-9947-A513CD6D3C26.jpeg.dff23f70cd1df22decdc5a7c15201edb.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Domaine de la Janasse 2019 Chaupin Grenache (Châteauneuf-du-Pape)

This wine sounds delightful. Though outside of my normal budget, it is a very reasonably priced Châteauneuf-du-Pape, so perhaps for a special occasion. An event like testing negative, or successfully completing ArriveCAN or VeriFLY! 😎Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $69.00.

Winemaker Notes

A beautiful bottle, archetype of the appellation, which expresses the quintessence of Grenache in its cradle of Châteauneuf du Pape. Between notes of black fruit and violets, this vintage advances in time with suppleness, with already melted tannins.

JD98 Jeb Dunnuck

I was able to taste the 2019 Châteauneuf Du Pape Cuvée Chaupin on two occasions, rating it one point higher on one of those as well. Incredible notes of red and black fruits, violets, scorched earth, ground pepper, and Provençal garrigue notes define the nose, and it’s a darker, richer, slightly more powerful wine than usual, while still showing the inherent elegance and finesse this cuvée always shows. Give bottles 2-3 years and enjoy over the following 15-20. Don’t miss it! Rating : 98+

WE98 Wine Enthusiast

This Grenache is sourced from the sandy soils of two prized

vineyards, La Janasse and La Crau. Redolent of rose petals, smoky tea leaves and black cherry, the deeply penetrating wine pulsates through a long, long finish. Matured 12 months in large-format wood, it’s pure in fruit and satiny on the palate. Stunning young, the wine should gain complexity through at least 2040 and hold much further still. Editors’ Choice

D95 Decanter

Amazing aerial freshness to the aromas - somehow both full-bodied but weightless with a perfect balance. This is silky smooth, a very elegant wine with a touch of blackcurrant to the raspberry fruits. The alcohol is warming on the finish however. Parcels of Grenache planted on lieux-dits Chapouin, La Janasse and La Crau, the oldest planted in 1912.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 2

Good Morning. Thanks for the fleet and daily rreport and for the care lists.

Today we remember the horrors of war and nuclear weapons. May we all be advocates of peace.

I love the blues. My band performs classic rock and blues but all our original material is blues. When I get around to writing a song it always seems to end up being a blues song.

• Like 24

Good morning. I walked to the corner  with the dogs and had to rest on my steps for a while. The mind was  willing but the body was not able.

We have been to the port on a Eurodam Baltic cruise  and took a short tour through the countryside  to a pretty castle. 

Blues music has always been a favorite  here and lately I have been wearing out an old John Mayhall CD that was popular  in my youth.

Tana tested negative  this morning  and  reports improvement. We are all relieved.

@Tbay,Sorry to hear DH was positive but wishing  him a belated Happy Birthday  as well as the same to DGS.

@Cruzin single, Sorry for the lack of a blue bubble   and  sorry to hear of your definitive diagnosis  of Pulmonary Fibrosis. 

Thanks to Debbie  @dfish  for the recipes. I am sticking to simpler things but we all like lentils here so I will save it.I havn't  figured out dinner yet but will avoid  heating up the kitchen.  

Terry

• Like 32

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here! Happy Saturday!

Yesterday I finished making the train reservations for our October-November trip to Italy and portions of Europe. We will have seven segments of train travel as we move around on land between our two cruises. The shortest segment will be Malpensa to Milano Centrale with the longest being Venezia Santa Lucia to Lyon Part Deux. All of this using three rail companies. A lot of planning, looking at timetables, and using other than suggested pairings.

We have been to Warnemunde on our Baltic Cruise aboard the Zuiderdam. We were also able to travel to Bad Doberman and Rostock that day due to the long port call to accommodate the ship's excursion to Berlin. A very nice port to visit.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 30

Good morning and thanks for the update. It’s another hot and humid day here. It’s supposed to be this way till Tuesday. 
It’s a sad day in Pa . Early yesterday morning in Nescopeck near Wilkes Barre a house fire claimed 10 people, 7 adults and 3 children, all from the family. When one of the firefighters arrived on the scene, he discovered it was his family 💔

Heard from the vet yesterday and Fluff will have surgery Aug 18 . She should be able to come home that evening 🤞Also, Ninja has a thyroid problem and is now on medication. He goes back for more blood work on the 19th. It never ends. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.❤️🙏

• Like 17
  • Thanks 12

Happy Saturday Dailyites!  It's cloudy and warm and while there was rain yesterday in town, there was lightening and thunder, and nothing else here.  We need rain, and lots of it.

After the little cat who was with Fawn's best cat friend for years disappeared, another cat , who I called Aku, ( now we call him Mr. Bubbles) showed up daily and kept Fawn company.  Mr. Bubbles,  disappeared two days ago, and Fawn was so depressed.  She walked the perimeter of the yard all day meowing and looking for him.  Since Mr. Bubbles did not look healthy at all,  we just assumed the worst.  When I went outside this morning to feed Fawn,  there was Mr. Bubbles  hungry and yawning and sitting right outside the car port.  We have learned that he does not like to come into the carport.  I noticed him before Fawn did (she sleeps on top of a large bucket of cat litter).  She was so happy she ran over to him, and tried to rub on him.  He would have none of that.  This is how their day goes.

image.jpeg.47f6c0df3542f40006570dd46c534188.jpeg

Yes, that's our handsome young man, Mr. Bubbles.

I love Blues, but I also love all types of music.  I do appreciate all farm workers.

I did think it was interesting that both countries that instigated WWII were mentioned this morning.

I did visit Germany when we lived overseas.  I learned to love German Potato Salad in our travels.  I don't however remember where we were in Germany.  I was a kid, and the traveling taster.  Not knowing what was on menus in foreign languages I let my Dad order my meals until I learned French, but when traveling I was at the mercy of what my Dad thought that he had translated correctly.  It was hit and miss a lot.

@rafinmdYou can take me off the lists.  While the leg still hurts, I did survive.  The swelling went down after a week, now it is just tender to touch.

I need to get ready for work, and fix breakfast.  And organize some type of grocery list.  See if I can feed the two of us for less than 100.00 this week.

• Like 29

Good morning everyone.It’s been very very hot here with temps,up,to 98. Last night was the second night our power went. That hasn’t happened since last October. The first night was because of very heavy thunderstorms and was out for several hours.Last night it went out twice for about an hour each time. I was stuck in my open Lazy boy chair and had to climb out very carefully so as not to tip it over onto me.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 23

43 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here! Happy Saturday!

Yesterday I finished making the train reservations for our October-November trip to Italy and portions of Europe. We will have seven segments of train travel as we move around on land between our two cruises. The shortest segment will be Malpensa to Milano Centrale with the longest being Venezia Santa Lucia to Lyon Part Deux. All of this using three rail companies. A lot of planning, looking at timetables, and using other than suggested pairings.

We have been to Warnemunde on our Baltic Cruise aboard the Zuiderdam. We were also able to travel to Bad Doberman and Rostock that day due to the long port call to accommodate the ship's excursion to Berlin. A very nice port to visit.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Jack, it looks like you will have a wonderful holiday. My husband and I loved training throughout Europe.

Enjoy it while you are able. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

A hazy day here with rain due by mid afternoon.  We both fished yesterday and had good luck for once, of course we are already communicating with our boat guy about winterizing the boat.  John caught fish before I came out then it was my turn. 3 Walleye and a Bass.  Today is watering all my potted plants and moving some of the dwindling pile of gravel. Final hot day for a few.  My sister and niece are coming up tomorrow so we will have people on our side of the lake. 

Have a great weekend. Thank you for the Daily Reports! Pass on the cocktail and meal but the wine looks good. Prayers for the people of Ukraine and those battling illness.  Prayers for the family of the family lost in that horrible PA fire. 🙏

6769.jpeg

6767.jpeg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily Fleet and all other things.

Great to here it’s Farmworker Appreciation Day. Salute to all Farmers including RNB!

Perfect timing. The Misses just finish painting the barn and my job is to watch paint dry. I’m very good at it 😀

• Like 9
  • Haha 16

A lovely morning here in Georgetown. It's 78 and only getting up to 94 today. Yay!

Good morning to my Daily friends. Prayers out to Terry and family (thankful Tana tested negative) Sandi in her travels, Jacqui in hopes her energy kicks in and Little Shadow Daily Dog learns something new today. 

Roy I like your new avatar.  Wish we could move the "rare" sticker over a bit so we could see your whole face.

This afternoon we are celebrating 3 birthdays, having a meal, playing Mahjongg, then birthday cake. And cocktails. 

I like Blues music in small doses, prefer to have other music mixed in.

image.png.5e7bb102100ff349e7b71f230d59c7df.png

A very humble profession, farming. My husband grew up on a farm working before sun up, school, back to work til dinner, feeding hogs after..

image.png.5106f0e91444f4b6ceda42c50ce0db3b.png

Sending up prayers to all on Roy's list and my prayer book. Blessings and cheers. Xx

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning friends from the suburbs of Cincinnati.  Cloudy and I see thunderstorms heading this way on the radar.  Better batten down the hatches.  Thanks Rich @richwmnfor our Daily and Fleet Report.  Hiroshima Day is a solemn observation of our past.  Blues are fine but I prefer other types of music, and I appreciate farmworkers and anyone else who works hard.  My Dad grew up a farmworker, being an able bodied male living on a farm.  Love the quote, but the menu, not sure I would appreciate it much.  I wish I had seen Warnemunde but I believe that port was cancelled while we cruised the Baltic in 2011.  Must have been weather related.  This is our first time seeing Warnemunde on the Daily so please post your photos if you can.  I'm sure many take the tour to Berlin but I'm sure some have stayed in town instead of taking that long excursion.

Thanks to Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers for so many of our members and families who are listed.  Thank goodness Tana has test negative finally.  I hope she feels better and is busy being the Executive Chef at Terry's @smitty34877 house.  Happy Birthday to Kay's DH Jim @kb4683.  Ann @cat shepardlove the wine meme today!  Ann @marshhawkgood luck stretching your dollars at the grocery store.  Do you have digital coupons for your grocery store?  Good luck with the kitties.  How many do you have/care for?  @1ANGELCATthat is a terribly sad story of the house fire and so many deaths.  That poor fireman!

Cheers to all the Celebration list people.  We all love to hear good news these days!  Also noticed Roy's new avatar, as well as @MISTER 67's.  @ottahand7a good day of fishing I see!  Hi Joy @Seasick Sailor!!  

We have been trying to get Sadie to calm down a little when she sees DH and I.  She gets so excited to see new faces in the house.  DH had a little luck getting her to back off when she was jumping on his legs.  He got her to sit and lay down for one second so gave her a pet.  But that excites her all over again!  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIt8kweOBgc_XfnTSSY8gEhVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1659792686

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3