The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 23rd, 2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It was 58F when we awoke and went for a walk outside.  We saw one deer and that is it for wildlife.  Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  I like sign language day (so important), wiriting a love note to my DH, and saluting those who have been affected by ovarian cancer.  The quote is funny, I guess.  No thanks to the drink, wine, or menu suggestion.  Hoping Debbie @dfishhas a successful weekend house hunting and that the weather is good all weekend too.  Jacqui @kazugood thing you battened down the hatches and are ready to ride out the storm.  I sure hope it isn't too serious.  @HAL4NOWpraying the wildfires are put out soon and urging the raindrops to come your way to help out.  Welcome back Annie and Chuck @marshhawk.  We missed you too!  

Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor the lists today.  Prayers said before I was out of bed this morning.  Cheers for the happy folks celebrating and cruising.  

Qaqortoq, Greenland was a great port of the day, listed on March 3 of last year, as shown below.

Here are my photos from that date.

We went to Qaqortoq in 2011 and 2018.  The first time (Sept. 2011 on Emerald Princess) DH and a friend walked to the top of the tallest hill to see what was on the other side of the island.  Turns out it was some icebergs.  

The local nursery school teachers brought all the toddlers to the "downtown" area to see all the strange people who had invaded their town.  They enjoyed seeing us as much as we did them. enhance

Here is the oldest fountain in Greenland.enhance

This photo was taken in the Brugseni grocery store parking lot.  There is a church right there next to the grocery store.  As you can see you have to pay close attention while backing up or even driving forward with that huge rock they left in the middle of the parking lot.  It must have been too big to move, so no texting and driving please!

enhance

Next are some photos from Aug. 2018 on the Seabourn Quest.  We went over to shore in the morning for some sightseeing, then later when the fog came in we headed back to ship for lunch.  In the afternoon we had bright sunshine again and went back for a hike up to the top of the hill like DH did in 2011.enhance

Here is the fish market.  We saw something that looked like whale blubber.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

View of the town from the top of the hill during the afternoon walk.enhance

We took a shortcut down the stairs to get back down to the tender.  Last tender was in 30 minutes.enhance

I hope that there will be more ports of the day in Greenland.  So much to see there.

Interesting photos Sandi.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Happy Friday!    @aliaschiefThank goodness you caught yourself on your fall.  Broken bones, broken teeth etc.  So glad you made it through.  

Thank you for the Daily Reports.   The quote is funny, we often think ourselves funny but are probably saying something stupid.   Sardines are available at Costco from time to time and they are the nice big ones like in today's recipes.   Pass on the cocktail but the cab sounds great.   Looking forward to more great photos of Greenland.   

Prayers for all on our care list and for the people in the past and future path of Fiona.   Prayers for the people and fighters in Ukraine.  I am off to get my hair done at noon.  Nothing like cutting the day right in half but it was the earliest I could get.  Last haircut was in May and I am pretty shaggy.    Have a wonderful day!!  

Here is the picture of the Rover I talked about last night.  I am sitting by the Moselle River behind Weingut Heribert Kerrpen.   Proabably 2002.   

nancy rover on Moselle '00.jpg

Spent many days enjoying the Mosel, Bernkastel  area when I was stationed at Spangdahlem AFB for three years.

• Like 15

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily! I only know one thing in sign language and that's the sign for I love you.  Oh and one more, but it's basically the opposite of I love you.  I remember tucking love notes into DH's and DS's lunches.  I lost a sweet cousin to ovarian cancer, so am aware of Teal Talk Day.  

It's getting darker and darker out in the mornings - that's always sad, because we know that we'll be seeing less and less daylight as we get closer to winter. We do have decent temperatures right now, although I've put away my lightweight summer tops and have brought out the long sleeved t-shirts and sweaters.  We had a bunch of errands to run yesterday, so started the morning in jeans and bunny hugs, but on the way home after lunch we had to turn on the car's air conditioning.    At least we don't have to worry about Fiona like our friends in the Maritimes do.  Praying for everyone's safety.

@kazuI know you're fully prepared, but stay safe!

@marshhawkwelcome home; you were missed!

@dfishwishing you and your sister happy and successful house hunting.

@aliaschiefsorry to hear about your tumble - I did the same thing in Istanbul; of course it happened in front of a bunch of people just coming off the ferry.

Not a lot on the agenda today, so will start thinking about getting our clothes together for our upcoming trip ... we leave in 38 days, but who's counting?  LOL  I like to be organized and this time I'm going to r-e-a-l-l-y try not to overpack.   Oh, who am I kidding, I always pack JIC (Just In Case) stuff.  LOL

I think I'd like to try today's menu, but am pretty sure DH would give it a hard pass.  It is Friday, so pizza will be what's on the dinner table tonight.  And wine.    Prayers for everyone who is hurting, with extra for the brave people of Ukraine.  Cheers for the celebrations.  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

My first husbands parents were both deaf.  Before I met them I learned sign language.  I didn't learn signs so much as the alphabet.  So when we talked we spelled out everything to each other.  I wasn't as astute as the older sisters in law, as there was a big age difference between the three sons.  And they had years of practice, the middle son was married to a sign interpreter.  But momma Virginia told me that I was the easiest to understand, as I spelled correctly, added animation, and didn't use "signs".  Turns out that "signs" are different in different parts of the country, she was from Colorado, and my father in law was from North Carolina.  They argued about signs all the time, it was rather funny. I was trying to teach Chuck how to make the letters for that stupid YMCA song while we were on the cruise, You just dont exert as much energy I said. 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kazu said:

@HAL4NOWI so wish I could send you some of our rain (sound on).

We would gladly accept any rain sent our way. It will take a significant weather event to put out the Bolt Creek Fire. The volume of rain you showed in your driveway might qualify; it also might create some landslide activity.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And  thank you all for being here!

I guess that I will start with our morning temp as it was 46 F degrees this morning. A windy front came through early evening that must have dropped us by about 20 degreess. I had been scheduled for a MRI of my right knee at 4:45 pm and still warm. By the time I left at 6:30 pm the weather had changed and it felt downright cold! Sue and I got home and DSIL had turned off the A/C and opened the windows. It felt like a cyclone was passing through! Closed up shortly thereafter. Walked Sam and it is only 55 degrees now.

Two strange contacts by HAL yesterday. Our former PCC that we had replaced a month ago due to failing to respond and never heard from her called to apologize. A very odd conversation! The second was an upgrade offer for our upcoming Transatlantic followed in quick succession by three "Disregard the offer" messages. They were for stateroom categories that are not on the  Oosterdam so I immediately understood the subsequent three messages. Just in case  -  I did call HAL to verify in case there was actually an offer but not sent out. There wasn't. I think that was why the former PCC contacted us as she received notification as well.

We have a Carnival Cruise from Baltimore next August (no flying involved!) that will call on Qaqortoq. Although it looks daunting in trying to pronounce it, it is actually just "Krack' a' duck."

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 24

Good morning everyone. Fall is really here and I’m not happy because winter is on the way. It’s 54 degrees now and going down to 45 tonight. My two oldest grandsons have traveled home to be with family for Rosh Hashanah which starts Sunday night. I am waiting for a food delivery so I can do some cooking.

Jacqui, stay safe.

Have a great day everyone,

Carol

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

We are in San Diego!  Flying here my suitcase was badly damaged (had a hole through plastic on corner which used to have a wheel).  To my surprise Delta had new suitcases in a back room, so I accepted a replacement on the spot- it isn’t the best suitcase, but it is new without holes!

Last night we went to an Iranian restaurant- they serve rice with everything- lots of rice.

We are concerned about all of the storms and fires - stay safe!

Best wishes!

• Like 28

Good morning Daily-ites. Lots of birds out there chirping away at the feeders. Beautiful morning. 

Thank you to all our loyal contributor's. Prayers lifted for all on Roy's list and cheers later on. Jacqui please stay safe! 

Today is couple's pedicures and meeting 2 more couple's for lunch. 

I'm a solid no on today's meal and cocktail. I have pork chops waiting to be marinated and will make spinach sautéed and potatoes. 

Our neighbor is a sign language teacher. She gets excited when we play games and her hands fly all over the place! Love her.

image.png.fb3811a4fbad056aa39ad2006ff0eb16.png

image.png.f14f2d890431dfe83e8cd1cc59fc94de.png

Wishing everyone a safe and happy weekend. 

Blessings,  prayers and cheers. 

• Like 23
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Cat in my lap said:

We are in San Diego!  Flying here my suitcase was badly damaged (had a hole through plastic on corner which used to have a wheel).  To my surprise Delta had new suitcases in a back room, so I accepted a replacement on the spot- it isn’t the best suitcase, but it is new without holes!

My flight into San Diego last December with my new suitcase on its maiden flight arrived with a foot broken off. It was a Travelpro suitcase so I called them when we returned home. The woman at Travelpro said that model's feet never break off (?)  but did send out a replacement suitcase. Must be the "gorillas" on the ramp in San Diego.

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 20
  • Haha 5

It's a sunny 50° here and predicted to climb to 70°. I'll enjoy the sunshine today as both Saturday and Sunday are predicted to be low 60°s with rain both here and, unfortunately, also in Midland where @dfish will likely be dodging raindrops while 🏡house hunting🏡

I'm also keeping my eye on Tropical Depression #9 that is now expected to intensify as it moves into the Gulf of Mexico and come into SW Florida as a Cat 2 - Cat 3 hurricane early next week. Yesterday, #9 was a very disorganized storm but, overnight, all storm model predictions merged with its path now headed toward our family place south of Sarasota. Hoping it veers away...

Screenshot_20220923-081149.thumb.png.0530fe767f975b4262e1881c1dfe5f73.png

-Melisa 

Edited by HAL Sailer
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 11

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Friday Morning Dailyites!  I'm home!  Had a great cruise, even though it was "not as advertised".  This was the longest cruise we have taken so far, and I still wanted to stay on board for another 10 days.  So I am looking forward to the 14 and 25 day  upcoming cruises.

I have for years done the anytime dining, but after this cruise never will again!  At least on Carnival, so I have a question,  on HAL do you have to use your phone to do anytime dining?  Is every event posted on your phone?  Do they still have a printed  daily event schedule?  When I vacation, I want to be as far from a phone as I can.  Poor Chuck, he never could put his phone in the safe and walk away.

After waiting more than an hour for two meals under anytime dining, we asked the Guest Services if it was possible to change to assigned time dining, which they did, found us seats at a table for 10,  and one couple never showed up for any of the meals.  Maybe they never made it to the ship?  So we met some great people and enjoyed their company making dinner a bit more fun.

Our goal in each port was to find good coffee.  Amber Cove won with Domican Republic coffee (Cafe Dominicano), second place goes to Key west, with Cuban Coffee marketed as "do stupid things faster" third was Grand Cayman at the Waffle Monkey, fourth was Grand Turk- at the Starbucks , and we never got a chance to grab some coffee in Cozumel our shore excursion was fun, but we had very little time on the island, and no chance to shop.  We were the last ones back to the ship, no pier runners!  But we didn't make dinner that night either.

The cats were very glad to have us home, we got pizza after leaving the suitcases off, so that's all there is to eat in the house.  Loads of laundry to do, and I do have to get Chuck up to get to his doctors appointment today.  It's good to be home, I missed all of you!

d5bb09d137eecf877172bff167fb4cb8.jpg

Welcome  home.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

My alternative is railroad french toast, my last meal on Amtrak's Empire Builder  September 23, 2017on the way to Seattle to board the Oosterdam

You might be interested in this report on the new, faster trains Amtrak is having built not so very far from where I live.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2022/09/22/amtrak-acela-high-speed-trains/

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

It's a sunny 50° here and predicted to climb to 70°. I'll enjoy the sunshine today as both Saturday and Sunday are predicted to be low 60°s with rain both here and, unfortunately, also in Midland where @dfish will likely be dodging raindrops while 🏡house hunting🏡

I'm also keeping my eye on Tropical Depression #9 that is now expected to intensify as it moves into the Gulf of Mexico and come into SW Florida as a Cat 2 - Cat 3 hurricane early next week. Yesterday, #9 was a very disorganized storm but, overnight, all storm model predictions merged with its path now headed toward our family place south of Sarasota. Hoping it veers away...

Screenshot_20220923-081149.thumb.png.0530fe767f975b4262e1881c1dfe5f73.png

-Melisa 

Oh no!  My darling GD is at USF Tampa studying for her marine biology degree.  This sounds like it could be dangerous and down right nasty!  Let's hope it wanders off and dies down.  

• Like 17

Morning all, definitely not a good morning. I finally heard back from the doctor about Botox being denied. Basically it’s up to me to pay and then submit  to Medicare for payment. The cost is $4,000. Not Happening. I asked about Carpal Tunnel surgery and they have to talk to Dr , again not in office till Monday. I’m just so disgusted.

Blessings for all.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 13

Good morning!  This past week has been a whirlwind and I’m very behind in getting ready for our upcoming cruise. I came down with a bad rash about 6 weeks ago and finally saw a dermatologist on Wednesday and have been diagnosed with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. Long story but I will hopefully start on a temporary medication while being approved for injections. The temporary med has been approved but it comes from a specialty pharmacy so it’s a waiting game. Roy, I don’t want to be on the Care List, it’s not necessary. I just wanted my Daily friends to know what is going on in my life. 

Yesterday Craig and I had our boosters and flu shots. Craig isn’t feeling too good today, very achy and sore. The pharmacist asked if we wanted covid tests and I said if they were free then of course. We ended up with 8 tests each, wow. 

The talk about all the storms is frightening. Everyone in those areas please keep safe!

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Morning all, definitely not a good morning. I finally heard back from the doctor about Botox being denied. Basically it’s up to me to pay and then submit  to Medicare for payment. The cost is $4,000. Not Happening. I asked about Carpal Tunnel surgery and they have to talk to Dr , again not in office till Monday. I’m just so disgusted.

Blessings for all.

Wow, that's awfully expensive!  Dealing with doctor's offices and insurance is so frustrating.  I hope next week's calls work out better and aren't as upsetting.

I'm going through something with my insurance company right now.  Remember that ultrasound of my legs I had in July looking for blood clots?  The doctor's office billed my insurance for the ultrasound which they definitely didn't do.  They made an appointment for me at the imaging center one block away though.  My insurance paid them for the ultrasound and we are supposed to pay $70 which was not covered by insurance.  We just found out they made this billing mistake!  Now we find out the imaging center has been sending bills in to my insurance repeatedly and getting denied.  I thought it must be because the insurance company had paid for the doctor's office billing, but turns out the imaging center had the wrong first three letters at the beginning of my member ID.  I've been on the phone trying to straighten this all out.  I hate messing with insurance and usually DH handles all the calls. Both billing companies made mistakes and I am the innocent party here (for a change!)🤪

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  It is a bright and sunny and windy day.  I have turned off the AC and opened all the windows.  It is glorious.

My kids were taught some sign language in school.  The only one I remember from dinner time chatter is “wet paint”.  No idea why I’ve remembered that one; it’s never come in useful.  😅

One of my friends, a former co-worker, talked about a hearing impaired person who had just joined his church.  He studied hard to learn sign language in order to be able to converse with him.  They fell in love, married, and the day our employer opened up benefits for same sex marriage partners, he was knocking on HR’s door.  Every day he’d pop into my office and we’d chat about things like his countdown clock to early retirement (age 55) and plans for the future.  That was the last conversation we had together.  The next day, a Saturday, he and his husband were out bike-riding.  My friend was in front, turned back to look at his husband with a great big smile on his face, and died.  He was 53.  I have to say he had the most amazing gift for decorating.  He could turn a closet into a palace.  They added his job and his staff to my responsibilities.  Thanks, Bob.  😂

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! Currently 74F and will get to 89 today. On my walk yesterday I tripped and fell and came so close to major injury. My hand is pretty scraped up but it prevented my face from hitting by an inch. I was walking on a sidewalk and didn’t notice a cement slab had lifted probably due to a tree root and caught it with my toe and down I went. Feeling very Blessed that I walked away from that. Please no list or replies needed.

Phew!  That was close.  Last year I did the same but wasn’t so lucky.  Went down head first.  Lost a lot of skin on the entire left side of my body and had a big, tightly shut, black eye.  I looked like I’d just lost a heavyweight boxing championship.  Apparently a finger can’t prevent dead-weight momentum because I broke one of those too.  During my PTSD phase, I found out why some old people take tiny steps.  They’re terrified!  😂

@kazu, thanks for those videos!  I love the rain.  We had high winds and rain, yesterday, as a cold front moved in to keep Fiona offshore.  The biggest thing I learned from the great blackout of 2003 was to have a full tank, a pocketful of cash, and to drink all your frozen margarita mix before it melts.  I hope @HAL4NOW gets some rain too.  Those are very scary pictures.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Good morning all!

I'm feeling less tired this morning after my booster on Wednesday.  Yesterday was kind of a "blah" day -- nothing bad, just mild side effects but enough to slow me down.  We did get a start on getting clothes laid out in the guest room in preparation of packing for the cruise, so I do feel like I got something done.

I never learned sign language, wish I had.  When DH was in Viet Nam '69-'70 I sent him love notes every day.  Snail mail back then!  I googled Teal Talk -- and salute all women who have dealt with ovarian cancer.  The quote is kind of funny, will pass on the meal, drink and wine.  

We were in Qaqortoq on the VOV in 2018.  It was a crisp, sunny day and DH and I walked all over town (and up the hill that Sandi @StLouisCruisersclimbed also).  The only downside was the millions of flying insects that flew in our faces with each step.  Other than that it was a very nice day.

Welcome home Annie and Chuck @marshhawk

Jacqui @kazustay safe!

Debbie @dfishthinking of you and Sue as you're house hunting this weekend.  

Bruce @aliaschiefyou said not to say anything so I won't 😄🙃😉

And some photos from our walk in Qaqortoq.

After stepping off the tender this is the first scene we saw.

1727104893_tenderdropoff.jpg.e3cb37081cbb78c31275706837529014.jpg

We walked for a couple hours before heading back to the tender.

peaceful.jpg.77937ccd5fd77a42fed091ef43f0f39f.jpg

The yellow building on the far left is the school house.

1655028723_yellowschoolhouse.jpg.373ced265f27162c89daed7d0460e246.jpg

No car stuck in the building when we were there. 😞  

Rockhouse.jpg.9727ae86b8dc5d8538fcf6a2df1ee734.jpg

Oldest fountain in Greenland.

1049151616_oldestfountaininGreenland.jpg.d00659610c36823569aa1187a16b1728.jpg

Carvings in the rock

993454417_facecarvingsinrock.jpg.d2eed16d668d099db0c0527de9c8e260.jpg

1069157718_carvingsinrock.jpg.d287f1ce3139d369fa591cc26fd891eb.jpg

I loved all the colored buildings.

682467641_coloredbuildings.jpg.f1c5899467a1b61643f73cd68a8eacc7.jpg

View from the top of the hill.  

1312544588_fromtopofhill.jpg.bb5e5c7beb15b35674d46a7261df78b9.jpg

One of those flies (?) caught in the middle of this photo.

fly.jpg.47669c8d85c0f10abfae394f14d58934.jpg

And some icebergs seen from the tender returning to the ship.

355399504_icebergsseenfromtender.thumb.jpg.aa06abe7e766c08fd43640d43b9a2fa0.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1