The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday October 20th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Brandied Fruit Day, International Chefs Day , and U.K. National Waiters Day

When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.--Groucho Marx

Meal Suggestion for today - Kaldereta
Drink of the Day - Dancing With The Devil
Wine of the Day - Mimi Chardonnay, WA
Destination of the Day - Hualien, Taiwan

Eurodam

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala 08:00 - 18:00

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 10/24

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles eta 10/21

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Port Canaveral, Orlando, Florida eta 10/21

Noordam

At Sea Destination Bora Bora eta 10/23

Oosterdam

Kotor, Montenegro 07:00 - 14:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination New York, Caper Liberty Bayonne NJ-NYC eta 10/26

Volendam

Kotor, Montenegro 07:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

Agadir, Morocco 07:00 - 13:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Pago Pago, Tutuila Island, American Samoa eta 10/21

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

Suva, Viti Levu Island, Fiji - 16:00

1020World.thumb.png.5aac1bdcb8e1a6144a2f151fce873bfd.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for the Daily Fleet Report!  There is that 4 letter s word in the forecast here today.  Thankfully my dh put my winter tires on  a week ago and put my daughter's winter tires on yesterday.      Waiting to see what today's meal is.  I think I'll pass on the wine and the drink.  I've never been to today's port. 

• Like 25

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Funny quote from a funny guy.

We had a rude awakening day yesterday with temperatures in the mid 50s and low  60s, when you're accustomed to high 80s and low 90s it was tough as a cold front moved in. 70s today and tomorrow and back to the mid 80s for the next week and hopefully beyond. As cold and windy as it was I managed to shoot my age right on the number with a 76. 

So we had the AC guy out  yesterday and will have a new unit on Monday, as I suspected the old unit was  working 3 times as hard to cool off the condo thus the high electric bill.

Thanks for The Daily, everyone stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 28

Thank you for the Thursday report, Rich.  Three great culinary days to celebrate, today.  If I were Marx, I think I would rather have a good friend than a best friend.  Rich, I believe Rotterdam is actually going to Manhattan rather than Cape Liberty.  There's a Celebrity ship at Liberty that day and the New York terminal guide shows Rotterdam in Manhattan rather than Brooklyn,  I've never been to Taiwan (scheduled there on Amsterdam in 2017 but cancelled for political reasons) and I have no idea what the meal is.  My alternative is Fruit  Cup au Naturel, the turf from Surf and Turf, and Cherry Crumble Tart, as served on MS Amsterdam October 20, 2017.

dishes20.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP kochleffel’s friend Fran 10/16/22
RIP StLouisCruiser friend Beverly 10/18/22
Sudden death for cunnorl friend
HAL4NOW testing positive on Koningsdam
Cruisin single’s step son with double cancer
Vict0rian’s cousin in final stages of ALS
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri
Quaartzite Cruiser DH with post surgery complications
From the rotation:
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
Cruisin Terri leak damage
Sandi’s neighbor Linda

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard BrandelynCon
Birthday week with sister for Seasick Sailor
Birthday week for SusieKIslandGirl
Aliaschief off for a river cruise
Nieuw Amsterdam passengers reunited with ship
New apartment for Cruzin Terri
HAL Sailer DH visiting his sister
4 days for Oceansaway17 (Equinox 10/24 to 11/3)
3 Days for Cruisin Single (American Star 10/23 to 10/30)
 Cruising-Along(11/5), dfish, NextOne, Richwmn, Live4cruises,  SharoninAz (Nieuw Statendam  to 10/22),  MissG (Oosterdam  to 10/22),  HAL4NOW (Koningsdam  to 10/24), and AncientWanderer (Nieuw Amsterdam to 10/25), Dismomx5 (Rotterdam to 10/27) ,  and Av8rix (Rotterdam  to 10/30)
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 11

Good morning friends!  Well, another 32F morning but again it will be sunny but only 63 for a high.  Like @MISTER 67once we get past these few days of cold night temps we should head back to warmer temperatures.  Grateful for the abundant sunshine here lately.  Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Daily, and I hope you are all enjoying your cruise.  Today's quote is interesting to say the least.  I'm probably not going to partake in the brandied fruit.  Cheers to the chefs (including DH), and I hope all the UK waiters know how much they are appreciated.  I have no idea what the menu suggestion, kaldereta, is. I'll have some of Roy's menu suggestion though.   I've never liked the taste of chardonnay, so I'll stick with my favorites.  The destination of the day, Hualien, Taiwain was posted here on Dec. 17, 2021 so here is a link to Rich's post that day.  I haven't been to Hualien before.  When we did visit Taiwan we were met by DS's DSIL who was living there at the time.  She obtained a driver and picked us up at Keelung and took us out for the day sightseeing.  DS's in-laws are very nice people!❤️

Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the extensive Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers said before even hitting the treadmill today for all on the list.  Extra for Beverly and her DH, family and friends.  The people of Ukraine can use our prayers as they are still being attacked, yet fighting hard for their country.  I hope for some improvement on the Care list.  Meanwhile we do have a great list of Celebrations.  Hurray for all of you.

I hope everyone enjoys their Thursday!

• Like 24

16 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Rich, I believe Rotterdam is actually going to Manhattan rather than Cape Liberty.

Both CM & MT simply list NYC as the destination. Cape Liberty was the listed destination when the itinerary was loaded. I don't remember anyone mentioning a change, or emailing me, and I don't get any updates from anywhere else.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy!

It was quite chilly this morning. 48 with quite a breeze from the North. Had to wear socks with my Tevas. But the sun is just coming up, so it should get warmer. I may have to turn the heat on tonight. It was only 65 in the house this morning. This is a first. I have only lived here 7 years, but I have never turned my heat on in Florida before the end of November before. 

Luckily Bindi only chases cats…

E110CF26-3BE5-4344-8A70-9134216893C7.jpeg.75c7940c82540602463d2078e16eee1c.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Mimi Chardonnay, WA

I used the info for the 2018 vintage, since that is the one most readily available.  Enjoyed by consumers and at least one critic gave it a very good review. I guess I need to sniff a crayon, I do not remember them having a scent. 😎. Reasonably priced with several online distributors. Prices starting at $11.93.

88 Wine Enthusiast 

The aromas are expressive, with notes of baking spice, crayon and peach. Medium-bodied supple flavors follow. Ripe peach notes linger on the finish.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 5

Kaldereta is a Filipino meat stew that is traditionally served with a side of white rice. Although any kind of meat can be used in the stew, beef and goat are the preferred options. The dish is influenced by three centuries of Spanish colonization, and the word kaldereta is derived from the Spanish caldereta, meaning cooking pot or cauldron. Besides meat that is used in the dish, other ingredients include mashed liver, tomato sauce, and seasonings such as onions, salt, pepper, and garlic.  It is often garnished with sliced tomatoes, chopped onions, or fried potatoes on top.  Remember, if there is an ingredient you don’t like such as liver you can substitute or leave it out.

This is a straight forward beef stew type recipe.  It also suggests using a pressure cooker (Insta- Pot) to tenderize the beef.  https://panlasangpinoy.com/beef-kaldereta?

Beef Kaldereta

Here’s a recipe for the stew using goat meat.  (I don’t eat meat, but my husband says goat is delicious.  If it is on the menu in a Caribbean or Indian restaurant, he always orders it) This recipe suggests using peanut butter instead of liver spread.  https://www.seriouseats.com/filipino-kaldereta-recipe-with-peanut-butter

A bowl of kaldereta.

This pork Kaldereta recipe is very different from the first two, it is made by marinating pork with pineapple juice, soy sauce and pepper, then cooking it with gravy made by butter, onion, garlic, peanut butter, tomato paste, liver spread, fish sauce, banana ketchup, bell pepper and chili, until the meat become tender and aromatic.  

Pork Caldereta

This Chicken Caldereta version of Kaldereta, uses chicken legs but you can use other chicken parts or use the whole chicken.  https://www.pinoyrecipe.net/kalderetang-manok-or-chicken-caldereta-recipe/

Chicken Caldereta Recipe

In Manila,  you can buy Del Monte Quick 'n Easy Caldereta Sauce, it even contains the liver paste. https://lifegetsbetter.ph/our-products/culinary/del-monte-quick-n-easy-caldereta-sauce

Del Monte Quick 'n Easy Caldereta Sauce 80 g

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9

17 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

You can actually gain weight just walking through the famous Paul Bocus Food Market in Lyon, France. 
Transfer to boat in an hour.

Thanks for the report. We enjoyed a nice walking tour this morning.

Have a great day.

image.thumb.jpeg.48d13b2d1b6c1300f90a75565b208b3c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7f1e9fcab8319a71e125bae7fa07ad52.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.34ae42cb2e63094c037b04e7b7ed7556.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.22d1cc5bdc35bf2e5819af2df052afdc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.77dc8c0d2777bfef13dd5173bda04331.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.35c5fa1b222af3587f37dc19b56a36a7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.478757fb1420b7adee7dfd30872ae643.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0c1e24efb8929feba46d74ecd64d05ca.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e16b1f9b126278fae90ab9a674e21fe2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a98464c614a012b507e0b1eb23f6a2e5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.74a539fe39732cf416008a232e379355.jpeg

Heck Bruce, I gained weight just looking at your pictures!

• Like 13
  • Haha 14

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich.

Nice collection of days especially the Chef’s day & Waiter’s Day.  Perfect they are on the same day IMO.  LOL on the Marx quote.

The meal and the Chardonnay sound good. 

D367AA31-98C6-43A3-B723-BA0F947F44FE.jpeg.418dd52971ca6ad6a88073a4cf8c7ea5.jpeg

Sorry I didn’t get here yesterday - busy day with too many appointments on the agenda - among them my flu and covid booster.  I have two sore arms.  Apparently it is recommended that one go in each arm.  Ugh.  My pharmacist is really good with a needle so usually it’s ok but perhaps the Moderna and high flu dose require deeper plunges?  Certainly seemed longer to me.

Well, I don’t know what these guys did when they put my gutter guards on but when they cleaned out the down spout I think they went a little too hard.  My down spout has come off my eavestrough 😡 And of course, they are unavailable now.  Hopefully my guy can fix it. What’s next?  😞 

0B0F17FA-E705-499A-9392-8EAFB4058BEB.jpeg.41053e2289aba990f3cd2adde60f127e.jpeg

Hopefully I can accomplish something today assuming I don’t get another surprise from my airline changing my flights again.  I have so many cancellations and re-bookings I can barely keep track. 😬 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them, those suffering from Ian, Fiona and in Ukraine.  And a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone !!!!!

A4657D80-68C3-4DA3-B0C0-2AD3F31FEEB1.thumb.jpeg.0f779238cddab20f76a8e67d8db81bdf.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 25
  • Haha 7

Good morning Daily family. I took my DMiL to get her flu shot last night then we picked up burgers for dinner. Stayed too long talking (imagine that!) so I didn’t get to the grocery store (need stuff for potluck at bible study tonight) so I’m going this morning before work. Luckily we have flexible start times (any time between 6-8:30am) and just need to work 8 hours. One more hour before the store opens. 

Thank you @richwmn for our Fleet and Daily report. And @rafinmd for our Care and Celebrations lists. Prayers 🙏  for all on the Care list especially those that have lost family and friends. High fives for all on the Celebrations and Shoutout list. 👏🎉

Have a great day all. 😘

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 23

Good morning everyone and thanks to all for the Daily/Fleet report. It is cold here this morning but will be warmer over the coming weekend. The dog walking outfit of the day included gloves and a hat as well as a puffy jacket.

I will celebrate the days and like recipes presented by Tina @0106,thank you. Coworkers would make this dish for parties we had and it was always gone in an instant. I have had it with beef and pork and it is delicious. I think the first recipe and the Instapot will be tried later today.

@Quartzsite Cruiser, Lenda, I am so glad your family is arriving to help. I am also relieved that the surgical site is stable and hope you have no further complications. 

@cunnorl, condolences on the loss of your friend. I am glad your words were conveyed to the family when they had their service for her.

Fred the cockapoo got a good report from the vet. We have pet insurance and I am waiting to see if the meds are covered. Of course, they are really expensive!

@JazzyV, Vanessa, I hope you received some help for your GI troubles and that your eye flare up is better. I found that the various RA  meds that were injectables  all had GI side effects. They did save my joints and kept me working longer than expected so I would do it again. I hope you no longer get the hive reaction to the medication.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

It is raining and 15°C here today.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich and Roy for keeping the various lists updated.

Brandied fruit is nice.

Hats off to all waiters and chefs.

Nice food today.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Graham 

• Like 21

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

You can actually gain weight just walking through the famous Paul Bocus Food Market in Lyon, France. 
Transfer to boat in an hour.

Thanks for the report. We enjoyed a nice walking tour this morning.

Have a great day.

image.thumb.jpeg.48d13b2d1b6c1300f90a75565b208b3c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7f1e9fcab8319a71e125bae7fa07ad52.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.34ae42cb2e63094c037b04e7b7ed7556.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.22d1cc5bdc35bf2e5819af2df052afdc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.77dc8c0d2777bfef13dd5173bda04331.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.35c5fa1b222af3587f37dc19b56a36a7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.478757fb1420b7adee7dfd30872ae643.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0c1e24efb8929feba46d74ecd64d05ca.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e16b1f9b126278fae90ab9a674e21fe2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a98464c614a012b507e0b1eb23f6a2e5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.74a539fe39732cf416008a232e379355.jpeg

Those are amazing pictures. Made me hungry.

• Like 17

Good morning everyone. Thanks for the reports Roy and Rich. It was 30:degrees here last night but luckily I was sleeping. Yesterday I drove 30 minutes to a funeral and without exaggeration, I must have been in front of, behind, or next to at least 60 huge trucks . There are so many warehouses around here. . You really have to be a good driver.

Getting ready for a day of cleaning and catching up on some paperwork I have put off for a while.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Happy Thursday morning!   Rich, thank you for the Fleet and Daily Reports.    I do love to have my fruit macerated with a bit of Grand Marnier so I think that counts as brandy.  @aliaschiefthanks for starting our morning with the wonderful photos of the Bocuse market in Lyon.  A great way to start off International Chef's Day.   A funny quote for sure.  I thought today's recipes looked good but hearing liver essence is a part turned it into a pass for me.   The Mimi Chardonnay was on the list on the Nieuw Statendam last February and actually had it a wine tasting.  It is unoaked if I remember.  I have never been to Taiwan.   Roy, thank you for the Daily Care and Celebration reports.   Prayers for all cleaning up from Ian and Fiona and for the people of Ukraine.   Cheers so all aboard ships, have a wonderful and safe time.

Today is garden club at 6 at our local library with a talk about rain gardens.    I will be heading to buy bird food and hit Starbuck's as our Costco has not had our Decaf for a few weeks so Starbuck's it will be.  For some reason it is really hard to find any selections of decaf coffee in stores lately.  Ditto sugar free caffeine free soda.   Have a wonderful day! 

CST lilac 62322.JPG

• Like 27

Good morning from the Nieuw Statendam at sea. Tomorrow we will be at Cape Canaveral. Sunrise was gorgeous this morning. Photo curtesy of Craig. 

6164A30C-F3A1-448D-8E4A-365C2527FB15.thumb.jpeg.edd360330bd465bf42a387ea5d0144eb.jpeg

The internet is really slow this morning so I’ll stop with one picture. 

Bruce @aliaschief— your food tour looks amazing. Paul Bochuse is an icon. And those oysters!  Enjoy your cruise. 

We have nothing planned for today. I just love these sea days. 

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
Double picture
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 5