Should I Cancel?

Lovincruisin1321

My hubby is so excited to sail the 25 day British Isle cruise and I am struggling rehabbing arthritis in hip.

I have to start planning our excursions and frankly, I am having anxiety if I can do all the walking.  I have seven months to pull myself together but I am just freaking out over the airport, size of ship and tons of walking.

I quit my job to solely to work on me.  Water walking 4x/wk and hired a personal trainer.   Arthritis is a slow and painful process.  I feel like I am learning to walk all over again.  

I absolutely LOVE cruising.  Never have I felt so down about this and this is an incredible itinerary.

Anyone out there dealing with arthritis in hip?   Trying to avoid surgery but I don't want to let my hubby down.

Can I do this?   Right now I feel like I am training for a climb up Mt Everest!

Really would love some supportive words out there.   Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Of course you can go! If the rehab doesn't go as well as you hope, there are wheelchair and scooter rentals available,  w/c service in airports and to get on ships, and plenty of tours that don't require a lot of walking.  You can also stay on the ship when you need a break and send hubby off by himself.  Try to book a midship cabin. I'm taking 85 yo MIL on a cruise on Royal,  and booked obstructed Deluxe balcony midship. 

• Like 4

The airport is a no brainer.  Go on line and request wheel chair service from the airline you are using.   The service will be from the ticket counter to the gate and from the gate to baggage claim.  We use it all the time.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cruzsnooze said:

Why resist the cure of a hip replacement. It's not very traumatic and will improve your quality of life not to mention your mobility. In seven months you'd be fully recovered and racing to go.

Totally agree here.  My sister had it at about 75 and no rehab.  They told her the only rehab was walking.  After about three nights in the downstairs bedroom, she took herself up the 17 steps to her room.  We had to drag her up to walk, though, as she was very indolent generally.  We cruised a few months later.  EM

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, donswife said:

Of course you can go! If the rehab doesn't go as well as you hope, there are wheelchair and scooter rentals available,  w/c service in airports and to get on ships, and plenty of tours that don't require a lot of walking.  You can also stay on the ship when you need a break and send hubby off by himself.  Try to book a midship cabin. I'm taking 85 yo MIL on a cruise on Royal,  and booked obstructed Deluxe balcony midship. 

29 minutes ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

My hubby is so excited to sail the 25 day British Isle cruise and I am struggling rehabbing arthritis in hip.

I have to start planning our excursions and frankly, I am having anxiety if I can do all the walking.  I have seven months to pull myself together but I am just freaking out over the airport, size of ship and tons of walking.

I quit my job to solely to work on me.  Water walking 4x/wk and hired a personal trainer.   Arthritis is a slow and painful process.  I feel like I am learning to walk all over again.  

I absolutely LOVE cruising.  Never have I felt so down about this and this is an incredible itinerary.

Anyone out there dealing with arthritis in hip?   Trying to avoid surgery but I don't want to let my hubby down.

You do have 7 months and doing PT and exercises may get you where you want to be. However, I’d tell DH, if after all this preparation, I don’t think I can do it, we may have to cancel.  

Thats’s always a possibility.  I had knee surgery a few years ago and 3 mos later, we went on a Mediterranean cruise.  It was a challenge, but I did half day tours instead of full day. The afternoons I would do my exercises and ice.  It worked out, but some pain and swelling was expected, because the streets are cobblestone and some difficult to walk.

I would suggest tours with less walking and maybe half day tours, if possible.

You definitely should arrange a wheelchair in the airports, just for the distance, if you’re still having hip pain before your cruise.  

Best of luck to you!

• Like 2

I realize that deciding on surgery is a very personal decision, but count me as one who would be encouraging it for arthritis in the hip.  My sister had both hips replaced in 2022, one in August and the other in November.  She diligently followed her therapy routine and is now back playing pickleball and raring to go for our 29 day cruise in April.  

• Like 3

Hubby had up surgery nine months prior to our last cruise. Now he needs the other hip done. We are booked for two trips this year and have booked easy excursions for him. He has a walking regime and he has had the shot but as you know arthritis pain is just that pain.

You can do it in seven months, he said if needed we can always modify our days. I'm slow anyway with oxygen so we will make it work. See if the shot will work for you a week before your trip. It worked for him in Oct. but only lasted three weeks, pain was back when we got home.

Good luck, take help where you can, and enjoy.

• Like 1

Count me as another vote for hip replacement.  I've had 4 joint replacements since 2003: both knees, R. shoulder & L. hip.  The hip surgery/recovery was a breeze!  It's been 11 yrs. and doing great. Rehab was simply normal walking.

I'm now almost 78 & have very bad lower back issues (no replacement available).  So when I cruise (often solo), I use wheelchair access at the airports & at the port (thanks, Princess!).  On board & on excursions, I use a scooter and/or rollator/walker.

I've done the British Isles cruise (years ago; one of my favorites) & there is a lot of walking.  I'd strongly suggest renting a rollator/walker w/a seat so that you can rest as needed(even if you have the surgery).  The electric scooter makes the ship easier -- its 900 ft long (that's 3 football fields!).

Good luck with whatever decision you make!  

• Like 1

Add me to the list of recommending hip surgery.  In 2019 my husband had both hips done 8 weeks apart.  He had to do stairs the day after surgery as our home has 5 levels.  (The week following the second surgery I booked us into our Marriott timeshare in an accessible room.)  One week following the second surgery he could do the stairs.  Three months after surgery he was walking 3-5 miles daily.  Seriously it was life changing for him.  He lost 25 lbs and has kept it off.  His only regret was that he didn’t do it sooner.  With the anterior approach the surgery is nothing like it was years ago.  

I wish you the best.  Arthritis in the hip is painful with every step.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Why resist the cure of a hip replacement. It's not very traumatic and will improve your quality of life not to mention your mobility. In seven months you'd be fully recovered and racing to go.

I agree.  OP - it will make such a difference in your life.  I say that with experience cruising with osteoarthritis in both hips and then post hip replacement.

I did a 30 day South American cruise followed by 2 days in Rio and 3 days at Iguassu Falls with undiagnosed arthritis in both hips.  By the end of the trip I was using a wheelchair at Iguassu Falls and in the airports back to home.  Six months later I had both hips replaced 3 weeks apart followed by 12 weeks of PT which ended just in time to fly to Rome for 5 days followed by a 25 day transatlantic with only 2 or 3 sea days before beginning the trans Atlantic portion of the cruise.  I didn't need a wheelchair even in the airports and just used a cane then and when sightseeing.  By the middle of the cruise, I actually forgot the cane one day and never needed it again.

It is life changing surgery.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

Can I ask what ports the cruise is doing and what sort of excursions you are looking at? That may make a difference. 

Also how far away is your room from the elevators?

19 hours ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I'm fighting the battle too, with my left hip. I got a cortisone injection into that joint a couple of months back, and it's gone from agonizing to just sore all the time. Sore all the time, I can deal with. I'm thinking I'll do one more injection and then go for surgery. When I was getting the injection, I was gabbing with the guy who was assisting. He said he's had replacements in both knees and that worked out for him very well. He said I might or might not want to get the replacement done in the near future. I said that I was trying to balance not rushing into things with not putting it off until I get too old to recover completely (I'm 72). He said that was a very valid point and that he agreed it would be a mistake to put it off until then. Food for thought?

4 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I'm fighting the battle too, with my left hip. I got a cortisone injection into that joint a couple of months back, and it's gone from agonizing to just sore all the time. Sore all the time, I can deal with. I'm thinking I'll do one more injection and then go for surgery. When I was getting the injection, I was gabbing with the guy who was assisting. He said he's had replacements in both knees and that worked out for him very well. He said I might or might not want to get the replacement done in the near future. I said that I was trying to balance not rushing into things with not putting it off until I get too old to recover completely (I'm 72). He said that was a very valid point and that he agreed it would be a mistake to put it off until then. Food for thought?

I worked as an OR nurse for over 35 years.  I almost always advised that surgery should be a last resort...try everything else first.  BUT, with knee replacement surgery, it boils down to a quality of life issue.  It will definitely be a benefit to do it before it gets so bad you can't walk.  Bone on Bone is not going to heal itself...so just go for it!!  JMHO!

• Like 3

Arthritis runs in my family.  My grandmother had osteoarthritis so bad that her ankle joints were basically fused together.  My mom now has some knee and joint pain, which is also osteoarthritis.  I can't say anything about joint replacement as nobody in my family has ever chosen that option, however when it comes to cruising, that is activity, and the most important thing is to stay active.  There is no need to feel like you have to go into every port, or you have to do the most active tours or excursions in every port.  The best thing you can do is assess your therapy and treatment options, but to keep moving.

• Like 1

You can't rehab a hip that is bone on bone.  I've tried.  I did the couch to 5K, PT, hired a trainer, went to a chiropractor, got cortisone shots, you name it.  After I finally accepting my hip replacement fate, I went all in and had both done at the same time.  Was back to work in 3 weeks (desk job) and only regret was not doing it sooner. 

• Like 3

I’m 48 years old, single. My rheumatoid arthritis measures off the charts, I have scoliosis in my spine and osteoporosis of the spine as well. I’m not too keen on getting a metal rod inserted up my back to keep my spine straight and thankfully I’m not into too bad shape yet but nothing girl is going to keep me from living this life and making memories while I still have a chance to do it. Go on that cruise. 

• Like 2

@Lovincruisin1321

Like many have said, it's a personal choice to have hip replacement BUT:

I was totally bone on bone with osteoarthritis - so debilitating my muscles were atrophied in that leg - this at a very young age of 50+ (2008)

I have never regreted having it done - rehabbed at home and back to work within 6 weeks.  The BEST part - I was pain free and still am !!!!!

Definitely use all the mobility help if you decide to "work through" this - lots of good posts - Enjoy your trip!

Jane

I think you are thinking about this all wrong.

The best way to cure a concern about cruising is to do more cruising. Tell your husband he needs to take you on a test cruise in 5 months so you can be sure you are ready for the big cruise later. Maybe a 3 day or 5 day. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I would NEVER travel in a wheelchair again.

I KNOW this experience is NOT typical.

We did a cruise 2 years ago to avoid not losing all the credits. My knees were bad & I put off surgery.

Had to use a heavy brace & cane. SFO to Miami. Layover in Texas.

Did a wheelchair in the airport & getting on & off the boat.

Kind, fantastic service UNTIL the way back.

Got a TSA agent from hell. I told my husband to go ahead to the gate as I might take awhile.

I am a tough old bird but was caught so off guard by this agent I was in tears. She harassed me for almost an hour. I do not care what anyone says....nothing happens to these people.

She insisted I could walk. Took my cane AND brace & put them through the xray. She insisted on seeing my boarding pass. I told her it was in my purse which went through the xray machine. She told me how stupid I was to do that because you should always hold on to it.

It went down hill from there... I will not bore you with the rest of the sordid details.

Point is I never understood how totally venerable you are & how although most are kind, there are those few tormented souls that take their misery out on you.

Have now have had both knees replaced & have no pain in either one. Those are really bad ass surgeries but end result is worth it !

I hear that hip replacement is much easier nowadays. Do not put it off if inevitable. It will change the quality of your life.

• Like 2

You mentioned you have arthritis in your hips and I’m wondering what your orthopedic doctor recommended? Were you offered steroid injection? Did he/she recommend a hip replacement? There are many options and alternatives if you are not mentally ready for a hip replacement. I should also add my two cents, my husband had his hip replaced after coping with very uncomfortable pain. He’s extremely active and it was quite noticeable how the pain seriously compromised his quality of life.  He had the surgery and was up walking hours after the surgery, with just a couple of weeks of PT he returned to a stronger than ever activity level. Maybe you can have a long chat with your ortho doctor and he can guide you and give suggestions? I’m sorry, I know this is a difficult decision but one never knows what life will throw at you. I would do all I could to take that cruise.

• Like 1

i have had experience with this. My husband bought me a transporter. That is a walker that converts to a wheel chair. All 4 wheels are big, not like the little ones on regular walkers so it can go over any kind of terrain. When I get tired of walking, I can turn it into a wheelchair and he can push me. Now I can go anywhere with him and he doesn’t lose out on account of me. I wish you the best. Don’t give up. As the old saying says “Use it or lose it” Best wishes.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2023 at 3:29 PM, MTNest93 said:

You can't rehab a hip that is bone on bone.  I've tried.  I did the couch to 5K, PT, hired a trainer, went to a chiropractor, got cortisone shots, you name it.  After I finally accepting my hip replacement fate, I went all in and had both done at the same time.  Was back to work in 3 weeks (desk job) and only regret was not doing it sooner. 

Exactly my point!  Glad you took the plunge!!

• Like 1