The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday November 18th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning Dailyites. A cold morning here in Georgetown. Not going to complain as I see the snow report for Buffalo.

No. No. No to sardines!

image.png.2354ffd7dee040495bd70d7ee89eac19.png

Prayers lifted for our friends in need. Safe travels for Sandi and Dixie and all travelers for the upcoming holiday. 

Our neighborhood is celebrating Thanksgiving this afternoon at our retreat. 145 last count! We have a fun venue called Name that Tune Bingo. And we have 2 turkeys (actually foam pumpkins) that have $50 each of scratch tickets. The proceeds go to Blue Santa. It will be a fun night. 

Thank you Roy for taking us along on your cruise. Sure would love to have your dinner from last night. That lamb looks delicious!

We are watching our friends dog for a few hours this morning. He's curled into my lap sleeping away. He's adorable. 

Wishing everyone a blessed day and safe and happy weekend. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Interesting that your guy takes reservations.  Mine is strictly first come first serve.

Roy

I used the concierge to get an appointment.  I met her in the lounge.  

I booked two cruises.  What I didn't realize is that Crew Appreciation is being added to any booking regardless of Have It All. So we booked the mid price with Crew appreciation and without HIA.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I used the concierge to get an appointment.  I met her in the lounge.  

I booked two cruises.  What I didn't realize is that Crew Appreciation is being added to any booking regardless of Have It All. So we booked the mid price with Crew appreciation and without HIA.  

Crew appreciation is for Black Friday Sale.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I like apple cider, Mickey Mouse and not sure what Princess day is. Interesting quote.

Hard NO to sardines. I'll pass on the drink and yes to the wine if someone else buys it for me.

I haven't been to Kushiro.

Another 27F morning today; we may not make it up to freezing. Some flurries off and on. OMG on the snow Erie and Buffalo are getting! I'm feeling ok so far today. I just had coffee. I'll be doing laundry and trying to pack 2 separate bags. One for the road trip and one for the ship. 

@StLouisCruisers Safe travels and have a wonderful cruise!

@summer slope Safe trip and Bon Voyage!

@Cruzin Terri It sounds like you got a lot accomplished toward your new bathroom. 

@Crazy For Cats That sunshine looks awesome.

@rafinmd Thanks for adding me to the list. 

@ottahand7 Wow on the snow! I'm glad your meeting was cancelled. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Sorry to hear about the wheel and tire incident. Thankfully you were ok. I'm glad you have the 2nd car to use. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!

I’m sitting in the waiting room while DH has a procedure done. We don’t talk about it much but he’s had bladder cancer for a number of years. As his doctor once said to me, this is more a nuisance than anything else. He goes for regular checks and if no new growths have appeared that’s good news. As long as new growths haven’t gone through the bladder wall (none ever have) they just remove them. It’s just something we live with and don’t think about it until days like this. 

DDIL worked as an Imagineer for Disney until recently. She always said she worked for “The Mouse”  🤣

I like apple cider and have never been a princess. Hard pass on the sardines. 

I hope everyone has a great day!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

Happy Friday! Can’t believe we leave for the airport in just 24 hours, heading to Rome for our Island Princess cruise.

And I guess we were a little early for apple cider. We had the annual family apple cider pressing party a couple of weeks ago and made about 40 gallons. It was a great afternoon and potluck dinner to end the day.

Enjoy the weekend and happy travels.

• Like 21

Good morning! Another sunny and cool 48 degrees this morning in the Castro Valley. There are canned sardines then there are the fresh grilled sardines that you get around the Med! Those are delicious! When I grew up in Vermont we would go to a cider mill and get a large jug of fresh squeezed Apple cider. That non pasteurized cider was delicious but I’m not a big fan of today’s cider. I hear certain area still offer the real cider but haven’t come across any.

Last night we went out to a small family run Thai restaurant and had a great family style dinner. Tonight we are going to a Vietnamese restaurant that has a reputation of offering great Pho. One thing we like about our visits out here is the many cultural dining experiences.

Tomorrow we’re traveling down along the Pacific Highway to the rental beach house kids have rented in Cayucous. Will be there for a few days visiting some wineries and we have reservations to visit Hearst Castle. We’ll return here for Thanksgiving.

Having a grand time. Enjoy your weekend, cruises and holiday plans. We truly are so thankful for all our Blessings.

Bruce

• Like 22

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Friday report, Rich, from a stormy Caribbean.  I like Apple Cider but haven't had it recently, and will pass on Mickey Mouse and Princess days  Kushiro was  actually my first port on my Grand Asia segment after missing Dutch Harbor due to storms so it was my first land after many sea days.  I think I like the Lady Gaga quote but will pass on the Sardines.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Roasted Lamb Shoulder, and Vanilla Ice Cream as served on MS Amsterdam November 17, 2022:

dishes17.jpg

Today’s care list:

Medical emergency on Oosterdam
Kazu severe foot injury
Ottahand7 Brother in rehab
Terri’s next door neighbor Joanne with stroke and complications
Jazzyv digestive issues
Cruisin Terri continuing autoimmune flareup
From the rotation:
cruisin single step-son with double cancer and months of recovery before kidney removal
Quartzite Cruiser DH in rehab
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and poor attitude

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Alianchief in California
Work about to start on Cruisin Terri’s house and great progress with insurance and contractor
2 days for Cruise Suzy, Lazey1, and HAL Lover (Rotterdam 11/20 to 11/30)
1 days for StLouisCruisers and Summer Slope (Volendam 11/19 to 12/17)
1 days for Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam 11/19 to 1/14/23)
Norseh2o (Sirena to 11/18),   Kazu , 0106, jimgev, Heartgrove and ger_77 (Oosterdam to 11/19).  RednckBob (Beyond  to 11/20), CrazyForCats (Nieuw Amsterdam to 11/20), and me (Eurodam to 11/20) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham 

• Like 6

Late this morning. I slept in as did the dogs. It was somewhat warmer when I walked the dogs. The Chi did not scream when I put his coat on.... not sure if it was the pain meds he is on or if he realizes I am not going to break his little legs. Anyway, better all around.

No, No, No to the sardines. When I was doing archaeology in Alaska in the early 1960's we had to be resupplied by float plane. Weather was bad, he could not get in. We were running low on food so they did a food drop. Tins of sardines!!! lots of them. We were afraid we were going to attract every bear in Alaska.... and some people did not like fishies.  Anyway, they did resupply again but it was 10 days...and existing that long mainly on tinned sardines was enough to put me off of them for life. (sadines for breakfast, sardines for lunch, sardines for supper).

Last night was our open house for the shelter renovations. It went well, but I was exhausted when I got home. Standing around being pleasant for 3 hours is hard work. A surprising number of the people there were former students. At least they were still speaking to me.

Those who are headed for ships..... have a great trip. Someday my day will come.

Susan

Edited by durangoscots
  • Like 19

4 hours ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Off to The Big City (Charlottesville) for a routine medical appointment, preceded by visits to Costco, Trader Joe’s, & Whole Foods to prepare for tomorrow’s dinner.

👍👍👍

My kind of grocery shopping.

Trader Joe's is now on XBGuy probation, though.  On my last visit I could not find the Greek Medley olives.  I asked and learned that this has been discontinued.

Grrrr.

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

Another cool, crisp day here with blue skies.  Next week it will be warmer, with clouds and rain for awhile.  Not sure if apple juice qualifies as apple cider as I think cider means it is fermented and has some alcohol in it.  Anyway, we usually have apple juice and guava juice in the refrigerator and I like it two thirds apple and one third guava.

Yesterday I took my car (Prius Prime) to the dealer for a free oil change and checkup courtesy of Veteran's Day.  Was pleasantly surprised they found nothing that they could charge me for and even gave me a coupon for a free car wash.

I actually like canned sardines.  Eat them fresh from the can on toast.

We will stop in Kushiro in Northern Japan this April on our way from Yokohama to Seattle on the Westerdam.

Ray

• Like 17

Good afternoon from a windy, chilly day with flurries in SE Wisconsin.  We've had a few inches of snow, seems way to early!  I'm not a princess, but our grand daughters love Mickey and all of the Disney Princesses!  They got to visit Disney a year ago, but the Character meet and greet sessions were not up close and personal like they used to be.  Prayers for all who need them, and cheers for the rest.  Safe travels to everyone getting ready to sail!  Looking forward to our cruise in the new year...wish I could escape the cold weather now!  

• Like 17

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Just dropped off the turkey at the food bank. It was a 20 lb . I guess there’s some benefit to taking meds. My pharmacy is tied in with the grocery rewards program and earns bonus points.

Donating the turkey to the good bank is a wonderful idea. Turkey is quite a bit more expensive this year, and we buy them for our local food pantry now to give to families in the community. The grocery stores that used to donate dozens of them to our food pantry are no longer able to continue doing that.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

From our cruise on the Volendam 

Kushiro is the city on the northern Japanese Island of Hokkaido and was the first Japanese Port we visited on our Trans Pacific cruise in 2017.

The Island is specially famous for the beautiful cranes which are near the Western side of the Island 

We just went into town for a walk to stretch our sea legs ( after 8 Sea Days )  and to see the famous fish market there where we had a few nibbles and a delicious bowl of Japanese soup .

We could use a very nice warm bowl of soup here tonight  " baby its cold outside “ and snowy !

Without too much commentary today  , you’ll forget names etc anyways by tomorrow , just a few nice pictures 

image.thumb.jpeg.64898ea5f7aecd3c5b5b44be9070ab21.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e5701d50ab94ea0fc134003f90434b1d.jpeg

Loved this little car check the wheels and the paw prints on the hood 

image.thumb.jpeg.29483c9a9833a2bd598cba9fd94ce575.jpeg

Utility box cover 

image.thumb.jpeg.a7519bfc7538a77accdd54dbdf750cb5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.45a161052d27325f2d996ffcff926ce4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3e2447bff1efe8d555b5b7afb83e0f8d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a50eeea175a3e1902a1ab4c376dc0309.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.13ead015a2a8c2dce664eaee0347748d.jpeg

Near the Port Entrance , some photo opportunities for us cruisers ........wonderful to be a geisha for a day for the ladies !

image.thumb.jpeg.8c7f5478079ca6f7cf456dc7943a300d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.73334961270139162eb5d76952f3696e.jpeg

Or to get some special Japanese treats 

image.thumb.jpeg.43e836f840838268485b99f0c38372d5.jpeg

Have a great day everybody , working on a couple of cruises , got to get away for a few weeks this winter ! 

Tony :classic_laugh:
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 8

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Just dropped off the turkey at the food bank. It was a 20 lb . I guess there’s some benefit to taking meds. My pharmacy is tied in with the grocery rewards program and earns bonus points.

A few years ago, the company my husband worked for gave everyone a turkey at Christmas, or, you could donate your turkey directly to the food bank.

So many people donated their turkeys to the food bank, that the company stopped offering them to employees and donated them directly to the food bank.

It warms my heart.

• Like 20