The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday March 10th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Today is International Day of Awesomeness, International Find a Pay Phone Booth Day, and Middle Name Pride Day

You can't force love, I realized. It's there or it isn't. If it's not there, you've got to be able to admit it. If it is there, you've got to do whatever it takes to protect the ones you love.--Richelle Mead, Frostbite

Meal Suggestion for today - Za’atar Fish and Chips
Drink of the Day - Dekuyper Fuzzy Beam
Wine of the Day - Capraia Chianti Classico Riserva 2018
Destination of the Day - Vavau Islands Tonga, Neiafu

Eurodam

Panama Canal 05:00 - 05:00

Koningsdam

Papeete, Tahiti Island, French Polynesia 17:00 Depart

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 3-12

Nieuw Statendam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 15:00

Oosterdam

Buenos Aires, Argentina - 16:00

Rotterdam

Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Iles du Salut, French Guiana 08:00 - 17:00

Zaandam

Puntarenas, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica 07:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Durban, South Africa 07:00 - 17:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Sydney, NSW Australia 07:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Kochi City, Japan Kochi 08:00 - 17:00

image.thumb.png.b364bf42aa680bffb3994b1e132d140c.png

image.thumb.png.36d47443f106d3efcfc7081b1962c9f1.png

Sandi for Rich and Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.

Thank you so much Sandi @StLouisCruisersfor being the anchor and posting today's reports.

Your photos and posting the reports are awesome.

It is almost impossible to find a pay phone booth nowadays.

Excellent quote.

We regularly eat fish and chips.

Sending prayers 🙏 for all of our daily friends they might help.

I hope everyone has a great day and a wonderful weekend.

Graham.

• Like 22

Good morning friends!  I am going out this morning to my rescheduled hair appointment, and of course it will be raining.  In fact maybe even thunderstorming.  Temp now is 51 and it will reach 64 if we're lucky.  Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor today's content on the Daily.  He has chosen some good days to discuss.  International Day of Awesomeness sounds good.  I certainly hope that holds true for all of you.  We don't want an average day today.  How about International Find a Pay Phone Day?  I have only seen one in London in the the last decade.  Has anyone else seen one anywhere?  And tell us about your middle name because it's Middle Name Pride Day.  Mine is fine.  I can take it or leave it.  It's Kay and I'm not named for anyone in the family so it's rather blah.

Nice quote, the Za'atar fish and chips sound different, and I don't have anything to add about the drink or wine.  Hopefully Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepardcan elaborate and get us interested in trying them.  

Thanks in advance to Vanessa @JazzyVfor the Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers will be said for all on our list and those around the world in terrible situations. 🙏 I appreciate prayers for my DB.  Yesterday he felt lightheaded, his oxygen levels plummeted and they had to call an ambulance.  He recovered quickly and they didn't have to take him in for care.  I think prescribing oxygen would be a good idea but they haven't done that yet.  Now, on a happier front, three cheers for those on the Celebration list! 🥂  Hope you all enjoy your happy events and cruises.  Seems like we have a lot of people disembarking in the next week or so.  Enjoy the cruises while you can!

As Debbie mentioned yesterday snow is expected in Michigan.  DS, DDIL and both DGSs are flying to St. Louis this afternoon for a weekend soccer event.  Hope the flights are not affected from Detroit!  While there they will see some of our family members so that is a nice bonus.  Go Jaguars!🤞

The destination today of Vavau Islands, Tonga, Neiafu must be referring to the port of the day from May 28, 2021.  Then it was referred to as Vava u, Tonga.  On the internet it is listed as Vava'u, Tonga.  It is the second largest island of Tonga and the capital is Neiafu.  Hope that's all straight now.  Here's a link to that day's posts.  By the way I scrolled through all 6 pages and saw one person had been there before.  Ann @Vict0riann posted her photos from a visit there. I hope she can repost them.  (Also hope Pat is doing well this morning after his surgery yesterday).  However we did have a lot of flowers posted on May 28, 2021 in case anyone is interested.🌻  

I have not been there before so have no photos to share.  

Time for the treadmill, prayers, and the news.  Hope you all have an awesome day!!

• Like 27

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info SLC.

Interesting days to celebrate. The middle name celebration is very easy. Of course for me it’s Neck. Find a pay phone day is hard. Checked my local phone directory and it stated that a pay phone could be found at your local Woolworths, Sears store, K-Mart, or at the restaurants Steak & Ale or Bennigans. Funny story about a phone booth. I was in Vegas during Covid and playing this table game that had plexiglass enclosures. I looked at the very young man next to me and said, “Standing here in this enclosure reminds me of a phone booth”. He didn’t have a clue what I was talking about.

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 8
  • Haha 14

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

We've got snow in the forecast for this afternoon.  I wonder how much we'll get?

An interesting collection of days.  Everyone here is awesome. 🙂  I think I saw a pay phone last week, I should have taken a picture.  My middle name is the same as my mom's middle name and her mom's middle name.  I guess it's a family tradition.

I like the quote.

I haven't had fish and chips in years but it would be interesting with the za'atar spices.  I hope the drink and wine are tasty.

Thanks in advance for pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Have an awesome day everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 23

Happy Friday. Thank you Rich, Sandy, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, Ann and the rest of our posters.  Welcome @lvhh; is this your first  post here?

Slept well again last night and will soon be leaving on errands. 

I have not been to the port, not sure when I last saw a pay phone, will pass on the fish and chips, and agree that all our posters here are awesome.  My middle name is my father's first name.

Love the quote.

Roy

• Like 28

Good morning all.  Thanks for the daily report. Well, it’s Friday, how’s that for awesome?   My middle name, Gerald, was my father’s first name and I quite like it.  I feel like I saw a real pay phone booth last week but I just can’t place it.  True quote today.  The meal sounds good but it’s stuffed shells here today.  I’ll wait to decide on the drink, it is only 6:45am!  I look forward to the photos of today’s port. Prayers for everyone on our list.  Cheers to all of you celebrating happy events today.  

• Like 22

Good morning everyone. I’m up with the birds but it’s actually too cold for any to be around. 
My health care plans with the city of ny are under attack and I’m going to have to search for new insurance. What a pain. No pun intended.

Off to PT this AM and getting my house ready for cateract surgery later this month. We’re expecting snow later so I’ve charged up my kindle in case we lose power.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, All.  You guys are awesome.  I have a tiny red English phone booth in my little house village in the living room.  So there it is!

DH calls me by my middle name a lot.  But he also calls me Ann and anything else that comes to mind.  I’m always getting apologies from people:  “Oh, I’m so sorry if I’ve been calling you the wrong name.  I heard your husband call you Betty.”  🤷‍♀️

I’m not familiar with the Za’atar fish and chips or the drink.  Will wait to hear more about that. Can’t drink red wine and haven’t  been to Tonga.  Some day.  

March is kind of a wild month here — LOTS of babysitting and many routine maintenance doc appointments.   It will be nice to have all of it done.  

Thanks, Sandi, for taking the reins here.  It’s very kind of you.  The efforts of all are greatly appreciated.

Happy Friday!

EB3BF9A7-97FB-4115-8DF3-8C056135F868.jpeg.4ca41c46a8730a12121973bf3c91d729.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Haha 9

Good Friday morning. We are at Devil's Island today and they are expecting many to tender off. We didn't get our Yellow Fever vaccination so are staying aboard.   It is beautiful here. I am enjoying my port side balcony with a lot of morning sun on it and a nice breeze.   I have a very good phone signal so the place must be more civilized than we had imagined.  Cellar Master Dinner tonight.  They pulled a fast one on us and changed dressy day to tomorrow.  We will have to slink into the MDR tomorrow, I kept a nice dress unpacked but I am afraid anything John has might not fit or went out to storage with our winter clothes. It was supposed to be tonight.  

Sandi thank you for the Daily Reports and Vanessa for the cares report.  Prayers for everyone needing them and the people of Ukraine.  

We spoke with our regular waiter last night and he sometimes does room service.  He said the isolation cabins get served first.  We asked how many and he said 14 which he said is much better than the Volendam last November which was 73.  Sandi I think that was your ill fated voyage on the Volendam. 😥

We had a beautiful sunset last night.  Nancy 

IMG_20230309_182937640_HDR.jpg

• Like 28

Today’s care list:

Roy recovering from pneumonia

Vict0riann’s DH Pat recovering from surgery

Dailyites not sleeping well

StLouisCruiser’s family member with a stressful week

Cruzin Terri with pain from myofascial strain

Difficult days for Jacqui (kazu)

Citizens of Ukraine/CA deluged by snow and rain

From the rotation:

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Scrapnana undergoing chemotherapy

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Celebrations and Shout outs:

Aliaschief celebrating good health news

Smitty34877’s new aide for Tana

Mamaofami doing well with balance

Cruzin Terri’s bathroom nearer to completion

2 days for Lady Hudson’s sister cruise (Anthem of the Seas 3/12 to 3/19)

7 days for RedneckBob (Celebrity Constellation 3/17 to 3/27)

SusieKIslandGirl (Noordam to 3/11), Cruisercl (NCL Bliss to 3/12), TAW1963 (Ruby Princess 3/12), ottahand7 and Lindaler (Volendam to 3/18), Suslor (Zaandam to 3/18), Seasick Sailor and 57redbird (Koningsdam to 3/25), Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to 4/6), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

• Like 22
  • Thanks 10

3 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good Friday morning. We are at Devil's Island today and they are expecting many to tender off. We didn't get our Yellow Fever vaccination so are staying aboard. 

Nancy, DH and I aren't able to get the yellow fever shot either, so I'm curious about how that works.  My understanding is you can get a doctor's waiver and board the ship, but then is it your choice to stay onboard in certain ports or are you not allowed to leave the ship?  Or does each country decide what they will accept?

Anyone else who has experience with this, please do chime in as well.

There are a lot of itineraries we have been avoiding because of the YF shot.  We're thinking of getting the waiver.

• Like 17

@AncientWanderer we made a personal decision to stay aboard.   I am immune compromised and they were so adamant about it we decided to err on the safe side. When we boarded they had a collection box for them at GS.  We handed in our signed ones never to be returned. If we return here we will give them our copies. No communication about not being able to disembark.  Nancy Jeanne 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from sunny and warm St Petersburg.  

Today is our annual ferry to Tampa day.  Taking the ferry from downtown St Petersburg to downtown Tampa, it leaves from the beautiful Vinoy basin and past the new pier, it follows part of the same channel the cruise ships follow into port there.  We will walk the Tampa Riverwalk past the historic Tampa University Towers to a lunch spot and then return to St Petersburg.  This morning's ferry is sold out.

Enjoy your day wherever you are.

20211117_155320.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

@AncientWanderer we made a personal decision to stay aboard.   I am immune compromised and they were so adamant about it we decided to err on the safe side. When we boarded they had a collection box for them at GS.  We handed in our signed ones never to be returned. If we return here we will give them our copies. No communication about not being able to disembark.  Nancy Jeanne 

Thanks so much for the quick reply.  I would probably choose to stay onboard as well.  The trip you've been on has looked wonderful.  Thanks for sharing all the photos and stories.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good Friday morning.  Sunny day today, going to try out a new place for lunch.  We are slowly getting out more.  Still nervous.

Dekuyper fuzzy Beam cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part DeKuyper® Peachtree® Schnapps Liqueur
2 parts Jim Beam® Original
2 parts Orange Juice
Garnish with Maraschino Cherries

Instructions
Build in order over ice in a highball glass. Stir. Garnish with a cherry or orange

Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 7.33.12 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 8

Good morning, everyone.

Winter is back here in mid-Michigan.  It isn't too bad so far which is a blessing as Sue has an 8:00 am appointment for her car and she needs me to pick her up after she drops hers off.  

I did get the results of my CT scan yesterday on My Chart.  It seems everything is the same and I now have an appointment with the endo to discuss next steps.  He was leaning towards waiting and watching for a  year, but this tumor is functional and spitting out excess amounts of cortisol.  I've "watched" it for a year and want to be paroled.  I do feel the effects of the excess cortisol and it is time to get rid of the offender.  I have an appointment on Monday to duke it out.  

Za’atar Spice is a blend of savory dried herbs like oregano, marjoram or thyme, and toasted earthy spices like cumin and coriander, with sesame seeds, salt and the most important ingredient of all… sumac! Sumac gives it the delicious unexpected tanginess that is the key to the best zaatar.  Here is a recipe for making it at home.  You can look for it in Middle Eastern groceries or order it online.  

https://www.feastingathome.com/zaatar-spice-recipe/

zaatar-spice-recipe-100.thumb.jpg.c436a8dc5f9b586869a7f55315908683.jpg

Epicurious let me in last night when I was choosing my recipes.  Hopefully, they'll let you in to retrieve it as well.   https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/zaatar-fish-and-chips

FishnChips1.jpg.e574ccc29a3603f8530fb6bf961c359d.jpg

This one includes a nice lemony mayo sauce.  I think that would work for the potatoes as well as the fish!   https://endsandstems.com/recipes/oven-roasted-zaatar-fish-chips/

FishnChips2.jpg.278ac727b913bc5f371bddba4456576e.jpg

This one looks really good with the coating of breadcrumbs.  https://thespicepeople.com.au/recipes/zaatar-fish-and-chips-with-sumac-tartare/

FishnChips3.jpg.526c5f4f4301c080484a20112b275bd2.jpg

And for our last recipe we have an upgraded version of fish sticks.  Mmmmm.  https://thecuriousplate.com/baked-zaatar-fish-sticks-and-chips/

FishnChips4.thumb.jpg.c64822808d6b511aed0f27a15d4bd7d7.jpg

While they all look good, I think I'm going with #3.   How about you?

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for getting us started, Sandi!  Rich, thank you for setting it up, so that the magic can keep happening while you cruise the World!  It is a lovely, but cool morning in the neighborhood. Bindi opted for a longer walk this morning. 

Vanessa, thank for keeping our Care & Celebration lists. 

Just one gym class for me, but I need to run an errand first. Then Bindi and Emma walks. I might hunt down & mark the sprinklers between the street and sidewalk, since a new internet/tv provider is laying down cable in the next month or so.  Wish me luck. 

CEE1F0A5-B746-4873-A2E2-C88F471BA339.jpeg.701f6a1fd531d7945e6520cd41803129.jpeg

47D95B51-4C45-43CB-9026-15C9AC8FC7EB.jpeg.57c7ddf8f2c64af0f62b84099dc241cc.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well & stay well everyone!

Capraia Chianti Classico Riserva 2018

Those of you in Europe might be able to find this vintage, but I could not find anyone that would ship it to me. Online distributor prices start at $26.36. But I am not despairing because not only is the 2019 vintage available to me - it is cheaper and its reviews are even better than the 2018’s. So you folk in Europe may just want to opt for the 2019 vintage, too. Online prices start at $19.99.

Winemaker Notes

Chianti Classico Tenuta di Capraia is a wine with an optimal complexity and structure. Ruby red colour with violet tinges. Intense and rich aroma, vinous, fruit-driven. Pleasant cherry notes, refreshing and well-balanced with hints of integrated vivid tannin.

Pair with white meat, red meat and medium-aged cheese.

WE89 Wine Enthusiast
Made with Sangiovese, 5% Colorino and 5% Canaiolo, this has aromas suggesting black-skinned berry, underbrush and cooking spice. The juicy palate offers black cherry, clove and star anise alongside polished tannins. Drink through 2025.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

Good Morning, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today is a nice sunny day with a storm coming overnight.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion but agree with @dfish, number three looks best.  I’m sure the cats will remind me of how awesome they are.  Yesterday’s meeting was just a session on how great the company is, my time would have been better spent working customer issues.  I’ve started planning my first work road trip since the shutdown, I have mixed feelings about getting on the road again.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.cf1221e0fadb30bdc3d022d053a76724.png

• Like 12
  • Haha 12

All of you who keep The Daily going are AWESOME!!!

So maybe we should call today “The HAL Daily Awesomeness Day!”

All of the girls in one branch of my family have their Mother’s Name as their middle name.

All of the boys in one branch of my family have Joseph as their middle name.

This tradition is up to its third generation, so it may just stick.

The weather forecast looks like winter may finally hit.  We have blooming trees and jonquils and new grass everywhere.  I just hope it survives the nastiness that is forecast for this weekend.

Stay Safe, Everyone!

• Like 22

I have an issue with awesome. Young colleagues in education are always asking for "an awesome lesson plan" or "an awesome family program," or an awesome something. Almost nothing in education is awesome, but there are many good lesson plans, programs, etc. Somehow I don't expect to be awestruck by a lesson plan.

There's nothing wrong with my middle name, but I don't use it. I haven't seen a phone booth in a long time. The last one I used was in London, in 2008.

I use zaatar in and might like it with fish. Not very enthusiastic about chianti or fuzz.'

I'm having a blood draw this morning, so while I would like coffee and breakfast now, I'm having only water, as much of it as possible since (a) I'm prone to vasovagal syncope, (b) I'm rather hard to get blood from, and (c) I think they're going to need about eight tubes, my doctor having ordered the most blood tests I've ever had at one time.

cheeseglue.thumb.jpg.43b1e26afcfa79e730ac5afe416c0720.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 14
  • Haha 14

Good morning. I completely agree that everyone here is awesome. There are no phone booths around here but I did see a pay phone the other day when I went inside the car wash to pay. The man told me that it no longer works…My middle name is  my grandmother’s and rather distinctive .

We are planning breakfast for dinner here tonight and I am preparing a strata dish that is popular with everyone and vegetarian as well. It is nice when things are prepared earlier in the day and there is less chopping and mixing later. 
I thought of all of you at 3 am when I was wide awake for no good reason. I very much want to be in the sleeping through the night club but it is not in the cards. I even tried benedryl last night.

The storm going to Massachusetts and New Hampshire with snow will bring us lots of rain. It will go up to almost fifty again today.

• Like 18