The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday December 1st, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Christmas Lights Day, World AIDS Day, and Romania Independence Day

Destroying things is much easier than making them.--Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games

Meal Suggestion for today - Mustard-Crusted Mini Meatloaves with Roasted Apple
Drink of the Day - Cucumber Melon Margarita
Wine of the Day - Matchbook 2019 Red Gravel Estate Bottled Cabernet Sauvignon (Dunnigan Hills)
Destination of the Day - Ulvik, Norway

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Puerto Limon, Costa Rica eta 12/3

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 12/03

Nieuw Amsterdam

Falmouth, Jamacia

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Freeport, Bahamas eta 12/2

Oosterdam

Callao-Lima, Peru - 18:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Philipsburg St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles eta 12/03

Volendam

Manaus, Brazil 8:00am -

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Takoradi, Ghana eta 12/04

Zuiderdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Fremantle, Perth, Western Australia 08:00 -

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Melborne, Australia

1201World.thumb.png.de2d74455fb43e4041fedc0179b104d4.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 10

Rabbit  Rabbit   White Rabbit!

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Welcome December!

It's cold and windy here, I think I'll stay in and do Christmas cards.

The Christmas lights are up.  It's sad to think of all the lives lost due to AIDS.  Cheers for Romania Independence Day.

The quote is true and sad.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I think I'll like the drink, hope the wine isn't too expensive.

We've been to Norway but not to today's port.  Thanks in advance for pictures.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 27

Headed to Manaus today.

Cucumber Melon Margarita cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Hornitos® Plata Tequila
3/4 part Midori® Melon Liqueur
3/4 part Lime Juice
1/2 part Agave Syrup
3 slices of Cucumber
3 cubes of Fresh Cantaloupe

Instructions
Muddle cucumber slices, lime juice and agave in a mixing tin. Add ice, Midori® Melon Liqueur and tequila. Shake and strain over iced rocks glass with a salt and lime zested rim. Garnish with 3 cubes of fresh cantaloupe.

Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 6.50.20 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 8

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit.  Thank you Rich for the first Fleet Report and Daily of December.  Not sure if I'll do Christmas lights this year but I love to look at them.  Fortunately we have made great progress dealing with AIDS.  May Romania forever keep it's independence.  Sad but true on the Collins quote.  I have not been to Ulvik.  I think I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Coconut Nutmeg Soup, Roast Striploin of Beef, and Cherry Crisp, my first December dinner on MS Prinsendam, December 1, 2013.

Today’s care list:

RIP Jazzyv BFF dad 11/27/22 Funeral 12/3

RIP Christine McVee

Mamaofami grandson with Covid and Carol possibly exposed
Ichiban Nekko DH in Florida hospital
From the rotation:
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Cruisin Terri leak damage
Winter hitting ger_77 hard
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

luvterching DH doing great in rehab
Work started on Terri’s house
Quartzite Cruizer DH coming home
3 days for Mister67 (Nieuw Amsterdam 12/4 to 12/11)
2 days for Dobiemom (Discovery Princess 12/3 to 12/10)
Bon Voyage Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS, 12/1 to 12/9)
Himself (Nieuw Statendam 11/26 to 12/3), SusiekIslandGirl (Island Princess to 12/12)  StLouisCruiser  and Summer Slope (Volendam  to 12/17) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
Lindaler status confirmed
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 8

Good afternoon.

Rabbit Rabbit white Rabbit.

Thank you for today's daily reports Rich and Roy for today's lists.

It's always nice to see Christmas lights at homes or in cities.

True quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

Wishing everyone a lovely day.

Graham.

IMG_20221201_114808.jpg

IMG_20221201_121207.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 28

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich.

Good collection of days!  Hopefully I can hobble enough to get some type of lighting outside today.  I always turn them on for December 1st.  Otherwise it will be Saturday when it should be warmer (and raining) and my foot will be a bit stronger (I hope). There will be NO ladders on my agenda though 😉  I may need my holiday survival kit after!

62BFE50F-B3CB-459C-847C-B0F06ACA1D97.jpeg.e316e40acf434596c0bef2a636b4bfe2.jpeg

Happy Independence day, Romania and AIDS awareness and help remain so important.

Suzanne Collins sure had it right in her quote, sadly 😔 

I was awakened way too early this morning - freezing cold and hearing a loud noise.  Yup, the generator - lost power last night like thousands of people with the high winds.  By the time I got the portable heater and plugged it in, I decided I might as well make coffee as I was awake 😉 Looks like Saturday and Saturday night is going to be a repeat of last night with more high winds and rain. 😔   Lots of black ice on the streets today, for sure.

138957B3-0464-47B5-87B4-D7692675E120.jpeg.728eb0281e65a06923395d918c2ec479.jpeg

Since I am still coddling the foot - today will be focused on cruise planning & a new spread sheet for the October, 2023 cruise.  I have pretty much nixed the September one - odds of getting to Newfoundland are just not that great looking at past cruises.  Not worth it.  I think Newfoundland will be a land tour sometime in the future.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout out list.

35E9D0B0-FFE1-4532-A2A0-8B0E208661B0.thumb.jpeg.53ec027283b26b08368fa55e475c37f8.jpeg

Have a great Thursday everyone and stay safe.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Good morning! It’s 3:57 AM in California and I’m wide awake and feel like I’m zooming on cold meds. It’s currently 48 degrees and much needed  rain is eminent.

Doing better, less drainage and hopefully I’m on the mend from this terrible cold and can return home Monday.

Another day around the house so more time for reading and of course surfing around Cruise Critic

Thanks for the reports and post and concerns about my health.

Have a grand day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

A little cooler today with a high of 80 and breezy.

Good selection of days.

The quote makes sense.

I'll pass on the mustard coated meat loaf, that might be as bad as putting ketchup on a Chicago style hot dog which could get you exiled from the Windy City.

It was good to get back on the golf course, no problem with the finger but I was rusty and my tempo was off along with being stiff and sore from not playing for a month, I usually shoot from the mid 70s to high 70s and shot 89 yesterday.

We are just about all packed for our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise coming up on Sunday, I have 3 books written by some of my favorite authors that I'm looking forward to reading. 

Thanks for The Daily, everyone stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 31

43 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Headed to Manaus today.

Cucumber Melon Margarita cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Hornitos® Plata Tequila
3/4 part Midori® Melon Liqueur
3/4 part Lime Juice
1/2 part Agave Syrup
3 slices of Cucumber
3 cubes of Fresh Cantaloupe

Instructions
Muddle cucumber slices, lime juice and agave in a mixing tin. Add ice, Midori® Melon Liqueur and tequila. Shake and strain over iced rocks glass with a salt and lime zested rim. Garnish with 3 cubes of fresh cantaloupe.

Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 6.50.20 AM.png

If I have too many of these drinks will I get pickled 😳

• Like 7
  • Haha 10

Thanks for the Fleet Update and general info. Just two days until we board the NS. Look for RNB special wave from our diagonal balcony on Deck 6, unless I am still at the Ocean Bar. My cruise motto, the more you drink and eat, the cheaper the cruise; assuming you have a drink package.

• Like 17
  • Haha 3

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit!🐇

Good morning from a drizzly section of the Amazon, as we head into Manaus 4 hours later than originally scheduled.  I explained yesterday the reasons for the changes in our itinerary and will post that information from yesterday's Daily for Rich in case he didn't see it. 

Update for Rich @richwmn.  The Volendam has some changes to the itinerary due to low water levels going to Manaus.  The harbor master won't allow our ship to travel in some areas near Manaus at night so instead of arriving tomorrow at 8 am we will get there at noon tomorrow, Dec. 1.  We will be there all day Dec. 2 with tenders starting up again 5 am to 8 pm.  Then we will be allowed to leave Manaus on Dec. 3 at 8 am.  So two nights there and a day and a half for touring/sightseeing.  Because of our extended time there we arrive in Boca Da Valeria Dec. 4 at 7 am and depart at 3 pm.  Dec. 5 is at sea and Dec. 6 is Amazon River cruising.   Icoaraci (Belem) will now be Dec. 7 from 8 am to 6 pm, then we will speed to Barbados arriving as previously scheduled at 8 am on Dec. 10.  Hope this helps.

Thanks for posting this Daily every day for us Rich, and thanks Roy for taking care of the lists of Cares and Celebrations.  Prayers for everyone listed and hoping things improve soon.  Cheers and a toast to all celebrating.  Ulvik, Norway was our port of the day back on April 17, 2021.  Here is a link to that day's post. 

I don't think we've been there before.  DH says we could have passed it on our Best.Norway.Cruise ever because there was one spot that had a boat parade going on but I can't recall the name of the town.  I probably listed it in my Shutterfly photo book for that cruise, but Shutterfly is not allowing me to download that book to let me see. 

I hope anyone with photos can post them for us today.

Have a great day!

• Like 27

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I like meatloaf but am not a mustard fan, I’d replace ketchup for the mustard.  Maybe @dfish will change my mind with her recipes and pictures?  It was a rainy and very windy night.  This morning the sun is shining and promises to be a nice day.

While on the NA I booked a 10 day September Zaandam cruise that visits many ports in Canada that we haven’t seen before.  Tuesday I booked a December 2023 cruise to have a quick vacation before the holidays.  I cancelled an October cruise to make room for the two new ones and my deposit posted to my cc this morning. I thought that very good.

World AIDS Day is important to remember. I lost a circle of friends during the height of the crisis.

I hope everyone has a nice day today.

image.thumb.png.2306954cfbce1c0e62ae0cd10f872183.png

• Like 23
  • Haha 7

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! A lovely, cool morning here.

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Had a couple of early errands to run, a few more later and then my car desperately needs a good washing. This afternoon we decorate the bushes of the cul de sac with garland and bows. Then a HIIT class this evening. @MISTER 67 glad you enjoyed your golf game yesterday. You will get your tempo back in no time. 

When I saw this, I immediately thought of all of you, my fellow Dailyites. Thank you all being being who you are!

4E8DC8E0-C8E6-4BB9-99B0-8A9850DC4907.jpeg.ca0d9d196ec420bf21a8a15567460747.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating - that means you @Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda & Steve - a huge welcome home! Stay well everyone!

Matchbook 2019 Red Gravel Estate Bottled Cabernet Sauvignon (Dunnigan Hills)

This Cab is a bit more of a blend than many, but consumers and critics give it a very  good - excellent rating. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at a reasonable $12.99.

Winemaker Notes

The 2019 Matchbook Estate Bottled Cabernet Sauvignon is crafted from grapes grown entirely in their Dunnigan Hills vineyards. The wine opens with the beautiful varietal aromas of mocha, leather and toasty oak. Plush flavors of blackberry, vanilla, deep red fruit and olive tapenade are rich and mouth-coating. The dense flavors surround the tannins for a finish that is well-structured and smooth.

This is a substantial Cabernet that will pair well with the big flavors of a slow roasted prime rib, a hearty beef stew or a sizzling New York strip steak. 

Blend: 79% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13% Malbec, 8% Petit Verdot

WE90 Wine Enthusiast

This full-bodied and moderately tannic wine is well-packed with ripe blackberries and blueberries on a velvety, mouth coating texture. Good concentration and ripeness bring a warm, rich impression to the palate.

Best Buys

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 8

Good cold and sunny morning. 
  It’s also National Pie Day. Sadly, my favorite was from a restaurant at the Jersey Shore that closed several years ago. It was a peach glaze on a custard base. 
  Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 24

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit!

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I love seeing Christmas lights, but this year we were too late and it's too cold now to put any on the house.  AIDS has slipped off the front pages, but is still prevalent throughout the world - hopefully soon there will be a cure for it.  Happy for all Romanians who are celebrating their independence today.

I can hear a lot of scraping going on outside even though it's still pitch black.  Our neighbour plays senior hockey, so likely has a game, and has to shovel his driveway before getting out of the garage.  I really hope it's a light snow and we can just use the leaf blower to clear it.  Fingers crossed!

I made the first large roaster full of nuts & bolts yesterday and will make another batch today.  I use the largest roaster I own which will hold about 25 cups of cereal/nuts/crackers/pretzels without overflowing when I stir it, but I still have to make more than 1 batch.  Next will be Christmas Crack, but I have to buy several bags of popcorn twists first; after that it will be Puppy Chow (our DS's favourite), and then I'll do some sweet baking.  

@Ichiban NekkoI'm so sorry to hear your DH ended up in hospital; I know the pain of being medically disembarked with an ill spouse.  We ended up in Panama City.

@smitty34877hoping Tana's troubles are brief and that she will be on the mend soon.  Good wishes coming your way about your hip.

@Lady HudsonBon Voyage to you; enjoy your cruise to the fullest!

I like today's menu suggestion; I've never used mustard on top of meatloaf before, but it might be very good.  I always use a ketchup/nutmeg/dry mustard mix on mine, so I'm looking forward to seeing the recipes.  For tonight though, I've got to clear out space in our freezer, so have brought out a couple of containers of turkey soup that will be served along with mini cheese croissants courtesy of a trip to walmart the other day.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, cheers to all who are celebrating today.  Stay safe, be well.

EDIT:  I just went out to get the paper to discover our wonderful neighbour shoveled our entire driveway and sidewalk - woo hoo!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from partly cloudy, not windy, and cold central Texas.  The thermostat says it's 31F, but DH's weather station says 37F.  Either way, it is cold, and will only get to the low 50's today.  Tomorrow is supposed to be 71F, then we're back in the 50's.  It looks like our temperatures are going to yo-yo over the next ten days.

Christmas lights day is a good day to put out the last of the Christmas lights if it's warm enough.  Otherwise, the lights will be put out tomorrow.  I agree with @rafinmd Roy, that we have come a long way in the treatment of AIDS, but sadly it the treatments came too late for many.  Hope Romania remains independent,

Suzanne Collins' quote is sadly too true.

We'll pass on this version of meatloaf, but will have some in a day or two.  We'll also pass on the drink, but the wine sounds good and it's not too pricey.

Unfortunately, Ulvik is one Norwegian port we have not visited.

@kazu  Jacqui, hope December is better for you than November was.  Be careful outside when putting out the Christmas lights.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I'm glad you are feeling better, and I hope by Monday you will be well.  

@MISTER 67  That is good news your finger didn't cause you problems yesterday on the golf course.  Sorry that you shot above your normal score, but I'm sure your game will improve quickly.

It's time to get ready to head to the rehab facility one last time.  Yesterday was bittersweet when we said goodbye to the two wonderful therapists who were DH's main therapists.  December is already starting out to be better than October and November.  November did improve the last two weeks.

Lenda

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

A little cooler today with a high of 80 and breezy.

Good selection of days.

The quote makes sense.

I'll pass on the mustard coated meat loaf, that might be as bad as putting ketchup on a Chicago style hot dog which could get you exiled from the Windy City.

It was good to get back on the golf course, no problem with the finger but I was rusty and my tempo was off along with being stiff and sore from not playing for a month, I usually shoot from the mid 70s to high 70s and shot 89 yesterday.

We are just about all packed for our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise coming up on Sunday, I have 3 books written by some of my favorite authors that I'm looking forward to reading. 

Thanks for The Daily, everyone stay well and have a great day.

Mister 67,

Have a great time on the NA.  We will be headed your way on Saturday to Port Everglades to board the N Statendam.  Punta Gorda is our half way point to the port and always stop at Exit 161, Racetrack plus Arbys if hungry. It’s amazing the growth in your area. Years again I remember just one gas station at this exit and nothing else.

RNB

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 21

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.

image.png.bca1f09c4ed43818a31e5a508ac2e0ff.png

Good morning Daily-ites. I hope everyone had a peaceful night's sleep.

Prayers lifted and celebrations for those on cruises!

Hoping to hear from @Ichiban Nekko on DH.

@rafinmd hoping you find some relief on your lips and mouth. Did doctor diagnose you with Perioral dermatitis?

@aliaschief hoping your cold gets better. @MISTER 67 great news you were able to play golf, sorry about the score.

Sandi and Dixie, how has your cruise been? I look forward to hearing how things are going.

We do not have many Christmas lights outside except a few lighted items our neighbors will put in the garage for us after Christmas..

image.png.79486194509dcaca4325df74c657a9c8.png

Just a few shopping items to get for tonight's Mahjongg Christmas party. I'm making a Chicken enchilada dip. I'll pass on today's meal, drink, and wine.

Wishing you all a blessed day! 

@kazu

Good luck on the lights.

image.png.0a6ccfa207d14b34bd91248f8bee3024.png

• Like 20
  • Haha 9

13 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Mister 67,

Have a great time on the NS. We will be headed your way on Saturday to Port Everglades to board the N Statendam.  Punta Gorda is our half way point to the port and always stop at Exit 161, Racetrack plus Arbys if hungry. It’s amazing the growth in your area. Years again I remember just one gas station at this exit and nothing else.

RNB

Thanks RNB, hope you have a great cruise also.

The Punta Gorda area has grown, we lived in Bonita Springs for 17 years and then 10 years in Sebring and now 2 years here but I remember taking a ride from Bonita around 1994 to Punta Gorda and we said to each other "what a waste of time and gas", wasn't much to see and do so we turned around and hightailed it back to civilization.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 18

Happy Thursday Morning Dailyites ! Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit! 

$_86.JPG

I saw an interview with Trevor Noah this morning.  He said the one thing that we can not make more of is Time.  So in order to do all the things that we want to do, we have to rearrange the time we have.

Once the Bowl campaign starts, I wont have any time, except for doctors appointments,  laundry and eating.  I always make time for eating.  

We had meatloaf with BBQ sauce on it on Tuesday, meatloaf sandwiches yesterday and the last of the meatloaf last night.  I think if there was a bit of pork in the meatloaf, a mustard glaze would be perfect.  

Well I just realized that a bill is due today, so I need to go up to the mall and pay it.  Have to get a move on.

00e1455907de310705fdd3c69e339470.png

• Like 20
  • Haha 12